• Published 24th Dec 2021
  • 109 Views, 0 Comments

Hearth’s Warming Stories - Don the Bassman



Short Hearth's Warming Stories

  • ...
 0
 109

Shadow's Hearth's Warming Eve

“The door opened and in walked the greenest rookie I’ve ever seen. This pony wasn’t just colored green, but his armor shined like a colt just out of boot camp.”

“Umm, Lieutenant Shadow Star,” The green coated earth pony clad in the armor of the Royal Guard said looking at the deep purple coated pony. The other guard ponies in the room regarded the new addition with slightly narrowed eyes. “You do know I’m right here and can hear you, right?”

“The young guard said.” Shadow Star commented, “You could tell it was Swift Arrow’s first Hearths Warming Eve with the Night Watch. Actually, it was his first night with the Night Watch period.”

“Ummm, ma’am?” Swift Arrow asked, looking around at the other guards. “What’s going on?”

“He questioned the lieutenant,” A gold colored, armored unicorn chimed in. “I was going to help explain it to him, but the clock was about to chime the start of the nightly patrols, so I wouldn’t have the time to help him out.”

“’Okay, everyone to your patrols!’ I called out as the clock chimed 10 o’clock.” Shadow narrated, “’Swift Arrow, you are patrolling with me on your first night.’ I told him, leading him out into the halls as the rest of the Night Watch saluted and headed off to their regular patrol routes.”

“Um, okay, ma’am.” Responded Swift Arrow.

“’The new guard said, falling in step beside me as we started towards the edge of the castle, his new patrol route. Normally it would have been his new partner, Artic Sweeper, to show the new pony the patrol, but he managed to take leave tonight to be with his new wife on their first Hearths Warming Eve after their wedding. I glanced over at Swift Arrow, looking him up and down. I had a feeling that Artic would get along with his new partner, even though Swift was being a bit quiet as we began the patrol route.”

“We had walked the first part of the route and were coming up to where Thunder Metal and Steel Bristle’s patrol would cross this one.”

“Steel Bristle and I had walked a quiet patrol with nothing but the falling snow being found on the upper pathways of the wall. We had walked down the stairs and found ourselves facing Lieutenant Shadow Star and the rookie, Swift Arrow.”

“’Nothing out of the ordinary at the moment, all is clear.’ I reported to the commander and rookie. It was standard procedure to let the other patrols know if anything is going on when you cross paths. However, it doesn’t look like the new guy has caught on to the Hearths Warming Eve tradition of the Night Watch.”

“As Steel Bristle gave the report, I kept an eye on the courtyard. I noticed that Swift Arrow was still looking confused as he listened. Smiling at the rookie, ‘It’s a little confusing at first, but I have no doubt you’ll get the hang of it.’ I explained.”

“’Thank you, Steel,’ I responded, ‘Everything is clear on our front. We are going to be going by the Hot Coco cart out by the gate, I’ll be sending around mugs.”

“’Thank you, Lieutenant!’ I exclaimed with a little bounce. ‘I know I speak for Thunder and, well, the rest of the Night Watch in saying that we are very happy that you have kept our traditions alive when you took over command of the Night Watch.’”

“’They’ve been in place for a long time before I came to the Night Watch, Steel.’ I responded. ‘I see no reason why they should be stopped.’”

“My eyes went wide as I finally realized what the tradition they’ve been doing was! ‘Film Noir Detective Story Style Narration!’ I exclaimed!!” Swift Arrow shouted. “’That explains all the out loud narration! I feel so silly for not realizing it from the start! Am I right, that this is the tradition?’ I asked.”

“’You’ve got it, rookie.’ I replied.” Shadow said with a big smile, “’Every Hearths Warming Eve, the Night Watch narrates everything, Film Noir Style. And all new members have to figure it out for themselves. It’s tradition.’”

“’Welcome to the Night Watch, Swift Arrow.’ I said, giving him a pat on the back.” Steel Bristle chimed in, slapping the new guard on the back. “’We have to get back to the patrol, see you later.’ I turned back to our patrol route and started walking, leaving the Rookie and Lieutenant to their route.”

“With a wave, I joined Steel Bristle, and headed back to patrolling.” Thunder Metal said, catching up to the other guard.

“’Well, Lieutenant.’ I said, ‘I guess we should get back to our patrol.’”

“I gave Swift Arrow a smile and a nod, ‘You are correct, let’s get back to it. And Happy Hearths Warming, Swift.’”

“Happy Hearths Warming, Ma’am.”