• Published 7th Mar 2022
  • 268 Views, 12 Comments

The Twilight-Zephyr Letters - Tunneling Carp



Every effect has a cause. We in Equestria know of Warm Zephyr's flight from Princess Twilight Sparkle’s rule, but the reasons she and her followers left are more complicated than ever imagined.

  • ...
0
 12
 268

The Twilight-Zephyr Letters

To Princess Twilight Sparkle

Dear Princess:

I write to you today with exciting news! I have made a discovery of momentous importance, one that could change our knowledge of the history of Equestria forever!

As you know, I returned to my hometown of Roanwood Pass over the school’s Hearth’s Warming break, to spend the holiday with my family and friends. I had no intention of continuing my studies during this break, especially considering the holiday’s importance in the history of Friendship. However, upon my arrival in town, I was immediately set upon by my dear foalhood friend Vivid Sunrise, who insisted I accompany her to her family’s house. Even though my plans were to spend the rest of the day with my own family, I of course could not refuse my friend’s pleas.

When we arrived at her house, she excitedly took me to her own room, where she showed me an old hoofwritten note. She told me she had found the note at the bottom of her parents’ safe deposit box, which she had been archiving as part of her own studies on genealogy. The note was written by her own great-great-grandmare, a fact I confirmed after comparing the hoofwriting on the note to other documents written by the same mare. I’ve transcribed the note as follows:

To the future generations of the Sunrise family:

I have in my possession a fantastically important hoofuscript, detailing the history of Equestria in a way nopony has seen before! The writings I have read so far are fascinating, but they have caused a surprising amount of turmoil among the townsponies. With our new princess's emphasis on Friendship, some are claiming the hoofuscript is a devious attempt to force them in line with the royal decree. I fear that if certain ponies obtain it, they will destroy it in their zealous opposition to the mandate. To ensure the hoofuscript doesn’t end up in the wrong hooves, I have instructed my daughter, Misty Sunrise, to hide it in a safe place near the peak of White Mountain, in a certain cave only she knows about. She will be the caretaker of its location, and after the outrage over the new direction of our kingdom dies down, we will be able to recover it and bring it to Canterlot. I believe its contents will be met in the royal archives with great excitement!

Knowing the ponies of this town, it may take years for them to accept the new princesses’s teachings. If my daughter is too old to make the trip once this happens, I leave it to whomever discovers this letter to obtain the location of the secret cave from her and retrieve the hoofuscript in her place.

I regret that I am likely too old to see the hoofuscript’s impact fully realized, but I will rest easy knowing my actions will preserve it for the future generations of Equestria.

Sincerely,

Goldie Sunrise

The note clearly dates from immediately before the start of the Eastern Rebellion, the events of which I know are familiar to you. I was of course intrigued by the prospect of a document that may bring to light additional details on the causes of the rebellion. You may or may not be aware, but the Eastern Rebellion is of particular interest to Professor Old Habit, who has lamented the lack of explanation of the rebels’ motivations. A hoofuscript specifically described as causing turmoil among the ponies of this region would be invaluable to his studies!

I asked Vivid Sunrise about the possibility of this hoofuscript having already been recovered. She stated that family legend places Goldie Sunrise and Misty Sunrise as among the Eastern Rebellion’s first casualties. I confirmed this fact with the town Chronicler, who showed me a record of their passing on the first day of the rebellion. If the note discovered by my friend is accurate, this means the hoofuscript must still be located in the cave where it was hidden all those years ago!

Princess Twilight, I would like to request a leave of absence from my studies at the School of Friendship in order to reclaim and study this historical treasure. Please reply at your earliest opportunity, I am eager to begin!

Your faithful subject, Warm Zephyr


Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria

To my dear student Warm Zephyr:

I am pleased to hear of your safe arrival in your hometown, and am equally pleased to hear of your discovery! The Eastern Rebellion is a blemish on the early days of my reign; moreover, it continues to be a blemish due to the noted lack of known cause. I have spoken to Professor Old Habit about the lost hoofuscript, and he is beyond excited at the possibility of its existence! We have agreed to grant your request: after the School of Friendship’s scheduled Hearth’s Warming break, you may take an extended leave of absence to search for this artifact and, if found, begin its study. I can think of nopony better suited for its analysis than yourself!

I would ask one favor of you, however. I know this is an exciting discovery, and I know that you are eager to search for the hidden cave. However, I believe you should wait until the conclusion of Hearth’s Warming break to begin your search. According to my research, White Mountain can be treacherous at this time of year. I know you are inclined to take immediate action, but it would be more sensible to explore the mountain as part of an expedition. Professor Old Habit is in the process of putting together a team to assist in your exploration of the mountain, which will be sent to Roanwood Pass once Hearth’s Warming break has ended.

Furthermore, this delay, as distasteful as it may seem to you on the surface, will grant you the opportunity to celebrate Hearth’s Warming as you originally intended. Remember, the school you attend is, first and foremost, a school of Friendship! And what could be more important to a student of Friendship than the holiday devoted to Friendship? Please, Zephyr, spend this break with your friends and family, and worry about finding the lost hoofuscript after the holiday is over.

