• Published 22nd Oct 2021
  • 466 Views, 36 Comments

A Pony's Guide to Gunpla - Mystic Sunrise



A new world awaits Pearl as she discovers the joys of model kit building.

  • ...
24
 36
 466

Prologue

Pearl groaned as she closed the book in front of her with a thump as her head hit the table. “I still don’t know what Princess Twilight wants me to learn. This is all for unicorns. Do I look like a unicorn to you?”

Spike rolled his eyes as he walked by, a stack books in his hands. “Come on, Pearl. It can’t be that bad. Can it?”

Pearl shot him an annoyed look. “Spike. I don’t understand half of this. I can’t even pronounce some of these words. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to get out of this.”

Spike’s frills dropped, for he could hear the despair in her voice. “Pearl. You know Twilight wouldn’t give this to you if she didn’t think it was important.”

Pearl’s ears fell. “I know, and I’m glad she’s teaching me. Beats out the School by a long shot and having to put up with Thunder and his cronies all of the time.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “He totally had that coming. Just too bad you didn’t hit him any lower. How did get almost away with rape again?"

Pearl giggled. “I don't know, and I know. I just couldn’t reach that low. Damn it all if I didn’t try.” She shook her head as she looked around. “I’d almost go round two with him at this rate. There has to be something in here that I can read that makes sense.”

Spike looked around the Main Library. It held most of the castle’s books, some of which could only be reached by those with magic or if they had wings. His eyes soon fell on one shelf in particular.

Pearl followed his gaze. A heat haze shimmered in front of one row in particular. “What is Princess Twilight keeping in there anyway? Nothing dangerous I hope.”

Spike shook his head. “Na. It’s just some books she doesn’t want anypony else looking at. At least not yet. I don’t know why. I like them.”

Pearl gave him a confused look. “Then why hide them? She’s basically the God Empress of Reading and trying to get other ponies to read. Why hide them like this?”

Spike bit his lips. They shouldn’t even be talking about this if he was being honest. But he could see the look of desperation and despair in Pearl’s eyes, and it made his heart drop.

It had only been a month or so since Pearl had become the Personal Student to Princess Twilight Sparkle, and Ponyville was still abuzz with the news. The School of Friendship even more so.

But despite her best efforts, Twilight was almost at her wit's end. Pearl was an attentive student and soaked up everything the alicorn said. But most of Twilight’s books were made with unicorns in mind, not Pegasi.

Twilight would never, ever, say or think that this had been a mistake, and had taken Trixie to task for even suggesting it. But the princess was rapidly running out of ideas.

Spike shook his head as he flew over to the shelf and reached inside. “Twilight is going to kill me for this. But I think I know something you might like, Pearl. Better than a dusty magic book that’s for sure. I know you like reading new things. This might be right up your alley.”

Pearl blinked as the book was set before her. It was small enough she could hold it in one hoof. The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, by Robert E. Howard, rang the title, the cover showing what appeared to be a male ape of some kind saving a female of the same species from some horror.

Pearl frowned. She could almost say the three figures were minotaurs, but they most definitely were not, or even close to the bull folk. “I know what Sword and Sorcery are. But what the hay is this?”

Spike chuckled. “Only the adventures of the greatest hero of the genre of all time! In this world or any other world. And this is just volume one. There’s still two more on the shelf if you’re interested.”

Pearl scratched her chin. She would be lying if she said she didn’t like the genre. It was far better than Daring Do, that was for sure. No matter what Rainbow Dash said. And she had been looking for something new to read. Other than magical texts. “Where did this come from? I’ve never heard of any of this?”

Spike wrung his hands. “It’s not my place to say. I do know where it came from. But Twilight can tell you more when she gets back. If she doesn’t throw us both in the dungeons anyway.”

Pearl rolled her eyes. Her teacher didn’t seem the dungeon type. She hoped. If nothing else, she would at least have read something new beforehoof.

Spike saw she was at least interested, and smiled. “And don’t worry about the pages. Twilight has a charm on them that when you go to turn them with your hoof, they’ll do it themselves. Just in case she ever shared these with Rainbow Dash. Beats using her mouth.”

Pearl giggled as she settled herself down, and began to read.


Sometime later, Pearl finally put the book down, having just finished Iron Shadows on the Moon. She wasn’t entirely sure of all of what she had just read. But she knew one thing. She was interested in what would happen next.

