• Published 17th Aug 2021
  • 932 Views, 23 Comments

How I Met Yer Mother - applejackofalltrades



Every good love story has an interesting moment or two. These are Applejack and Rainbow Dash's.

  • ...
12
 23
 932

1. Not The Fruit I Was Expecting

Sometimes, Applejack found herself in the right place at the right time.

This was, arguably, one of those times. Despite the headache it caused her.

"AUGH!"

"What the hay?" An apple fell square on Applejack's head as leaves rustled and drifted down from above her. The not-so-young filly looked up, rubbing the blonde mane on her head.

"Sorry!" another pony squeaked somewhere between a voice crack and a cough. "My bad!"

Applejack frowned and squinted, searching for the origin of the little, slightly annoying voice. All she saw was broken branches and loose leaves. Despite the trouble that this tree was now going to be, somepony needed help. She stood on her hind legs, using the trunk for support.

"Y'alright up there?" she called. "Are ya stuck?"

"No," the other pony responded with a grunt. Leaves rustled. "I'm fine! Don't worry about—"

SNAP.

Suddenly, Applejack found herself snout to snout with a blue pegasus a bit smaller than she herself was.

"—me."

She jumped back in surprise. The little pegasus grinned awkwardly, suspended upside down by only a colourful tail, which to Applejack's surprise, matched that prismatic mane.

"Woah," Applejack exclaimed as her brain finally caught up with what she had seen. "Are you okay, kid?"

"Kid?" Rosey eyes squinted as they swung from side to side, unable to break free. "You don't seem much older than me!"

Applejack grinned, enjoying the show now that she knew the pony was clearly fine. "Well, just that you're awfully small for a little colt. Or maybe that's 'cause you're a pegasus?"

"A colt? What?" A pair of blue wings extended in the struggle, catching Applejack's eyes. "I'm a girl! Why does everyone think I'm a boy?"

"Really?" Applejack cocked her head and squinted at the filly. She seemed awfully tomcolt-ish, but that was something she could kind of relate to. "Well, maybe it's that mane of yours. What's your name then, sugarcube?"

"Sugarcube?" She sighed. If she was bothered by Applejack's honest comment about her mane, she didn't show it. "Oh brother. The name's Rainbow Dash. Remember it, 'cause you'll be hearing it a lot!"

"Nice to meet ya, Rainbow Dash," Applejack greeted with a smile. "I'm Applejack. I reckon y'ain't from around here?"

Rainbow Dash didn't complain as Applejack tugged on her to no avail. "Why do you say that?"

Frustrated that she couldn't get Rainbow down, Applejack snorted before reaching for a lasso she kept in her bag. She was glad she brought it, although she hadn't been expecting to use it on a stray pegasus and not the escaped chicken she was searching for. "Well, number one, yer a pegasus," she stated as she put the loose end of the rope in her mouth.

Applejack swung the lasso in a circle, getting ready to aim for the branch that Rainbow Dash's tail was stuck in. "An' nu'er two," she mumbled through the rope before throwing it. It hooked the branch perfectly, so Applejack tugged and sent it and the pegasus crashing to the ground. "You're not exactly what I was expectin' to fall out of a tree. Most ponies know not to fly into Sweet Apple Acres crop."

Surrounded by leaves and twigs, Rainbow Dash ran a hoof through her mane, sitting up on her behind. A frown adorned that little blue face of hers, and Applejack had to hold back a laugh as she pouted.

"I didn't mean to fly into your tree. I was looking for my friend," Rainbow Dash muttered miserably before perking up and staring at Applejack. "Wait, did you say Sweet Apple Acres?"

Applejack nodded.

"You wouldn't happen to know the ponies who make the cider they send up to Cloudsdale, would you?" she gasped.

Applejack's smirk only deepened. "Lookin' at one of 'em, sugarcube."

To say that Rainbow Dash screamed would be an understatement. "Holy cow! I mean, wow! I love your cider!" she exclaimed with a crackly voice.

This time, Applejack couldn't hold back her laugh. "Glad to hear it, Rainbow. We're extremely proud of our products. Been doin' em the same way for generations, y'know."

It was true. It wasn't only because of Ponyville's lack of advanced machinery that the Apples did everything by hoof. Even if Ponyville was as big, bustling, and technologically advanced as Manehattan (and Applejack not so secretly wished it never would be), she knew that her family would stick to their roots. Literally.

Rainbow seemed to appreciate that. She shook a leaf out of her mane. "Wow! Never change, then. I really like that stuff," she repeated. "Although, I can't wait 'til I'm old enough for the alcohol one! My dad says it's smooth, although isn't all liquid smooth?"

That was one factor Applejack knew about from hearing about it. She wasn't directly involved with the creation of the alcoholic version of their cider, but she was familiar with the logistics of it. "My daddy used to say it was good too," Applejack agreed. "Maybe when we're older, I'll have to find you an' we can try it together."

With an adorably crackly laugh, Rainbow smiled at Applejack. "Trust me, cowgirl, you won't have to find me," she promised, sticking her hoof out. "I'll come down here myself. That's a Rainbow Dash Guarantee!"

Applejack extended her hoof and spat on it before slapping it to Rainbow's. "Alright, I'll hold ya to that."

Surprisingly, Rainbow didn't retreat her hoof in disgust and instead opted to casually wipe it on her chest. "Gross," she mumbled, although she looked more amused than appalled. "I like you, Applejack. You don't seem lame."

What a strange thing to say. Applejack rubbed her neck. "Uh, thanks?"

"You're welcome!" Rainbow Dash responded loudly. "Now, I gotta get back up to Cloudsdale. I didn't mean to come so far down," she admitted, extending her wings and ruffling them before crouching down. "See you later, Applejack! Don't forget my promise!"

With a final glance at Applejack, the filly smirked and shot up into the sky faster than Applejack thought a little filly like Rainbow could go. A confused smile crept up on her face. "Later," she mumbled.

Author's Note:

Ayooo and so it begins. Another goofy story, another stupid idea. However this time it's not something I have prewritten and will instead be adding on to randomly. I hope y'all will enjoy what's to come! This chapter is the one that I originally wrote for the speedwrite. Nothing at all was changed :)

Chapter lengths will be varied, might be around this length or longer and they will be written whenever I have an idea. I can't promise they will be ordered chronologically but I will be restructuring the chapter order so it's chronological as it gets updated, if that makes sense. I'll be numbering each chapter in order of uploading so it doesn't get too confusing. I'll try not to make a mess of it though aha.

Anyway, here we are, back at my Appledash roots. Gotta love it.