• ...
5
 30
 1,211

Chapter 11

Dressed in her street clothes, Twilight hurried out of the sports hall. She didn't want her brother to know where she had been that night, so she hurried to the library before he arrived to pick her up.

Twilight looked at her clock in the corner where they had arranged to meet.

"Five past ten" he said aloud "Hmm ... Shining Armor is never late. I hope you are not mad at me for the nonsense I told you this afternoon about not being a dad. That was stupid. I have to. repeat how sorry I am. "

A police car sped past Twilight, her blasting siren breaking the night's silence. A few seconds later she was followed by an ambulance, with the siren also sounding. Both vehicles made a right turn into the next block with a screech.

This was the same route Shining Armor had to take on its way from home.

When another police car sped past and made the same turn, Twilight felt a pang of terror. She walked briskly to the next block and then started jogging, ending up running. As she rounded the corner, she almost stopped her heart at the sight of a large crowd.

Trying to push her way through the growing number of onlookers, Twilight arrived alongside three policemen. There was a man lying in the middle of the street, bleeding from a terrible wound on his chest. As they approached the officers, Twilight looked at the dying man's face.

"Shining Armor!" she screamed in disbelief of what she was seeing, feeling dizzy and nauseous. When she knelt beside her body, an officer grabbed her by the arm and pulled her away.

"Come on, come on..." said the policeman "Stay away, miss!"

"My brother!" Twilight groaned "He's my brother!"

The officer released his arm.

"What happened?" Twilight asked as everything spun around her, like in slow motion.

"A car thief" explained the officer "He shot this man and he fled in his car".

Twilight approached her brother again.

"Come on, miss" said the policeman "You can't do anything to help this guy anymore".

"This guy?" Twilight yelled, stunned to hear someone call the man she had loved so much, who had sacrificed everything for her "It's not "this guy "!" she blurted out to police, "He's my brother!".

Twilight knelt beside the body and began to rock her brother's head in her arms.

"Shining Armor!" she called out "It's me, Twilight!"

Shining Armor's eyes slowly widened. He looked at her and smiled.

"Twi... light..." he whispered weakly. After her her eyes closed and her body went limp.

Shining Armor had died.

Twilight hugged the lifeless body of her brother and began to sob uncontrollably.

"They already have the one who shot!" An officer standing behind Twilight, now mired in anguish, announced in a squeaky voice. "He was heading south on Fifth Avenue!"

Twilight's tears stopped as if someone had cut them off. At that moment, pain gave way to anger. Gently placing her brother's body back on the ground, she stood up and pushed her way through the crowd with firm determination.


Sliding down a dark alley, Twilight tore off her shirt and pants, revealing the clothes she had worn to the wrestling match. It wasn't a proper costume, but for the moment she would do.

With one leap, Twilight landed on the side of a building, glued to the bricks, and raced to the top floor.

She ran across the roof to get to the side of the building that faced Fifth Avenue. She looked down and saw a line of police cars shining her headlights onto a single car (Shining Armor's Oldmobile) as sirens sounded.

Twilight raised her right hand and a sticky strand of cobweb sprouted from her wrist, adhering to the building across the street. Wrapping the web around her right hand, she leapt from the roof in a swift, nimble arc.

Cars, lights, and people approached Twilight at full speed. Calmly, she reached out her left hand and fired another strand of cobweb. As soon as the second thread had attached itself to a new building, she let go of the first, shifting her full weight now onto her left hand, and curled once more high above the city.

With a smooth, relentless rhythm, alerting the cobweb shooters on each of her wrists, Twilight picked up speed and advanced down Fifth Avenue. It only took her a few minutes to reach the car that her brother's killer was driving at full speed.

The car swerved recklessly from one lane to another, weaving through the traffic. Her driver was trying by all means to get rid of the police cars that were pursuing him. Upon reaching an eastbound street, she swerved and made a sharp left turn. The rear of the car skidded as it accelerated toward the river. Brakes screeched and wheels squealed as police cars continued their pursuit.

So was Twilight.

PUM!

The driver heard a thud from the ceiling, as if something had landed there. As he looked up in puzzlement, a fist went through the plate and a hand smashed into his face. Unable to see, he bounced off a curb and struggled through a junction as several cars skidded and collided trying to avoid him. While he held the steering wheel with one hand, the driver put the other in a pocket, pulled out a pistol and fired at the roof of the car.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

Outside, hooked to the ceiling, Twilight watched as the bullets exploded through the shattered metal, passing only inches from her. She let go of the killer's face and jumped onto the roof of a truck that was traveling in the adjoining lane at a speed similar to that of the Oldmobile.

Looking ahead, Twilight discovered a low-rise bridge across the street that she was about to crash into. Synchronizing her movements perfectly, she jumped, did three cartwheels to release the bridge; and she fell back to the other side, onto the roof of the truck. Taking a moment to regain her balance, she jumped back up to the speeding car and landed on the hood.

PAM!

Twilight's powerful fist smashed through the windshield, shattering the glass, obscuring the driver's visibility. As it drove at full throttle, uncontrollably, the car collided with the closed doors of an old riverside warehouse, ripping the rusted hardware from its hinges.

The car skidded into the warehouse entrance, but with no hint of stopping. Seeing that they were about to collide with the building, Twilight jumped up and managed to hang onto the wall above the entrance. The Oldmobile ended its run by crashing into the warehouse, ripping the door off its hinge and then stopping.

As police cars plowed through the already open entrance, sirens and radios blasting, Twilight quickly ascended the surface of the building, disappearing through a broken window.


Inside the warehouse, Twilight deftly crawled across the steel ceiling beams and surveyed the gloomy place. It seemed that the old structure had been abandoned for a long time. The rats shot out between the broken boxes and the rusty clump that was scattered on the concrete floor. The stench of decay mingled with the salty scent of the river that came through the windows that had lost their panes long ago.

In a dark corner of the warehouse, the killer looked around nervously, his gun in one hand and the cloth bag full of stolen money in the other. Police searchlights swept across the wall he was standing behind, barely showing his profile. His shoulder was introduced into a room to avoid being surprised from behind, he stopped for a moment and looked around him expecting something, although he did not know exactly what.

Slowly, silently, Twilight descended from the ceiling with the help of a filament of cobweb. The soft sound of her feet hitting the dusty concrete floor startled the assassin, who turned and began shooting at the silhouette that had just landed right behind him.

"Who's there?!".

With her arachnid sense, Twilight knew the bullet was approaching a moment before she would leave the barrel of the weapon. She jumped away, and the shot carved into the wall she had been standing on just moments ago.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

As if it were a shooting game in a carnival booth, the killer shot Twilight over and over again. With each shot, Twilight leapt from the wall to the ceiling, to the ground, back to another wall, always avoiding the bullets thanks to her spider sense and her incredible agility.

With astonishing speed, Twilight launched herself at the assassin, making him drop the weapon with one blow. The man tried to hide in the shadows, but Twilight grabbed his shirt and lifted him off the ground.

"This is for the man you killed!" She grunted, and throwing her right fist back, she delivered a furious blow to the jaw that sent him against a still intact window, shattering the glass around her. Twilight grabbed him back instantly, picking him up again and squeezing her fist for another punch.

"Don't kill me!" the man yelled, struggling inultimately to free himself "Let me live! Let me live!"

"Did you let your victim live?" Twilight roared increasingly irate "The man who matate, would you let him live? Huh? Answer me!!".

Twilight picked up the killer with the intention of throwing him across the building when she, for the first time, could see his face, illuminated by one of the police searchlights.

Twilight Sparkle recognized the man. That blond hair and round-socketed eyes were unmistakable. He was the thief who had stolen the promoter of the matches that afternoon. He was the man Twilight had let slip away, when she could have stopped him without a hitch. He was the same man who had just killed Shining Armor.

"No..." Twilight yelled, her chest tightening, gasping "No, not you! It can't be you!".

She threw the killer against the wall, where he collapsed, right next to his weapon.

Twilight buried her face in her hands as some images came to her head: the promoter with the red face, shouting that they had just robbed him; the blond-haired thief running to the elevator, clutching a bag full of money; the security guard asking Twilight to stop the thief... And then the image of herself angry and arrogant, too preoccupied with her own problems and with the opportunity for petty revenge by letting the malefactor escape. One last image flashed through her mind: Shining Armor's body slumped in the street.

The killer stood up and pointed his gun at Twilight, who was walking in her direction, furious. The gunman pulled the trigger. A small click echoed through the huge open-plan building. The gun no longer had bullets.

Twilight continued toward him with her fists clenched and her chin pressed to her chest. The killer stumbled back, still clutching the money bag. He then he tripped over an old piece of wood and fell through a low window.

Twilight reached out to hold him, but it was too late. The killer met his own death by crashing into a wooden pier several meters below. The bills fluttered out of the bag and fell to the ground around his limp body.

On the river, a police boat shone its spotlights on the window from which Twilight looked at the corpse.

"There is another one!" a ship officer shouted at his companion, and pointed his pistol at the silhouette of the window "I told you there were two!"

The second officer raised his gun, but the silhouette in the window had already disappeared.


Twilight Sparkle sat on a stone gargoyle protruding from a nearby roof, her head buried in her hands again. The deafening noise of the city of Canterlot City faded to almost silence. The only sound in her ears was her own voice.

"Shining Armor..." she whispered as tears slid through her fingers to her makeshift disguise "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..."

After a long time, she got up and started down the side of the building. Once on the sidewalk, she headed home, wondering how she was going to tell Cadance about all that had happened.

Author's Note:

Twilight and I when I finished the chapter: