• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 791 Views, 16 Comments

My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic: Heart of Friendship - ShadowDurza



After recovering from their epic battle, our heroines discover an ancient secret about the very origins of friendship, and the origins of friendship problems, and set out to solve it by reuniting the ponies with their ancient two-legged friends.

  • ...
1
 16
 791

Chapter 11: The Aristocrat of Warriors

A human man sitting on a bench drinking from a paper cup paused for a moment as they spotted something out of the corner of their eye. Eyes widening, they nudged the one sitting next to them with their elbow. “Hey, check her out!”

The other man lowered their newspaper and gazed at the creature their benchmate was pointing at. “I don’t like to judge, but you’ve got some weird tastes.”

“No! I mean, did you see the expression on her face? Why does a pretty little thing like her have such a determined expression?”

“So you are into her!”

“It’s called aesthetics, man! Just because I think a statue is beautiful doesn’t mean I want to make out with it!”

“Yeah, right! You totally want to… hey, isn’t she heading right for Masters?”

“That looney’s place? Weird, considering that he was part of the…”

“Shh! Do you want the central forces to haul you off? You’ve got a family to feed!”

“Right, sorry. Just found it ironic is all…”

“I think the proper term is ‘fitting’ in this situation.”

“Look here you…!”

An unknowing Rarity left the argument behind as she entered the building with the plate emblazoned with the words Masters Holdings and Loans bolted above the doors which she pulled open with her magic. However, she hesitated for a moment when she saw what was inside.

Whoever owns this place has such good taste!” Everything in the room was perfectly coordinated between its colors of sea green, brass, and ivory, which blended well with the nautical themed antiques such as authentic sea charts, bronzed anchors, and a chandelier made from a repurposed helm.

“Do you have an appointment… Miss?” Rarity just noticed the secretary wearing the lime-green blazer sitting at the front desk. Before her was a glass pane displaying various images with many smaller bits of glass below it with individual characters.

Remembering her mission, she cantered right up to the desk. “I need to speak to Sloop, right away!”

The secretary rolled her eyes. “I’m sorry. Mr. Masters can’t be disturbed, he’s with a client and can’t be bothered even for a political delegate.”

Rarity was starting to get visually agitated, hopping on her hooves. “But my friends and Madam von Wrinkle are in trouble and…”

Rarity grew silent at the sight of the secretary’s expression. She slowly reached over to an adjacent intercom and pressed a button. “Um… Mr. Masters, there’s a pony here that claims to know Maxine. She’s saying it’s an emergency.”

When she released her hand, the intercom made an electric click and a confident voice rang out. “Really? Wow! Send them in. I’m basically done with this guy anyway.”

The secretary pointed to Rarity’s right. “Take the hallway and enter through the last door on the left.”

Rarity smiled as she turned towards the hall. “Thank you so much dear! And your makeup perfectly accents your eyes and outfit!” She left behind the secretary, who had a flattered look on her face that hadn’t appeared in a long time.

Rarity arrived at a door emblazoned with the words Sloop Masters and the words Owner, Broker, and Chief Venturerer which in turn were above a symbol consisting of a tiller with a compass in the center with two outwardly curving waves adjacent. Rarity gently knocked on the door with her hoof. The same confident voice from the intercom rang out. “Come in, I’ll be done in a second!”

Rarity entered the office and trotted over to the side, enamored at the scene before her. In front of the desk was a small, bald man visibly sweating with an anxious look. At the desk was a board looking young man in a black suit with dark blonde hair, light skin with a sun kissed glow, and light brown eyes leaning back in a leather chair with a bored look.

Once the small man seemed to have worked up some nerve, he spoke up. “I can’t keep up with my mortgage sir, not with my kids and wife as sick as they are right now! I just need a little something to get over the hump, preferably with a low interest rate!”