I send warmest wishes for a safe and happy Hearth’s Warming, for you and the entire town of Roanwood Pass!

Your friend and teacher,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


To Princess Twilight Sparkle

Dear Princess:

I must start this letter with a confession. I did disobey the instructions in your last letter, although, in my defense, the disobedience was unintentional. As you predicted, it was indeed my desire to immediately begin my search for the lost hoofuscript. I anticipated your concerns surrounding White Mountain, though my experience allows me to contravene most of the cautions ponies unfamiliar with the region would observe. I should have made my plans to explore the mountain more clear in my previous letter, and for that I apologize.

I received your response immediately after returning from my first visit to the peak of White Mountain and I will immediately take your request to heart! How would it reflect upon the School of Friendship if I were to disregard Friendship’s most important holiday? I will spend the remainder of Hearth’s Warming break as a student of Friendship should: celebrating the friends and family that have supported her throughout her life, and honoring the Friendship that created the beloved Equestria of today!

But how hard it will be to keep my thoughts centered on Friendship! I must bring you up to date on my search for the hoofuscript; I fear I may burst from excitement if I do not share this information with you!

I began my search at the ancestral home of the Sunrise family. With the permission of my friend’s mother, Dazzling Sunrise, I was granted access to the family records from the time of the Eastern Rebellion. Many of the family’s documents from that time were destroyed, as their position as the region’s strongest supporter of your reforms made them and their possessions a prime target at the start of the rebellion. But I was able to piece together a series of clues that hinted at the existence of a diary, kept by the young Misty Sunrise. It was my hope that the diary, if it could be found, would contain a description of the hidden cave, or even directions to its location!

I asked my friend if she knew of any such diary. I had hoped that her own genealogical studies may have led her to that same diary. My hopes were initially dashed, as she had no recollection of any diary belonging to her great-great aunt, Misty Sunrise. However, when I mentioned that the diary may have been kept during Misty Sunrise’s foalhood, my friend’s eyes lit up and she whispered two words: “the toybox!”

It had been the Sunrise family’s tradition, for as long as can be remembered, to store items of importance to the family’s foals in an ancient toybox. Part of their cute-ceañera celebration involved a symbolic relinquishment of important foalhood items to the toybox, indicating their preparation to take on adulthood responsibilities. A diary may certainly fall into the category of important foalhood objects! And the toybox itself could very well have been overlooked by the destructive impulses of a rebellious mob!

My friend Vivid brought me to the room where the toybox was kept. As I had hoped, the box was in marvelous condition given its age, with only a slight amount of charring still visible on one of its sides. Together, Vivid and I lifted the box’s lid. There, on top of the piles of dolls, toys, and clothes it sat, like a gift from the heavens: The Diary of Misty Sunrise!

I spent the rest of the day, well into the evening, poring over the diary’s contents in the confines of my former room in my parents’ house. I saw the writing evolve from barely legible scratches to beautiful script, as Misty Sunrise documented the events of her young life. I learned of her friends, her adventures, her hopes, her fears. And when I came to the final entry, I knew my searching had borne fruit. For the acquisition of her cutie mark, the event which saw the diary symbolically placed in the toybox, was due to her discovery of an unknown cave near the peak of White Mountain!

She had understandably described the event in exquisite detail, including what led her to attempt to brave the summit of the mountain, the conditions she found upon her arrival, and the moment her cutie mark appeared. A ray of sunshine had illuminated a cavern, breaking through thick mist encompassing a formation of three pointed rocks, and showing her a safe place to recover from her climb! The description of the rock formation and of the surrounding scenery was so precise, my princess, that I knew I could not fail to find the same cave she had discovered all those years ago! I of course waited for first light to begin my journey, though I barely slept that night from all my excitement! Armed with the knowledge gleaned from the diary, I followed her path up the mountain (at a much faster pace of course; scaling a mountain is far easier for a pegasus than for a unicorn!) and, before noontime, located the three pointed rocks and the cave between them!

I performed no exploration of the cave past its immediate entrance. Perhaps I anticipated your disapproval of making such a risky move by myself. After assuring myself that I would be able to fly directly to the cave on any future expedition, I returned to the town of Roanwood Pass, just in time to be handed your letter by Dicey Doo, the town mailpony.

Such is the story of my discovery, my princess, and I hope you will forgive the rashness I exhibited while exploring the mountain today. I will heed your advice, and immediately after returning the diary to the Sunshine family, I will spend the rest of Hearth’s Warming break celebrating the holiday.

I eagerly anticipate your response, and will wait for your explicit approval before making any further excursions to White Mountain.

I will be certain to share your Hearth’s Warming greetings with everypony in Roanwood Pass!

Your faithful subject, Warm Zephyr


Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria

To my dear student Warm Zephyr:

I am pleased to hear back from you so quickly, and even more pleased to hear of your success! Your investigative skills are truly marvelous! I am proud to have such a talented mare as one of my subjects!

