• Published 5th Feb 2022
  • 335 Views, 20 Comments

Carrot Troubles - Matthais Unidostres



Angel Bunny is cursed with the worst possible luck after finding a big carrot in the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
0
 20
 335

1

In a darkened section of the Everfree Forest, the underbrush rustled from the small figure moving through it. The crunching of dead leaves and the rustling of tall grass could be heard amid the soundtrack of insects and birds. Out of several stalks of tall grass came the head of a white bunny rabbit.

Fluttershy's closest animal companion was quite a ways from home at the moment. However, this wouldn't be the first time Angel Bunny had strayed into the Everfree Forest. Every once in awhile, Angel would not be content with a meal that the Pegasus had set before him. It would either lack in flavor, lack in effort, lack in freshness, or simply just be lacking. In the past, tantrums were enough to get what he wanted, but now all tantrums had gotten him was the Stare. Therefore, the bunny would have no choice but to search for something better himself. It turned out that the Everfree was home to some pretty large vegetables. As for why, maybe it was the fact that the forest's nature and weather was out of pony control, or perhaps it was because of the Tree of Harmony, or Discord's plunder seeds, or Nightmare Moon's residual influence. Not that Angel particularly cared about that. All he knew was that the Everfree had some big vegetables, he wanted them, and liked going for them.

Now, the Everfree Forest did have a reputation of being dangerous. Angel Bunny also had a reputation as well. He wasn't your average, sweet, timid, defenseless prey. Angel was a rough and tough customer, not to mention speedy and quick witted. So, these occasional excursions into the Everfree were no big deal to him.

With a empty, rumbling tummy, Angel hopped around the shadowy forest floor, sniffing the ground in search of anything large and edible. The bunny frowned as he continued along, until his nose suddenly caught whiff of something very appealing. Straightening up, Angel hopped forwards towards a bush, and then pushed his way right through it.

Before him was a rather small clearing in the darkened forest, and in the center of that clearing were the leafy stalks of a carrot growing out of the ground.

Angel smiled and chuckled happily at the welcoming sight of the carrot leaves, and he swiftly bounded over to them. As he did this, however, he failed to notice the ominous sign as he ran over it, his rabbit feet trampling over the grave and cryptic words: BEWARE THE CURSED CARROT THAT REFUSES TO BE EATEN! DO NOT TOUCH!

Blissfully unaware of the warning, Angel Bunny ran up to the vegetable and stood rubbing his paws together and smirking like a super villain. He then grabbed the green stalks with his paws and gave them a tug. He could already see the orange of the carrot below peeking out of the dirt. Eager to get his paws on the sweet vegetable, Angel gave the carrot top three swift tugs. The carrot was clearly quite big, as while it did move upwards a few inches, most of it was still securely stuck below the ground.

The impatient bunny that he was, Angel huffed and chomped onto the green carrot leaves, swiftly eating them up leaving only a short green stem left on the carrot. He then grabbed the sides of the orange top of the carrot and twisted it left and right twice in each direction in an attempt to unscrew the carrot out of the ground. This did make some progress, as now the carrot was halfway out of the ground. And yet, this was a rather large carrot, about as tall as Angel himself minus his ears.

With his impatience growing, Angel Bunny let go of the carrot and laid down on the ground in front of it. He then put both of his big rabbit feet on either side of it, gripping it tightly, eyes closed and face scrunched up in exertion, and pulled upwards three times.

CRACK!

Angel's eyes popped open and his body froze as both of his ears shot upward. Then his right ear twitched as it began to pick up some sounds coming from beneath him.

CRACK-crack-crackle-crackle. . .

As Angel laid on his back and looked between his big feet, he could see a crack snacking out from where the tip of the carrot was still stuck in the ground. He watched as rocks and dirt popped out of the crack as it moved forwards and away from him and the carrot.

Angel then looked up and suddenly saw the reason for why this section of the Everfree Forest was so dark even though it was in the middle of the afternoon. There was a large cliff shadowing this part of the forest, and the crack was racing right up the side of this cliff. Angel sat up and watched as the crack went all the way up the cliff-face and then over the top of it.

POP!

Angel could see bit of rock go flying at the top of the tall cliff, but his ears could also pick up the sound of moving earth and sliding stone grinding against more stone. Then a large section of the cliff appeared to just come loose and fall down several feet before it then started to slid forward, headed right for him.

