• ...
5
 30
 1,210

Chapter 18

Sirens blared and thick black smoke filled the afternoon sky as an apartment building on the downtown outskirts burned out of control. Police cars, fire engines, and ambulances came incessantly. Firefighters rushed into the building, searching for those still trapped in their flats.

A few minutes later, two firefighters were leading a desperate mother and hers of her two children out of the flames and bringing them to safety across the street. But she was reluctant to leave the building.

"Let me go!" she cried "My baby is still in there! Someone save my baby!"

The firefighters held her down.

"It's too late, ma'am!" said one "The ceiling is about to collapse!"

"No!" the woman screeched, struggling to free herself to get back into the building.

Another firefighter pointed to the sky.

"Look!" he yelled "It's her!"

All eyes darted up in time to see Spider-Girl swinging toward the burning building.

"She is crazy!" the first firefighter yelled "She won't make it!"

"Save my baby, Spider-Girl!" the terrified mother begged "Please!"

Spider-Girl disappeared like lightning into the burning building as part of the roof collapsed.

"No!" cried the heartbroken mother, now certain that she had lost her child.

Just below the roof, a huge ball of orange flame and black smoke erupted through the shattered windows. A few inches above that hell, Spider-Girl descended carrying a small package wrapped in a protective web.

"I can't believe it!" exclaimed a firefighter "She is alive, and brings the child!"

The crowd there erupted into spontaneous applause as Spider-Girl landed next to the young mother.

"Don't worry, ma'am" she said, and she handed him the bundle wrapped in the cobweb "Her baby is not hurt".

"Oh bless you, Spider-Girl!" exclaimed the woman, her eyes brimming with tears of joy. After removing the soft cobweb blanket from the boy, she kissed his forehead and added, "Thank you!"

"Well remember this kids" Spider-Girl said sternly to the baby's two older brothers "Never play with matches!"

"Help me!" a scream of horror came from the burning building.

"Look!" exclaimed a young man pointing to a downstairs window "Someone is still up there!"

All the people turned to the building and saw an old man standing at the window, wrapped in a shawl, waving his hands and screaming desperately.

Jumping into the air, Spider-Girl released a web and swung back toward the burning structure. As she glanced out the adjacent window, she landed in a smoky room and saw the terrified man, huddled in the corner, covering himself with his shawl.

"Don't worry sir, everything will be fine" Spider-Girl announced "I'll get you out of here".

"Thank you, young lady" the old man said weakly "You are my heroine!"

Upon rising, the man removed his shawl to reveal that he was actually... the Black Goblin!

"What's wrong with turning something on from time to time?" she laughed mockingly, straightening up to her full height, and surrounded by lurking flames.

"Black Goblin!" Spider-Girl exclaimed "It was you who started this fire!"

"You are so pathetically predictable, Spider-Girl...!" the Black Goblin scoffed "Like the moths around the light..., I knew you would show up here. Well? What about my proposal to join forces? Do you accept it or decide to lose it?"

"It's you who has lost ...!" Spider-Girl responded, clenching her fists, ready for the fight "And forever!"

"Wrong answer!"

But before Spider-Girl could move, the Black Goblin threw a blade at her. Spider-Girl reacted instinctively, avoiding her sharp spinning blade with her right arm, but her dainty sharp weapon slashed his forearm deeply.

"Ahh!" Spider-Girl howled, clutching her aching right arm with his left hand. Looking at him, she saw a large wound from which she was oozing abundant blood. She quickly threw a strand of cobweb upward onto a beam that burned just above the Black Goblin's head. Pulling hard on the web, Spider-Girl caused the beam to fall on his opponent.

But she was fast and strong. She got rid of the burning beam and turned to face Spider-Girl ... even though she had already disappeared out the window leaving a trail of blood behind her.

"NO ONE GIVES ME A NO FOR AN ANSWER!!" shouted the Black Goblin fiercely, and jumped on her glider, to escape the blaze.


Thanksgiving was Twilight Sparkle's favorite holiday. Every year she eagerly looked forward to Cadance's meals, watching a soccer game with Shining Armor, and the cozy, family atmosphere that was especially felt in her home during big holidays.