She shook her head as she looked up at Spike, who only smirked. “Sorry to say, Spike. But this blows your O&O stuff out of the water, and then some. And that’s not even the entire book!”

Spike chuckled. “Yeah. I had the same reaction when I first read it too. Yeah, the stories jumping all over the place with Conan’s life were a bit annoying at first. But you eventually get used to it.”

Pearl rolled her eyes. She would have to take Spike’s word for it. Personally, she didn’t see why the stories jumped around his life as they did. From King of Aquilonia in The Phoenix on the Sword to a mercenary captain in Khoraja in Black Colossus, to a pirate captain of the Red Brotherhood on the Vilayat Sea in Iron Shadows on the Moon, and many things in between.

She was still lost on something though. “Where is all of this even from? This isn’t from Equestria. Conan isn’t even a pony. None of the main characters are. I don’t even know what they are.”

Spike opened his mouth to respond, but before he did, another voice responded in an annoyed tone instead. “They’re human, Pearl. Something that doesn’t exist in Equestria or on Equus.”

Pearl’s ears dropped, as Spike winced. Turning around, Pearl came face to face with an unamused Princess Twilight Sparkle, though the corners of her mouth were twitching upwards.

Pearl smiled sheepishly. “Eh-eh. Hi, Princess.”

Twilight sighed as she slipped a bookmark on Pearl’s ending page. “Spike. What did I say about showing this to anyone?”

Spike was unapologetic as he rolled his eyes. “Come on, Twilight. You know how much trouble she’s having with what you’re giving her.”

Twilight looked back at Pearl in sympathy. “Is this true? I know you’re having trouble, Pearl. But I know you’re trying to understand this.”

Pearl sighed. No use putting it off now. “You want the truth, princess? I barely understand half of what’s in those books you have me read. I can’t even say some of the words in them. I’m just about ready to give up altogether.”

Twilight’s ears fell, as Pearl slumped in defeat. She quickly put a wing around her young student, who was more than happy to lean into it. “Pearl, I’m not mad. I just wish you had told me sooner.”

Pearl rolled her eyes. “And do what? Disappoint you? You’ve given me something that I never expected. I don’t want to throw it all away. But dammit all, I just can’t do this anymore.”

Twilight nodded, running a hoof along her back. “Then we will try something else. Yes. I am a little mad that you were reading something before I wanted you to. There’s a reason that shelf is magically sealed off except for me or Spike.”

Pearl looked over at it. “What’s so bad about it? Yeah, I don’t get a lot of it. But it's a fantasy. Most ponies probably wouldn’t read it anyway.”

Twilight nodded, smiling. “There is a reason for it. It’s not the genre, or that most ponies probably wouldn’t read it even if they knew of it. It’s where those books came from that Equestria isn’t ready for.”

Pearl scratched her head. “What the hay is that supposed to mean?”

Twilight giggled as she stood and beckoned her younger companions to follow. “Follow me, Pearl. I want to show you something.”


Pearl wasn’t sure what she had expected when they had moved to the Side Library. The only difference between this room and the other was a mirror that stood in one corner.

Nothing about it stood out as interesting, except all of the various contraptions set up around it and connected to it. So she was rightfully confused when her teacher started messing around with various things. “It’s a mirror, with who knows what attached to it. What’s the big deal?”

Spike chuckled. “Oh. It’s not just any mirror, Pearl. Twilight wouldn’t make such a fuss about it if it was.”

Twilight nodded. “I wanted to show this to you eventually, Pearl. But I wasn’t ready at this moment, so forgive me if this takes a minute.”

Pearl still wasn’t buying it. “Like I just said. What’s so special about this thing?”

Instead of responding, Twilight picked up a ratty old journal from a nearby table. On the front cover was a sun symbol split into a ying-yang formation. “This. Just watch.”

Without further explanation, Twilight slotted the journal into the slot above the mirror. Immediately, magic began to flow from it and into the mirror. After a moment, it began to ripple like water.

Pearl walked over and placed her hoof on it. But instead of meeting something solid, it passed right through it easily. “What the hay?” That was all she could think.

Twilight giggled. “I had the same response the first time I saw this. This is no ordinary mirror, Pearl. It is a gateway to another world. That book you were reading? It comes from that world. Everything on that shelf does.”

Pearl waited for the punchline, but none ever came. She’d heard of stuff like this but had never bought into it herself. “So why hide it then? It’s just a book. Doesn’t seem that bad.”

Spike snorted. “That’s what I said. But nopony ever listens to me, so why do I bother?”

Twilight shot him a glare. “Because there are things in that world that Equestria is not ready for. And far too much can go wrong if news of this gets out. I have Rainbow Dash on permanent probation because she’s tried to go through here so many times. All of my friends have.”

Pearl smirked. That did sound like something Rainbow would do. “It can’t be all that bad. Can it? Doubt you’d keep this thing if it was.”

Twilight nodded. “That is true, and there is so much we can learn from Earth. I’ve been trying with some success to replicate some of their technology here.”

Pearl looked around. She didn’t see anything that stood out as totally different. “I don’t see anything.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “That’s cause Twilight has it all locked up in her Lab downstairs. Only she or Starlight get to go in there. No matter how hard Rainbow tries. She even got Applejack to help once. No luck.”

Twilight nodded. “I pride myself on my locks. Not even Celestia and Luna can get in there unless I let them in.”

Pearl rolled her eyes. Paranoid was an understatement, as she removed her hoof from the portal. “So when do I get to visit?”

Twilight blinked, while Spike looked smug. “What do you mean?”

Pearl giggled. “Do you really expect me to not want to visit whatever’s on the other side of this thing? I loved those stories too much to leave this alone. There has to be more out there.”

Twilight groaned. She had been afraid of that. “I can’t just let you go to the Human world, Pearl. It’s just too dangerous to let you go alone.”

Pearl smiled. “Then I’ll take Spike. Sounds like he’s been there before.”

He nodded, though he wasn’t keen on going back anytime soon.

Twilight massaged her temples with a wing. Her student was being particularly stubborn today. While it was an endearing quality, sometimes it drove the alicorn up a wall. “No, Pearl. I will not allow this.”

Pearl’s wings drooped, as did her ears. The sight made Twilight’s heart drop. Darn it, had she been this adorable when she had been Celestia’s student?

She sighed, unable to take the sight for very long. Darn this good heart of hers. “At least until I talk to your parents about this. I will not take you anywhere until they too know all about this.”

Pearl grinned widely. Yes! Now she just had to work her magic on her parents. It shouldn’t be too hard.


“... And that is where we are at the moment,” Princess Twilight finished, taking a sip of tea as she leaned back in her chair.

Cirrus Storm didn’t reply for several moments, unable to believe what she had just been told. If it had been anypony else, she would have called them a liar. Now, however, she was stunned.

Off to the side, Pearl was all but bouncing in her seat with excitement. Cirrus couldn’t help but smile at that at least. Her daughter needed a pick me up after the last few weeks.

Finally, after waiting to see if any more would be added, Cirrus sighed. “If this came from anyone else, princess, I would call them a liar. As it is, I find all of this hard to believe.”

Twilight nodded. “I understand the feeling, miss Storm. There is a reason few know about the World Mirror. I want to keep it that way as well.”

Pearl rolled her eyes. Wimps. Think of all that could be over in that world that could be used in Equestria? Her mind was spinning with ideas.

Cirrus could understand the reasoning behind that. “And you want to take my daughter to this other world? Let her go by herself?”

Twilight shook her head. “No. Not unless you give your consent. I have no right to do that to Pearl. And as for her going by herself?”

She sighed, pausing for a moment, earning a worried look from the duo across from her. “I have friends in that world. Friends that I trust with my life. I know they would take care of your daughter if she went alone.”

“I’m right here, you know?” Pearl grumbled. “It can’t be that bad. Can it?”

“Pearl Rose,” her mother admonished.

Pearl shrugged. “What, mom? I can’t help it. All the stories I’ve read always have these other worlds be fine. Different but fine. How bad could this one be?”

Twilight chuckled. “It is very different for sure. It is hard to explain unless I show you. But as I said. I will not do anything if you say so. It’s not my place.”

Cirrus could hear the sincerity in the princess’s words, but she was still conflicted. She knew of Pearl’s struggles with Princess Twilight’s lessons, how close her daughter was to a blow-up.