Regarding the contents of your previous letter, I detected a tone of formality that is uncommon in your earlier writings. I can only conclude that this formality was in response to my earlier letter, in which I urged you to focus on the Hearth’s Warming holiday instead of your search for the lost hoofuscript. I owe you an apology of my own. My intent was not to demand, or even request, but to guide. Your time away from the School of Friendship is of course yours to do with as you wish. It was wrong of me to frame my guidance in such a way that it could be interpreted as a command, and for that I apologize. I am your princess, it is true, but more importantly, I am your friend. Please accept this royal apology for a friend’s mistake.

I have brought Professor Old Habit up to date with your discovery, and he and I are in agreement as to the next steps. As far as we are concerned, you are perfectly capable of continuing this investigation on your own. You have shown that you need no assistance in reaching the cave in question, and we trust your ability to properly analyze any documents you find. Any additional assistance we can provide will be at your discretion. This discovery belongs to you and your friend; we do not wish to claim any ownership of it, no matter how exciting it may be.

And the discovery is exciting, there is no doubt about it! Word has quickly spread throughout the staff and students remaining at the School of Friendship. It has been decades since I have seen such universal enthusiasm on the faces I pass in the hallways! Everycreature here is eagerly awaiting your next letter, and the excitement will only grow once the student body returns from the holiday break.

Please do not mistake my intent in conveying this information to you. I do not wish to pressure you to hurry your investigation. I merely want to share the excitement that stems from your discovery, to give you a sense of how important we consider what you have found! Patience is an often overlooked element of Friendship, and our wait to hear news on your discovery will give us ample opportunity to put it into practice!

I, and the rest of the creatures at the School of Friendship, wish you a delightful remainder of your Hearth’s Warming break, and a successful leave of absence from us!

Your friend and teacher,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


To Princess Twilight Sparkle

Dear Princess:

I don’t know how to begin this letter. An unexpected encounter has shaken me to my core. I can barely hold this pen steady in my wrist! Princess Twilight, I have seen the princesses Celestia and Luna!

I know it must seem impossible to believe. I can barely believe it myself! After all these years, why would they choose to appear now, at such a remote location, to such an unimportant pony? Did I really see them, or was it just a trick of the light? No, I must have seen them, they can hardly be mistaken for anything else!

I feel obligated to tell you of this event, as soon as possible, but I am so excited I doubt I can describe it in a way that makes sense! I should share what led up to my encounter with the princesses. Perhaps by writing down the details leading up to their appearance I will have calmed down enough to describe it. Yes, that should work.

I received your last letter on Hearth’s Warming Eve, just after noontime. I was glad to hear I had not offended you by traveling up to the secret cave, but I still resolved to follow my original plan of spending the rest of the break relaxing and unwinding with my family. I had forgotten, however, exactly how busy my father’s tavern becomes around Hearth’s Warming! It reminded me of the School of Friendship’s cafeteria on build-your-own taco day! Thankfully, the Sunrise family graciously allowed me to stay with them until the tavern calmed down to its normal levels. I was finally able to spend time with my family on the last two days of break, and on the final day before break was scheduled to end, I made preparations for a second trip to the hidden cave.

I knew I would make this trip alone as well, since I couldn’t be sure that anypony who accompanied me would be able to handle the conditions on the mountain. I also had no idea how large the hoofuscript would be, so I wore the largest saddlebags that I could reasonably bring back down. I let my father know of my planned journey so he would know where to search for me if I met with an accident. Finally, I carried with me a flashlight, having remembered that caves are dark! As you can see, my princess, I took every precaution when preparing for my journey.

Since I knew where the secret cave was located, I flew directly there instead of having to circle the mountain looking for landmarks. The cave entrance was as I remembered it. The sunlight shining past me lit up the spacious chamber I found myself in. I saw that though the air around me was cold, the snow did not extend more than a few dozen feet into the cave. This was a heartening sign, I thought; assuming the hoofuscript was hidden away from the cave’s entrance, this meant I would not have to dig through hundreds of winters worth of snow to find it!

I shined my flashlight into the corners that were not lit from the outside, and was further pleased to discover no branching paths that would complicate my search. A single tunnel led downhill. I began to follow it, flashlight gripped in my mouth, when my sight fell upon a small pile of rocks. Such a pile would be unremarkable except for one thing: carved into the cave wall above this pile was a stylized sunrise!

Of course, I thought immediately of the Sunrise family and my friend’s ancestor whose hoofsteps I had followed up the mountain! I galloped over to the pile and began clearing it away, thinking all the while how unlikely it would be that such a treasure could be so easy to find! But as I neared the cave floor, my hoof struck a sharp object: not rock, but metal! I tossed away the final rocks with excitement, and at last uncovered a hinged metal box, with only a simple latch holding it closed! I snapped open the latch, raised the lid, and saw, in the bright glow of my flashlight, a bound book!