Angel's ears finally moved out of their straight position and hung down low as the bunny gulped nervously. As the shadow of the huge section of cliff loomed over him, Angel got back up on his feet and ran back the way he had come. However, about three seconds into his running, he paused mid step and swiftly turned around towards the large carrot, it's tip still wedged into the ground.

Angel's chest heaved as his eyes darted between the carrot and the approaching cliff. He then reached into his fluffy tail and pulled out his silver stopwatch. He took a good look at it, doing a few quick calculations in his head, then he put it away and ran back towards the carrot.

Upon reaching the vegetable, Angel grabbed it with one paw and swiftly turned around to take off with it. Angel let out a gasp when his dash was stopped by the carrot's refusal to come out, as there was still a good two inches of it stuck in the ground. Angel turned around and grabbed the carrot with both paws, then gave a strong tug straight upwards. When the carrot still didn't budge, Angel threw his head back and pulled it at an angle, grunting and groaning and throwing his back into it.

Angel caught his breath for a moment, only to let out a gasp when he saw the approaching cliff. The bunny turned away from the source of the dark shadow, shaking his head and closing his eyes, and then ran around to the other side of the carrot and tried pushing it with his paws. Angel ran forwards as he pushed, his feet unable to find purchase in the soft, loose soil.

When this technique failed, Angel ran back around the carrot again and once again tried pulling it straight up, but to no avail. But then, an idea struck Angel, causing his ears to stick up like signal flags. He looked down at his big, strong feet, then at the carrot. Then he quickly lifted his left foot and placed it against the side of the carrot. Then he grabbed hold of the vegetable with his paws and pulled with all his might while pushing off with his foot.

POP!

Angel went flying backwards and landed flat on his back, and large carrot landing on his stomach. As Angel instinctively grabbed the carrot with his paws, he looked and let out a horrified scream as he saw the massive boulders and pointy chunks of rocks that were being kicked up the moving cliff headed in his general directions.

Angel quickly got up and ran for his life as the giant stone projectiles smashed into the ground inches behind him. Trees and bushes were taken out all around him as the rain of stone crushed everything in its path. All Angel could focus on was running away as fast as he could while still holding the large carrot in his paws.

Angel tore through a bush and ended up jumping off the top of a steep incline. In desperation, Angel moved the carrot underneath him so that he landed on top of it and was now riding it like a sled down the incline. Angel's eyes were wide as he was on the cusp of hyperventilation, his chest heaving up and down. Then, a dark shadow was cast over him. He looked up and saw a massive boulder flying through the air right above him.

Angel let out another scream and leaned forward, willing his carrot sled to go just a little faster as he approached the bottom of the incline.

CRASH!

Angel was suddenly stopped cold as along with the crash of the boulder he could feel his fluffy tail being flattened. Angel looked behind him and saw that the boulder hand landed a centimeter away from crushing him, only managing to land on his tail. However, the boulder was slowly rolling forward, moments away from crushing the rabbit completely.

Angel pulled the carrot out from under him and held it outward as he felt his but beginning to be flattened. He then stabbed the tip of the carrot into the ground in front of him and used it as an anchor to pull his body free from the boulder. Just as the boulder was rolling onto his feet and legs, the pop-eyed bunny gave one final desperate tug, and both he and the carrot were inexplicable flung out from under the boulder and into the air.

Angel flailed his arms and legs, and immediately grabbed hold of the carrot and held it close. He smiled smugly at his ingenuity, taking pride in his escape from the boulder. Then he looked down, and he let out another terrified scream as he saw that was falling over the side of yet another cliff.

Angel held up his carrot as he landed on his stomach and slid down another incline, then hit a ramp-shaped rock that sent him upwards and caused him to lose hold of the carrot.

Angel bounced down the incline, landing on his head twice, then on his stomach, then his back, then face flat on level ground. He laid there for a moment, his nose twitching to show that he was still alive. Then he opened his eyes, and made a shaky attempt to get up. He realize that his buck teeth were stuck into the ground, and took a moment to pull them out and shake off his dizziness. He stood up on his feet and looked around, and saw that was no longer in the Everfree Forest, but still somewhere in the wilds of nature.

Angel's eyes then widened as he recalled the reason for his harrowing experience, and he looked around for any sign of the large carrot. He sniffed around for it a bit, only to slouch slightly when he found no trace of the vegetable. Angel's stomach gurgled loudly, and tears welled up in his eyes as Angel stood dejected with his ears hanging low.

