• Published 21st Dec 2021
  • 283 Views, 4 Comments

Long ago, in the broken remains of Equestria - thegenieworld

  • ...
 4
 283

Chapter 4

The castle hadn’t seen days this busy in a long time. Ponies were rushing about, back and forth in the hallways, in and out doors. Starlight hadn’t thought the day-long mission would be such a big deal, but it was clear now it was a bigger thing than Discord had made it out to be. Twilight was standing in the middle of it all, giving instructions.

“She’s working hard,” Starlight commented. She’d felt uncomfortable standing in the crowd of ponies, most of which probably didn’t trust her. “I don’t understand how she’s able to keep track of it all.”

“Well, somepony has to,” Rarity responded as two of her assistants provided extra clothing and armor for the soldiers getting ready for their mission. “I think this is the first time in a while I’ve seen her so determined. Poor thing lost her spark once everything went down six years ago.”

Starlight remembered. Twilight, even though she’d kept pretending like she believed Equestria would be saved, had lost all faith that it would actually happen. Starlight knew that Twilight had sold herself short in the past and succeeded when it looked like it’d be impossible, but this time she wasn’t the only one who’d lost hope. Over time, they all had. This spell was a fragment of hope for everypony, one they’d been too scared to hope for previously.

“Alright, I think they’re almost ready to leave.” Twilight had made her way over to Starlight and Rarity. Her mane was messy, a sign that she’d either been working a lot or losing sleep. Either way, she looked surprisingly happy. “I don’t really want to say this too early, but it looks like we have a decent chance to find her!” Suddenly, Twilight’s smile disappeared. She shook her head, and quietly left for the library. Rarity and Starlight shared a concerned look.

“I should follow her. You’ve got things to do.” Starlight gave Rarity a small smile before quickly hurrying after the princess. She wasn’t hard to find, she was in her favorite spot in the library. The princess was sitting by a large window in a reserved corner of the big room. You could only see through the windows from the inside, letting the pony in the library observe the Everfree and the door which was just below the library.

“Hey princess,” Starlight whispered gently, somehow still startling Twilight in the process. “I know this is probably hard for you, but you know you can talk to us if something is up, right? I mean, I know you have Discord, but maybe it’s nice to talk to someone else too?”

“I’m sorry, Starlight.” Twilight forced a small smile, and beckoned Starlight closer, gesturing for her to sit down. “It is a little hard. I don’t feel like it’s appropriate for the ruler of Equestria to talk about their issues like this.”

“Twilight, you’re allowed to talk to us about things like this. Celestia talked about her emotions, even with me at some point!” Starlight took a deep breath before continuing in a calmer manner. “I just want you to know that you can talk about complicated feelings with us, even if you are a princess.”

“I appreciate it Starlight, but you really have to stop calling me princess.”

“I didn’t even call you princess this time! I just mentioned that you’re a princess. Since you are.”

“I know. I just don’t like it.”

“Alright, fine. I’ll try not to call you that anymore.” Starlight sighed. “I don’t get it, but I’ll respect your wishes. Now, would you please talk to me about whatever you’re dealing with?”

“Alright, I can try to explain.” Twilight brushed her mane out of her face, pulling it back into a ponytail. “I’ve been trying to keep quiet about my hopes in public. I really hope Fluttershy is still alive, out there somewhere. Hell, I feel like she could be. She was too strong to let the Everfree be the end of her. I just don’t want anypony to have too much faith. If it turns out she’s really dead, everypony will be devastated.”

“Well yeah, that makes sense.” Starlight took a small break, taking in what she’d just been told. “But isn’t it better to have hope than to give up before you’ve even tried?”

“Maybe you’re right.” Twilight smiled now, a genuine smile. “I guess it’s just that now that we have even more to lose, it’s even scarier to hope. If Fluttershy is gone, the spell would be useless. For the first time in six years we have a chance to save Equestria. I just hope it isn’t ruined by something out of my control.”

“I understand that.” Starlight internally slapped herself for not finding a more creative response. Nervously, she tried thinking of something to say to make it better.