I’m sure you can imagine the excitement I felt, my princess, as I lifted the book from its container. It was more than I had ever dreamed: not just a hoofuscript, but a full tome, containing hundreds of pages! But as I reached out to open the cover, my excitement turned to apprehension. I noticed that I was casting two shadows on the wall before me: one surrounded by yellow light, the other surrounded by blue. I knew these shadows could not have come from my flashlight or the mouth of the cave, and just as I recognized that somepony else must be in the cave with me, I heard a whispered pair of voices from behind me, saying just one word: “Greetings.”

My hoof still shakes as I come to this portion of my letter. I dropped the book in fear and slowly turned to face the creatures that had surprised me in this supposedly unknown cave. But I never in my wildest dreams expected the sight that greeted me. It was the princesses Celestia and Luna, shining with magical light! Their identities were unmistakable; they were a perfect match to their stained glass images in Canterlot Castle!

Princess Twilight, the sight of the princesses was indescribable! I could never find the words to convey their beauty and grace! Their manes shimmered and waved, even without any wind to blow them, and appeared lit with their own internal light! The air itself seemed to glow with the strength of their presence! Their voices were beautiful, even heavenly, as they spoke in unison: “Welcome, Warm Zephyr!”

My princess, I am ashamed to admit it, but when they called my name, I was filled with fear! I fled from the cave in a panic; I barely remember the flight back to Roanwood Pass! The next few hours passed in a blur. I apparently burst into my father’s tavern, shouted a few incomprehensible words, then passed out in my excitement! I must have swung in and out of consciousness, before finally awakening in a clearer mind. My first thought, Princess Twilight, was to inform you of what had happened. I asked my mother, who had been watching over me, for pen and paper to compose a letter to you. And that is exactly what I have done.

Now that I have reached the end of my story, I realize what I must now do. The princesses must still be waiting for me in the cave! The lost tome must truly be important if they arrived at the moment I uncovered it! And they must have some wisdom they wish to share regarding it! I will return to them immediately after posting this letter to you. I can only pray they will forgive my disrespectful flight!

I promise, Princess Twilight, that as soon as I am able I will send you a full report of the princesses’ message and what is contained in the tome!

Your faithful subject, Warm Zephyr


Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria

To my dear student Warm Zephyr:

I have received your most recent letter, and have read it with a fair amount of concern. While I welcome your reported discovery of the lost tome, I am unsure how to interpret many of the other details you included. Specifically, I am referring to the supposed appearance of Princesses Celestia and Luna.

You know as well as I do that the former rulers of Equestria have not been seen in these lands since their sudden departure from Silver Shoals, nearly one hundred years ago. Since then, there has not been a hint of their presence apart from vague rumors and unsubstantiated sightings. For them to suddenly appear inland, on the opposite side of Equestria from where they were last seen, seems somewhat unlikely, no matter how important a discovery the lost tome is.

Furthermore, the idea that they would know of this secret cave and the treasure buried within is difficult to believe. Their powers were great – unmatched, even – but even they could not discover a secret location through magic alone! I suppose it is possible that Princess Luna could have learned of the cave and the hoofuscript by examining your dreams, but it is unlike her to simply take information without interacting with the dreamer. I would imagine that, if such an interaction had occurred, you would have seen fit to include it in your letter. Thus, I can only come to the conclusion that such an encounter did not happen.

Warm Zephyr, I would never question your abilities by suggesting the princesses were a hallucination brought on by altitude and exhaustion. But we both know that there are many alternate explanations for what you saw. There is an entire race of creatures living in Equestria whose talent is imitating others. And I know you are familiar with the illusion spells Professor Lulamoon performs during his lectures! I suspect one of your friends or neighbors may be playing a prank on you. Please don’t be too disappointed when you return to the cave and find them gone.

Enough of the discouraging words! My dear student, I am overjoyed that you have found what you were searching for! Nocreature here had any idea how large this tome might be, what condition it may be in, or even if it truly existed at all! To know that the tome not only exists, but is a bound book hundreds of pages long, is almost unthinkable! The excitement here has reached a fever pitch. Your name is already certain to be recorded in history books, and this is even before you begin your research!

How I envy you, Warm Zephyr! I would love nothing more than to abandon the throne and plunge myself headlong into the study you are about to undertake! But my duty to Equestria requires me to stay. Perhaps one day I will be able to wholly return to the world of research. Until then, I must leave the research to the capable hooves of ponies like yourself.

I await your next report with unbridled excitement!

Your friend and teacher,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria

To my dear student Warm Zephyr:

Not a day goes by that I do not eagerly tear through my incoming mail, hoping to receive an update from you! I realize I am acting like a young filly anticipating her birthday, but such is the excitement I have at the promise of your forthcoming letters! I realize research is a time-consuming process, yet each day I selfishly hold out hope that you have used some of the limited hours available to you for my own benefit. I can only pray that my long-winded letters do not likewise keep you from your studies!

