• Published 27th Nov 2021
  • 592 Views, 8 Comments

Frozen Heart - Reviewfilly



After a team of pegasi return cursed with frost that cannot be thawed, Sunny and her friends must confront a far older threat that looms in the frozen North.

  • ...
5
 8
 592

A Frozen Heart...

A headache. That was the first thing Sunny felt after waking up. Then cold. Cold above her and even more freezing cold below. This must be one of Sprout and Hitch’s usual pranks, she thought. Back when they were little, it wasn’t unusual for the duo to have a bit of mischief with her. They probably just threw a water balloon into her bed, while she was sleeping. But even those aren’t supposed to be this cold. Nor are they supposed to cause massive headaches. Realizing something was really wrong, Sunny ignored the protests of her throbbing head and forced herself to open her eyes.

Her vision cleared slowly. The first thing she realized was that she was inside a massive chamber made out of crystals. Its dim illumination came only from a few torches that burned with an ethereal green light, which refracted from the walls to illuminate the entirety of the room. The memories immediately rushed back to her. Her friends are missing. She got lost inside a frozen world. She was attacked. Now she was likely inside the spire. As she clambered to her feet and looked up, she realized she wasn't alone. In front of her, in the other end of the chamber, a shadowy figure stood, peering down at her.

Her eyes now fully adjusted to the darkness, Sunny warily measured up her captor. It seemed equine, just like she was, however, its entire body was covered in black armor and its head was hidden behind an intricate helmet. The helmet’s face resembled a horse’s skull. Three horns jutted out from its temple, in a shape that resembled a grotesque crown. The only opening in the helmet were two eye-holes, through which Sunny could see two eyes that burned with intense dark-blue flames. Without as much as uttering a word, the nightmare-creature took a step towards her. Sunny reflexively tried to step backwards, but her hooves remained firmly planted. To her horror, she realized that during the time she spent gawking at the being, her hooves froze to floor.

“Who- who are you?” she asked with a quivering voice.

“Silence,” rang out the armor in an unnaturally hollow voice, “you too have trespassed into my domain.”

“I’m sorry! I was just trying to find out what happened here. Wait... Me too?

Despite the extreme cold, a drop of sweat rolled down from Sunny's temple. The armor didn't reply, just pointed behind her in a sweeping motion. Sunny turned extremely slowly and looked behind herself. The sight she beheld was too much. Her vision went dark and she almost fainted. Four pony-sized mounds of ice stood behind her. She could see the dark outlines of two pegasi, an earth pony and a unicorn. Her friends stood behind her. Frozen solid in ice. Sunny's head was spinning and she desperately fought against her tears. The armor spoke again.

“This is the punishment of all intruders. What power grants you the right to step into this realm?”

Sunny knew that if she had no compelling argument, she would be joining her friends. She glanced back once more. Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing, she thought, her mind clouded by the empty calmness of defeat. She could not help them. She could not even help the pegasi at home. What right she had to live? She accepted her fate and closed her eyes.

No.

She chased these thoughts of despair away and opened her eyes once more. This wasn't her time yet. Her friends would never forgive her for throwing away her life. They would want her to live. They would want her to return safe. She could not trample their memory by dying here.

Collecting all her bravery, Sunny replied:

“I am Sunny Starscout, daughter of Argyle Starscout. I am the unifier of the three pony tribes and representative of the newly-founded Equestrian Union.”

The armor, which until now continued its slow, almost mechanical march towards her, lurched to a halt. To Sunny’s horror, its eyes flared up even brighter as it glared her down.

“There are only two ponies who may call themselves a ‘unifier.’ You, intruder, are nothing more than a cheap liar.”

The being then held out a hoof towards the ceiling and a small cloud of thunder formed. A billowing, horse-like mass emerged from it, with malicious white eyes and a crooked frown. While Sunny was already terrified of the armor, this creature struck an even deeper, almost primal fear into her heart. The feeling only intensified when her mind made the connection and she realized what she’s looking at.

She was staring at creature of legends.

She was staring at her death.

Yet, rather than pleading for her life or screaming in agony, Sunny instead took a deep breath and pushed her tears aside. She glanced back at her friends once more. Even in her predicament, she couldn’t help but smile as she walked through her journey with them in her mind.

Her escape with Izzy. How Zipp confirmed her beliefs. How Pipp decided to trust them, despite her ruined show. How even her oldest friend finally came around and saw the truth. How they never gave up hope in her, even when she herself has.

As her heart and soul was filled with these kind memories and the thoughts of her friends, she felt like the ice was a bit less cold and the chamber a bit less dark. Even the vicious creature stopped its advance and looked at her with a confused and scornful look. Sunny didn't care. She leaned deeply into her father's scarf and remembered the time she spent with him. All those late-night stories of ponies being friends. How he never gave up hope, up until his disappearance. And how his actions eventually allowed his daughter to come this far.

While these images flashed in front of her eyes, Sunny's rapidly beating heart slowly calmed down and she began to glow a little. A pair of translucent wings and horn materialized on her. She ignited her horn and Ice shattered behind her. Sunny looked back. Her friends were all lying on the floor, unconscious, but - thank the Stars - still breathing. With newfound bravery, Sunny turned her head back and stared right into the eyes of the armor.

“I am no liar and I know you well!” she shouted, “You are the Lord of Chaos, the snake called Discord! And this... this is a Windigo! A creature born of pure hatred.”

Hearing its name, the mist-demon snapped out of its stupor and lashed at Sunny.