• Published 18th Feb 2022
  • 828 Views, 19 Comments

The Legend of Equestria: Majora's Mask - xombiekilla



The Element of Courage, Hero; twelve years of age continues his journey with his new friends. He ends up at an alternate universe with its own set of rules.

  • ...
12
 19
 828

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter four: Dawn of the Second Day (I)

Dawn of the second day:
48 hours remaining

As the sun began to rise the next day, Hero and Pinkie left the cozy Inn to start their day. A storm was raging outside, but it didn't dampen the townsfolk's spirits, who were already busy with their daily routine. Pinkie was exceptionally cheerful and skipped around, humming a tune that seemed to match the pitter-patter of the rain. "I feel like singing in the rain~♪"

Together, they visited a few shops to buy necessities before heading to Termina Field. They admired how the raindrops beat against the cobblestone streets as they walked, creating a rhythmic melody. The sound of the rain was soothing, and it seemed to wash away all their worries for the present time.

Finally, they reached Termina Field, where the rain had transformed the landscape into a lush, vibrant green. Despite the rain, they spent the day exploring the area, taking in the sights and sounds of nature.


As they left the safety of Clock Town's walls, they trekked southward towards the swampy terrain to investigate and hopefully find their missing friends. The swamps were a dreary and desolate place, characterized by murky waters and dense foliage that obscured their vision. Despite the unpleasantness of the surroundings, they knew that they had to scour every nook and cranny of Termina if they hoped to locate their friends. So, with an unwavering sense of purpose, they plunged deep into the swamp. "Eww, a smelly and yucky swamp," Pinkie says in a grossed-out tone, "But we must check everywhere for our friends."

They encountered a few monsters that tried to ambush them as they made their way through the murky waters and tangled vegetation. However, Hero was not one to be intimidated by such petty threats and quickly dispatched any foes that dared to stand in their way. With each passing moment, their determination grew more robust, and their resolve unbreakable. They remained vigilant, knowing their friends could be anywhere in this vast and unforgiving swamp.


Hero and Pinkie successfully reached the swamps of Woodfall, where they found a purple river flowing from one point to the next. They spotted a hut with a ladder going up to it and a boat rigged. After climbing the ladder, they entered the stilted house and found that it looked like a combination of a fishing hut and a warm and cozy cabin.

A horrifying sight overtook Pinkie as she spotted Fluttershy lying on a mattress in the corner of the room. "Fluttershy?!" Pinkie rushed to her aid immediately as she leaned over to inspect her quivering and fever-stricken form.

"Since she drank the poisoned water from the river, this poor creature has been unwell all day," the owner said as he arrived with some medicine to give her. "I'm doing everything I can to help her recover, but the polluted rivers have been causing sickness and death among the animals and ponies that drink from them."

"Unfortunately, I have only a limited supply of medicine left to give her, which requires pure water. With the rivers being contaminated, time is not on her side," the owner explained with a look of sadness.

"We need to take action, Hero! Fluttershy is our friend," said Hero's companion, to which Hero nodded in agreement. "I knew I could rely on you. Let's go and see what we can do to help her," replied Pinkie, with a heavy heart, gazing at Fluttershy's motionless body as they left. "Don't worry, Fluttershy. We will come back for you. Pinkie promise," she whispered.

As they left the area, they spotted a boat nearby. The docks were located on the right side, and a new operator was seen handling the ship. The stallion called out to them, "Hello! Are you interested in taking a ferry ride to the Changeling Kingdom? That's where you'll find the Ancient Woodfall Temple."

"Yes, sir. How much?" Pinkie asked.

"I'm afraid there isn't much business in this area, so asking for any payment from you doesn't make sense. However, if you can find a way to purify this water, you will be helping your sick friend and our business. To aid you in your journey, I offer you a boat to sail to the Changeling Kingdom."


The boat navigated through the toxic bog and arrived at its destination, the Changeling Kingdom, located behind an immense wall and inhabited by Changelings of various colors, many of whom were friendly.

Pinkie said, "Hello, we're here to assist with the lake issue. We're helping a dear friend who is in trouble." She hoped that the local Changelings would be welcoming to their presence.

"Our people are also falling ill, and we don't know why. To help us, you'll need to speak to our king. Unfortunately, there is a small problem."

"What's that?" Pinkie pondered.

"The only ones allowed to enter are changelings," the changeling said solemnly.

"Hey, Hero was a changeling just a moment ago. Do you still have that mask with you?" Hero nodded as he pulled out the mask to examine it. The morning sun had reflected off its shiny, multi-colored surface, and he felt nervous. This was only for Fluttershy.

He hesitated for a moment, but then he put on the mask. It immediately clamped onto his face, and the wooden material merged with his skin, turning his fur into chitin again. Hero panicked and tried to remove the mask with his hooves, but it was futile. He felt intense pain and discomfort as his body underwent a grotesque transformation.

His heart was racing, and he felt his whole body ache. He fell onto his back, writhing and screaming as the mask took over his body. Suddenly, his back opened up, and he sprouted insectoid wings. His skin turned lime green, and his underbelly became yellow.

After the transformation, he lifted his head, revealing a horrified expression. In a flash, he was again a changeling, much to the surprise and disbelief of Pinkie and the other drones watching. "...That looked unbelievably painful. But... he is a changeling now, I suppose. Those were King Thorax's instructions so that he could enter." The friendly changeling said as Hero approached the front gate to see two changelings guarding the entrance in changeling form.

