• Published 3rd Oct 2021
  • 263 Views, 10 Comments

Nightmares in Ponyville - Tower of 0



Justin sends a letter to Luna for some assistance with his dreams, there mat just be more going on than it seems.

  • ...
 10
 263

The Letter

Justin let out a rather large yawn, that if the store was full, anypony would've heard from his office. His sleeping has taken a bit of a dive as of the past several weeks. Most of it was due to some terrifying visions that he calls nightmares. He can't make heads or tails of any of the experiences, but he has hope one pony can. Another yawn graces his presence, but he is diligent in getting this letter written and on it's way.

Dear, Luna

I'm sorry in advanced for taking away from your duties like this, but some terrible dreams have been keeping me awake here lately. Most of them consist of the same things; dark clouds, ruins, red, and laughter. That laugh snaps me awake in such a cold sweat. I don't know what to do, maybe you can help? Please.

Sincerely,

Justin the Human

He takes another look over his words, his penmanship is horrid, but still legible. Another decision leaves him to leave out some minor details; gravity shifting at home, things appearing and disappearing, and sometimes finding himself floating. He wasn't sure if it was real or just delusions of his sleep-deprived mind. With a smile, he rolls up the parchment and ties a ribbon around it. Justin rubs the sleep away from his eyes as he yawns yet again in the hour, a bit irritated too. Not only with how tired he is and how much yawning there is, but that this is the seventh time he has had to close his parlor early due to his brain not focusing.

The human rushes out the door and down the street, passing various ponies that he gives small waves to. He knows how to get his letter to the right pony, and that is through one dragon; Spike. Justin stumbles a little ways as he continues down the cobblestone path towards the library. His eyes were feeling heavy, heavier than they usually do. He remains determined though, and pushes onward.

Justin makes it to the door, thankfully, and raises a hand to give it a swift knock. Before his knuckles collide with the wood, it swings open to reveal a drowsy-looking Twilight Sparkle. The alicorn takes a minute to scan the human's features before breaking into something of a smile.

"Justin!" Twilight cheerfully exclaims with something of a slur. "What brings you here?"

"Spike, actually. I got something to send to Luna." Justin replies, holding up his letter. "You look tired, you sleeping well?"

Twilight lets out defeated sigh as she looks down. "No, not really. I've been having these terrible nightmares."

"I guess that makes two of us." Justin lets out a tired chuckle. "Is Spike home by chance?"

"OH, right!" Twilight shakes her head a bit to wake herself. "He's.. what is he doing?"

Justin just watches the princess loose her thoughts, trying to keep himself awake as well.

"I can't seem to recall. I can give it to him to send off when he gets back." Twilight elaborates.

"That'd be fantastic, thanks Twi." The alicorn took the piece of parchment in her magenta magic and gave the human a hug before she started to close the door.

He stuck his foot between the door ad looked at her. "Twi, how long have you been having nightmares?"


He may have been somewhat safe at home, but still wasn't fairing any better than before. His evening goes by in an unfocused blur. He remembers getting back home, eating some dinner, and now he's in his bed. Justin's eyes seem fixed on the ceiling, he doesn't want to sleep, but he knows he needs to. He peers off to his right to see Derpy, sound asleep and snuggling tight against his side with his arm around her. He gives the sleeping a mare a gentle smile before kissing her forehead and settling in for the rest of the night.

The smell of smoke filled the air as buildings were burning all around the human. It's Ponyville, and it's on fire. He can't help but look around, not another soul to be seen but his. There's a dark overcast from the clouds above and the billowing plumes of dark smoke rises to them, they're swirling but something seems unnatural about it. There's a flash of red lightning and something catches his attention out of the corner of his eye. His gaze shifts to the object, only for it to be cloaked figure, about his height. The same figure that's been in his head since all this started.

"What do you want?"

Another flash of lightning and the figure disappeared. Justin could've sworn that he saw the figure's eyes glow before they were gone. He was looking around his ruined hometown to see if the figure went somewhere. All he sees are burning buildings. Fires as far as he could see. He turns around once more only for his eyes to meet the figure, face-to-face. The figure was swift to grab Justin by his shirt and lift him off the ground.

You.

Justin shot up in his bed in a cold sweat. His chest heaved with breath as he looks around the bedroom. A wave of relief comes over him as he's back home now. He quietly and softly brushes the foreleg of the grey mare off him and turns to sit on the edge of the bed. He places his face in his palms and rubs. This was going to be another long night. He looks back to Derpy and frowns a little as his brain starts going.

"I wish she didn't have to see me like this."

There's a slight movement that catches his attention and he focuses in on the figure hiding in the darkness. Justin is quick to jump up and put up a defensive stance. Ready for a fight if need be. The figure soon shows themselves to be the very Princess of the Night, Luna. She's giving him a look, a serious one full of concern as she steps into the moonlight. Justin relaxes a bit now that it's a pony he knows.

"Long night, dear friend?" She asks in a hushed manner so as to not wake the mare.

"Yeah... you want some juice?"


Both of them are downstairs now, each with a glass of orange juice. Justin is leaning forward in his reading chair while Luna gazes at him from the couch. He takes a sip from his glass in silence. The human just finished explaining his nightmare to the princess. When his eyes shift over to her, she swirls the orange liquid while seeming to process the details. Luna then takes a drink from the glass and sets it on a coaster on the coffee table.

