• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 1,013 Views, 5 Comments

Re-earning Your Cutie Mark - Ractrin



Two ponies have lost their cutie marks and have to find a way to get them back. Thankfully Twilight Sparkle can help with a special spell.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,013

A Rainbow Dream

Oz meandered the great halls of Canterlot Castle. He had been walking for hours, mostly because he was glad he could walk at all again. As he walked down a dead end hallway with stained glass windows on each end. He stopped as the moon’s colored light crossed his vision. He looked up at the painted window to see Discord on the receiving end of the Elements of Harmony. He gazed at the picture, focusing on Rainbow Dash. He frowned and waked to the end of the hall. There he stared a the closed door with a Unicorn statue on each side. He examined the door and noticed it had a hole in it large enough for a Unicorn or Alicorn horn. He sighed and sat there, his ears flopped down. “Why so glum, young Pegasus?” said Celestia as she walked up to him. He glanced over his shoulder at her to see her smiling down at him.
“I can’t sleep your highness.” he responded in a pout.
“Is it your Cutie Mark that is bothering you child?”
“No.” he looked up at the window pane with the Bearers of Harmony defeating Nightmare Moon. Celestia followed his gaze and sighed.
“You’re in love with one of them aren’t you?” she asked looking back at him. He huffed and nodded.
“Rainbow Dash…but she’s…a…”
“Fillyfooler?” Oz’s eyes shot wide when Celestia openly said the word aloud. He was surprised that she knew about Rainbow’s sexual preference.
“Yeah…how’d you…?”
“I’ve known for some time. She’s not hidden her feelings from her friends very well. They just haven’t picked up on it like I did.”
“Sooo…are you..?” she chuckled at his gesture.
“No I‘m heterosexual. I’m just not one to have a relationship like my sister and niece.” Her smile weakened. “I must rule this kingdom without any distractions.” Oz looked at her more respectively. She was so willing to forego her own personal desires to make sure her kingdom was up kept.
“I…uh…” Oz stuttered causing Celestia to pat his shoulder.
“Don’t dwell on it young one.” she turned to leave, as she did so she looked back at him. “Get some rest, Oz. You’re going to need your strength for the terrors below this castle.” Oz had been staring at the floor in thought, but her statement made him look up at her worried.
“What do you-?” she teleported away before he could finish his question causing him to let out a subtle snort. Looking around, he was content with his visit in this wing of the castle and meandered outside. As he trudged to his sleeping quarters, he glanced up at the moon over head. It was strange in appearance to him. Was there an orange hue along its edges? He could not figure out what he was looking at. He shrugged it off as his abilities to read the night sky gone with his Cutie Mark. As he meandered past Twilight and Spike’s tower, he noticed a pony pacing back and forth in front of the door. Silhouetted by the moon light, he could not see who it was. He trotted up the stairs that led to the tower home and when the moon was behind the tower he finally made out the multi-colored mane and tail of his infatuation. He stopped in his tracks when he understood he was looking at Rainbow Dash, pacing nervously back and forth in front of the door. She would occasionally stop and go to knock, but then curse and walk back into her pacing. With caution, he approached her. “Everything Okay, Rainbow Dash?” she stopped and glared at him.
“What do you want?” she barked. He lowered his ears and smiled innocently.
“I was just…wondering if you were okay.” she narrowed her eyes at him.
“Of course I’m okay! Why wouldn’t I be!?” she jumped a good meter into the air and hovered with her back to him. Her fore hooves crossed.
“Because you’re scared to talk to Twilight.” she lowered her head and looked over her shoulder at him.
“I’m not scared to talk to her…” she landed and face him fully. She then took in a deep breath and exhaled in exasperation. “…since you already know…about me…I’m actually afraid to ask Twilight…out…”
“Like…dating ‘out’?” he asked with his head cocked sideways in question.
“Yeah…” he frowned and let out an audible sigh causing her to look at him in question.
“So you really are a fillyfo-” she planted her hoof in his mouth.
“Don’t-fucking-call-me-that.” she glared past her outreached arm. She pulled her hoof from his gaping mouth and wiped his saliva off on the ground.
“I’m sorr-…Wait…what happened to you liking Apple Jack?” she looked to the sky and sighed.
“She’s married with three foals now, she never was into me like that.” Rainbow walked over to the railing that ran along the concrete porch they stood on and sat on it. Oz walked over in front of her and sat.
“You know Rainbow…I’ve always had feelings for you…” he said, once again unable to stop himself. He bit his lip and closed his eyes, expecting a harsh reciprocal.
“Yeah, but you’re…a guy.” he opened his eyes to see her looking away and fidgeting her hoof on the railing.
“Well, it is the natural way of things.” he smiled innocently. She shot him a glare, which he lowered his ears to.
“I don’t care. I love Twilight, okay. That’s all that matters to me…” she looked at him, her mane going over one eye, and the moon light glistened off her shiny coat just right . It made her look as if a thousand stars had just lit up in her fur. He really hated having wings at that moment. She looked at his erect wings and chuckled at him.
“Looks like your wings work.” she said through a smile that just made it worse for him. He groaned and did his best to force his wings down. “I’m sorry Oz, but you’re not my type.” he lowered his head and sighed…again.
“Yeah, I know. I was just hoping, that maybe you would grow out of…your preference in ponies.” he walked over next to her and hoped up onto the railing. “Well, at least I’m losing out to some mare and not another colt” he smiled weakly up at her. She just laughed at him and jabbed his shoulder. He just looked away and rubbed his now sore arm.
“You…uh…think you could help me with Twilight?” she asked nervously. He closed his eyes. Her statement jabbed him to the core, as he wished beyond all knowledge in the universe she hadn’t asked him that. At first he was just going to shout a “no” at her, but his inner rage alleviated to a softer depressed state. He looked up at the night sky, a tear rolling down the back of his cheek, as he thought back to something his father had told him years ago.
“If you love somepony enough” his father’s words echoed in his mind, “Then you’ll be happy with whomever they’re with, even if it’s not you.” he closed his eyes and breathed a deep breath.
“Yeah, Rainbow…I’ll help you.” he didn’t even try to hide the reluctance in his voice.
“Thanks!” she said leaning over and hugged him. She jumped back when his wings popped up again and gave him a subtle glair. He just smiled innocently and blushed.

