• ...
5
 30
 1,210

Chapter 17

"The Black Goblin!" Filthy Rich proud announcement, holding the front page of the Pony New Network with his arm raised.

Filthy Rich sat in his office and bit into his cigar as she watched Twilight Sparkle pacing from one side of the office to the other.

"Do you like the name? I made it up myself. Since Spider-Girl appeared, everyone has to have a big name".

Twilight read the headline comparing Spider-Girl to the Black Goblin and shook her head.

"Spider-Girl wasn't terrorizing the city" she said "I was trying to save her! This is slander!"

"Slander is something to be said..." Filthy Rich corrected Twilight "When she printed it out is called "libel". So let her sue me as a person".

Twilight realized that continuing this discussion would get her nowhere, so she turned on her heel to leave the office. As she walked out, she heard a vaguely familiar high-pitched moan, muffled by the glass of the sealed office window.

CRASSS!

Like an explosion, the Black Goblin smashed through the window behind Filthy Rich, sending shards of glass falling everywhere. Her glider came to rest on her desk. The Black Goblin grabbed the Pony New Network editor by the throat with one hand, lifting him from his chair. Filthy Rich hung in midair, helplessly, trying to breathe.

"Filthy Rich! I have a question for you!" shouted the Black Goblin in her thin, ghostly voice "Who is the person taking the pictures of Spider-Girl?"

Twilight had already disappeared down the hall as the employees crawled across the floor to safety.

"She's free-lance!" Filthy Rich replied, his voice drowned out by the black-gloved hand that closed around his windpipe. "I don't know who he is in person. The photos come to us in the mail".

"You lie!" howled the Black Goblin "I'll give you one last chance to tell me".

"Please..." Filthy Rich gasps "Air... I can't breathe..."

"Hey!" yelled a voice behind the Black Goblin.

She turned to see Spider-Girl hanging upside down from the broken window.

"I run the reins of this city, friend" joked Spider-Girl.

"Speaking of the queen of Rome!" exclaimed the Black Goblin with an evil smile drawn on her hateful face. She released Filthy Rich, who collapsed to the ground, gasping for air.

"I knew it!" Filthy Rich exclaimed, wheezing and coughing "You two are in this together! I knew you were ..."

ZIP! SPLASH!

Spider-Girl released a glob of cobwebs that landed in Filthy Rich's mouth, sealing it.

"Hey baby, let the women talk for a minute, okay?" Spider-Girl said. For Twilight Sparkle, who was behind the mask, this was a very satisfying moment.

The Black Goblin raised an arm towards Spider-Girl and a black gas came out of her glove.

"Sleep a little".

Spider-Girl dizzy and blacked out, staggering on the edge of the raised window and falling onto the sidewalk.

"I hate fighting running, but I have to go!" the Black Goblin said, turning to Filthy Rich. She then she started the turbo on her glider and flew out the window.

She plummeted, leaving a trail of flames and smoke in her wake. The Black Goblin picked up Spider-Girl seconds before she hit the ground, and then she flew into the darkness.


Spider-Girl slowly regained consciousness. When she finally opened her eyes, the Black Goblin was staring at her, smiling. Spider-Girl tried to get up and sit up, but her body felt heavy and weak, and every movement was a great effort. Looking around her, she saw that they were on a deserted roof, high above the city.

"Relax" said the Black Goblin "My hallucinogenic gas has diminished the capacities of your central nervous system, but its effects will only last a few minutes. Long enough for you and I to talk".

"Who are you?" Spider-Girl groaned as she tried to find a comfortable position and shake off that feeling of torpor.

"Your soul mate" replied the Black Goblin "You have transformed, you are no longer what you were before, and now no one can understand what is happening to you. No one except me, of course. They call us monsters. But the truth is that we are something superior to humans, not something inferior".

"I'm not like you" said Spider-Girl "You are a murderer!"

"Well, everyone has their own... You have chosen the path of the hero. But, how long will it be before the people of this city begin to hate you? Read the headlines" replied the Black Goblin "The day will come when you wonder why you risk your life for a bunch of ungrateful fools".

"Because it's the right thing to do" Spider-Girl replied, her mind a little more clear-headed. She was still too weak to risk fighting her powerful adversary. "It's the only thing to do".

"You and I are exceptional" continued the Black Goblin "I had problems, but I used my extraordinary powers and the problems have disappeared quickly".

Spider-Girl watched her silently. The Black Goblin continued:

"Imagine how much we can achieve if we work together. Think what we could create. On the other hand, if we continue this selfish and senseless battle, many innocents will die. And eventually, we will also die".

The Black Goblin leaped onto the waiting glider.

"Think about it... heroin" she said.

After her, with a slight movement of her shoulder, she was lost like lightning in the dark, and her mocking unearthly laughter faded behind her into the shadows.