This year, with the loss of Shining Armor, it all seemed inappropriate. Twilight wondered how she and Cadance would manage the party without her brother, and she almost felt reluctant to celebrate.

Twilight was relieved when Sunset and Flash suggested spending the day together in Sunset and Twilight's apartment. Twilight, Cadance, Sunset, and Flash would be joined by Abacus Cinch. Cadance would also make his famous turkey, Cinch would finally meet Flash, and the pain over the absence of Shining Armor would be somewhat mitigated by the pleasure of hosting that party with a group of close friends.

While Cadance was taking the sizzling paco out of the oven to poke with a fork, Flash handled the sweet potatoes. Sunset finished setting the table for five. Neither Cinch nor Twilight had arrived yet.

The doorbell rang and Sunset jumped uneasily.

"It has arrived!" she told everyone.

Flash ran out of the kitchen, untying his apron. He tossed it over a ledge, revealing an elegant blue suit.

"You are very handsome!" Sunset said, walking towards the door "That suit is beautiful!".

Flash smiled nervously. The woman he was about to meet was not only the mother of his girlfriend, but the great Abacus Cinch, an industry mogul, a real big shot.

Sunset opened the door and Cinch walked in, impeccably dressed in a black suit. She carried a pastry box tied with ribbons.

"Sorry I'm late. I had a lot of work to do" Cinch said. She quickly handed the box to Sunset and looked at Flash "I brought a fruit cake. Who is this young man?"

"Flash" began Sunset, breathing deeply "I would like you to meet my mother, Abacus Cinch. Mom, this is Flash Sentry".

Flash flashed a beaming smile that lit up his pretty face framed by a mop of blue hair. Cinch walked over to him and extended her right hand, addressing the young man who was occupying most of her daughter's time and attention.

"How are you?" she said she sweetly "I was looking forward to meeting you".

"Happy Thanksgiving ma'am" Flash replied, shaking his hand. Instantly, an inexplicable feeling of dread washed over him, and he discarded that hand when Cadance returned.

"Hi, Cinch" said Cadance affectionately, wiping her hands on her apron "We are so glad you came. Now the one that remains to come is Twilight. She asked me where she is. I hope she remembers the cranberry sauce!"

At that moment, a lightning bolt of pink and purple flashed past the dining room window, without anyone present being able to see it. Twilight, still dressed in her costume, slid out of her bedroom window and landed on the floor with a thud.

Everyone in the room turned to the door of Twilight's room.

"How weird..." said Sunset "I didn't know Twilight was here".

In her room, Twilight removed her mask and observed the cut on her arm. Suddenly someone knocked on the door.

"Twilight?" Sunset called "Are you there?"

The door opened and Sunset, Cadance, and Cinch entered. The room was empty.

"There is no one here" said Cadance "It's weird".

Clinging to the ceiling of the room, Twilight held her breath and stared at the trio of visitors. Sunset and Cadance returned to the dining room, but Cinch remained there for a moment. As she turned to leave, a drop of blood fell from Twilight's wound onto the carpet.

The heightened sense of hearing Cinch now enjoyed picked up on the almost imperceptible sound, and she turned quickly to see the red liquid spread across the carpet. She glanced quickly at the ceiling, but she found it empty. She then she ran to the window, and looked in all directions, but saw no one. Shrugging, she returned to the dining room.

Twilight was hanging under the windowsill. When Cinch left the room, she slipped back inside, she changed her clothes and crawled out the window. A few seconds later, she walked through the front door.


"Hi, everyone!" she exclaimed, pulling a small brown paper bag out of her jacket pocket "I'm sorry it took so long. It's like a jungle! I had to beat an old woman with a stick to get these blueberries".

Cadance raised his head and looked shocked at Twilight's joke. Teenagers!.

"Come on, everyone at the table" she announced "Let's sit down and say a prayer".

As they sat down, Cadance saw the blood on Twilight's arm.

"Twilight!" she screamed "You're hurt!"

