• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 1,147 Views, 30 Comments

Lost Family, Part 1 - FanofAwesomeness

  • ...
1
 30
 1,147

Defenses Crumbling

The forest was darker than he thought it would be. There was a lot of dark energies. This forest was a dangerous place to be. But that didn't matter.

He had to find what he was looking for. If it wasn't here, he would have to go to some place on the other end of the country. It had to be here. And it is.

There it is, Nightwolf thought. The genezing. A powerful healing plant that could heal any injury, no matter how bad. "What is that?" a familiar voice said from behind him.

"Protegat!" Nightwolf yelled, jumping back and facing the pony behind him. A large, green shield had popped up in front of him, blocking any attacks thrown at him.

"Calm down," Twilight said. "I just went by your house, only to see you leaving."

"Yeah, well I was planning on collwcting a few herbs," Nightwolf mentioned. "And what were you doing by my house?"

"I was thinking about you and thought we should talk," she said. "Is it a crime to want to talk?"

"It's not a crime, but I thought we agreed to meet tomorrow to talk," Nightwolf mentioned their earlier agreement.

"I guess I forgot," she answered.

Strange, Nightwolf thought. She didn't seem like the kind of mare to forget something like that. "So what did you want to talk about?"

"That magic thing you did," the purple mare replied quickly. "I was thinking that maybe you could show me a little bit more"

"What?" Nightwolf asked, turning back to look at her. Something isn't right.

He was barely able to keep himself upright when he saw a slight flicker run across Twilight's body. That's not Twilight. "Who are you?" he said,bringing the shield back up. "And what have you done with my sister's friend?"

"What do you mean?" came a double-voice. "I'm Twilight Sparkle."

"What did you do with her?!" Nightwolf nearly screamed. Her eyes were no longer purple, but a reptilian green.

The creature stayed silent, grinning.

"Did you really thnk that disguise would work?" Nightwolf said, reaching for his knife. "It has to be someone I love, changeling."

"Nightwolf?" the thing said, mimicing Twilight's voice. It grinned madly and dived at him, discarding it's disguise. Nightwolf ducked and rolled out of the way, standing up with his armed hoofin front of him in one, fluid motion. But it was gone.

"Where are you?!" Nightwolf yelled into the forest. Then he realized what it was really doing. It had been a distraction.

Nightwolf took to the skies faster than ever, burning a hole in the trees above on impact. Speeding back to town, He could only think of one thing. His sister was in danger.
~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|

Rainbow couldn't stop thinking that she caused her brother to act in such a way as to defend himself with her friend. Maybe she had gotten a little carried away.

But maybe Nightwolf was just that kind of pony that would try to do anything to win. Something was't right though. He was hiding something even bigger than why he used Twilight as a shield.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The books were finally in order when Twilight heard a knock on her door. Strange, thought the unicorn. Not many ponies will interrupt me when I'm re-shelving.

When she opened the door, Rainbow dash was standing there. She was looking around and dashed inside the second the door opened. "Hey rainbow. I'm good. Sure you can come in," Twilight said, acting as if they had actually spoken. After closing the door, she noticed how worried the pegasus looked. "What's wrong, Rainbow?"

"Have you seen my brother lately?" Rainbow asked.

"Why do you ask? I thought you didn't want anything to do with him."

"I don't know. Something just doesn't feel right. Something's happened."

"What's happened?"

"I don't know," Dash said. "He told me to not let anything strange get past me, but I don't know what do do. He hasn't spoken to me since and I think he might be in trouble."

"He spoke to you?" Twilight started. "How in Equestria did he talk to you?"

"I don't know," Dash replied. "He spoke to me in my head."

"In your head," Twilight said. "You're sure about this?"

"Of course I'm sure!" Rainbow said. "You think I'm crazy, don't you?"

"Well ponies can't just talk to other ponies through telepathy," Twilight stated.

"Pegasi also can't preform magic. But he did. Something happened, and I need to know what."
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

"Rainbow!" Nightwolf screamed into the empty cloud home. "Where are you? I need to talk to you!" He was answered with more emptyness. "Come on! Answer me!"

"How did you know where my house is?" Rainbow Dash asked from behind him. Nightwolf turned around so quickly he created a draft.

"Thank Celestia you're all right," Nightwolf said, taking his sister in a tight embrace. "Wait."

"What?" Rainbow asked as Nightwolf backed up and looked his sister in the eye.

"What day of the week were you born on?"

"How the hay should I know that?" she answered.

"Just checking. I had to make sure it was the real you," he explained. "I know what we're up against. One tried to attack me earlier."

"What is it?" she asked.

"You should know. You're one of them," Nightwolf told her. He flung a potion at her. When it broke and splashed over her face, it revealed the changeling behind the disguise. "My sister knows wha day of the week se was born on! How many of you are there? What do you want with this town? Why are you here?"

He was barely able to get his words out before it hissed and charged him, throwing him off balance. Nightwolf rolled out of his fall and thrust his hoof forward. "Ligatis!" Nightwolf screamed at it. Vines made of clouds burst up and wrapped around the changeling before it could get out the window. "Answer me!"

"You cannot comprehend what we can do, Balancer!" it said, powering up it's horn and severing the bindings.

"Mil-eo!" The thing slammed against a wall, sending cloud puffs up around it. "Gabháil cruach!" Steel bars produced themselves from the clouds. "Ūrjā vicchēda karavō!" Nightwolf screamed, stopping the cutting spell it was about to preform. He was beginning to lose focus. Too much more magic use would throw him into unconsious. "Answer my question."

"You will never recieve answers from me," it hissed. "Your barriers will fall withn a matter of days. My sacrifice will only bring forth your faliure. Even now, you fail to see your crumbling defenses. You think you can stop us. You will perish with the rest that defy us!" it crunched a tooth and started shaking. soon it began to completely dissipate. "You will perish."