Oz stood there, staring at Twilight’s door. He looked at Rainbow Dash ash she motioned with her head for him to go ahead. “Are you sure she’s awake?” he asked nervously.
“Ugh…for the hundredth time, yes.” she pointed at a light a few windows up and he looked at it. “She is always up late studying.” he let out a gulp and let his hoof tap against the door. Rainbow scoffed and shook her head. He sighed and knocked again, but much harder. A few moments passed and then the door swung open. At first the light from inside the building blinded Oz, but after a moment he saw a very tiered Spike standing there with Owlicious on his shoulder.
“What do you want?” he groaned.
“Oh uh…me and Rainbow were here to see Twilight.” Oz stammered. Rainbow poked around the door and waved nervously at the green and purple dragon. He just let out a yawn and walked away from the door.
“She’s in her study, like always. I’m sure Rainbow knows where it is.” he walked back over to a pile of scrolls he was writing on. As they trotted by Rainbow looked at the mess and raised an eyebrow in curiosity.
“What’cha doing Spike?” she asked. Oz stopped at the bottom of the spiraling stairs that spiraled up the wall into the higher floors of the tower and looked at the young dragon curiously.
“Huh?” he asked looking up with weak eyes. “Oh I’m just writing a story for Princess Celestia.”
“Don‘t you think you should put that quill down and…” he slammed his head down on the table and started snoring, interrupting her statement. “Yeah…that…” she joined Oz at the starecase and took the lead. Oz watched his step as he climbed the stairs, but one look up at Rainbow’s backside caused him to blush and look back down. She had moved her tail just right when he looked up and shown a little of herself. It was usual for ponies to see each other wholly, but he was in love with her. Any part of her that he revered as special made him “happy”. She stopped in front of Twilight’s study and went to tap on the door. She stopped, her hoof hovering mere centimeters from the barrier’s wooden surface. “Y-you knock.” she said stepping aside so that Oz could access the door. He rolled his eyes and put himself in front of the wooden entryway. He knocked three times and heard Twilight say something. He stepped aside and pushed Rainbow into the doorway just as Twilight opened the door with her magic. Rainbow had fought Oz until she noticed that the purple mare was still on the other side of the room horn deep in books.
Rainbow stepped forward into the room, nervous. She walked up to her item of affection and rubber her hoof against her other arm. “H-ey Twilight” she said in a stutter.
“Hi rainbow Dash.” she said without looking up. The cyan mare looked over to Oz and he just gave her an encouraging nod.
“I uh…wanted to ask you something…” she rubbed the back of her head nervously.
“What is it?” Twilight still didn’t look up as she partially paid attention to her admirer.
“I, uh, was wondering if you’d uhm…” she bit her lip and looked at Oz again. He smiled, amused by her shyness, and nodded to push her on again.
“Yes Rainbow?” Twilight asked, looking up from her studies with slight irritation. She looked at the floor and let out a heavy sigh. She puffed out her chest and looked Twilight in the eyes, beaming with confidence
“Twilight, would you be my special somepony?” she said. After the words escaped her lips she let the air out of her lungs, relived to have the question out in the open. Twilight was taken aback by Rainbow’s question. She frowned and looked at Oz.
“Can…you leave us?” he nodded and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. Twilight looked her friend in the eyes and let the expression of apology cross her face. Rainbow frowned at that look, knowing what was next.
“I’m not that kind of mare…you see…I’ve known you were attracted to me like that, but…” she started to pace, not willing to look her slowly crumbling friend in the eyes. “I didn’t have the heart to tell you.” as the words poured out of Twilights lips she began to shiver. She wanted the words she didn’t want to hear stop vomiting up the purple mare’s mouth. She tried to remain calm, but the last few words Twilight spoke pushed her over the edge.
“So you waited till I got the guts to ask you out!?” Rainbow snapped.
“I’m sorry…I thought you were going to wait longer…” Rainbow began to sob, she couldn’t stop the waterfalls from cascading over her cheeks. “Rainbow…I’m so-…” Rainbow Dash bolted for the door, slamming it open and almost smashing into Oz. She zipped around him and barreled down the stairs. Oz wasn’t sure to be happy that Twilight turned her down, or to be sorry for Rainbow. He turned his head into the study to see Twilight slouched over her desk. He walked up to her and looked over her shoulder. She was sobbing.
“Are you okay Twilight?” the purple mare looked up at Oz, tears slowly sliding down her cheeks.
“I didn’t mean to hurt her…” she sobbed.
“You just told her the truth.” she stood and walked over to a nearby bookshelf. She sent out a little bit of magic, it scanned each bind on each book. It finally stopped over a book that was very small, and very beaten up. The cover was torn and illegible and had a stain on one side. She pulled the book from the case and hovered it over to her. As she walked over to Oz, she flipped through the pages until she reached the one she wanted to show him. It was a small poem. He read it silently as she held it up for him.

When awake.
I ache.
When asleep.
I breath deep.

To see the one I love.
All I have to do is look above.
But how can I tell her.
She’s more than a blur?

My secret love.
Is so far above.
And so high
I wish I could fly

He then looked past the book she held up with a raised eyebrow. “So…you really are a fillyfooler too huh?” Twilight bit her lip and nodded.
“I was to afraid to admit it to even myself, but…just now…seeing Rainbow that way after I turned her down…it destroyed me too.” Oz frowned. His chances with Rainbow seemed to be dwindling every second. He lowered his head and looked away. “You love her too huh?”
“Yeah…since I was thirteen.” he mumbled.
“She’s almost twice your age…”
“I know…but…” he looked at her. “The way her mane flows through the wind, her wing beats they’re like-”
“-poetry” Twilight said looking away.
“Not what I was gonna say, but that works too.” she smiled slightly and looked at him.
“Could you go talk to her? I‘m sure she‘s in her cloud home nearby.” he let out a quick emphatic sigh and grinned.
“Sure.” he turned to walk away when she stopped him.
“Thanks, by the way…for helping both of us.” he nodded and began to gallop away. As he ran through the tower he noticed Rainbow had made no attempt at not making a mess. Though he figured with her eyes blurry, it would have not been hard to run into stuff. He walked out the door and opened his wings. As he lifted off the ground his eyes went to the orange outlined moon again. He wondered why it was like that. It was just added on to the plethora of questions that had revolved around this week. He flew north of the castle and over the mountain he saw Rainbow Dash’s home. When Twilight had moved back to Canterlot a few years ago, Rainbow had offered to move nearby so she could stay in touch easier, least that’s what she told Twilight. Oz looked at the moon again. He tried to analyze it, but he couldn’t remember anything from the days when he was studying astronomy.
“Is it really all gone?” he asked himself. “Am I really unable to read the sky’s?” he frowned as the floating house drew closer. He could see a light on in one of the rooms and figured that was where Rainbow was. He stopped next to it and peered in. his assumption was correct as he saw Rainbow face first in her cloud pillow crying. He could hear her muffled sobs clearly. Reaching to the window seal, he pulled himself through. As his hooves clopped onto the floor Rainbow looked up at him. Her eyes were blood shot and her cheeks wet. Oz also noticed that her mane was messed up. He had to fight back a smile at what he considered adorable.
“What do you want?” she asked harshly. He cautiously walked over to her bed and sat down on it, as far from her as he could from her.
“I was just checking on you.” he responded lightly and with sympathy.
“Go away…”
“Rainbow…look, I know how feel…trust me.” she looked at him with her eyebrows pressed together and then looked down at her soaked sheets. “But…maybe if you give Twilight some more time then-”
“Then what? I’ve given her five years Oz…I’ve tried to hang out with her as much as possible, but…” she turned to sit on the bed, her arms behind her supporting her weight. Oz just looked at her sullen. “…she’s never going to love me back…she’s as straight as a pencil” Oz wondered, for a moment, if Twilight would be angry at him for telling Rainbow about her true sexual orientation. He decided not to piss of the Arch-Unicorn and withheld the information. He scooted closer to her.
“I’m sure she’ll come arou-oomph!” Rainbow had dove into him, wrapping her arms around him, much to his surprise and glee. “What are you doing?”
“Just hold me dammit…”
“Uh…okay…” he put his fore-arms around her and she pulled in close to him. “I thought…”
“I just need a hug okay…and you’re the only shoulder around to cry on…” with that she began sobbing again, getting his shoulder wet. He didn’t care, he was holding her, his love. Even if she didn’t love him back, this was good enough for the time being. She then sat back and looked into his eyes. She grimaced and then grabbed his cheeks with both hooves. Without him even having time the react she pulled him in and landed her lips on his. While she still held the grimace, his eyes went from being shot open with surprise to mellowing out in acceptance of what was happening. He couldn’t believe it, he was kissing her. It was a dream come true. Yeah it was just their lips and there was no tongue, but this was the closest to her he had ever been, and hoped that it would never end. Though just as he was beginning to get used to her soft lips against his, she shoved him away and rubbed her lips, coughing.