"Oh, hello there. Are you here to witness the humiliation of the foolish pony who angered our king? Go straight this way to the end of the corridor. Do not enter any other areas whatsoever," they said, showing him the way to the Throne Chambers.


As he entered the room, he noticed it had a tribal-like appearance, with a large cauldron in the center. On a throne in the room was a lime-colored Changeling whose height surpassed everyone else's. The changeling appeared to be wearing a stern expression on his face. As Hero gazed up, he caught sight of someone who was tied up above the boiling pot. Wasn't that Rainbow Dash?! "I'm so pleased to see a fellow changeling here to witness this kidnapper get what she deserves. My precious daughter was last seen with her; now, she's gone and has never returned. It could only have been you, foul pony in blue."

"What?! Are you kidding me? I didn't kidnap her. She was taken to Woodfall Temple and held hostage there. Ouch! This oil is hot!" Rainbow yipes as her butt grazed the surface of the scalding oil.

Hero spoke to the king, who gasped in disbelief. "What?! Are you saying that you believe her to be innocent? That's ridiculous," Thorax exclaimed. Pharnyx looked at Hero with great shock, but Hero was unsure why. He likely held a position of modest authority and knew better than to cause a scene during court.

"Thank you. It's good to know that at least one of them is using reasoning," Rainbow said with a relaxed breath.

"Silence! Or else I'll dip you in right now!" Thorax snapped at the rainbow pegasus's retort.

"Eep... being quiet now!" Rainbow said, immediately shutting up.

"Okay then," he said, focusing back on Hero. "If what you're saying is true, you must prove it. You have until tomorrow to demonstrate her innocence and return my beloved daughter to me." His compound eyes narrowed at Hero. "Because if you fail, she fries. That pony will not live to see the next day." Hero nodded and left the Throne Chambers.


Hero went back to Pinkie to deliver some terrible news. "What?!" exclaimed Pinkie, "Dashie will be executed tomorrow if we can't find the king's daughter. That's so cruel! But we have to do something for both her and Fluttershy. Our friends are counting on us, Hero."

Hero nodded and informed Pinkie of Rainbow's whereabouts: "She's being held at Woodfall Temple. Let's go."

"I'm afraid that wouldn't work out unless you know the song to open the gate to the temple. The entrance remains dormant until the chosen drone uses its song, known as The Sonata of Awakening, to awaken it. Time is of the essence, and I fear that neither you nor that mare have it." The changeling explained to Hero and Pinkie.

"Where can we find that song? We need it urgently. People's lives are at risk," Pinkie asked in a panic.

"I am sorry to inform you that the song you are referring to is only taught to those who belong to a royal family. It seems unlikely that you will be able to learn it unless you can somehow prove that you have royal blood. However, that would be a very big stretch. I offer you my condolences if you cannot achieve your goal."

"Hero, can you get your blood tested? Please. We have to try anything to save our friend, anything." Pinkie was on the verge of tears as Hero nodded, and she hugged him, "T-Thank you."

"You're a very brave pony for testing for royal blood, as it is punishable by death if you're unworthy," Hero nodded, fully aware of the stakes as he stepped back into the Throne Chambers.

"So you want to see her again, don't you? We cannot blame you; seeing the guilty get their just deserts is always great. Right this way, and remember not to get anywhere else whatsoever," The two changeling guards then escorted Hero to the Royal Chambers.


"I see you're back. And wait, what?! You want to test your blood to see if you have royal genes?!" Everyone in the room gasped in shock as Hero stood firmly and gave Rainbow a reassuring glance, making her wonder who this changeling was. "You do realize that pretending to be of royal blood is punishable by death, right?"

Hero nodded in agreement. "You have a lot of courage. Many of my troops could learn from you." He summoned two changelings, one holding a ceremonial bowl and the other carrying a knife. "Now, raise your right forehoof, and we'll determine if you're pure."

They cut his forehoof, and he winced in pain as green blood dripped into the bowl. You could hear a pin drop through the silence as the tension was high; lives and more than just one were at stake here. Thorax then dipped his hoof into the blood to taste it to see if it was pure. His eyes were skeptical, then stoic... then shocked beyond belief. "You have pure blood in your veins! Unbelievable." Hero sighed in relief...

Rainbow muttered, "W-Woah... that was so close. You're not a normal changeling like these guys are. Who are you?" All Hero did was smirk at her, the same smirk he would always give her, which she immediately recognized. She sighed in relief.

"Then let it be known that you have been granted the privilege of learning The Sonata of Awakening. If that pony is telling the truth, you must play this song to open the temple doors," said Thorax. He then pulled out his ceremonial hive horns and played the song for Hero.

"Now, please repeat after me:"

Hero plays the high, left, high, left, base, right, and base notes. He plays the song with uncanny accuracy, leaving the changelings in shock. "You play as if you've been doing this your entire life. You're a unique drone," compliments the king of the changelings. Hero nods in gratitude at his kind words. "Then, help me get my daughter back, and that will clear her of any guilt for her crimes."

Hero nodded and left the room. He returned to meet with Pinkie.


"Hey, I know that happy look! You got that song, don't you?" Pinkie exclaimed as Hero nodded in agreement. "Yes! Now, let's clear Rainbow's name and rescue their princess. Onward, Hero!"

"I see you have royal blood; t-that means you outrank me," the drone said respectfully, bowing to Hero, who blushed. "I will assist you with anything you need," the drone continued.

Hero then offered to guide Pinkie and the drone to the Woodfall Temple, located at the swamp's edge. Together, they journeyed through the Changeling Kingdom and arrived at their destination.

PreviousChapters Next