The young man sighed, reached down, and effortlessly hefted up a large suitcase and set it on the desk with a loud slam, which opened it up to reveal it full to bursting with paper money in both halves. “Okay Jason, here’s two million, I’ll give it to you at one point five percent, pay me back in three hundred years.”

Jason looked like he was about to vomit in shock. “Butbutbut… this is way too much! I can’t ask you to give me that much!”

The young man sighed, spun the suitcase around, and tossed out a bundle of bills in front of it. “Fine, here’s two thousand, you can have that for three hundred percent interest, pay me back next Tuesday.”

If Jason was in a cold sweat before, he now had a hot sweat on top of it. “Okay, I admit, I’m desperate! But even I’ve got some dignity! I won’t sit here just to be insulted even by you!”

On that note, the young man straightened up, grabbed a few more bundles of cash, and threw them on the desk. “Okay, I was just having some fun with you before because I haven’t gotten out in a while. Here, take six grand, no bells and whistles. I just need a favor.”

Jason started looking confused. “What kind of favor?”

“You work in foundation repair right? Because you’re an earth elemental that can sense pulsations in the ground? I want you to accompany me to the quartz towers cave in a couple months. I have reason to believe that a volcanic pocket’s going to pop up there, and a power station I own has a lot of lightning elementals out sick and they could use the geothermal energy to make up for the loss until they recover. Can you do that for me?”

Jason started looking relieved, but a little anxious. “I definitely could do that, but aren’t there a lot of big monsters out there? What guarantee do I have that I’ll make it back alive?”

The young man started leaning forward on his elbows. “I can provide adequate protection, and if worst comes to worst, I can just lure them away while you sneak out.”

“Well… I… Um… Okay then, want to get that in writing?”

“I’ll have June out there draft up a contract and you can swing over to sign it in a week, maybe over lunch.”

With a smile, Jason reached over with his hand open, and the young man took it in his hand and shook. When Jason left the office, the young man took a relaxed position in his seat. “Come on, don’t be shy, little pony. Have a seat!”

“Thank you very much.” She trotted over to the now empty seat and dropped her rump onto it, cringing at the warm, wet sensation left behind by its previous occupant. “I take it you’re Sloop Masters? My name is Rarity, if you don’t mind.”

“I don’t mind one bit, miss Rarity.” He leaned back in his chair and put his fingertips together. “You said you know Madam von Wrinkle?”

Rarity nodded. “Indeed.”

Sloop sighed and sat straight up. “So I take it there’s trouble at the place we shouldn’t talk about because it’s dedicated to the things we’re not allowed to talk about?”

Rarity narrowed her eyes and frowned. “You take it correctly, Mr. Masters.”

“Can you tell me what kind of trouble she’s in without mentioning the you-know-what?”

“I’m afraid it’s the Underworlders. Does the name Crazy Joe ring familiar to you?”

Sloop narrowed his eyes. “Oh, I know him. He’s blown up several of my best debtor’s businesses for refusing to pay their exuberant protection fees. I suppose we shouldn’t keep your friends and Maxine waiting any longer with someone as dangerous as that running about.” Sloop reached over to the intercom and pressed the button. “Miss June, please reschedule all my meetings for the day. I’m going to go on another adventure.”

He released the button, and shortly after, June’s voice rang out electronically. “Shall I get your adventure apparel ready?”

He pressed the button once again. “You’ve read my mind Miss June.”

Sloop got out of his seat and started undoing his tie. “Do you mind waiting a few more moments? If I’m going to fight with my life on my line, I may as well look my best!”

Rarity’s eyes widened and sparkled. “Oh, I have a feeling I’m going to like you, Mr. Masters!”

***

The doors made a sharp ding! As they opened up to allow the passengers to enter. One, an elegant white-coated unicorn, the other a magnificently (over) dressed human wearing a red and black naval officer uniform with gold trim and tassels and a black tricorn hat with a white compass symbol stitched into the side of the frontward point. When rarity first saw this ensemble back at the office, she was rendered speechless.