Normally I would force myself to be patient and wait for your next letter to contact you again, but an opportunity has arisen where I would be remiss to not take advantage of it. A diplomat from the Crystal Empire named Citrine Zeal will be taking a tour of Equestria beginning next week. His itinerary is scheduled to take him near Roanwood Pass two days before Hearts and Hooves Day. I have therefore asked him to visit Roanwood Pass on my behalf. He will hoof-deliver a royal commendation to you, from myself and the School of Friendship. (There may be additional gifts, chosen specifically by your fellow students!)

Please do not feel an obligation to show or explain your research to him if you feel it would be a distraction. Your work, as always, trumps all other considerations.

I send you my blessings along with this letter. May your work be quick, and fruitful!

Your friend and teacher,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria

To my dear student Warm Zephyr:

Today is Hearts and Hooves Day, and I should be celebrating the holiday wholeheartedly along with the rest of Equestria. But instead, my mind is troubled. I have heard a concerning tale from Citrine Zeal, the Crystal Empire’s Special Envoy on Love.

I mentioned in my previous letter to you that he was planning to make a quick stop in Roanwood Pass, at my request. You must know by now that this stop never took place. Instead, he cut his scheduled tour short and returned to Canterlot as quickly as he and his accompanying staff could travel. He arrived early this morning and, after considerable effort taken to smooth his ruffled feathers, he shared with me the reason he was put so far out of sorts.

On the day he was scheduled to arrive in your town, his entourage was unexpectedly stopped just outside the town of Farrier’s Rest. He described to me what looked like a makeshift checkpoint, consisting of a sizable log completely blocking the road. The checkpoint was guarded by a number of local ponies, each one wearing a hostile expression. A pair of them looked to be speaking angrily to his leading guard, and as he stepped down from his carriage, their attention turned to him.

“This must be the crystal-kin tryin’ to sneak into town!” one of them exclaimed. When Envoy Citrine replied, logically enough, that there had been no attempt at stealth, the other of the pair scoffed, “Don’t matter to us. Sneakin’ or not, your kind ain’t welcome here!”

After conferring with the guard who had previously spoken to the locals, he learned what their argument had been about. The checkpoint guards were apparently willing to allow the rest of the entourage through, but the Envoy, the only crystal pony in attendance, would be required to stay outside their supposed “territory.”

Our friend from the Crystal Empire was obviously quite put out by these events, and he called out to the entourage, instructing them to find another route to Roanwood Pass. Upon hearing this order, one of the local ponies shouted to him, “Good luck, shiny. You’ll just be runnin’ into one o’ the other checkpoints. And I doubt they’ll be friendly like us, ‘specially since we already done warned ya once!”

This was the closest Envoy Citrine came to your location. His group made another attempt to cross this previously unknown border, which was repulsed in a similar manner. After this, he made straight for Canterlot in order to bring this matter to my attention.

After hearing his story, I must come to the conclusion that there is a movement ahoof, widespread and hostile, that treats creatures who are not citizens of our kingdom as unwelcome. It is of course worrisome that the Envoy on Love should be treated in such a matter, but I am more concerned about the wider implications of such a movement! How could it have sprung up without our knowledge? And what if this movement should spread beyond the far east of Equestria, and reach regions more likely to contain foreign-born creatures?

As much as it pains me to do so, I must ask you to temporarily put aside your research. You are the only contact I and the rest of the Royal Council have in this region. Warm Zephyr, please investigate this incident and the movement responsible for it! You must serve as our eyes and ears for now. I am putting together a mission that will relieve you of this responsibility, but it will arrive several days after this letter does. In the meantime, the duty must fall to you.

Please do not see this mission as a distraction from your work. I make this request out of urgency, but it is a sign of our exceptional trust in you!

Be vigilant and safe, my dear student!

Your friend and teacher,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria

To my dear student Warm Zephyr:

My concerns are growing. I have heard no word from you for several weeks. I trust you are receiving these letters; the magical seals keyed to you could not have been opened so quickly by anypony but yourself. I must therefore assume your investigation has either borne no fruit thus far, or that your replies have been intercepted by the ponies you are investigating. If this were not concerning enough, the mission that was intended to relieve your investigative work has been repelled, in much the same way that Envoy Citrine was repelled himself!

I suppose I am partially to blame for the mission’s failure. After more than a century of harmonious coexistence with the non-pony creatures native to Equestria, I had assumed that this unknown movement was primarily concerned with national allegiance. Instead, I have come to find out that its motives are racial in origin!

The mission was led by my trusted Chief Inspector, Tymbal, a changeling who has served Equestria faithfully for many years. He and his team, consisting of three other changelings, took the same route that Citrine Zeal had followed, as it was the most direct route from Canterlot to Roanwood Pass. But they did not even reach Farrier’s Rest on their expedition! Instead, their progress was halted in the town of Nickerbocker, at a much more legitimate-looking checkpoint than the previously mentioned log across the road!

The inspection at this checkpoint was more thorough as well. Tymbal and his team disguised themselves, but to no avail: all creatures passing through the checkpoint were required to submit to a magic-dispelling spell, which would have removed their disguises and made their attempt to sneak into this unknown group’s territory blatantly apparent. Instead of passing through the checkpoint, the team chose to disguise themselves as birds, fly undetected into the town, then retake their pony disguises to begin their investigation.

