• ...
5
 30
 1,212

Chapter 8

Standing in an empty alley, Twilight watched her hands and the brick wall in front of her over and over again.

"I don't lose anything by trying..." she murmured, still unsettled by her recent discovery.

Placing her hands on the wall above her head, Twilight pushed herself up. Her palms stuck to the bricks, as if she had suction cups on them. Supporting first one hand and then the other, she Twilight ascended the wall in a matter of seconds and nimbly reached the roof of the building.

"This is incredible!" she yelled, running at top speed and then jumping off the edge of the roof. Having cleared the small space in the alley, she landed on the roof of the adjacent building. Then she continued her aerial journey from roof to roof.

"I have to try something..." Twilight said, her heart pounding. Standing on the edge of a building, she directed her wrist toward the building across the alley. Trying to remember what exactly she had done in the cafeteria to make the filament shoot out of the cut on her wrist, she closed her hand.

Nothing.

She moved it in all directions and nothing happened. Turning her hand, she exposed his palm and pressed her ring finger and heart against her palm.

ZIP!

A filament of cobweb shot out of her wrist and stuck to the wall of the building opposite. Twilight pulled the string. She was holding on tight. "I don't lose anything by trying" she told herself. Then she held on tightly to the filament and left the roof.

"It works!" she screamed excitedly, swaying like a monkey on a vine, while the powerful thread supported her weight. She only looked ahead in time to see her pounce over a brick wall...

"Agg!" she yelled "Where's the brakes on this?"

With her legs in front of her, Twilight crashed into the wall: first her feet, then her shoulders, and finally her face.

"I think I need a little practice!" She thought as she dangled from the filament, somewhat dazed.

Twilight spent the rest of the afternoon climbing walls, weaving webs, and jumping across neighborhood rooftops, training her skills.


As night fell, Twilight finally headed home. Along the way, she tried to clarify the strange events of the past few days. "When that mutant spider bit me, it must have somehow transmitted all of her abilities to me. I have become a kind of human spider... How strange!".

When she got home, Twilight walked into the kitchen and immediately smelled the wet paint.

"Oh no!" she exclaimed "I promised Shining Armor that tonight I would help him paint..."

She found a note taped to the staircase that said, "Dinner is in the oven. We have gone to the Anderson house to play bridge."

"Ah, damn it!" she sputtered herself, annoyed with herself for breaking her word with Shining Armor.

The screaming from the house next door interrupted her thoughts. Looking out the window, she saw the silhouettes of Flash Sentry and her parents. They were arguing once more.

Twilight stepped out into the backyard just as Flash slammed open the back door and stepped out into hers.

"H-hi..." she said, embarrassed that she was discovered.

"Have you been listening?" Flash asked.

"No. Well yeah..." Twilight stuttered "I guess I heard something".

"Sorry" said Flash "We argue all the time. Your brother never yells".

"Well, you have no idea what they both can yell sometimes you know?" Twilight replied, trying to make him feel better.

"Good" Flash started, suddenly changing the subject "What are you going to do when you finish high school?".

"I've thought about moving to the city, getting a job as a photographer and working while I study for a career" Twilight explained "And you?"

"I think I'll also go to the city" Flash replied "To become an actor".

"Great" said Twilight "I have the impression that great things are going to happen to you, Flash".

"Oh yeah? And what's going to happen to you?"

"I'm not sure" Twilight answered "But I feel something that I haven't felt before. Something... different."

Suddenly there was a moment of awkward silence between them.

"Wow, you're taller than you look..." Flash said, and suddenly grabbed Twilight by her arms. He was surprised to touch them "You shouldn't shrink so much".

Flash put his hands on Twilight's arms again. Meanwhile, his heart was pounding.

The screaming started again and the loud horn of a car was heard, spoiling the moment.

Trixie Lunamoon pulled a shiny new convertible to the curb.

"Hey, Flash!" she yelled "Come on, let's go for a spin on my birthday present!"

Flash looked at Trixie and then at Twilight.

"Thanks, Twilight" he said, shrugging "I have to go."

He smiled at Twilight, then got into the convertible and he and Trixie drove away.

Twilight flexed her arms. They looked huge. She sighed and shrugged.

"What a car" she thought.


That night, alone in her room, Twilight thought about her powers as she flipped through the newspaper. An announcement caught his attention:

"ATTENTION, AMATEUR FIGHTERS
THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS
If you can stay in the ring
for more than three minutes with
Bulk Biceps

Eye-catching clothing MANDATORY!"

"Perfect!" Twilight exclaimed, and she ripped the ad from the newspaper "I'll be able to earn some quick cash and buy my own car".

Using a pencil and sketchbook, Twilight went to work designing a costume for her. Two, three, four pictures were squeezed to the ground before Twilight took a break to get some practice with her newly released spider web shots.

She placed a few bottles on the shelves in her room, and tried to reach them with a cobweb strike. Although she was able to control when she fired, she did not know how to direct the filaments in a certain direction. She missed her target in a single shot, and she just hit the bookshelf, knocking the books and science awards to the floor.

"Twilight?" Cadance called her from the entrance "What's going on?".

"I only exercise, Cadance!" Twilight yelled.

"Well don't hurt yourself, for Celestia's sake" she replied.

Twilight took out her tools and began rummaging through the drawers looking for anything that would allow her to build a contraption to get her web shot. She scattered some old toys, clocks, and other trinkets on her desk.

Excited about the idea, she went to work with her welder.

"Another science project for Twilight Sparkle" she thought, smiling, as she fashioned a pair of web-firing bracelets as she could. She tucked them into her wrists and fired at the first bottle on the shelf.

ZIP! An accurate hit! She tugged at her arm and the bottle flew across the room... eventually slamming into a wall.

"Hey!" Shining Armor yelled from downstairs "What are you doing, Twilight?"

"Studying, brother!" she exclaimed "Studying hard!"

Author's Note:

Twilight practices her powers to buy a car and impress Flash. Will she get it?