“By Celestia, I can’t believe I just did that…” she looked at him as he still sat there, mesmerized. “At least somepony enjoyed it” Oz snapped out of his trance and looked at his wings. He just pushed them down with his hooves and smiled innocently with a blush at her. He let out a subtle cough and regained his composure.
“So…why did you do that?” Rainbow spat onto the floor and then looked at him.
“I was hoping that maybe I could pretend you were Twilight or something…it didn’t work…” she looked outside at the moon and yawned. “It’s time to get some sleep anyway. You can sleep here tonight, I don’t care.” she patted the bed as she crawled on top of it and laid down. She turned her back to him as he stared at her wings.
“Are you sure?”
“This is the only bed in my house…unless you want to sleep on the couch.”
“No no…this is fine” he exclaimed as he crawled onto the bed with her. He noticed that she didn’t climb under the sheets, but laid on top of them instead. He did the same as well. As he laid there, he watched her back. She twitched a wing to get comfortable and then yawned again. He yearned to slide up behind her and caress her, but he knew the repercussions of that action would probably be near fatal. He just watched her, until his eyes forcefully closed, drifting him to sleep. Once Rainbow heard the subtle snoring from Oz, she knew she could do what she wanted to. She rolled over and got close to him, her face a mere millimeters from his. She sighed and tried as hard as she could to see Twilight instead of him, as she drew even closer to him.

The next morning Celestia’s sun shown through Rainbow Dash’s bedroom window right onto Oz’s face. The bright light woke him and made him squint his eyes. He used his free wing to blow wind at the clouds and shut the window. Once he was no longer blinded he saw an amazing sight. Rainbow head was tucked under his chin, her neck arching over his right fore-hoof, and her fore hooves curled up between them. Her hind legs ran down between his and he noticed that the curved portion of her hips were pressing into his groin. The discomfort was easily ignored as he smiled and laid his free wing over her. Now she was completely protected in his mind.
“I will always protect you, Rainbow Dash” he thought. “I love you, even though you’ll never love me.” he sighed and this caused her to stir. She had awoken when he jumped at the sunlight, but it wasn’t until she herd the male tone in his sigh that she remembered it wasn’t who she thought it was. Her eyes shot open and she saw his blue furred chest, causing her to shoot her hooves out, launching him off his side of the bed. He landed on the ground with a thump and then quickly stumbled up to where he could see what was going on. She rolled onto her folded legs and opened her wings. She lifted off the bed and landed on the floor with a subtle harmonized clop.
“I’m sorry Oz…I-…I just can’t do this.” she turned and headed for the bathroom. Once inside, she slammed the door shut. Oz walked over and sighed.
“Rainbow…I’m sorry if I…did anything…”
“It wasn’t you Oz!” she yelled through the door. He heard strange noises coming from inside the room and placed his ear against the door. He could hear here sobbing. “I was hoping that by getting close to you, it would help me feel better about Twilight…but…you’re a Stallion…” he sighed. It tore at his heart to be reminded that she wasn’t into males.
“Look, Rainbow, I’m sure you just needed emotional support…”
“Just go away Oz!” he looked away and frowned. He walked into the living room and headed for the door. Just as he opened it, he saw Nova with his hoof up just about to knock.
“Twilight said I could find you here.” he said. Oz just sighed and looked back into the house. “Ready to go?”
“Yeah…lets go.” they both took off into the sky and headed back for Canterlot.