As they strided and trotted into the entry hall, they were suddenly startled by a loud explosion that shook the entire tower. Regaining his composure, Sloop stood up straight and corrected the angle of his hat. “Sounds like he’s in a bad mood.”

After flipping her mane back in place, Rarity trotted over next to Sloop. “I don’t think he appreciates my friends’ tactics.”

Sloop straightened his coat. “In a life-or-death battle, anything goes. He’s got no right to be upset after throwing down the gauntlet.”

Making a gesture, he pointed deeper into the halls. “But I digress, let’s not keep your friends and Madam von Wrinkle waiting, shall we?” Rarity nodded in approval before following Sloop as he raced into the fray.

Meanwhile, Crazy Joe was going ballistic, swinging around his fail making dents in the walls and haphazardly flinging bombs that exploded on contact. Despite the noise, he paused when he heard tapping of fine leather boots and the clopping of finely manicured hooves. Soon the fancy pony/human duo entered the densely scorched and cratered hall.

Sloop stepped forward. “Crazy Joe, this place is as sacred as it is secret! As an Underworlder, you must understand the sanctity of such a thing! Leave now or face my onslaught!”

Sloop suddenly raised his arms as his weapons appeared in them. They resembled small, scarlet red crossbows: Their bodies were composed of rings with four triangular points with the outward one serving as the barrels, being slender and much longer. Extending and curving upward from the handles were thick guards that each had six diamond-like shapes that were flat and bladed all lined up curving towards the barrel.

Crazy Joe responded by flinging a bomb with a wave of his free hand. Rarity however, erected a shield of crystal with a beam from her horn that the bomb harmlessly exploded against. Meanwhile, Sloop rolled out from behind it and shot four missiles of energy that erupted from the smoke and got Crazy Joe straight in the chest plate, causing him to stagger backwards, barely keeping his footing.

Keeping up this momentum, Sloop rushed towards Crazy Joe, holding his arrowguns outward. Crazy Joe defended by swinging his flail around him. However, a red arrow of energy appeared at sloop’s feet that sent him upward with a flip the moment he tread on it, allowing him to rain down the eight remaining shots from his weapons on Crazy Joe, who barely managed to shield himself with his free hand.

As sloop landed, he began to focus as he magically reloaded each shot from his weapons one by one. Crazy Joe took this opportunity to wave his free hand and create six mines on the ground in front of him which began racing towards Sloop.

They came to rest in front of him and began to glow bright red before exploding. However, a red circle of energy with an arrow pointing upwards from the center appeared between the mines and sloop which somehow redirected the force of the blasts upwards, leaving Sloop unharmed.

Sloop rose up and turned around to point his fully loaded weapons back at Crazy Joe. “Give it up Joe, my compass element’s a water derivative! A mid-ranker like you will have a hard time beating it with your fire derivative element!”

With hate in his eyes, Crazy Joe made a low, deep, growel and whirled his weapon above him at a great speed before flinging it towards Sloop as hard as he could. However, Rarity shot another shield of crystal to protect Sloop, this time angled to bounce the wrecking ball upward.

Making one of his twin weapons disappear, Sloop quickly pointed his free hand upward, releasing another arrow of energy that zoomed to attach itself to the ball and point directly at Crazy Joe. With a flash of red light, the ball was sent rocketing towards its holder and collided with him with a loud BONG!

Crazy Joe was still standing, but he was left dazed by the impact. Sloop made his other arrowgun reappear and pointed them, tops angled parallel to one another, at Crazy Joe. Rarity released her crystal shield. With a flash, all of the ammunition from both arrowguns disappeared as a giant missile of magic erupted from between both barrels, sending Crazy Joe flying to the wall, unmoving.

Spinning his weapons, Sloop made them disappear in two flashes of red light. “And that’s that!”