"I tripped over a curb and a messenger hit me with her bike" said Twilight, who had made up the story just moments before.

"Well let me see" Cadance said, getting up and grabbing Twilight's arm. She rolled up his sleeve and everyone could see the deep cut diagonally "Oh my God! I'll get the medicine cabinet and clean that wound for you. Then we'll give thanks. It's the girls' first Thanksgiving in her own apartment, and we're going to get it right".

As Cadance walked away from the table, Cinch kept staring at Twilight's cut. Her eyes widened as she recognized the mark of the diaongal cut so familiar to her.

"How did you say you did that to yourself?" Cinch asked, looking at Twilight suspiciously.

"A messenger threw me to the ground" she replied, at the same time that her arachnid sense set off her alarms. She felt a tingling throughout her body as incessant warnings of danger came to her. But why?. She looked around the room. Who of those present could represent a danger?

Cinch stood up abruptly, stunned at the only possible explanation for Twilight's unmistakable injury.

"You will have to forgive me" she said, and advanced towards the door "I'm afraid I have to go".

Sunset jumped out of her seat and ran after her mother.

"What?" she exclaimed "Why?"

"Something has come up that requires my immediate attention," Cinch replied. Sweat trickled down her forehead and his heart was pounding.

"Are you okay, mom?" Sunset asked, overwhelmed with anger and confusion.

"I'm fine" she replied curtly. She then looked at Cadance, who was returning with the medicine cabinet "Thank you, Cadance. Goodbye, everyone".

"Wow," Cadance lamented "What's wrong?"

Cinch narrowed her eyes at Twilight and left the apartment.

"Mom!" Sunset yelled, chasing him down the hall. The apartment door was left open behind her "I had planned this party so you could meet Flash, and you barely looked at him!"

Cinch leaned against the hallway wall. His mind was racing.

"I have to leave".

Sunset grabbed her mother by her shoulders.

"Hey, I like that boy, mom!" she yelled "This is important to me!"

"Sunset, please" Cinch began, straightening up and regaining the tone of voice she used when she had to show her daughter who was in charge. "Look at him. Do you think he's with you because he likes your personality?"

"What are you saying, mom?" Sunset asked, amazed. Her mother had said nasty things to her before, but this was too much.

"He's with you for your money" Cinch snapped. She then she turned around and headed for the street.

"What?" Sunset yelled at her mother's back. Too late. Cinch was gone.

When Sunset returned to the apartment, Flash was taking her coat.

"Where are you going?" she asked her as he advanced toward the door.

"Thanks for standing up for me, Sunset" he said, pushing her past.

"You've heard?" Sunset asked, embarrassed.

"We've all heard that idiot!" yelled Flash.

Sunset's face flushed with rage.

"That idiot is my mother!" she exclaimed "If I'm lucky, I'll be able to become half of what she already is. So she shut up and don't say anything about things you don't understand".

"Sunset Shimmer!" Cadance reproached him.

"I'm sorry, Cadance" said Flash, trying to hold back his tears, and slammed the door out.

"Sunset, go find him!" Twilight yelled at her.

"I'm not going to do it" Sunset replied coldly, shaking her head.

"Come on, Sunset, do it!" Twilight repeated.

"No, I can't!" he said, and turning to Cadance, added: "Welcome to my family's Thanksgiving Day" she hurried into her room and slammed the door.

Twilight turned to kiss her sister-in-law.

"I'm sorry, Cadance" she said as she bolted out of the apartment "Everything looked so good!"

The door closed behind Twilight. Cadance sat alone at the beautifully set table. All had made a great effort to decorate it. This was going to be difficult without Shining Armor, but even so, a happy meeting. Now, everything had gone wrong.

Steam was still coming out of the uncarved turkey. The candles sizzled gracefully in the dim light.

"We haven't even had a chance to say thank you" Cadance said, and she sighed sadly.

Author's Note:

Cinch knows that Twilight and Spider-Girl are the same person!!!!!

What will happen now!!??:twilightoops::twilightoops::twilightoops::twilightoops::twilightoops::twilightoops::twilightoops::twilightoops::twilightoops::twilightoops: