• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 1,255 Views, 30 Comments

Silhouette In The Sky - The_Dash

  • ...
3
 30
 1,255

Chapter 4: Those We Left Behind.

Silhouette In The Sky,

Chapter 4: Those We Left Behind.

Celestia allowed a soft sigh to escape her as she stared up at the night sky. How long had she waited for her sister, after discovering her chambers empty, where had she gone for that matter? The princess of the sun couldn't help but wonder, wonder if her sisters absence was because of that Pegasus. What was he to her? How did she even know a human? Celestia found herself thinking. Another, more frustrated, sigh emitted from Celestia. She tapped a fore hoof against the ground impatiently, her thoughts seemingly only bringing about more questions. Really what was she thinking!? Celestia found herself thinking. The questions that formed, soon made way for aggravation, and irritation.

"Sister, what brings you to my chamber so late?" Luna had seemingly appeared beside her sister. Though truth be told, Celestia was to rapt in thought to notice that, her sister had simply walked in through the door.

"Luna, where have you been," Celestia asked. Her voice was a mixture of surprise, and still lingering emotions from her thoughts.

"Where have I been?" Luna was taken back by the sudden questioning. "I've been out," she replied calmly.

Celestia's gaze narrowed, her eyes focused on her sister. "You were out...that's it huh? Sure you weren't out with a certain mysterious Pegasus?"

Luna returned her sisters gaze, preparing to defend herself, before sighing deeply. "Alright fine," she huffed. Luna moved past her sister to step out onto the balcony. A smile graced her lips, as the cool air of her night met with the heat of her body. "I went to check on James," she said. Her gaze feel upon the moon, as she looked to the heavens, thinking of the question she'd heard James ask Applejack.

Celestia shook her head, as she stepped out onto the balcony, taking a spot by her sister. "So are you ready to tell me about him," she asked. Even though she was frustrated by the whole situation, she knew Luna must have her reasons for bringing him to Equestria. "I mean you didn't even consult me, you just brought a human here...into our world."

“Do you ever wonder dear sister,” She spoke. Luna paused for a moment, taking a deep breathe. “Do you ever find yourself gazing at the moon, wondering if somepony out there is staring at the moon just like you are?” Luna trailed off after she spoke, wondering how foolish she must sound to her sister.

Celestia smiled, turning to gaze at the moon, a small sigh escaping her. “He must be important to you,” she said. Her voice was kind as she spoke, knowing full well the answer to her question.

Luna nodded, her eyes never straying from the silvered moon, as her sister spoke. “He is, very much so.” Her gaze finally turned from the night sky, now focusing softly on her sister. “I suppose you’d like me to start at the beginning,” she asked.

“I would indeed,” she said. Celestia nodded to her sister, a loving smile ever present on her face, as she waited for Luna to begin.

“Well it all began when James was twelve.” Luna began her story. Recalling the first time she saw James. He was alone, and so sad. She had not been long removed from her one thousand year banishment, and another late night spent alone lead her to the library. Luna had found this to be a place she would find herself often. Spending many a lonely night, lost within the pages of the books, until she had to lower the moon. “I found a very odd book the night I first met James,” She said. “The look of the old leather bound covering, the gold trimmed lettering, and the words dictionarii hominum.”

“The Dictionary Of Humans?” Celestia looked to her sister, as she spoke, eyes full of disbelief. She herself had found, and red, the very same book centuries ago. She had believed the information within it to be to dangerous, and had hidden it deep within the catalogs of the library.

“Yes.” Luna nodded, replying simply, to her sister. “I red its pages, and found out many things,” she paused. “Did you even know there’s a spell that can connect our world with the humans?”

“Luna! That’s a forbidden spell.” Celestia couldn’t believe it, but that would explain how she’d met James.

“Yes well now that you know the how, perhaps you’d like to know the why?” She could still remember it like it’d just happened. She’d used the spell she found to open a doorway, a doorway to the human world, a doorway to James.

“So you got bored, opened a connection between two worlds, and used a forbidden spell to open said connection?” Celestia was more than a bit confused. How had she missed this, how had she not felt the surge of magic Luna surely created by the spells casting alone.

“Well to put it simply, yes,” Luna answered. “I crossed into James’ world. I found myself surrounded by unknown sights, and sounds. I panicked at the sheer sensory overload, and flew off,’ she paused. “I just kept going, until I finally found myself out of breath. I sat down atop a hill near a few small homes, trying to collect my thoughts, when I saw him.” Luna paused, and turned back towards the sky. “He was just sitting there, so sad, so alone.”

Celestia could hear the sadness in Luna’s voice, she could see the tears forming in her eyes. “Are you alright,” She asked.

“Yes.” Luna sighed, closing her eyes, a smile smile at her lips. She remembered his shock at her sudden appearance outside his window. How he marveled at her, and went on and on with questions, once he worked up the courage to speak. “You know at first he didn’t know what to do or say, he just sat there like a statue, while i just stood there at his window.” She turned to her sister, a gentle smile on her face. “But you better believe once he started talking, he just wouldn’t stop.” Luna laughed, as she envisioned his face.

“So you found a friend in the boy, at a time when you thought you had none.” Celestia could understand why her sister had sought friendship in the boy. He wasn’t from Equestria, he had no idea who or even what Luna was, and he didn’t know of her past. “Sister, I wish to hear more of your time together with James, but first why did you bring him here,” She asked.

“I...I left one night, and went to see James,” she began. “He was seventeen, and we’d gotten close, I was like a big sister to him. He would always wait by the window, every night, just so he could watch for me. When I would arrive he’d tell me all about his day, what he’d done, and if anything was bothering him.” Luna sighed as she spoke, she almost couldn’t bring herself to speak the next words. “That night though, James didn’t wait...he wasn’t even in his room...so I left...I thought, he’ll be back tomorrow...but he wasn’t.” She could remember how she’d longed to see her friend, how her nights once again became empty. “I returned every night, for a week straight, only to find his room vacant. When I left the seventh night, I did not return.”

Celestia stared at her sister. Her eyes kind, and showing a slight sadness. “I’m sorry Luna. I’m sure you felt as if you’d lost your only friend.”

“I did...but my leaving had a heavier price than my own sadness.” Luna could feel a lump beginning to build in her throat, and tears pool once again. “I should have went back sooner,” she said. “I left him all alone for eight years.”

“But how?” Celestia asked suddenly, pondering her sisters words. “You haven’t even been returned from your banishment for eight years, yet you say you’ve known James for almost thirteen.”

“Time is greatly different between our worlds sister. One complete year in our world, is almost three in the humans.”

“Interesting...,” Celestia was deep in thought now. She was going through many a hypothesis as to how such an anomaly in space, and time could occur. She was quickly removed from her thoughts though, as she looked upon the face of her sister, noticing Luna’s sullen demeanor. “Are you alright,” she asked.

“I found him...,” she whispered.

“You found who,” Celestia asked.

I found James...The night I brought him here...” Luna was trying desperately to hold back her emotions, though she found it not to be an easy thing to do, as she spoke. “I hadn’t seen James for eight years, but I suddenly found myself wanting to see him...I wanted to see my friend one more time.” She shuddered at those words. One...Last...Time. She relived that moment of finding James in his bathroom, over and over again. The blood stained floor, James sitting there looking so at peace...”I found him in his bathroom...he was...he was just sitting there waiting to die.”

Celestia’s eyes widened. What is she trying to say, did he...did he try to...kill himself? She thought.

“I couldn’t just let him die, not after having left him all alone for so long...I just couldn’t let him, “ Luna sobbed. Her chest heaved, as she fought to speak through gasps of air and tears.
“I offered him a second chance, I offered him a new beginning, and stripped away the memories of his past life.” Luna sank down to the floor, her head hung low, as she cried.

Celestia moved to her sister’s side, wrapping her forelegs around her tightly in a loving embrace. “Shhh, its okay Luna...I understand.”The sisters sat there, Luna crying, Celestia simply comforting her. “Luna...That’s enough for tonight...but...perhaps I can hear more about James later,” she asked.

Luna simply nodded, freeing herself from Celestia’s embrace, slowly rising to stand once again. “I promise I’ll tell you more, just know...I had my reasons to bring James here.”

“I can see that now, but as I said, I still want to know more though.” Celestia smiled down at her sister, standing at her side as they turned, and walked in from the balcony.

Luna slowly made her way to her bed, and stretched as she laid across it. “I wish I could go see him, talk to him, smile with him just like before.”

“Why can’t you,” Celestia asked. She moved to the other side of the bed, and sat on its edge.

“I...I...I just can’t.” Luna finally said, looking rather disappointed by her own words. “There is a reason, but as I said, I will tell you about it later.” The princess of the night let out an exhausted yawn, as she felt her eyelids grow heavy.

Celestia let out a small laugh, and stood from Luna’s bed. “Sleep dear sister, I will wake you when it is time to lower the moon.”

“Thank you,” Luna whispered. She smiled as she closed her eyes, a sigh escaping her, and soon she was lost to sleep.

Celestia just stood there, looking over her sister for a moment, before taking her leave. The halls of the castle were still, and bare. No sound echoed throughout, no sound but her own hoof steps. Was his life as a human really so bad...that...he tried to kill himself? She thought, as she made her way to her own personal chambers. Celestia let out a frustrated sigh, closing the door behind her. I suppose there is more to James than I thought...at least with his history with Luna. I will let things be for now, but I will still keep an eye on him...for Luna’s sake at least. With those final thoughts, Celestia moved onto her bed to rest, allowing the sweet embrace of sleep to take hold.