The following night, fully recovered from the Black Goblin's gas attack, Twilight Sparkle leaned against a brick wall at the back of a downtown theater. Nearby, a door that read "ARTISTS ONLY" swung open quickly and Flash Sentry slammed the door behind him.

"Hey, how was your audition?" Twilight asked, catching up with him in one stride.

"How did you know?" Flash asked, glad to find her.

"By the official bulletin" Twilight replied "Your mother told Cadance".

"So you weren't just passing by?" Flash asked, flattered by the visit.

"Well... I was in the area" said Twilight "I needed to see a friendly face. I took two buses to get here, but..."

"They told me I needed acting classes" Flash sputtered "Can you believe it? They told me I need acting classes to act in a soap opera!".

"Come on, I'll buy you a hamburger" Twilight told him hopefully.

Flash smiled and took her hand.

"I'd love to, but I can't" he said "I'm going to have dinner with Sunset. Why don't you come over?"

"No, thanks" Twilight replied, shrugging "Well, how are you two doing?"

"Why are you so interested?" Flash asked.

"I'm not interested" Twilight replied, and she regretted saying those words right at the very moment she blurted them out.

"Aren't you?" Flash asked, a bit confused.

"Well, why should I be?" Twilight replied, screwing up each time.

"I don't know" he said "Why should you be?"

Twilight was getting more and more uncomfortable.

"I feel don't come with us" Flash said, breaking the silence, "I gotta go. I'm late".

Twilight, incredulous, watched Flash as he disappeared running down the street. Had he screwed it up again? Did Flash want her to confess her love for him right there, at that very moment?

Her thoughts were interrupted by four bullies who passed her by intentionally hitting her.

"Sorry" Twilight said sarcastically.

The thugs ignored her, and Twilight began to move in the opposite direction. But a few meters later, she turned in the direction of the four bullies walking away from her. Something told her that she should follow them.


As Flash rounded the corner, the four thugs caught up with him.

"Hey buddy..." said one, as the four surrounded him "Give us your money and we will let you go."

Another thug grabbed his backpack.

"Let it go!" Flash yelled, as he hit one of the thugs in the mirror, elbowed another in the face and sprayed the other two with a srpay that he carried on his keychain.

Having recovered from Flash's surprising acts of self-defense, the four now-furious thugs approached him threateningly. The robber who had spoken first reached into a pocket and produced a razor, which he slammed open with a sinister hiss.

"Alright loser" I grumble, raising the sharp blade to Flash's face "Game over!"

"Actually ..." said a voice emerging from the darkness "It just started!"

That voice was from Spider-Girl!

ZIP! ZAP!

With astonishing speed, a filament of cobweb descended from a nearby rooftop and coiled the four robbers like a lasso trapping a steer at a rodeo.

With a powerful pull from above, the web lifted the four hooligans off the ground.

Flash followed them with his eyes, stunned and looking for his savior. Then the assailants fell one by one. Flash saw two of them wedge themselves against a nearby window; another crashed into a wall, and the fourth landed on a dumpster. All four lay unconscious.

"You have the strange habit of always getting in trouble" Spider-Girl commented from the darkness.

"And you also have the strange mania of always saving me" Flash answered, walking towards her "I think I have a superhero hanging around me".

In the rush to save Flash, Twilight hadn't had time to put on her mask. She was hanging from the belt of her costume.

"I was in the zone" she said.

Flash stopped and squinted at the figure in the dark. Where had he heard someone say that same phrase?

"You're amazing" she murmured, advancing on Spider-Girl again.

Twilight managed to clumsily put on the mask just as Flash reached for her.

"Some don't think so" she said.

"But you really are" he replied.

"Thanks for thinking that" he said, and instantly leapt towards the wall behind her, sticking to it, feet up and head down.

Flash approached Spider-Girl. Her faces, although in different positions, were at the same height.

"Can I say thank you this time?" Flash asked, reaching for her mask and pulling her down from her chin.

"Are you going to remove my mask right here?" Spider-Girl wondered, unable to move.

But Flash only exposed Spider-Girl's lips. He kissed her firmly and then slowly pulled away from her.

"This is so you remember where your mouth is," he said softly, returning her mask to hers.

Spider-Girl stared at him for a moment, and a million thoughts raced through her head at once. Twilight Sparkle had finally kissed the boy she had loved her entire life, even though he didn't know it. And he wasn't kissing Twilight, but Spider-Girl. Too complicated to understand...

She climbed the wall and disappeared over the edge of the roof.

"Wow!" Flash exclaimed, sighing heavily as he followed her movements with glowing eyes.

Author's Note:

Twilight's thought behind the mask:

"IT'S THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!"

:twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish:

By the way ... is it my imagination or does it smell burning?