They entered the town without a hitch, and successfully retook their disguises with nopony the wiser. But the first pony they encountered recognized them as outsiders, and insisted they accompany her for a spot check to ensure, in her words, “You ain’t one o’ them bugs tryin’ to corrupt us pure ponies!” The team was able to become “lost” on their way to the checkpoint, and regrouped outside the town.

Tymbal then made the choice to abandon the original mission. Even though retaking their animal disguises would allow them to reach Roanwood Pass, their ability to gather information would be greatly reduced. They would be forced to passively listen as animals, rather than actively question as ponies! As much as it pains me to tell you this, I agree with his decision. Unfortunately, this means you must continue the investigation on your own for now.

Tymbal and his team did, however, obtain some information from inside Nickerbocker. They were able to perch at various places in and around the town and passively acquire more knowledge about this movement that appears to be spreading further out from the eastern lands. Tymbal sent one member of his team, Clypeus, back to Canterlot to report on their discovery. Their findings can be summarized in a few key points:

  • The movement is concerned with dividing creatures into two camps: “pure” ponies, and all other creatures.
  • No non-ponies are allowed into the movement’s territory. This includes not only crystal ponies and changelings, but griffons, yaks, hippogriffs; even cows!
  • Any outsider is suspected to be a disguised changeling unless proven otherwise.
  • This movement appears to be inspired by a pair of “goddesses,” who speak through an unknown prophet.

I am certain you have discovered more during your own investigation. I only mention the knowledge we in Canterlot have gained in order to impress upon you how blind we are! Please, if it is safe to do so, send any additional discoveries you have made! Even the most trivial-seeming information may be of import!

I of course have not forgotten about our attempts to relieve you, my dear student. Though Tymbal’s mission was a failure, I will not abandon my attempts to reach you! If this movement will only allow a “pure” pony to enter, then I shall send one! You will be pleased to know that at this very moment, your dearest friend Silken Veneer is making final preparations to depart for Roanwood Pass. One way or another, help will arrive!

I will wait here in Canterlot for any developments. Please, my dear student, remain safe until Silken Veneer reaches you!

Your friend and teacher,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


To the false princess of Equestria:

Greetings in the name of the true goddesses, whose throne you usurped!

I am grateful for all your previous letters; they have made securing our borders against intruders much easier! I of course was aware of the possibility of changeling infiltrators, but in your pride you have foolishly given me confirmation! With the confession signed by your own hoof, the followers of the goddesses will be that much more vigilant!

And your letter regarding Silken Veneer was most helpful! My closest companions, the Seven, were well prepared for her arrival in the east, and she has been placed into custody until I am able to remove the lies with which you blinded her. How kind it has been of you to inform me of your every move!

Yes, my false princess, I am the prophet of the goddesses, the one destined to awaken Equestria to the falsehood of your reign! The goddesses told me much upon naming me their prophet, and I have learned so much more from the tome buried high on White Mountain! Ironic, then, that you encouraged the search that will lead to your downfall!

The Sunrise family was wise to hide the tome far from the hooves of the Eastern Rebellion. Goldie Sunrise was correct that it would cause turmoil among the ponies of Roanwood Pass, but her note was deliberately misleading as to the reason for the turmoil. It was not a source of agitation for the Eastern Rebellion, but confirmation!

You see, Twilight, through the guidance of the goddesses I now know the truth of Friendship. I know you were once its princess, and I know every detail of how you continually failed to uphold it. And I know your deepest secret, the knowledge that you have kept hidden from your subjects: you are no longer an ally to Friendship! Friendship has now left you, as it did once before! But instead of seeking to rejoin the side of Friendship, you further undermine it! You have weakened Friendship in Equestria instead of strengthening it!

I wish I could be present to see your reaction upon learning that we in the east have found the truth that you tried so hard to bury. But once the followers of the true goddesses reach Canterlot, and the goddesses themselves are returned to their rightful throne, I will bask in the glorious sight of your final defeat!

Prepare as you might, you will not stop our holy work! We will drive you from your throne, and return Friendship to its rightful place as master of Equestria, under the wise guidance of our goddesses!

Warm Zephyr

Prophet of the true goddesses


Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria

To my dear friend Warm Zephyr:

I scarcely can believe the contents of your last letter! What has changed, that you would turn your back on what you have been taught? You were a fine scholar, my friend; a brilliant researcher, one who would never, even in her deepest anger, forsake a friend! To find that you have not only joined the campaign to expel all outsiders from Equestria, but are its leader? I do not understand!

I saved and treasured each letter you sent from Roanwood Pass, and I have pored over them, seeking some explanation for your sudden change of heart. But I have uncovered nothing, no clue as to why you went from student to prophet! The only answers, I realize, must come from you. Please, Warm Zephyr, explain your actions to me!

