• Published 23rd Sep 2021
  • 2,473 Views, 53 Comments

Of Hooves and History - Ahmad J Charles



A young explorer/historian with a submarine ends up off the coast of Maretime Bay.

  • ...
4
 53
 2,473

One Last Flight

I woke up long after Sunny and Izzy did. After washing up, I took a brief look out the window and noticed a little flag atop one of the buildings, barely waving.

Perfect conditions to go fly.

“Good morning, Aiden,” Haven said warmly as I entered the dining room in my PJ’s. “Feeling alright?”

“Right as I’ll ever be,” I replied with a soft smile, though my mind was weighing down with the thought of what was to come. I tucked into a warm bowl of oatmeal and enjoyed what would be the final group meal with my pony friends. We all savored every mouthful in silence, pausing occasionally to offer a portion of the side appetizers in pure kindness to each other, and some small talk about dreams.

“The transportation team is already making their way down the mountainside,” Haven announced, as the maids arrived to clean up the table. “I will be joining them soon after briefing my cabinet, along with Pipp. Right, my sweetie?”

“Hmmm,” Pipp replied, quickly glancing at me and looking down sheepishly. “I’ll think about it.”

“I will join you,” Sunny offered, standing up straight.

“I’ll be with Aiden!” Izzy said excitedly, rushing to my side. “Though, after he lands.”

“Everypony on the same wingbeat?” Haven asked strictly.

“Yes, Your Highness!”

“Let’s get to it, then. Sunny, Izzy, I will see you at the main elevator in thirty minutes. Pipp, you have until then to make your decision. Aiden, please bring your belongings so I can add them to my chariot’s cargo hold. Zephyrina, you’ll go with Aiden for the flight and rejoin us right afterwards, alright?”

“Yes, Mom.”

I knelt down and gave Sunny and Izzy a warm hug before returning back to the guest suite to change into my flight suit (basically thicker clothing) and pack up my stuff. The atmosphere felt empty and dull, even with the gentle morning breeze wafting in through the windows and a few birds chirping away outside in the distance. Pulling out a wad of sticky notes from a drawer and a pen, I wrote a quick note:

Dear Royal Guards of Zephyr Heights Castle,

Let it be known amongst you that as of the writing of this note, the human named Aiden will have vacated the premises, left the city, and likely the world of Equestria. Thank you all for your hard work taking care of Pipp and Zipp, and for tending to the needs of Sunny, Izzy, and myself during my stay in this suite.

And feel free to ask your friend if they need a hug. It can do wonders. Just ask Sprout Cloverleaf.

Best wishes in your royal work life,

Aiden W. Dixon

I stuck it to the top of the bedside table, threw the duffel strap over my shoulder, and walked out, holding my skateboard in one hand and my backpack in the other. It took some walking up and down the halls, but I soon made it to the throne room, where Queen Haven was waiting with her entourage.

“Glad you could make it. I was about to depart in a minute,” she said with a little smirk.

“It was tough leaving that room,” I confided. “But I’m here, with my luggage. Thank you so much for letting me stay in the castle with Sunny and Izzy, and also allowing me to spend time with your daughters.”

“It is of the highest degree of my pleasure, dear Aiden,” she replied with poise. “You are welcome anytime… if ever.”

“Thanks again,” I replied, feeling humbled as I clapped a hand to my chest and lowered my head in respect. Zipp trotted over to me, and we left the room without another word, just a happy wave.

In the Fun Sanctuary, I took a quick check on the strip. The wind was exactly as Zipp predicted – calm and parallel to the castle. Phew!

I got straight to work, unfurling the wing and pre-inflating it. Then I wiggled into the seat and strapped myself in, before clipping on the harness in the proper cross-over position and taking a few steps to get my body used to the weight. Zipp stood by the fan, eagerly awaiting my command.

“Ready, Zipp?”

“Ready!”

I fired up the motor and jogged backwards, pulling the lines taught as the wing rose upwards, ensuring my A-lines were held firmly in one hand. Zipp fired up the fan and shut it off, before rushing to the side and switching it on again. The gust pushed the wing sideways, and I carefully aligned it as I simultaneously side-stepped through the entranceway. However, I pulled a little too much and the wing pressed into the entranceway frame.

“Let’s try again,” Zipp said flatly, pulling the wing back to its original position.

I inflated the wing and primed the motor. Zipp turned the fan on for ten seconds as I pulled the wing up. She shut it off and rushed to the side. This time I started pulling the wing right as Zipp switched the fan back on, allowing for a shorter artificial gust period. Zipp switched the fan back off as I quickly and carefully guided the wing through the entranceway, keeping minimal brake pull. A slight brush occurred on the leading edge, but the wing stayed upright. I was free!

“YES!” Zipp whooped.

“Left side straight and vertical, check… right side straight and vertical… check!”

I cranked the motor up, turned 90 degrees back towards the sky, and jogged forward. The wing began to pull upward, so I rubbed the brakes, shifting into the second stage of power. I let off the brakes and glided upward, before shifting back into the seat and tightening the harness straps.

Adjusting my wing further still, I boosted the power even more, climbing higher and higher, until I was at the same altitude as the clouds. Then I turned gradually, heading north, then west in a large banana-shaped curve. As I reached the apex, a dark, jagged stone sculpture further north on the western shoreline caught my eye, barely visible in between the clouds. It looked interesting, and I strained to get a closer look. But with the next passing cloud, it was gone. How fascinating. Are there ghosts in Equestria?

I cruised at a moderate speed, before later adjusting for a brief gradual descent, once I observed I was past the mountain. It took about fifteen minutes before the hilly forested slopes finally ended and grasslands spread out below me. As I paused to check my altitude, I spotted a blue-and-white streak whizzing through the clouds, performing loops and spins.

Within minutes, Zipp caught up, flying on the perimeter of a three-meter radius as I’d instructed her. I cut the engine and clapped my hands loudly.

“Hey Zipp!”

“Would you look at that! An Earth-walking creature flying in the sky with a curved piece of fabric and a spinning blade strapped to his back.”

I had to laugh. Zipp could playfully roast you really well. But it was time for action.

“See those rocks in a slight curve with the broken wooden sign?” I said, pointing down at the ground far below. Zipp nodded, turning to face me directly.

“That’s where we’re gonna land. I’m going to gain a little height and turn in a spiral, then flip mid-way and continue towards the ground. You can adjust yourself to be in sync with me, either parallel or opposite. No races here, just graceful agility. Ready?”

“As ever! Heading up top for a quick high-altitude spin!”

I gave a two-finger salute, and she shot up into the clouds. Restarting the engine, I increased the diving angle and boosted speed straight into stage two, then cruised for a minute before gently pulling on the left brake, pulling me into a leftward bank. The gradually spinning view was spectacular as the high-rise clouds disappeared above me. After about three turns I leaned harder and pulled the brakes, adding extra tug for my left one.

“Woooo!” I shouted, cranking up the speed. It felt like a little corkscrew waterslide as the spin got tighter! Just then, Zipp appeared out of the blue, like a tri-colored dart, spinning on her longitudal axis before briefly freezing her wings outward as an “air” brake. I looked up as she banked gradually, carving in a zig-zag towards my wing. Then, in a frankly frightening maneuver, she shot right between the rigging lines vertically and glided downwards in an opposite spiral. I shifted into the fourth stage and the motor whirred like a dozen hornets behind my back as we spiraled towards the ground. I was now damn near parallel to the ground as I spiraled towards it, the wing threatening to collapse with any would-be turbulence.

“HEADS-UP!” I yelled. Zipp tucked her wings and flipped head over heels mid-air, while I pulled the left brake hard, causing the wing to flip over. I righted myself and resumed the spiral at about 60 degrees, this time with slightly less power. Being the skilled flier she was, Zipp spun around and got in line just in front of me, adjusting her speed and teasingly nudging my feet with her hind hooves. We exchanged blissful grins, grateful and thrilled to enjoy the perks of stunt flight.

As the ground got closer and closer, I noticed a group of ponies by the landing point. A bouncy cerulean blue mane was all I needed to know who they were. Forty meters from the ground, I cut the engine, straightened out, loosened the harness, and smoothly glided down to a stop, running along the trail to cushion my landing. Zipp gracefully floated down next to me and folded up her wings like a hawk. Behind us, I could hear the cheers and whoops bubbling and bellowing.

“That was so awesome!” Izzy shrieked, running up to me and bouncing up and down like she’d downed ten cans of soda, then grabbed me in a hug before I could even undo the straps. I gave her my signature ear-scratch in return.

“Glad you liked it. I haven’t done that in ages.” I freed myself from the harness and caressed Zipp’s head. “And thank you for flying with me.”

“Anytime, Sky Swirler.”

I grinned at that. Sky Swirler. It sounded corny off the tongue yet cool in my head.

“Appreciate the nickname, Z. See you in Maretime Bay.”

I sealed the wing bag shut, deployed the wheels, and waved before setting off down the road.

Author's Note:

Reference picture for those unfamiliar with Aiden's device: