• Published 8th Sep 2021
  • 341 Views, 2 Comments

An Opportunity of Change - Tower of 0



What was supposed to be an average Ponyville morning is about to change to an interesting assignment.

  • ...
 2
 341

A New Day 2: The Next One

That morning Ponyville sun shines through an open window, hitting the back of a gray mare with blonde hair. The house was quiet for the most part, save for the running water in the bathroom. Justin finishes up part of his morning and heads downstairs to find Chrysalis asleep on the couch instead of the bedroom he set up last night. He shrugs a bit and heads into the kitchen to start breakfast for the household.

The sounds and smells of the kitchen seems to rouse the changeling from her slumber.

"Morning, Chrysalis." Justin's voice calls out.

She stiffens up in surprise, having forgotten where she was.

"Didn't like the room I set up for ya?" He asks as he sets some pancakes on he skillet.

"N-no." Chrysalis meekly replies, slinking off the couch.

Justin takes a second to look at her. "Scared?"

She just nods and leads the human into a sigh.

"Of what?" He asks in a gentle tone flipping one of the pancakes.

"You." She replies. "I've never met something like you that can just resist my control."

"I feel like there's more to it."

"It's also the way you're treating me, most ponies just treat me with disdain. You just accepted me and freed me on the spot."

Justin smiles at her and gives a hearty chuckle. "That's because I believe to grow kindness in others, you have to show kindness first."

Chrysalis it taken aback by his words and demeanor.

"Have you fed yet?" He stops and turns to her with a platter of pancakes.

She just shakes her head.

"Well, go head then." The human says as he places the platter on the table.

"Just... just like that?"

Justin just nods and kneels down to be at eye level with the changeling. Chrysalis isn't so sure about what's going on but goes up to the human and makes eye contact. She can see it, his confidence and determination. Her horn starts to power up as she starts to cast her magic on him. The love tastes different, way different than when she's taking it by force. It's the sweetest she's ever tasted it and she likes it. Soon she just stops, not wanting to take a lot and leaving her with a warm feeling.

"Better?" Justin asks her with a smile.

"Better."

"Excellent!" He says standing back up and going back to his cooking. "Now, I am to keep an eye on you, so you'll be coming with me to work."

Chrysalis is still unsure of him, so far he hasn't made himself an intentional threat. Only when she attacked the foal after being released. Him treating her with kindness even after her outburst in unheard of to her. Yet, here he is, doing just that, throwing everything she knows aside. For what though? A request from the princesses or just his own ends? Chrysalis stands there, lost in her own thoughts.

"Chryssy?"

The name snaps her back to the present.

"You doing okay over there, girl?"

"Oh, uh, yes. Yes."

"Alrighty then, go get yourself ready for the day."

"Wh-what?"

Breakfast goes by without much of a hassle and everyone enjoys their food. Justin is washing the dishes in the kitchen while the other ponies go off to wrap up their mornings. Chrysalis is standing in the living room, staring at the journal on display over the fireplace. She seems a bit mesmerized by the book's cover as the gears move like clockwork. More so at the small green gem that glows in the sunlight.

Justin continues on with the rest of his morning and starts getting Fudge ready for school. Fudge is still a bit tired from all the excitement last night but doesn't fight much. After that, Justin walks with his filly back downstairs and spots the changeling still staring at the journal. He walks up behind her and gently pokes her shoulder, causing her to jump a little and look at him.

"Wouldn't touch that if I were you." Justin tells her. "Now get ready."

"What is it?" Chrysalis asks as she just changes into a random pony.

"An enchanted journal. Come, walk with us."

Fudge and Justin bask in the morning light, cheerily playing games on their walk and telling every pony morning as they pass. Chrysalis is a bit disgusted at the displays of kindness and doesn't respond to any of the happy 'Good Mornings' she receives. In fact, with Justin's back towards her, she could just disappear and escape. Until another thought crosses her mind about the strange creature she finds herself under.

Justin gives Fudge one last hug goodbye before sending her on her way and waves bye to her teacher, continuing on his path with Chrysalis. Chrysalis sticks close to the human as the thought still eats her, sending a shiver down her spine. To any other pony, she looks normal, but to him? He knows thanks to earlier. She didn't put a whole lot of thought into who she looks like and just changed her appearance to comply.