"You say that this is recurring?" Luna asks while rising to her hooves.

Justin just nods and drinks the last of his juice. "Starts the same and ends the same. Every single time. Since it started"

"I see." Luna nods a little, turning his attention to the fireplace. "If I could have intervened, I would not be here, dear human."

"Wait. Wat." Justin looks at her, confused now. "Isn't that, I dunno, your ability to enter dreams?"

"It is." Luna continue to keep her gaze to the mantle. "We got your letter, but when I tried to find your dream, I could not find you."

"How does that happen?"

"No idea. It seems that whoever is doing this did not want me to find you." Luna turns to the human and can see the concern growing on his face. "Or the Elements."

Justin stares blankly for the moment before silently grabbing the glasses. "More juice?"

Luna gives him a silent shake of he head and he goes into the kitchen to wash them up.

"What do you mean you couldn't find Twi and her friends?" His voice echoes from the kitchen.

Luna doesn't answer right away, her focus on display of the journal.

"Luna?"

Luna snaps out of her trances and looks behind her. "I think I mean whoever is doing this to you, is also casting this curse over your friends."

A lump formed in Justin's throat and was swiftly swallowed down. He clenched his hands into fists and steeled his nerves before coming back out of the kitchen. He sees the princess, but she has her back to him. He raised a brow as he approached her. Reaching a hand out and tapping her on the shoulder, seeming to grab her attention once more.

"Whatcha gawking at, Moon Lady?" He asks while her attention turns to him.

Luna just points a hoof at the journal. "Is it supposed to glow like that?"

The human's gaze followed to where the hoof was and noticed that her words are true. "No, it never glows."

"Would it okay with you if we try something?" Luna turns to him.

"Does it involve using a spell on it?" He asks, gazing at her.

Luna gives him a simple nod, causing him to turn away and bring a hand to his mouth. To him, this would be risky, very risky. He hasn't forgotten the last time magic was used on the book. Justin continued to muse over some of the possibilities before turning his attention back to the princess. Luna is closer now, looking at the human a deep concern.

"Sure, but be careful. The last time magic was used on that thing, it opened up a can of worms."

Luna tilted her head to the side while looking at him. "What happened?"

"Well, when Twilight tried using some sort of spell on it.. ano-"

"Dad?" A small female voice interrupted from behind.

They both turned to see a chocolate coated filly, sleepily rubbing an eye. "Sweetie, what're you doing up this late?"

"I couldn't sleep."

Justin smiles a little and walks over to the unicorn filly and kneels down to her level. "Well, how about we go get you back in bed and I'll sing you something to help you sleep again."

Fudge just looks at her father a smiles. "Please."

Justin gives her white mane a soft ruffle before scooping her up into his arms to carry her back up the stairs. Luna has a small smile on her face after witnessing the events unfold and went over to the couch to takes a seat. She has a spell for two to prepare herself for. A couple of minutes pass by and Justin silently closes the door to Fudge's room and started making his way downstairs. He spots Luna on the couch as he reaches the bottom of the stairs.

"Sorry about that."

"No need to apologize, dear Justin. You are just being a father." Luna simply dismisses.

The human makes his way over and sits next to the princess and lets out a short breath. "Worth it though."

"You were about to explain what happened?" Luna shifts a little to face him.

"Right, right. Twi used some magic on it and, well, took the both of us to a different Equestria." Justin looks back to the princess. "We should be careful, if it opens up again, I have no idea if we'll even come back."

"Do not fret, I have taken the necessary precautions for the unknown."

The human gives her a slight nod. "Alright, I trust you know what you're doing."

Luna gives the human a small smile as she rests a hoof on his shoulder. "We will be fine."

With that, Luna gets up off his couch and starts to make some other preparations. Justin watches as the princess just teleports a large pillow in to the room. Seeing it isn't quite fitting, he gets up and drags the coffee over next to the shelving to get it to fit. He then turns his attentions to Luna's pillow and helps her get it somewhat flattened out. She gives him a small smile in thanks.

"You may want to get comfortable, dear Justin." Luna says as she starts to lay on the pillow.

"What kind of spell is this, if you don't mind me asking?" Justin walks back over to the couch and begins to lay on it.

"One I have used many times to enter the dreams of others, only now targeted towards this book and us."

"So, almost like a shared dream thing?"

"One could say that." Luna smiles a little. "Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

Luna falls silent and begins to focus her magic. Her horn gets enveloped in a shining pale glow, a small beam shoots out from the tip of her horn and hits the book. The room is bathing in the glow from the spectacle and Justin is in awe as he watches this. Barely noticing the same soft glow appearing around his body as Luna put more of her focus into the spell. His eyelids start to feel heavy and the feeling continues to grow until he can't keep them open.

Author's Note:

We have lift off for this one! I do hope you enjoy this opening, and I know its a little on the shorter side, but I intend for the next chapter to be somewhat lengthy. Well, I can hope, I do want to work on this one. Anyway, toodles for now and all comments will be appreciated! Stay safe and stay hydrated!