• Published 6th Mar 2022
  • 283 Views, 6 Comments

The Lyrist and The Tempest - Valiant wind



Is it possible for an ancient nanomachine aggregate to dream about friendship?

  • ...
0
 6
 283

Interlude----Old Friends

When the familiar bronze tip of the Ponyville Clocktower appeared above the horizon, Lyra scratched her hoof on the train’s window. She never expected to be back this soon.

After devising the plan with Nightjar, she had taken the first train available in the morning and got back as soon as she could. She was a little worried that Nightjar’s plan was too difficult to carry out, but she had to admit that it was their best shot at unlocking the leads hidden in Grey Wind’s memory. Nightjar had promised that the plan could be easily arranged, but there was only one small problem: This plan requires the help of a certain pony, one only Lyra could reach.

And one that she had known too well and wasn’t really in favor of meeting, unfortunately.

She went straight towards her destination as soon as she left the train. Walking down the main street, Lyra suddenly developed a strong feeling of unreal. The colorful roofs of the households, the many familiar and unfamiliar faces passing by, the happy chattering of ponies around her…all felt so foreign. After the last few days in Memento, the peaceful life of Ponyville almost felt like a dream.


Better not get used to those, she shook her head. On the best count, things will only get weirder and weirder from now on. It was not the time to drop down her guard yet.

She turned into a familiar avenue and saw that tall brown oak tree, and very soon she was standing in front of the door of the Golden Oak Library. She gently laid a hoof onto the golden doorknob, then sighed heavily.

She didn’t want to see Twilight. She had always intentionally avoided the library ever since Twilight moved to Ponyville. As much as she remembered, Twilight had always been the best of them. The first one to complete the assignments, the first one to learn to teleportation, the first one to…accomplish anything, really. To be fair, Twilight had always treated her well, offering her help whenever she could. She did appreciate it, but every time it happened, she was still constantly reminded of how good Twilight was and how big a failure she had always been, and it felt awful. She wanted to find her mother on her own. She wanted to accomplish something on her own.

Relax, Lyra, she thought to herself, she is just an old friend, nothing else. Just politely ask for her help, for Nightjar, for Grey Wind, and for yourself.

She raised her hoof and knocked on the door.

“Just a second. Spike!” Your voice hadn’t changed one bit, Twilight.

“On it!”

The door creaked open. A small purple dragon was standing in the doorframe.

“Good morning, and welcome to—” the last half of the sentence was swallowed into his belly. Spike’s eyes widened, “oh my god, Ly—”

“Shhhhhh!” Lyra raised a hoof to his lips and whispered, “I want to surprise her.”

Spike went stiff for a second, then nodded. He retreated to the side and allowed her into the library.

“You hadn’t changed one bit, Lyra,” he whispered happily, “it’s so good to see you again.”

Hope so, Lyra rolled her eyes. She went forward through a line of bookcases and saw that familiar purple-pinkish mane. Hearing her hoof steps, the purple alicorn turned towards her. She seemed to not recognize her for a few seconds, and she was putting up that apologetic smile she’d always shown to visitors who she did not have the time to welcome. But it was only a matter of seconds before that smile froze on her face.

“Oh—” she stammered, “oh sweet Celestia—”

“Good morning, Twilight,” Lyra did her best in putting up a mischievous gleam, “long time no see.”