“I appreciate you trying to cheer me up Starlight, but you should probably go back now.” Starlight panicked, thinking she’d said something wrong, but Twilight smiled at her. “You didn’t do anything wrong, I just need some time alone. A break from the crowd out there.” Starlight nodded, letting out a silent sigh of relief. Twilight turned back to the window and Starlight took it as her sign to leave. Not breaking the silence, Starlight left the library.

Out in the hallway it seemed like the crowds of ponies running back and forth were leaving the areas, done with their jobs most likely. Starlight could hear voices coming from a room close to the library. She guessed it was the cafeteria and hurried towards it. Right now, she wanted anything but to be alone.

In the cafeteria, a small group was gathered. Commander Rainbow Dash, General Golden Flare, Sergeant Firesky Frost, Corporal Applejack and Rarity were gathered at a small table. Otherwise the cafeteria was empty. Applejack caught sight of Starlight, her expression seeming softer than before.

“Come over here, Starlight,” she said, placing her hoof on one of the empty chairs at the table. Starlight trotted to the table and sat down, joining in on the conversation.

“I’m not saying that I’m planning to die or anything.” Rainbow Dash was drinking a cup of what looked like watered-down cider. Which wasn’t surprising. A pony couldn’t get drunk before being sent on an important mission. “I’m just saying that we don’t know what could happen. If I somehow were to die, in this hypothetical scenario, you’d all move up ranks. That’s what I’m saying, AJ, you’d have to find yourself a Private with potential as a Corporal.”

“Geez, Dash. If I’d have known you were going to be talking about sad subjects like this, I wouldn’t have joined ya!” Applejack exclaimed, but she was smiling. “Besides, I already know a promisin’ recruit who’ll take my place if I’m promoted.”

“Oh yeah?” Golden Flare seemed thoughtful as he met Applejack’s eyes. “Who were you thinking of?”

“Scootaloo, actually.” Rainbow Dash’s smile twitched.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” she muttered, seemingly already knowing the answer.

“Yes Dash, I do.” Applejack sighed, taking a drink of her coffee before continuing. “I know you and I don’t see eye to eye on this, and I know it’s because you want to protect her, but she’s a talented soldier and chose this path herself.” Rainbow didn’t respond. Forming her mouth into a small frown, she slowly nodded.

“Well, in any case, we’ll all keep track of things here while you’re gone,” Rarity said, swiftly changing the subject. Pinkie Pie came out from the kitchen, dropping a tray of sandwiches on the table before sitting down beside Starlight.

“Thanks guys. I’m glad to know that Canterlot is in good hooves.” The Commander looked at each of the ponies at the table in turn.

“I’m coming with you.” Sergeant Firesky didn’t usually smile, but his serious expression was more intimidating now than it usually was.

“Are you sure?” Dash responded. “I’m sure everypony would be grateful if you stayed here. “What, with Golden Flare out of commission and all.” She gestured to the unicorn, who’s hooves were mostly covered in bandages. Firesky’s eyes moved over to Golden, who shrugged.

“I’m fine,” he said, still smiling. “Firesky is a strong fighter, you know he’s better out on the field than hanging around here. Besides, I don’t think I’ll need my hooves to shout commands here.”

“Alright, if you’re sure,” Rainbow said. “Just make sure you’ve got everything you need by noon.” Firesky nodded to this, but didn’t leave. It was a while until noon, after all.

“You know what? I think I’ll catch some sleep.” Starlight stood up, pushing her chair back towards the table. “Good luck, both of you. I’ll hopefully see you again tomorrow.” The two soldiers nodded, and with that, Starlight left the room.

Talking to Twilight and the other ponies had made her feel so much more trusted than ever before! Maybe, once this war was over, she’d be used to this feeling. Maybe it was finally her time to shine.

Author's Note:

The next chapter is a special one, as it'll be multiple ponies's POVs. It'll also contain some relationship exploration.

I also have some news regarding the length of the story. Originally, it was supposed to be around 10 chapters long excluding the prologue and the epilogue. I will add another chapter, because the aftermath I planned for the epilogue is a bit long, and I think it'd fit better as its own chapter. The full story is now planned to be prologue + 11 chapters + epilogue.

Hope to see you all next Friday!