• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 895 Views, 16 Comments

Uncovering of the Old - Long Live Derping



A pony working in the field of discovering humanity's past is about to get more than she bargained

  • ...
0
 16
 895

Chapter 2

Our greatest flexibility with nature is the ability to control it. Since the founding of Equestria, each one of our races has their own specialty. Unicorns have the ability to use magic of our own free will, Earth ponies are more successful with farm cropping, and Pegasi can manipulate weather through clouds. However, some parts of our region are still not under our control. The Everfree Forest is one such prime example as the weather there continues to run its course on its own and the creatures residing within survive on their own without any pony intervention which explains their hostility to everything that enters their domain. The mountains I’m heading to acts exactly like the Everfree, but the only consistent weather there is the freezing cold and snow. Due to such a lifeless environment, very little wild life can be found here. That makes the job of the dig squad much easier when they do not have to worry about dangerous creatures wandering around their excavation site.

“Good to see you, Boss!” Silver said, approaching me as I stepped out of the carriage, landing on the snowy tundra. We both exchanged hugs since we know each other long enough to do so. Since I began my studies into humans, he has been at my side as a good, dependable friend. It wasn’t always easy for him because at times, he had his kids and wife to worry about back at home, but he always pulled through his struggle.

“What’s the status of the crew?” I asked.

Our dig team was relatively small in comparison to other squads spread throughout Equestria. We have at least about a dozen or so regular members that tend to stick to our group. Looking around, I saw Bronco Mace soaring around within the magical barrier that surrounded the dig site, protecting it from the brutal snowstorm outside. Were it not for the shield, the time and effort it took to create the excavation site would be for nothing.

“Well, everyone’s cold, but I told them to deal with it. No major complaints so far other than talk about what we found.” He explained, following where I was looking. “Hey, Bronco! Over here!”

Bronco heard and switched direction, heading for us. Landing gracefully on the ground, he nodded his head slightly. Mace wasn’t the most sociable pony, but he took orders without complaints. Silver recommended him into the group for his sharp eye and gentle touch in artifact restoration, despite being a Pegasus, lacking the magical capabilities I have. Still, that doesn’t stop me from giving the respect he deserves.

“Have you seen Emery Patchwork? The barrier is looking a bit weak and I need her to reinforce it.” Silver asked.

“She’s still resting in her tent, sir.” Bronco answered, standing straight and at attention, much like a soldier speaking to an officer.

“Ah, okay, we’ll just need someone to keep an eye on the barrier then until she wakes up; give her all the rest she can get. Can you get another unicorn to scan the strength of the field and report back to me?”

The Pegasus nodded his head before turning around and making his way to a large group of tents not too far away.

“Well, let’s not delay you any longer, Boss. Follow me.”

I walked alongside Silver. We were both silent for the time being, but it was not at all uncomfortable or tense. We don’t always try to make conversation up on the spot because our work, after finding artifacts or decaying pieces, requires heavy concentration and sometimes, we can spend anywhere from weeks to even months not talking if we’re too busy trying to preserve ancient pieces of technology. After about twenty minutes of walking, Silver finally spoke up.

“I hear the Summer Sun Celebration is not too far away. It’s being held in Ponyville this year. Looks like you’ll miss it.” He spoke.

“I won’t be missing much then. Well, other than the opportunity to meet Princess Celestia, but my research is far too important to see even her royal highness raising the sun.” I replied, stopping once we arrived near an underground entrance where a stair leading downstairs was. Silver grabbed and lit a torch and I used my magic to hold it up as we started going down through the darkness.

“You ever heard of the old tale ‘Mare in the Moon’?”

“I’m sure everybody has at some point. After all, history never allowed such an event to be forgotten, no matter how long ago it was.”

“Well, I was just thinking…wouldn’t this be the year that spoke of Nightmare Moon’s return?”

I remained quiet for a moment, thinking about his assumption. The return of another Alicorn, bent on nothing but revenge was a frightening thought. Still, even if such a prophecy were to come to pass, Princess Celestia would be able to deal with it. After all, she harnessed the Elements of Harmony before to defeat her own sister, so why not once more?

“I’m sure the princess has something up her sleeve should you be right.” I answered, neither supporting nor denying the claim. A neutral based answered.

“Yeah, you’re right. Being immortal, she probably has tons of plans in dealing with threats.” Silver agreed with a nod of his head.

That was the end of that conversation since we arrived at our destination. Where the corridor leading down was icy, the walls around here were completely made of stone and metal. A few other ponies were around talking to themselves or looking at the strange symbols on the floor and walls. It’s probably human language that hasn’t been translated. This certainly wasn’t like any other dig site I’ve been to in the past decade. This isn’t just scattered pieces of technology found in the dirt, but actual structure that is still standing to this day for who knows how long! Silver moved away to speak to the other ponies while I took my time looking around. Soon enough, I stepped towards the large stone gate. Unlike the walls and floors, they had no unreadable words, but rather crude drawings of sorts.

“Can you make anything of it?”

I turned to my right to see Silver staring at the gate’s etchings as well. I looked back and focused intently, but nothing seemed to give me an idea of what the drawings were trying to tell.

“No, I can’t. Most of it looks too faded to give me any sort of understanding of it.” I shrugged. “Have you been able to open it at all?"

“It was locked with simple mechanisms, but the hardest part was the magical seal on the door.”

“Did you just say magical seal?” I asked, wondering if I heard wrong. “That’s not right. From what we know so far, humans are completely incapable of using any sort of magic at all.”

“I’m just as surprised as you were. For all their amazing works, this was the most surprising discovery. Emery was the one that managed to get the lock off, but she’s been feeling out of it, so she headed to bed early.”

That explains why Emery was asleep, but this still puzzled me. Why would a barrier be put up here on this door and what kind magic allowed it to be sustained for so long?

“What’s the plan, Boss? Are we going in now?” He asked, eager for my orders.

I turned around and noticed all the other surrounding ponies from before were now around us. Coming from the stairs was Bronco, another unicorn, and the rest of the remaining ponies from above. Well, excluding Emery anyway. The two immediately went straight for Silver.

“Sir, the shield’s strength will hold up for at least another two days, give or take.” The unicorn said.

“That’s more than enough time for recovery for Emery.” Silver looked back to me. “Boss, I recommend we take a small team of four or so inside. We don’t know what we’re going to find in there.”

My thoughts still went back to the magical seal on the gate. There had to be a reason why it was put up. Someone obviously didn’t want anything in there coming out. Question was: what was in there that was so dangerous that it required a magical seal? Humans, as far as my research has gone into them, are incapable of magic, but make up for it in ingenuity. The mystery of this place only deepened and I wanted to find out why.

“You’re right, Silver. I’d rather not risk the entire team to danger or possibly even death. I’ll lead the scouting party. We’ll need a day to prepare and worst case scenario if something goes wrong, get help. Otherwise, everyone return to their normal duties and do not touch the door.”

Everypony nodded and the ones that were originally here went back to their normal areas while the others left for upstairs, Bronco and Silver included. I looked back at the door. The excitement I had still lingered in my heart, but another feeling rose as well: Fear.

It’s my strongest desire to find out what happened to humanity, why they disappeared, why they went extinct. But if opening these doors meant repeating their history on us, would it be worth it to find out?

…I honestly don’t know.


Hey, guys, Derping here bringing you another update. I'm surprised this story is doing so well. Anyways, this is a little longer than the other one, but not enough to be noticeable. Still trying to get the hang of writing in a first person perspective. As always, your likes/dislikes, and comments are appreciated. If you see a mistake, call me out in the comments.

I'll see you guys in the next installment. Later!