Rarity carefully cantered up to Sloop, staring at Crazy Joe. “Is he going to be alright?”

Sloop gave a low, confident laugh. “He’ll be fine. I set them to stun, so he’ll just wake up with a pounding headache after all that. More than he deserves if you ask me!”

Sloop then took a deep breath and pointed outward. “For now, I suggest we find your friends and see if I can do something about that curse! I don’t want to tax Madam von Wrinkle’s time magic any longer than we have to.”

With a smile and a flourish of her mane, Rarity elegantly galloped towards the wall. “Quite so! I’ll open the way for you.”

***

Everypony and everybody anxiously stared at the bombs attatched to their bodies, which now were surrounded by red circles of light with a triangular arrows pointing outward from them. Twilight turned towards the new human. “Are you sure this will work? This is a very… kinetic form of magic. How do you know it won’t just concentrate the blasts like a rocket?”

Pinkie glanced at her bomb. “Does that mean we’ll fly around like fireworks?”

Rainbow Dash squinted at her own bomb. “I just hope we don’t end up like fireworks at the end of their flame!”

Sloop gave a confident laugh and crossed his arms. “Don’t worry! I’ve dealt with explosives lots of times! my element can compensate for forces in all directions!”

Maxine placed her hands together, smiling at Sloop. “Young Mr. Masters is one of the most capable individuals I’ve ever had the privilege of working with. I trust him completely.”

Sloop made a less confident laugh, looked away, and made a parting gesture with his hand. “Thanks so much for that, Madam. But to be extra safe, everyone should spread out and brace themselves against the walls, pointing their bombs outward.”

With a mix of determination and unease, the group followed these instructions, spread out as far as they could, pressing themselves against the walls of the square, bronze and marble room. Everyone eyed their own counters, nervously watching each number fall. Moments later, each one was in their final stretch. As the numbers reached their ones place, each one of them tightly shut their eyes and turned their heads away.

With several deafening BOOMS! In succession, each bomb detonated with a cannon-like eruption of flame and light one after the other. When everyone regained their senses, the smoke cleared to show everyone still in one piece.

However, before they could express their relief, Carmilla’s knees gave out from under her and she quickly fell to the ground.

Everyone quickly rushed over. At first, the ponies crowded around her, but Fluttershy used her wings to give Maxine some space to inspect her. “How bad is it, Madam von Wrinkle…?”

Maxine gently patted Carmilla’s forehead, then bent down to listen to her breathing, then finally grasped her wrist in hand and pressed her fingers to its base. “Not good I’m afraid. I think she’s going into shock. She always was such a delicate thing, this whole ordeal must have been too much for her.”

Sloop soon bent down to Carmilla’s other side and looked at Maxine. “She’s a blood elemental, right?”

Maxine turned to give Sloop a look of confusion. “Yes, but what does that- What are you doing Mr. Masters?

Almost immediately, Sloop brought his thumb towards his mouth, bit down, and tore the skin on its tip open. Then he hovered it over Carmilla’s mouth and allowed a few drops to trickle in. Soon, Carmilla’s breathing steadied and her eyes fluttered open. But once she got a good look at what was going on, she spasmed in horror.

In response to this, Sloop gripped his thumb to stem the flow of blood, but still held it over Carmilla’s face. “It’s okay, It’s okay, I know, I know. It’s not always easy to do what you need to do to keep going on, but you have to keep living no matter what, but you don’t have to do it alone. As a blood elemental, you can recover from nearly anything by consuming the blood of others, and I’m willing to give you as much as you need, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I hadn’t at least offered.”

After looking in Sloop's eyes for a few moments, Carmilla relaxed a bit and slowly opened her mouth for Sloop to drip more blood in, the color slowly returning to her cheeks.

Meanwhile, while everyone was focused on the heartwarming scene before them, a shadow came creeping from around the corner of the entryway and, giving off a satisfied yet inaudible laugh, slid back into the shadow below Twilight.