The punching bag in her room seemed to be doing some good. Why Pearl had insisted on a fox-shaped punching bag was beyond her. Not even Pearl knew for sure. But it seemed to be working.

A part of Pearl swore that it was for a friend of hers that couldn’t be there to be her punching bag for real if she ever felt the need. But that was stupid. She didn’t have a friend like that. Let alone a fox that would. She didn’t know any.

Pearl had vowed that Fluttershy would never learn about this. The animal lover would never forgive her for it, and she liked the Pegasus too much to let that happen.

Cirrus could see the hopeful look in Pearl’s eyes and fought to keep her composure. Her daughter knew how to use her cuteness to her advantage when she had a mind to.

Right now, she wished her husband was home. But he had left for the weekend and wouldn’t be back till Monday. So now she was forced to deal with this alone.

Twilight could see the conflict in Cirrus’ eyes. A part of her hoped the Pegasus would say no. She still felt that it was still too early. And she knew Pearl would not disobey her mother.

Finally, Cirrus sighed. “I cannot say for sure, Princess Twilight. I would see this… thing for myself before I said anymore.”

Twilight nodded. “That can be arranged. It’s not too much work.”

This gave Pearl a new boost of confidence. But a part of her felt that the final answer would be no. No matter how much she hoped otherwise.


As the World Mirror hummed to life, Pearl had to keep herself from running through right then and there. But a hoof on her shoulders held her in place.

Her mother didn’t seem to be convinced. “And how do I know this thing has done anything? This could be nothing but smoke and mirrors.”

Twilight bit back a retort. She got enough of that from Trixie as it was. She knew that Cirrus meant nothing by it, but the comment still stung. “Place your hoof on the surface, and you’ll see that this is very real. I assure you that it is perfectly safe like this.”

Cirrus frowned but did as the princess suggested. To her shock, instead of a solid surface, the mirror rippled like water and her hoof passed through it. It was a strange feeling, to say the least. “But how do I know that this leads to another world as you say?”

Twilight nodded, as she pulled out an old journal from a nearby shelf. She had expected this. “There is a way to show you this, Cirrus. But you will have to trust me on this.”

Cirrus and Pearl shared a confused look as Twilight quickly wrote something in the journal. Whatever it was, the letters seemed to glow for a moment before fading.

“What was that?” Pearl asked, as Twilight finished and seemed to be waiting for something.

Twilight smiled. “That is a message to my friends at Canterlot High. Unless I have totally forgotten their schedule, they should have free time about now.”

“Your friends at where?” Cirrus asked, scratching her head. “This seems like overkill to talk to your friends in Canterlot, princess.”

Twilight giggled. “Not that Canterlot, Cirrus. But hopefully, we will see in a few moments.”

That was all she would say on the matter, and so the three of them could only wait, though only Twilight knew what they were waiting for.

Finally, however, the journal began to buzz and vibrate wildly, startling the two Pegasi, and earning a giggle from the alicorn as she picked it up and turned to a seemingly random page.

“Okay. Sunset says that we are clear to come over any time now,” Twilight said happily as she finished reading and trotted over to the mirror. “If the two of you truly want to see what is on the other side of this mirror, then follow me. Give me a few minutes before you do, though.”

“Why?” Pearl asked, barely able to keep her excitement in check.

Twilight’s smile grew. “So we can catch you when you come out the other side. The first step is a doozy. Especially your first time. Trust me.”

Before they could ask what she meant, Princess Twilight stepped through the mirror and vanished.

For a few moments, neither Pearl nor her mother said anything. “Do you think she’s pulling our legs?” Pearl asked.

Cirrus shook her head. “I don’t know, honey. None of this makes much sense to me. But I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t curious.”

Pearl nodded. “So. Age before beauty, right?”

Cirrus chuckled as she pushed her daughter forward. “Just for that dear, I’m keeping you close. I don’t want to lose you to who knows what might lay beyond this thing.”

Before Pearl could retort, her mother pushed her headlong into the portal, earning a startled squawk from the youngster, before Cirrus herself followed a second later.


“Are you sure that this is a good idea, princess?” Sunset Shimmer asked as she and the twin Twilights waited outside the Wondercolt statue.

Twilight pinched her nose. “I’m not sure. But Pearl is being insistent, and I can only hold her off for so long. It’s better to do it like this than risk she does something stupid to get here.”