"This is where you'll be working with me for the time being." Justin say as he proudly stands in front of his ice cream shop.

"What is it?" Chrysalis asks with some genuine confusion and curiosity.

"Why it's my ice cream parlor! I opened it sometime after my arrival here in Equestria. With some help." He smiles at her, fishing his keys out from his pocket. and unlocking the door.

Chrysalis just stares for a moment. "What is this 'ice cream' you speak of?"

"It's basically frozen dairy served up as a delicious treat. Kinda had to learn the right recipe for pony consumption though."

He leads the changeling inside and starts to flick on the lights and his other equipment. Chrysalis stands in the lobby of the store, taking in the sights and sounds before following Justin. She ends up in the back with him as he is collecting the tubs of ice cream to put out front behind the counter. She watches his movements, curious about his kind a bit more now, but that's short lived when a spoon with a tiny bit of the dessert comes up to her face.

"Here, try some." Justin smiles as he says.

Chrysalis is hesitant at first, but eventually puts the spoon in her mouth. She swirls the cold mass around in her mouth, the flavor is interesting to say the least. She toys with the ice cream in her mouth some more and then swallows it. It flows down her throat with such ease.

"That is good." Chrysalis chimes, almost returning to being quiet.

"Thank you. Hard work and love go a long way."

Chrysalis points a hoof at the machines. "What're these?"

"Those are my mixers, it's how I make the ice cream."

Chrysalis nods her head and trots out to Justin to continue watching him. His movements seem to flow like they were a second nature to him. Just how long has he been here doing this? Ponies start filing in through the door. He keeps up with his customers just fine even up until Derpy comes in. Chrysalis doesn't really acknowledge any of the ponies in the store, she just watched the human carefully.

Derpy does what she can to help, since this is her day off despite Justin saying otherwise most of the time. The shop stays at it's steady pace for a few hours. Ponies asking Justin who the new mare is with the only response being that she was a new hire. The flow does stop at some point and it's a moment of reprieve for the two. Justin going over and giving a hug to Derpy for the help.

"You know you don't have to keep coming out here to help." Justin tells the mare.

"Yeah, but I like spending time with you." Derpy presses her cheek against his.

The bell above the door gives a ring, causing the human to look over and see who it is. To his surprise, it's Twilight coming in, probably for her usual. The changeling almost immediately changes demeanor when she lays eyes on her once foe. Justin just happily takes care of her order.

"I heard about what Celestia asked you to do." Twilight starts, taking the ice cream in her magical grip.

"She told you I take it? If she trusts me to do it, I'll be giving it my shot." Justin just grins at the alicorn.

"Is that her giving me the stare?" Twilight points a hoof in the direction of the disguised Chrysalis.

"Yeah, don't mind her though. She won't do anything."

"If she gives you any sort of trouble, let the girls and I know. We'll be right over to take of it, okay?"

"Twily, don't worry. I can handle her."

Twilight gives the man a nod in acknowledgement and promptly leaves, but not before turning around one last time and make a watching motion at the changeling. Justin just walks back over to Chrysalis and guides her to the back, telling Derpy to let him know if a customer walks in. The changeling doesn't fight against him guiding her to his office and takes a seat where he tells her to."

"I imagine you're hungry, especially after waiting for so long." Justin starts as he sits across from her with a smile.

"I have a question, why?" This is the first thing she says since the rush.

"Why what?"

"Why do you serve these ponies?"

Justin bursts out in a small fit of laughter. "I don't serve them. I simply provide a good in exchange for bits. It's more of economics."

"I see.... then why do it?"

"These are some good folks if you give them the chance, Chrysalis. They look after you if you do the same in return."

The changeling tilts her head a bit, still in a confused state.

"I've been through a lot in my time here. I'm away from home, got kidnapped by pirates, built a faulty steam cart to catch a train, went to an alternate time line to have a showdown with a chaos-fueled me, and I can't be happier to ask for a more supportive group than these ponies. My mares and filly too."

"I don't understand pony life, but seeing you work in it is... interesting."

"Makes you curious?"

Chrysalis just nods a little bit.

"Well, c'mon, let's get you fed then we can continue, okay?"