Clunk!

Something struck Angel in the back of the head, causing him to wobble slightly from a new bout of dizziness. Angel blinked his eyes and shook his head in shock when he saw the carrot lying on the ground in front of him. Angel quickly grabbed the carrot and hugged it, smiling in relief and sniffing it from top to tip.

With a big grin on his face, Angel stood up tall, held the carrot up to his mouth, and prepared to take a bite.

Stomp!

A pale yellow pony hoof suddenly came down on top of the bunny, squashing him while also causing the carrot to go flying out of his paws.

"Huh? What the-?"

"What is it Sandbar?"

"I think I stepped on something."

"Ewwww."

"No-no-no, wait. It actually. . .felt nice and soft."

". . .Yeah. . .riiiiiight. . ."

"No, Smolder, really. I swear! I'm being totally honest here."

". . .Fine, make way."

The pale yellow hoof was raised, and three more hooves followed it away. Angel lifted his head out of the hoofprint. Angel blinked his eyes and looked around dizzily.

STOMP!

An orange dragon foot came down even harder on top of the rabbit, and this one pressed down and twisted slightly while atop the rabbit.

"Huh. . . how about that? He's right. It is pretty soft. Feels better than walking on hard igneous rocks, that's for sure. You want a turn, Ocellus?"

"Oh, I don't know. . . I mean, we don't even know what's going on here."

"C'mon, it's safe. Don't you like learning and stuff?"

The orange scaly foot came back up, and Angel quickly sat up with a pained yet dazed expression on his face as it and a second scaly foot followed and left him behind.

"Well . . .okay, for the sake of research. . ."

Stomp!

A light blue chitinous hoof landed on the bunny, pressing down slightly after landing.

". . .Interesting. . .it is rather soft. . . Like a pillow."

"Really?! Cool! My turn!"

"Sure, Silverstream."

The light blue chitinous hoof was lifted, and it joined three others in gently and daintily tip-toeing away. Angel rolled over and raised his arms, along with his left foot.

Thump!

A magenta colored talon landed heavily on Angel, but quickly bounced off leaving Angel stunned and lying flat on his back. The flapping of wings could be heard coming from above as well.

"Teeheeheehee! That was kinda bouncy! Your turn, Gallus!"

"Ah. . .no."

"Aww, come on, Gally! For me? Pleeease?"

". . .Ugh, okay, if that's what you want."

Thump!

An yellow eagle's talon came down right on top of Angel, and quickly went on its way, followed by another eagle talon and two blue lion paws.

"There. I did it. I felt nothing."

"Really? But it- oh, I know! Try using one of your paws instead!"

"Ugh! Fine!"

STOMP!

One of the blue lion paws stepped backwards and landed hard on top of the bunny.

"Heeeeey. . . .not bad. Not bad at all. . ."

The lion paw pressed deep into the hoof print, the toes flexing as they felt around.

"Yeah, it's kinda like a cloud, I guess. Nice pad support. Still weird though."

The blue paw and its twin walked off, and Angel shakily reached his own soft white paw up out of the depression in the ground, his right eye twitching and both ears bent and crooked.

"Yona's turn!"

STOMP!

A dark grey cloven hoof came down hard on top Angel with a solid, powerful impact.

". . .Why yak no feel anything?"

The dark grey cloven hoof came up, this time with Angel stuck to the bottom of it. The hoof Angel was stuck to joined three others as Angel was walked off, and was squashed down hard into the ground again when another step was taken.

"Strange. . .and there's nothing there now."

"You're right, Ocellus. Whatever we were stepping on is gone!"

"Forget it, Sandbar. It doesn't matter anyway. C'mon guys."

"How can you say that, Gallus? We can't just leave this mystery unsolved!"

"Ocellus. . ."

The six creatures proceeded to walk away from the area, continuing to talk amongst themselves as they resumed their friendship nature hike, while Angel continued to soundlessly cry out in pain as he was repeatedly stomped into the ground beneath the hoof of the yak with every step the yak took.

"You know, we really should've just taken a moment to look down at what were stepping on."

"Friend Silverstream is right! Why no creature stop and look? Now Yona miss out!"

All the while, the carrot continued to bounce and roll away.

Author's Note:

This fanfic is dedicated to Dinoman213. May he soon find his own special way to show off his writing skills on this site that can truly showcase his own creativity, imagination, and sense of humor.