• Published 21st Dec 2021
  • 283 Views, 4 Comments

Long ago, in the broken remains of Equestria - thegenieworld

  • ...
 4
 283

Chapter 5

Author's Note:

This chapter contains queer themes because representation is good. If I recieve negative feedback because of that, so be it. I hope you all enjoy.

“It’s been too long!” Twilight was trotting back and forth in the meeting room. “They should have been back a couple of hours ago!” The rest of the Guardians were watching her stressing, concern visible in their eyes.

“Twilight, it’s not like this hasn’t happened before. Day-long missions tend to take a little longer than expected,” Applejack said, keeping her voice calm and steady.

“I know, but if something has happened to Dash we’ll lose a second element instead of finding the first one!” Twilight stopped her pacing, and sat down. “Maybe I should send someone out? No, that’s not a good idea.”

“Alright, that’s enough.” Discord stood up from one of the chairs by the wall. “I know I’m not supposed to make decisions here, but I’m taking Twilight upstairs to have a break for the day.”

“What?” Twilight looked surprised, she stood up again. “I have so much work to do, Discord. I can’t just leave!”

“I can get some work done for you,” Starlight offered.

“Me and Pinkie will help as well.” Rarity added. Twilight didn’t respond. She turned to Applejack.

“Me and Golden can handle a couple of soldiers, Twi. Take the day off.” She was smiling kindly. For just a moment, Starlight could see signs of the ponies the council had been before the war.

“Alright,” Twilight finally said, reluctantly. She left the room with Discord, only looking back once to meet Starlight’s eyes. Starlight smiled and gave a little nod. And then they were gone.

***

“Alright, take a quick break everypony. We’ll get back to those kicks in 15 minutes.” Applejack wiped her sweat on a towel. Golden Flare who was sitting by a table handed her a water bottle. “Thank you.”

Applejack looked out at the soldiers. They were chatting in groups now. They seemed so happy.

“You think they’re just used to it?” Applejack asked, not letting her gaze leave the young ponies.

“Used to what?” Golden Flare responded, now at Applejack’s side.

“Everything. Everything we had to adjust to because of the war.”

“Well, I assume many of them are. They’ve practically grown up with it.”

“Yeah.” Applejack turned around, starting towards a chair, when Scootaloo trotted up to her.

“Hey Applejack,” Scootaloo said, walking alongside the earth pony. “I just wanted to ask if I could have some more private combat lessons later?”

“Yeah, I don’t see why not.” Applejack handed Scootaloo a cup of water once they reached the table. “You have great potential Scootaloo. I hope you know that.” Scootaloo nodded and accepted the glass of water.

***

“Alright Applebloom, what should we make for dinner tonight?” Pinkie asked. Applebloom turned to the pink pony. They were holding a cookbook in their hoof.

“I don’t know, Pinkie,” Applebloom responded. “We’re low on some ingredients at the moment, but I’m sure we can make something good!” Pinkie nodded, dropping the book between them on the kitchen counter.

“Alright, let’s take a look then.” Applebloom looked at the book beside Pinkie, but she couldn’t keep her focus on the recipes as Pinkie turned the pages.

“Oh, man.” Applebloom laid her head on the counter. “I can’t focus. I’m sorry, Pinkie.”

“Is something on your mind?” Pinkie looked concerned. They closed the book and shoved it away.

“Well, I’ve been having dreams of… before.” Applebloom sighed, letting her ears droop down. “Of when me and the crusaders were having fun, running around and solving cutie mark problems.”

“I used to have dreams of before too.” Pinkie patted Applebloom’s mane. “It was weird, I used to have the weirdest dreams, but right after the war started my dreams were of our friendship quests.” Applebloom sat up.

“How about we make some hay burgers and you tell me about the friendship quests?” Pinkie nodded and the two got to work as Pinkie started telling their stories.

***

Twilight’s gaze followed the sun as it lowered behind a hill. Stars were slowly starting to shine in the sky, and the sky itself was a warm shade of purple.

“Twilight, are you sure there’s nothing you want to talk about?” Discord asked from inside the room behind her. She turned her head and saw him just inside the door, lying across a hoofstool.

“I shouldn’t.” Twilight turned back around and continued looking at the darkening sky. “I shouldn’t talk about myself at a time like this.”

“So there is something.” Discord sighed as Twilight didn’t reply. She felt a bit bad, but she’d feel worse if she started worrying about her own problems now. Equestria needed her, so she would have to focus on it. “Twilight, you shouldn’t ignore your needs just because of the war. What would Equestria do if we lost you? You’re the princess-”

“Stop calling me that! I am not a princess!”

“Twilight, when you say things like that I feel like there is something you need to get out of your system.” Discord stepped out on the balcony, standing beside her. She noticed that he wasn’t that much taller than her when he wasn’t standing on two legs.

“I don’t think you’ll like it.”

“Twilight, you don’t have to be scared of how I’ll feel. This is about you.”

“I think… I might not be a mare.” Twilight closed their eyes, waiting for something. Something letting them know that Discord was angry.

“Alright.” He wasn’t mad? “What pronouns do you want me to use then?”

“Uh, he/him - you’re not angry?” Twilight opened his eyes again.

“Of course not, I have no reason to be angry. I love you no matter what.”

“Even if I’m a stallion?” Discord chuckled at that.

“Yes, of course.” Twilight felt a rush of emotions. He was happy, energetic, but somehow finally calm. His earlier stress disappeared. He leaned against Discord, letting his body relax. Discord ran his claw through Twilight’s mane. “I could cut it for you if you want.”

“Please.”

***

The Commander was still going, heading deeper into the Everfree. Firesky knew he should say something, but he kept his mouth shut. There were traps covering this part of the forest. The Commander had every reason to keep going past their missions time. Hoofprints could be seen here and there on the path.

Suddenly, she stopped. Firesky came to a halt behind her. Voices. Just in front of them were bushes and trees, overgrown plants, but behind them there was no doubt. There were other ponies here. The Commander walked forwards, but just before she reached the bushes, the ground disappeared from under them. The three pegasi of the group leapt from the ground, while the rest fell into a hole the height of three ponies.

The voices on the other side of the bush quickly disappeared, but just after that someone appeared. One was a zebra, another was a green pony with red dreadlocks. Firesky didn’t recognize either of them. The third pony, however, was a familiar yellow pegasus with a long, pink mane. She looked surprised to see ponies in armor, but then she caught sight of the Commander.

“Rainbow Dash?”