• Published 30th Sep 2021
  • 3,230 Views, 130 Comments

Mechaniquus - DougtheLoremaster



Tossed through a portal as a last act by Twilight; Chrysalis is all that is left, the sole survivor of a fallen realm. Now she finds herself in a completely mechanized version of Equus, against an enemy with an all too familliar face; her own.

  • ...
12
 130
 3,230

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32- Image Recovery

One Day Ago…


He watched as she approached, silently cursing to himself. A pink Alicorn with that strange walk, exactly like she used to do. Thorax stiffened, seeing that twisted smirk, just like she always had. And those eyes, those envious green, glowing eyes. Her eyes. He had never seen her before, but he knew who the Alicorn was, and why she was here. He swallowed hard, the emerald green of his neck glistening with sweat. Yes, there was no doubt, she was here to hear about her.

He had promised Twilight when this time came he would reveal it all, but could he? Could he stomach reliving those memories again? He watched as the regal Alicorn calmly walked towards him, causing the other heads of the hive to turn and watch in silence. The Changelings had all stopped whatever they had been doing to just stare at her as she walked by them as if ensorcelled. Of course, Thorax thought bitterly, she was that one’s other child after all. Her scent was all over this Alicorn.

Intruder. Defend hive. No, smell that? One of ours? Thorax listened as the entire hive soon erupted with these thoughts. He, however, stayed silent as he observed her stopping to ask random Changelings if they could help her. Not part of hive? But has our scent. Should attack. No, one of ours. Over and over the confused thoughts of his hive sounded off in his head.

Changelings were known to be fiercely friendly and welcoming nowadays, that is, when outside the hive. Though kind and loving outside the hive, the Changelings were extremely territorial. While being welcomed into society a few years back, strange reports had come in that creatures of all kinds last seen near the hive had completely vanished. Within a week, a formal investigation by Twilight herself was issued. And immediately closed after an in depth interview with Thorax.

Twilight had calmly issued a royal decree stating to avoid the Changeling Hive. That the Changelings simply defended their home as would any other creature. In the end no wrongdoing had been the verdict. In her words, if one did not wish to be torn apart by the carnivorous Changelings all they had to do was avoid entering the hive. Since then, reports had dwindled down, though occasionally some still decided to test their luck, and the Changelings graciously welcomed them, with open mandibles.

“Attack?”

Beside him she sat. His daughter, Ocellus. The first born to their hive using natural means. Thorax could feel her anticipation, her desire to rip and tear, just as she was taught. She had grown up being shown the ins and outs of being a Changeling. But then again, she wasn’t a Changeling. He smiled wryly. None of them were. Not anymore. His hooves turned to claws momentarily to push off with in order to rise from his throne.

“No.”

Ocellus blinked in confusion.

“Why?”

Thorax was different from the others. He had been the first drone, and his ascension to King now allowed him to see what they could not. A special sensory of such, to determine friend and foe. He watched the Alicorn as she approached him, an aura of green fire surrounding her. Her magic, or rather decades old traces of it.

“She’s family.”

“Family?”

Ocellus stared intently at the approaching Alicorn. That pink fur, that flowing mane and silken tail. Family was not a word her father would use carelessly; of the hundreds of Changelings in the hive, Thorax had only ever called Ocellus his family. Yet this Alicorn, this Princess, this Pony was considered family?

Ocellus was lost in these thoughts as she watched her father calmly approach the Alicorn. In this hive, Changelings were not given to long, flowery speech. They would say what they meant exactly when they meant it. Their movements were deliberate, wasting no time on frivolities or ceremony. There would be no beating around the bush and Ocellus knew what her father did next, would explain it all.

Thorax stood before the Alicorn and looked her in the eyes. His voice was soft and gentle, though carried an air of familiarity.

“Welcome Flurry Heart.”

Before a single word was spoken in reply, Thorax nodded.

“Yes, I know who you are. And yes, I know why you are here.”

Flurry Heart barely had the time to open her mouth before Thorax spoke again.

“Much to discuss. Not here. Follow.”

Flurry Heart was taken aback by the sudden abrupt way Thorax had spoken to her. As jarring as it was, however, she soon noticed it wasn’t just towards her. Thorax swiftly turned towards his daughter.

“Ocellus, follow. Important. You need to hear-”

Turning toward an armored Changeling by his throne, Thorax said simply.

“Tend the hive, Pharynx. Back soon.”

Starting towards a tunnel behind the throne without waiting for a response, Thorax’s eyes flashed.

“Follow. Now, sister.”

Flurry Heart opened her mouth to respond, to ask a question, only for a single word to come out.

“Okay.”

Without her input, Flurry Heart found her hooves moving on their own. She found herself following Thorax and Ocellus down the long hallway, noticing the structure of the walls begin to change about halfway through. What was going on? Dark black rocks lined the walls, dotting them at first and as she got further completely made up the entire wall.


Entering into a surprisingly large room, Flurry Heart noticed everything within it and the room itself was constructed of the same strange black stones. There was a bed, a wardrobe, a mirror and in the center of the room, strangely enough was an odd construction. It consisted of three prongs jutting up from the floor, coming together at the tip to form a point. At the point of the strange formation, a strange lilac-colored ball of light floated.

Thorax spoke in a more eloquent manner.

“We can talk here without worrying about the hive enchantments hindering us.”

Flurry Heart opened her mouth to respond and found once more she could speak normally.

“The hive has enchantments?”

Thorax nodded sagely.

“This hive is enchanted with a curse that forces efficiency, not even her highness Princess Twilight Sparkle could remove. It forces only necessary words and movements to be allowed. Nothing extra is permitted. Words that aren’t needed cannot be uttered, and motions not required cannot be performed.”

Gesturing at the walls, Thorax continued.

“These stones were excavated from the wreckage of her throne and will block all forms of magic including the curse upon this hive. So we may have a more thorough discussion here, as there is much to say.”

Looking startled, Ocellus spoke up.

“What do you mean by her throne, Dad? Who is her?”

Pressing a button on the back wall, Thorax responded as he reached into the revealed cubby hole and pulled out a glowing lilac-colored crystal.

“Queen Chrysalis.”

“Who is Queen Chrysalis?”

Placing the crystal within the ball of the light, Thorax smiled bitterly.

“Just watch-”

A bright light illuminated the entire room, bathing everything in a blinding flash.

“You’ll soon understand everything.”

PreviousChapters Next