• Published 22nd Dec 2021
  • 280 Views, 2 Comments

The Luna's lament. - coto616



When Luna returned after a thousand years, she succeeded in defeating her sister and banishing her to the moon, but the eternal night was the worst thing that could happen to Equestria.

  • ...
 2
 280

Good day

Luna was lying on the grass on a green hill, under a bright sun and almost no clouds in the sky, the grass in front of her and the leaves of the trees swayed with the gentle breeze, but she could not feel the wind on her skin, nor could she feel the warmth of the sun, the only thing she could do was to contemplate in the distance a small village that in a very humble way was preparing for some celebration, Luna could see how the ponies hung colorful ribbons over their houses and prepared hundreds of delicious dishes in the central square, she thought that if she concentrated enough she could smell the aroma of such delicacies they had prepared or hear the laughter of the village ponies and had an irresistible desire to join them, but she knew she could not attend the celebration, she could only observe with nostalgia and regret.

Quietly a pegasus approached her from her side, her mane and tail of a bright fiery orange made a beautiful contrast to her alabaster white coat, with green eyes and a cutie mark in the shape of a crescent moon.

"Hello Luna, what are we looking at?" The unicorn asked with a smile.

"You know exactly what I'm looking at Sunny." Replied Luna somewhat annoyed by the question without taking her eyes off the small village.

"I guess you're right as usual." Said Sunny chuckling.

"I'm not always right."

"No one is perfect Luna, you know that better than anyone, however by my standards you are a perfect mother."

Luna lowered her gaze a little and smiled softly. "Thank you Sunny, and tell me, how do you like your new mane?."

"Like it? I love it." Sunny replied giving a few little jumps of joy. "I've wanted you to do something original again for a long time."

"Well, it's not every day you turn two hundred and I wanted to give you something special, but I couldn't wait for your birthday and wanted to give it to you today."

"Thank you, Luna, hopefully someday I can give you something real." Sunny stopped prancing and showed sadness on her face.

"Don't worry Sunny." Luna replied softly.

"I know mother, it's just that sometimes I want to give you something but I don't have the means to do it."

Luna smiled and looked Sunny in the face, then shook her head so she would understand that there was no need for her to worry.

"And why are you looking at the village?"

"They're going to hold some kind of celebration."

"Are they going to celebrate something special?"

"They are going to celebrate the end of the harvest season."

"Hmmm, that's why the colorful ribbons and food on the tables?."

"It's a small and rather humble village, celebrate all their festivities almost the same way."

"And you don't want to participate?"

"You know as well as I do that I can't go to that place Sunny."

"You could try, in the end, you lose nothing, and you could gain a lot."

"Gain what things, disappointment?, loneliness?, despair? , more guilt than I feel now?, a feeling of sadness that will only increase knowing that it's all fake?, that your laughter is fake?, that your celebration is fake too?"

Sunny turned her head to see the small village animatedly preparing for something special.

"I see it as real, mother."

"You don't know what's real Sunny." Luna replied to her daughter in an annoyed manner.

"I only know what you taught me mother and from some things that are in the records, but to me that celebration is real."

"It's not the same Sunny."

"And how do you know that it's not real to me as well as to you."

"Because it simply isn't Sunny, that's why." Luna replied, raising her voice.

"And how are you so sure mother?."

"Because I say so Sunny, that's why." Luna replied again but now angrily.

"So something isn't real just because you say it isn't?"

"Exactly Sunny, it's because I say so, They're not real, this place isn't real, you're not real, none of this is real." Said Luna almost angrily pointing at each thing with her hooves.

"So if I'm not real, then why am I here mother."

"Because I created you Sunny." The anger on the princess's face was evident and she didn't bother to hide it from her daughter. "And the only reason I created you Sunny, was because I was lonely." Sunny took a step back somewhat surprised and Luna covered her mouth with her hooves as she realized what she had said to her daughter. "S-sunny, I..."

"I know you didn't program feelings mother, but somehow that made me feel bad."

"I...I'm sorry Sunny, it's just hard enough to go on, to go on knowing that nothing I do will matter when I'm not in this world." Luna lowered her head regretting yelling at her daughter.

"Don't worry mother, nothing you say can hurt me, but you're wrong about one thing."