Who are these goddesses you follow? Do you now refer to Celestia and Luna as goddesses? My mentors were powerful, it is true, but they would never wish for anypony to worship them! They were modest in their power, even stepping down when they wished to pass their rule of Equestria to me, their successor! I knew the princesses, Warm Zephyr, and they would never ask their followers to act in the manner I have seen!

You speak of Friendship in your letter, but your understanding of it appears to be twisted. Why is it you believe I am no longer its princess? You speak of mistakes I have made upon my journey as princess; this is true, I will not deny it. But Friendship has never left me as you claim, nor have I undermined it! Was this told to you through the tome? How could a tome know more than I of the Friendship present within me, which I have freely shared?

And how do your goddesses and the Friendship they claim to support explain the rejection of all creatures who are not ponies? Do you truly believe those outside Equestria cannot accept Friendship? I know that you have studied hundreds of examples of Friendship changing the lives of creatures outside our borders. Do all those examples now mean nothing to you? Friendship is meant to be shared, and the friends we have made with the creatures beyond Equestria prove this!

Please, Warm Zephyr, explain your reasoning to me! We spent many hours in debate together when you were still in Canterlot; let us debate again, through written word, so that I may understand your arguments and counter what you have learned from your tome and your goddesses!

Even if you have fully rejected me, I beg of you, as a friend, not a princess, release Silken Veneer from your custody! I know firsthoof of the hardship a pony suffers in isolation, when I and the fellow Bearers of the Elements were held in captivity by Starlight Glimmer. Do not force your friend and mine to undergo the same terrible experience! If you have Kindness within you, release Silken Veneer!

I pray you will see fit to respond, that we may prevent this crisis in the east from worsening further!

Your friend,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


To the false princess of Equestria:

You dare still call yourself Princess of Friendship? You are not speaking to your subjects who still follow you out of ignorance, you are writing to we who have discovered the truth! Cease from your lies, lest your punishment upon our inevitable victory be that much more severe!

Silken Veneer has been shown the truth, and she has accepted it, rejecting you and your false ways! I have named her as a companion, and now those closest to the prophet of the goddesses number eight! See how our numbers grow, while even as “Princess of Friendship” your companions numbered no more than five!

I have read your offer of debate, and I recognize there may be hope to steer you from the path of lies you find yourself upon. Your defeat may not be inevitable, if you join the side of true Friendship before its final triumph over the falsehoods you have spread. Therefore, I will answer your questions, and explain exactly how you have failed.

You have surmised correctly, that the goddesses are in fact the former princesses Celestia and Luna. They appeared to me in the cave of Blessing and explained the message present in the tome, the record of your ascension. They were powerful as princesses, but they saw that they must progress further, in order that Equinity may progress as well! This is why they named you princess, and this is why they passed through the Pearly Gates, which you mistakenly refer to as Silver Shoals. Their power has grown, and they have no further need for modesty, for what use is modesty to a goddess? You say they would not ask their followers to act as we have; I have heard them ask us to do exactly that! Your experience is from a century ago; mine is from weeks ago! Who of us, then, better understands the goddesses as they are now?

You claim I do not understand Friendship, but we in the east have greater understanding than you do, now that Friendship has rejected you! I have learned how Friendship fled from you when you used it selfishly in your attempt to steal the Pearl of Alteration. Do not try to deny this; your capture by the Storm King would not have succeeded if Friendship had been present within you! Now, Friendship has left you again, and your title of Princess of Friendship is meaningless!

Now I come to the crux of my argument, which the tome and the goddesses have explained to me fully, and which you must accept if you wish to save yourself! You claim Friendship has never left you and you have never undermined it. Yet within the same breath you prove yourself a liar, boasting that you have given Friendship to all creatures! Have you forgotten the principles of magic: magic cannot be created or destroyed, only moved from one place to another?

As the book of Ascension states, Friendship was present in Equinity from the beginning, not in any other races. Any Friendship these races possess was taken from the Friendship that rightfully belongs to ponies! By spreading Friendship beyond the true races of ponies, the amount that remains within us is lessened! You who claim to understand both magic and Friendship should know this! But instead you have actively weakened Friendship within Equestria by insisting on spreading it to the races outside Equestria!

Do you not remember that every crisis you faced during your ascension was caused by outsiders? The Nightmare that possessed Princess Luna, the spirit of disharmony, the changelings, the windigos summoned by the crystal ponies? The only exceptions were your capture by Starlight Glimmer and the actions of Cozy Glow. Both of these crises came only because Friendship had been so weakened by your foolish sharing that there was no Friendship left to reside within them! Why would you wish to share Friendship with those who wished us harm? Such an act only strengthens them against us!

The tale of Starlight Glimmer is another of your failings. Have you forgotten how she insisted that Friendship could only come from equality? You escaped her captivity by showing Friendship to those she misled, but now you have spread her lie of equality throughout all Equestria! How can you say that a unicorn is equal to a yak, or a pegasus equal to a griffon? You weaken the pony races by stating they are no better than those who steal Friendship from us!

Twilight Sparkle, your time grows short as the strength of those who understand true Friendship grows. Heed my words quickly, and come to the side of truth, else you will be destroyed!

Warm Zephyr

Prophet of the true goddesses


Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Ruler of Equestria

To my dear friend Warm Zephyr:

I am grateful for your response; there may yet be time to convince you of the folly of your ways. You have misunderstood the tome you have read, and I understand how such a mistake could have come to pass. I will address each of your points, and prove that you are mistaken.

Your claim that the princesses passed through Pearly Gates and became goddesses is based on a mistranslation. The Abyssinian language has no individual words for precious substances: silver, gold, and pearls are all referred to by the word altvalora, meaning “valuable.” In addition, the word for shoal, pordego, can also mean “gate.” Translating their retirement place to and from Abyssinian has led to this confusion. The princesses truly did retire to the town of Silver Shoals, located in the west of Equestria, and there are many records proving they lived there for a time.

Regarding Friendship leaving me after my attempt to steal the Pearl of Alteration, I will admit I did deceive my friends out of my desperation to save Equestria from the Storm King. I abandoned them, and I was indeed captured after they left. But Friendship was never gone from me; if it was, I would have no longer been an Alicorn! My transformation was based upon my mastery of the magic of Friendship, and the fact that I still possess the form of an Alicorn means that Friendship has still not left me!

I understand how you can be confused regarding the magic of Friendship and how it relates to the principles of magic. You are correct in stating that magic cannot be created or destroyed. But Friendship is unlike other magic. Princess Celestia stated this to me herself: Friendship is a new form of magic! It is one that can be shared freely without weakening; in fact, its strength grows when shared! This is why I have so eagerly shared Friendship, not just among ponies, but among all creatures! All are strengthened when Friendship is shared!

You state that all crises before my coronation were caused by creatures from outside Equestria. This is correct, but have you not seen how Friendship has caused these creatures to join with us? Our former foes are foes no longer, not after Friendship was shared with them! Both ponies and those from outside Equestria are enjoying the benefits of Friendship!

Friendship has never been stronger within Equestria, and I shall prove this to you. I am sending one final mission to Roanwood Pass, one that will prove without doubt the strength of Friendship! It will consist of a group of close friends, one from each of the races your followers have rejected: a changeling, a yak, a crystal pony, a dragon, a hippogriff, a griffon, as well as an earth pony, pegasus, and unicorn! They will show you and your followers how Friendship belongs to all creatures, not just those most familiar to you!

I now understand the mistake I made following the end of the first Eastern Rebellion. It was through force of hoof that the first rebellion was put down, but at the time I did not understand why such a rejection of Friendship had taken place. Therefore, the seeds of a second rebellion were already sown, waiting for an opportunity to grow. Thanks to your study and your actions, I see now that the east was isolated, never challenged in its belief that ponies stood above all other creatures. The ponies living there never met our new friends from outside Equestria, and never had an opportunity to question their outdated ideals. This allowed the belief of the supremacy of ponies to remain, hidden from my sight.

I will not allow this to stand any longer. This mission I am sending will be the first step of opening the east to the rest of the world. Once the ponies living under your influence see for themselves the creatures they believe to be their adversaries, they will finally understand true Friendship!

Warm Zephyr, I do not regret encouraging your study of the tome you discovered. Though you yourself have taken the wrong lessons from it, your research has helped me discover the ways in which Friendship has been misunderstood within Equestria. I hope that when the mission reaches you, you too will realize how you have misunderstood Friendship. You made a mistake, it is true, but mistakes can be the strongest teachers if you are willing to learn from them! Learn from your mistake, my student, and return to the School of Friendship where others can learn from you!

Your friend and teacher,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


To the false princess of Equestria:

This will be my final letter to you. I had hoped that my words would convince you that you have taken Equestria down the path to destruction, but I see now my optimism was misplaced. Instead of observing the logic in my words, you have clung to the poisoned beliefs that have bespoiled this land.

The goddesses have spoken to me once more, and revealed how the land is now cursed through your actions. How else could the most loyal defenders of true Friendship have been turned by such a small group of lesser creatures? The east so far had been spared from the curse, but your incursion cuts into the land, spreading false friendship like a poisoned blade! Thanks to you, even this blessed land is no longer pure!

I have received a vision of a land free of the curse you ignorantly spread, where ponies will live forever unmolested by those unworthy creatures that pollute Equestria. I and my remaining followers will sail away from these tainted shores, and create a new land in the east where Friendship will bloom eternally! Equestria will rot under your reign, but Equinity will thrive without your influence!

Do not attempt to halt us. Do not attempt to retrieve us. The goddesses have promised me that you will no longer be able to reach us once we have left these shores. Any effort to do so will be wasted.

I leave you with one final word of warning. Although I abandon Equestria to its fate, there is still time for you to save it from destruction. Heed my words, false princess, and there may yet be time to undo the damage you have done. Reject the false friendship of forced equality, for the sake of your subjects, else the curse of the goddesses will destroy all!

Warm Zephyr

Prophet of the true goddesses