“Would she?” Sci Twi asked, looking at the statue with renewed concern. “I know a girl with the same name. Her family lives down the street from mine. She never seemed like the type. Not unless her odd cosplay friend had goaded her into it.”

Twilight smiled. That did sound like Pearl. “If she puts her mind to it? Yes. It drives her parents nuts as well. It’s better this way I feel, and her mother deserves to know just as much.”

She paused a moment before her brows scrunched. “Where is everyone anyway? Isn’t this Lunch period?”

Sci Twi nodded. “Rainbow and Fluttershy rushed off to Hobby Lobby a little while ago. They didn’t say why. They’ve been doing that a lot recently.”

Sunset nodded. “I think I heard Fluttershy say something about a new model kit. I didn’t even know she was into that kind of thing.”

Twilight blinked. She knew what those were. Spike had a rather big collection of them for his O&O Boys Night, even if she didn’t understand them herself. “Of what though?”

Sunset and Sci Twi only shrugged helplessly. Before they could say anymore though, two figures came tumbling out of the portal, Twilight and Sunset rushing to catch them before they fell over and hurt themselves.

One was an older woman who looked to be in her mid-thirties, while the younger couldn’t have been much younger than the Canterlot Movie Club. Sci Twi immediately recognized her fiery red hair as the youngster she had often seen playing in the street down from her home.

Pearl groaned as Twilight helped her to her feet. “Did somepony get the number of the chariot who ran me over? I’m going to pound them.”

Twilight and Sunset shared a knowing look. “I told you to watch that first step, Pearl,” Twilight admonished.

The young girl tried to shake the cobwebs from her head, but it was easier said than done. “If I don’t get ice cream after this, princess. I’m complaining to somepony.”

Sunset and Sci Twi giggled while Cirrus groaned as she too shook her head. “Did it work, Princess Twilight? I feel strange.”

Twilight nodded. “Open your eyes, you two. We made it.”

Slowly, Cirrus did as they were told. Looking down, their eyes widened in shock and horror at what had happened to them. It was Pearl who put it into words though.

“What the hell happened to me?! Why do I look like a hairless ape?!” She looked up, and her jaw dropped as she saw Sci Twi. “And why the buck am I seeing double?!”

Twilight groaned, rubbing her head. “Was I this bad during the Fall Formal?”

Sunset nodded, smirking. “Eeyup. I think you were even worse though. At least these two have someone here to explain it all and there’s no time limit..”

That was a small victory at least, Twilight thought with a sigh. “Can the two of you look after them for a little bit? I need to talk to Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna about this.”

Before anyone could say anything, the princess stormed off, grumbling all of the way about something under her breath.

Sunset watched her go with wide eyes. “Did. Did she just pull princess rank on us?”

Sci Twi sighed. “I think she did. I wonder if I could ever do the same?”

Sunset rolled her eyes, as Cirrus cleared her throat. “Young fillies. Will one of you please explain just what is going on around here? My daughter and I deserve an explanation.”

Sunset and Sci Twi shared a look. The lady would not take no for an answer it seemed, and so Twilight sighed. “The two of you might want to sit down for this, miss…?”

“Cirrus Storm. And this is my daughter, Pearl Rose,” Cirrus replied, while Pearl seemed to be curious at least.

Sunset nodded. “Well then, miss Storm, Pearl. It’s a very long and complicated story.”

Author's Note:

Time for a bit of fun. I see a very serious lack of Gunpla related stories on this site. The Build Fighters universe doesn't really fit what Gunpla to me is. And that seems to be the only thing people use in their stories.

Conan of Cimmeria, by Robert E. Howard, is mostly being used as the springboard to get Pearl to Equestria Girls. But she is a fan of the stories. Even in future stories, she still has a lot of Howard's works on her bookshelves. Even some of Marvel's take on the character.

And there is a reason I chose the High Grade Universal Century AMS-123X-X Moon Gundam as the cover art. But that will have to wait for a few chapters down the line.

I'm using Hobby Lobby instead of Target because the former usually has a bigger Gunpla selection among their model kit section. Plus they're usually 40% off. And yes. Both stores now carry a limited selection of Gunpla. Target has added the Real Grade GN-001 Gundam Exia, so it's expanded a bit.