Luna looked up to see Sunny.
"A few years ago you told me about the natural way in which ponies are born, and even though I found some parts unpleasant and didn't need such a graphic explanation of the act, I was fascinated by the idea of how two ponies come together not only in body, but also in spirit to create something new out of nothing, to create a new life form, and knowing that you did not need a stallion by your side, I am here, maybe your intentions at the beginning were different, but I know you worked hard for years and dedicated whole days to perfect every part of my being, I am a life form that you created mother, I am a pony. "

Luna opened her eyes wider as she listened to Sunny.

"I know I don't know what the world was like before and I know I will never be able to see it or feel it, nor taste the delicious dishes you have told me about, or walk around feeling the soft spring breeze along with the fragrance of the flowers, but that doesn't mean this isn't real."

Luna looked directly into her daughter's face.

"That little village in the distance even though I don't know it, is real to me, the bright sun above us even though it's not giving me warmth, is real to me, even though I can't feel the breeze swaying the leaves of the trees and I can't feel the grass under my hooves, they are real to me, because you created them, and even if I am not real in the graphic sense of the word, I am real, because you created me mother, I have a life that you gave me and I have learned from what you have taught, and if you create that is not real, excuse me mother but you are wrong because all this is real for me. "

Princess Luna's eyes filled with tears and a big smile forms as she listens to her daughter's words.

"How could I have a daughter with such wisdom?". Luna asked softly.

"I learned from the best mother in the world." Replied Sunny with a chuckle.

"Thank you for your gift Sunny." Said Luna wiping her tears with her hoof.

"My gift mother?" Sunny asked uncertainly.

"Your words Sunny, thank you for always believing in me, even if I am the cause of all this."

"I know you were wrong, and in a big way, and maybe there is no way to fix it, but you also created something completely new and beautiful that will always be willing to help you and support you in everything."

"Do you create the most beautiful Sunny?" Luna asked with a chuckle.

"By the standards that exist in the records, I know I am, plus I know you enhanced some of my attributes." Replied Sunny with a giggle wagging her tail.

"Thanks again Sunny." Luna smiled and nodded her head.

"You know I will always be here for you mother." Sunny just smiled.

"Well, I'll take my leave now, I have to check the long-range organic sensors."

"See you another day mother." Sunny took a few steps back as she said her words.

"See you Sunny." Luna lifted her head and fixed her gaze to the sky. "Computer terminate simulation H01-TA003, and host the "New Sun" project in its core."

"Voice command acknowledged, stopping simulation and hosting project." An ethereal robotic voice replied.

"Goodbye, mother." Sunny finally said before being transformed into millions of light particles that disappeared into the sky, then the rest of the hill suffered the same effect leaving Princess Luna in darkness.

A mechanical sound was heard and the place was completely illuminated, showing Princess Luna that she was in a huge room all alone, the floor, the walls, and even the ceiling of the place were covered by hundreds of stone slabs of a dark blue and opaque color, and at the back of the room, there was a huge metal door with a red sphere shining on its side.

Luna walked towards the sphere of light to touch it and open the huge door, the other side connected to one of the corridors of the Canterlot castle, the stones of the walls were worn by the centuries, the carpets were almost destroyed by the footsteps, many of the windows were broken, and on the ceiling, you could see hundreds of metal or rubber tubes that created a maze of connections and hummed softly, a dim light illuminated the whole place, Luna saw the darkness of the corridor and walked through it.

Each step echoed in the lonely corridors, it had been centuries since no one put flowers in them, nor anyone lit candles to illuminate their way, also left in the past the servants who filled the corridors and halls because now Princess Luna was the last living being in Equestria.

----------------------- A few centuries ago -----------------------

Luna walked down the hallway thinking about what she had done and the beautiful world she had destroyed, how defeating Celestia and banishing her to another dimension would make all the ponies in Equestria love her, but the eternal night caused all the plants and trees to die, And without Celestia to raise the sun again, in just one year a famine struck Equestria, some races like the dragons were able to endure a couple of years without the sun, but each year their population decreased and eventually they too joined the eternal silence.

Finally, the last one she saw alive after years of loneliness was Chrysalis and a handful of her changelings who sought refuge and surrendered unconditionally to Luna, if she gave them enough love to survive, Luna did not have in her mind to have prisoners and cried with joy to see that there was still someone alive, but that joy did not last long when the changelings began to die one by one of starvation leaving only Chrysalis and Luna.

For months both figures kept each other company, Luna could subsist on the energy that Luna gave her and Chrysalis fed on the love that Luna gave her when she asked for it, but little by little Chrysalis started to become mentally unstable and blaming Luna for everything that had happened, that she had destroyed Equestria and had murdered every one of its inhabitants, Luna knew that this was true and apologizing would not change anything, so she just remained silent.

One day in desperation Chrysalis attacked Princess Luna intending to kill her, Luna remembers that she did not defend herself, hoping that Chrysalis would end her life and suffering, between tears and screams Chrysalis beat Luna's face for hours, but the queen was very weak and her blows were like those of a baby, finally, the queen got tired of attacking Luna uselessly and collapsed in a fetal position on the floor to cry for hours and hours, Luna just lay there without a scratch also for hours.

The next day Luna went to Chrysalis' room to feed the queen as she did every day, but the princess found a terrifying scene inside.

An overturned chair on the floor, a black figure hanging from the chandelier, and a note that read "I can't take it anymore..."

Luna ran to her room and locked herself in, it would be days before she would gather the courage to leave, and many more days before she would enter Chrysalis' room again and be able to bury her.

----------------------- -----------------------

But now, unlike other times that Luna remembered this, she did not feel sad or guilty for what she had done, but rather she was happy, she knew she could not change the past, but now she could create a new future, and Sunny would always be with her to support her, a pity that her daughter was doomed to live her whole life as an artificial intelligence inside a computer.

At the end of the corridor, there was an elevator that transported the princess to the new and higher tower that the Canterlot castle had, in it, there was a machine that used special scanners that Luna had systematically installed throughout Equestria, and that served to track any form of life or heat in the hope that if at some point her sister finds a way to return from her exile, Luna could find her in the inhospitable desert that extends beyond where sight is lost.

But as every day the thousands of scans gave negative results, Luna sighed defeated and looked through one of the windows of the tower, and wherever she looked she could only see an eternal desert illuminated by the brightness of the moon and the hundreds of stars, if the princess did not know that she was in Canterlot, someone would easily say that she was on the surface of the moon.

But Luna was feeling optimistic today, and she still had hope that her sister would show up at some point, she also had other projects going on that she had to attend to, like her off-planet life search machine, the non-organic matter transmutation machine, or her cloning machine, which she had not yet been able to test since apparently the DNA sample from an alicorn is too unstable to be sequenced and cloned.

Before going down to review her other projects Luna had an idea that had not crossed her mind before, it had been centuries since she created the mainframe in Canterlot and later the visualization room with the "New Sun" project, a conscious artificial intelligence that named itself "Sunny", but Luna never wondered why she stopped there.

Out of excitement the princess didn't wait for the elevator and used her magic to transport herself to her study room where she thought about her future science projects and compared old notes, threw all her notes on the floor, and started working on a new project on the computer.

All of Sunny's programming, memory, and consciousness were inside a memory core in the visualization room, but it was a physical core, a physically shaped object that could be transported and connected to any computer inside the castle.

"Excellent, this will work perfectly, I don't know why I didn't think of it before." the princess said aloud to herself as she typed in notes and energy usage calculations at a great speed. "If the core can be transported and Sunny already has consciousness and some level of control over the Canterlot computer, I can easily create a body for her to occupy and she can move freely around the castle, I know she would love that."

A soft alarm sounded throughout the castle indicating that it was time for the princess to rest, without the sun to know the passing of the hours the princess had to create a special clock that calculated the time of day according to the movement of the stars.

Luna heard the alarm and saw the clock on the wall and made the last note before stopping to continue the next day.

"Well, the part of programming the new body for Sunny will be simple, but I will need to bring some materials from the mines to create her optical components, I have a little over a year to give her her new surprise gift."

The princess stretched her six limbs before walking off to her room to rest.

"I hope the excitement doesn't keep me from resting tonight, tomorrow I must get up early and start working on creating the body of the future new inhabitant of Equestria."

Luna smilingly withdrew from her study and turned off the light with her magic.

Author's Note:

This is the good ending of the Story :twilightsmile: