• Published 23rd Sep 2021
  • 292 Views, 3 Comments

Warfare: Cogs of the War Machine - Im a B O X



War is truly a horrible thing, but what most of us fail to realize is the true extent of war the moment when we all feared for our own mortality.

  • ...
 3
 292

A Spy's Unlikely End (part 1)

2049, 4th year of the Conversion War,


“Ah, Shiv, thanks for attending the meeting back there, really appreciated you going in for me.”

“Huh, oh it’s no big biggie, I’d really just want to help bring this already long war to a close,” looking to his coworker, Shiv gave a smile at their way, “too many had died as a result of it, and I think its best we end it as soon as possible.”

“Well, we can’t really do anything about that can we,” walking side by side with his buddy in the office, the two co-workers walked towards to doors to go outside, it was the end of their shift by that point,

“Besides, we can’t just leave our post as is, now can we?”

“Yeah, I know, but it really does get to you when you’re not working on your specialty, you know?”

“Tell me about it,”

“Anyways, I got to some meetings to follow through, hope to meet you again some other time Joe.”

“You too, old buddy.”


The two coworkers went their separate ways, two workers with different lives, working for different reasons, it was a scene that Shiv would remember later, and although he won’t tell it to the average Joe, Sneaky Shiv was a nerve wreck behind the mask of years’ worth of training in the art of deception, it was his specialty, and it was proud of it. And yet, despite his proficiency with the art itself, he like many others before and after him, who was sent by the ESS to protect and serve their nation by gathering Intel about their enemies, could not help but always feel pressured, the new environment, it was not hard to be a target, yet it all seemed to go so smooth despite the challenges he might face. Going on a trotting pace, he went up to a human dinner in the middle of New Vegas, a city, despite what the locals might say, is one of the most impressive cities Sneaky Shiv has ever seen.

Like most other cities, after the Berlin attack, nearly all major cities of every human nation had up and doubled their security and tech, states and other nations that previously held limitations on what guns civilians could get a hold of had all but been lifted, meaning that the average Joe could be holding a P90 inside his suitcase or even a child with grenade filled pockets and jackets (that’s not to say it was not regulated, but it helps visualize the stage of what could be lying beneath the mask that each civilian had the sensible mind to carry some protection with them). And yet despite this increase in security and firearms, New Vegas, like many wealthy cities, had managed to improve itself little by little and avoided mass shootouts, which is a great feat in it itself, which deeply concerned Sneaky Shiv and the ponies with the same profession as himself.


Arriving at the dinner we has headed to, he quickly found the pony he was looking for amongst the crowds of people inside. A longtime associate of his in the field and an overall great friend, Diamond Back. Sitting down on a chair by her table, he quickly got himself comfy and prepared for a long talk for the night, after all, Vegas was one of the few cities in the entire world that openly dared and challenged everything it could face in this time, with light that pierces the quiet night, it was one of the few places on Earth where it screams ‘come at me bro,’ with lights that lit up the sky all night long.


“So, it’s been a while,” Diamond started, giving a smile at the direction of a dependable and trustworthy college, “what have you been up to? After all, you and I both know how much more you preferred to work alone in this field to maximize your safety.”

“Yeah, about that,” Looking within the folders that Shiv brought with him, he placed it on the table and placed a hoof on top of it, “this right here is probably the most damming thing we, or even I, could have ever found in the entirety of life and history as a whole.”

“And how would that be, after all, I have seen you torture your own nations civilians and the other creatures of the like when they existed, so what just did you get yourself into that would render you confused at this time,” She asked, concern becoming her most dominant emotion at the thought of Equestria’s best ESS agent’s trembling at what they had uncovered, “oh let me guess, you found something so outlandish that you had to consult your own peers to prove to your own sanity that you are still a fundamentally well-working pony.”

“As much as I’d like that to be the case, I don’t think that would be it,” Looking around, Shiv could feel the burning sensation of being watched, a sensation he had always felt since he had found his destiny in life, his cutie mark, and he had learned to live with the sensation, but never to the same extent as when he first came to the human lands.

“Where did you find it?” Diamond asked, “I mean, you must be damned convinced that it actually exists if you even considered asking help from me.”