Chrysalis starts up her magic again, feeding on his love. It's still just as sweet and starts to fill her with a kind of warmth she hasn't experienced yet. It makes her... happy. Something she's never felt until now, happy, and she has this strange creature to thank for that. She takes just as much as before, this kind of love is filling her quick. Now satisfied, Justin takes her back out to the front and they continue with the rest of the day. Some more ponies come in, and instead of watching, Chrysalis starts greeting them.

The work day comes to a close; Justin, Derpy, and Chyrsalis stand outiside the shop. The human closes the door and locks it tight. He gives the two a smile, currently one returns his smile. The three start on their way to the schoolhouse to pick up Fudge. Justin and Derpy are busy talking amongst each other while Chysalis trudges close behind, lost in her own thoughts. What were these new feelings inside her?

Fudge comes barreling down the path towards the mare and human in excitement. She jumps up and hugs both of them giggling. Justin did notice the unusual, or maybe usual, gloom mood. Atleast the more quiet she has been since they left the shop. The four start making their the way back home while the human hangs back a bit next to Chrysalis. He looks down to her and uses his hips to nudge her a bit.

"You all right?"

Chrysalis doesn't acknowledge his presence.

The group continues on their merry way back home, Justin staying at the side of Chrysalis all the way there. The door to the house swings open and first in is Fudge, then Derpy, followed by Chrysalis, last is Justin. He closes the door after himself and watches the changeling trudge up the stairs. Derpy and Fudge are already in the kitchen and getting to work on dinner.

"You girls go ahead and eat without me, I'm gonna see what's up with Chyrsalis."

The two nod and he starts to head up the stairs.

"Chrysalis?" He calls to no answer.

The human heads over to a door and knocks on it once.

"Chryssy?"

"Go away."

He starts to turn the knob and open the door. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing."

The room appears empty, but he doesn't relent. Justin walks in and closes the door behind himself. He then makes his way over to the empty bed and sits down on it. He knows she's still here, there's a feeling in his fingernails. She isn't going to come out on her own, or at least he wasn't going to make her.

"Chrysalis, There's something wrong. You can talk to me about it."

"No." Her voice is coming from somewhere, he isn't sure.

"Is it something I did?"

She goes quiet.

"What did I do?"

"Nothing."

"Is it something related to me?"

She goes quiet again and he sighs.

"You know, for a supposed master of deception and disguise, you're really bad at lying."

Chrysalis descends from the ceiling and hisses at him with her wings flared out. He just stares at her attempt to intimidate him and she stops. Chrysalis now just glares at him and stands in front of him as her wings fold back in. She takes a few steps back to give them more room and he seems to settle on her bed. His eyes gaze into hers and she relents.

"It's the love you're giving me. I can feel it change me." Chrysalis reveals to him.

"Maybe it's a bad thing to you, but I heard how curious you were."

"Ponies confuse me, they used to disgust me with their 'friendship' and their happy way of life."

Justin brings a hand to his chin and rubs it. "Then why do you keep taking the love I give you if it's changing you?"

"I fear what you are capable of if I don't follow your orders." Chrysalis averts her eyes now, staring at the floor.

"Wait, you fear me?! Some human just living his days amongst ponies and running his own ice cream parlor?"

"It's not what you are, it's what you can do. You just resisted like it meant nothing. You aren't scared of me in any way like most things do."

Justin just hums a bit to himself and stands up. "Well, I understand then. I'll leave ya be for the night. If you get hungry, come find me."

With that, Justin leaves the room and Chrysalis to her own thoughts. This is an enlightening experience and leaves him with some thinking to do. He heads back downstairs and joins Derpy and Fudge for dinner. He stays a bit quiet for most of the night. Justin remains in the living room, a book in hand, the fire blazing, and the quiet of the night to surround him. Derpy and Fudge have gone to bed, but his thoughts nag at him, keeping him awake.

He starts to hear hooves on the stairs coming down. The human takes a moment to look up and see the gray mare he thought hit the hay. Justin just smiles a little as she comes over and sits next to him. She leans into his side and he wraps an arm around her to keep her close. Derpy always knows when he's thinking about something little too hard.

"Do you think I'm someone to be feared?" Justin finally breaks the silence, but not away from his book.

"What?" Dear Derpy asks with some concern now. "You're one of the nicest humans in all of Equestria!"

Justin just smiles and rubs her head with his hand. "Sure I am."