“Please, do I need to remind you that I have a place in one of the UN’s head-facilities?” looking around, we knew he had to be careful with what he said next, after all, from the stories that other ESS agents would tell, humans aren’t scared of pulling the trigger if the excuse is reason enough to avoid repercussion’s, “Listen, Diamond, please, you and I both know that if these humans manage to create a superweapon, they would steamroll and pin the entire Equestrian armed forces, and I honestly think I have evidence to suggest they are building one right in this very moment.”

“And need I remind you Shiv, these humans are barbarians as they are, they quite literally with the side of chaos, it is only by the string of luck that they have managed to keep the war going for this long. WE are on the side of light, the good, of Harmony, we will win this war, even if humanity manages to create something to help them in the war, it will only stall their inevitable fate, their materials are limited, always being taken by the Equestrian armed forces, so it's only a matter of time until their own resources become strained,” Diamond said, but as she said this, a small realization dawning on her, “You aren’t planning on going AWOL, now are you, you know what happens to such ponies.”

“W-what? By Celestia’s mane, what would implore such a thought into your mind? Might I remind you that I, ME, am asking help from you, to get me out of this place, I went to you asking for help to get me out of this and help me go back to Canterlot, I need to talk to her highness on what I have found personally.”

“And what would this message be that it concerns you so much that you would want to speak it with her directly?”

“I fear that if I share it with anyone, it would be intercepted by those pesky humans, remember, I may be one of the ESS’s best agents, but that doesn’t mean others don’t pose a threat to me or challenge my skills.”

“And how could that be, these humans around us could barely hold themselves from getting wasted, what’s stopping you from just telling me?”

“I have long learned, even before coming here, that rumor’s play a crucial part in decisions, and I fear that the mere rumor of the human project being supposedly leaked would inadvertently cause a much more uncertain human threat, but also cause them to change up how they run things, from managing the war or even how they keep certain things safe, and as you and I know, the past three, maybe four, years of constant bloodshed from this war is proof of that fact.”


Thinking for a moment, Diamond took some time to analyze the situation, she had been a spy for the ESS, much like Sneaky Shiv, since the war had started. But as the war dragged on, it had inflicted a noticeable toll on Equestria as a whole, and the longer the war goes on, the worst the situation would become for all combatants, a quick victory was what was initially planned, but it was clear the war would last at least another three years with the resistance being given (excluding the rooting out of rouge groups).

“Let me think for a moment,” she said, “since if what you said is true, then that would imply several things that I need to account for, especially since it’s no easy workaround these parts.”

“Take your time, but do spend it wisely, you and I know time is a valuable thing to have, no matter the situation.”

“I know, I know,” She said.

“While you’re at it, might as well enjoy the night, what do you say?”

“Sure, order something for me will you, I really need to think.”

“No problem…” Looking around for a waiter, he waved one to come to their table for an order, hiding the folder that he brought beside him out of the eyes view.

Ordering a simple salad for the both of them, he also asked for a bottle of coke for himself and any beverage that Diamond herself fancied, he also asked if he could pay the bill after the meal, which the waiter agreed with. Whilst waiting for their order to arrive, Shiv noticed that two groups of men had entered the dinner, all men with black suits, looking all professional and such, and worrying about his and her partner's safety, he gave a request for the waiter,

“Umm, Sir, sorry to interrupt, but may I ask if I with my partner here could switch table?”

The waiter, looking at them with a hint of disbelief on his face, asked them, “And why would you need to switch tables? I assume that this table is already fine for the both of you unless you’re expecting more to join you.”

“No, no, sir, it’s just that, I would like to have a much more secluded place for my partner and me, a sort of romantic setting if you know what I mean.”

Looking at the two ponies and the table they were in, the waiter let out a sigh of annoyance in their direction,
“Please follow me, I believe the dinner has a table for two by the window side on the second floor if that’s fine by the both of you?”

“Yes, that would be most wonderful,” Shiv said with a smile, patting a hoof at Diamond and giving the motion to follow him, which she promptly did.

“I do hope you and your partner have a pleasant night, and that whatever she’s thinking won’t distract both of you.” The waiter said.

“Huh, oh, uh, thanks for the advice, I guess? But what does it have to your concern?”

“Oh its nothing for me, I have just been a waiter in this establishment for around five months now, not a long time, but in that span, I have seen ponies and people like you two who had come and went, either for their last meal or a different reason and really, I just wish a good luck.”

“Oh, that’s… well thank you anyway.”

“No problem, just keep yourself comfortable and enjoy the night.”

They arrived at the new table without a hitch, easing Shiv’s fear since he had a much better view of not only the outside but also those that went near his vicinity, which meant that he could keep track of who comes in and out in a much more efficient manner. Once they settled into their new table, Diamond was still in her little head, but Shiv didn’t mind, the food was about to be served, and he knew by then, she had an answer for him, so he waited patiently.


Once the food arrived and was served to them, they started eating their respective meals, it was a pleasant night in Vegas, like any other.

“So, have you decided yet?” Shiv asked once more, “It’s been a while now, and honestly, the more you think, the more I become worried.”

“I know, I know, it’s just hard to think if I should, since you know, you haven’t told me yet what it is.” She replied.

Thinking about it for a moment, Shiv reviewed the contents of the folder that he had brought along with him, it was a very general overview of what he was able to gather, nowhere near meticulous details, but enough in his opinion to form out a basic overview of what might come.

“Listen,” Shiv began, “I have very limited details on what I have found in that UN facility, and I feel as though it would be enough evidence to convince that the humans are up to something.”

“They are, up to something, and they always have been since the start of the war.” Diamond replied.

“I know, but I think this time, it’s something bigger, something game-changing for the war, although I don’t think it would be able to turn the tides of war into their favor, what they are planning from what I have gathered would be a great inconvenience in the long run of this war, most likely costing us more than what is necessary should this project be completed.”

“And what is the name of this project?” Diamond asked, “And the details as far as you are concerned, I need details, maybe it’s not even worth our time to worry about, who knows, so details first, reasons later.”

Pondering about what his colleague had just said, Shiv thought about it, although it was a simpler decision should he want to receive the means to get away from this place.

“Don’t think I forgot about earlier Shiv, I know what you did and you owe me a favor next time.”

“Alright, fine, you got yourself a deal, I’ll share with you the details that I was able to gather, but make sure I get a flight or any way to get me back on Equestrian soil.”

“You got yourself a deal old buddy,” Diamond said.


And so, their evening was spent on discussing the plentiful things that Shiv was able to gather and the arrangements for his departure. Although he never liked working with coworkers in this field, since he viewed them as potential holes in what he schemes, he would never deny the fact when help was needed. This was no exception, and what he shared with Diamond was essentially his thoughts on what the humans were possibly doing with project: J.G.W. but according to him and his investigation, it was most likely be a biological weapon similar to the nuclear bombs in terms of its potential damage, or a cure or at least a (temporary) solution for the conversion potion, with test facilities most likely being held at the West Coast of America or its Southern border, although it is unclear, those were the likeliest locations for them. Either way, his reasoning was that since it was clear that humanity was planning something unexpected, even to the point that some of these scientists were either unknown to the majority of the world or are top dogs in their field, it was either of the two, since it would help them and was within their grasp of knowledge. but was unlikely to be finished by two years, by that time, the two agents had estimated that more than half the world major resource pools would be encapsulated by the barrier by then, meaning it was, at best for Equestria, a driving factor in the demise of humanity by the end, they also arranged a flight for Shiv to leave for Equestria, going through Alaska to Mongolia, then by train to the Vietnam coast and from there a ferry to Equestrian shore, after which he could present his case into much more detail to the Equestrian high command.

Once they finished their meal, paid for it, and went their separate ways, their plan and preparations went underway, one of Equestria’s most important agents, about to make a groundbreaking revelation that could help change the course of the war, bring absolute victory or just to spite humanity like the many other times the had already.

Unfortunately for them, the game was rigged from the very start.

Author's Note:

This was supposed to be a whole one part, but then I realized I could two-part it, so I did.

This chapter (and the second part) would focus on the moment when project: J.G.W. (the project responsible for the invention of the Thalmann Anti-Magic Generators) was nearly leaked to Equestrian authorities, unfortunately, Shiv would be intercepted on his way back to Equestria, ending any real hope of getting that knowledge out.

As for Diamond, she was supposed to follow with Shiv, but she was one of the agents that were sent to scout out New York for the upcoming battle for New York City, unfortunately,
that ended in a humiliating disaster, becoming Equestria's first major loss of the war.
(This might be a story I might make next time.)


Let me know if there are any discrepancies and I hope you enjoyed it,
please do tell me your thoughts in the comments and it's actually a lot of fun just doing this.