• Published 12th Aug 2021
  • 267 Views, 16 Comments

Ashes and Embers - Bronycommander



When two worlds collide an innocent pony has to fight a war that isn't his to find his way home. But as he tries to solve the mystery of how he ended up in the alternate world he begins to question everything.

  • ...
1
 16
 267

Chapter 3 mission

Chapter 3 mission

Without a word, Fletcher followed a guard to a landing platform, where an airship was being prepared for him.

“Okay, the flight will only take a day but due to the storms, you will have to take the rest of the journey on your own. That could take you anywhere between two and five, depending on how close we can get.” The pilot explained.

Fletcher just nodded, staying silent. Inside, the airship was very basic. There was a cabin for flight control with all needed base equipment for navigation, the walls had a dull grey color, with the small crew quarters being composed of steel beds, not that Fletcher minded.

The flight itself was quiet as well, with him helping the pilot with maintenance work if needed.

But in his mind, the stallion was conflicted. He had done plenty of wet work before but this…felt wrong. It was not his war to fight, and to take a life of a different universe to alter the balance of the war wasn’t right.

He knew what was about to happen, what he was about to do. Did he have any doubts? Any private, traitorous thoughts? Perhaps, but he didn’t say a word.

“Sorry but you have to get out now, I can’t get you any closer.” Fletcher startled slightly as the voice of the pilot tore him out, yet nodded and rappelled down into the snowy mountains, noticing that the sun was setting.

Having been provided with a winter coat for the cold and provisions for the journey, he made his way indicated on a provided map, alert of any wild animal.

However, the start of his journey proved to be lifeless, setting up a tent with heater to rest the much colder night, knowing that it would not be well for his health if he continued.

His sleep was peaceful, and for a few minutes after waking he thought of his friends, hoping that they were not too worried for him.

With the morning sun shining through the tent, he yawned and breakfasted, being on his way again. The only threat was the steady cold creeping through him but his winter coat kept him warm.

But despite the freezing environment, Fray could not help but admire the mountainous terrain he had to travel through. It had a certain beauty that hid its deadly nature, the cold that barely anypony could survive.

It reminded him of the mission where he had to save Dinky and her friends in the Russian winter of 1941, barely having avoided becoming victim of the deadly cold of -40 degrees, had it not been for Ifrit.

As if sensing his worry, Ifrit’s voice sounded again, “Don’t worry, Fletcher, I got your back.”

The snow never seemed to stop, lying heavy on his shoulders, but the Eternal Knight pushed on, taking regular breaks to stay warm. He could not remember the last time he had a mission in such an environment in Equestria. Still, having been born with an interest in exploration, he was experienced with cold environments, so it was not much of a problem for him.

The sun barely shined through the snow, making it tricky to know what time it was.

As the end of the second day approached, a weak smile formed on his lips. The Crystal Castle was visible in the distance, meaning he was not far away now.

Despite still a bit sleepy in the next morning, Fletcher wasted no time to get towards the Crystal Empire as soon as possible, yet watched his energy, still taking breaks to preserve it.

His eyes noticed the odd color of the sky around the Empire, auburn. A slight shiver went down his spine, taking a deep breath as he knew this wasn’t normal.

Here we go…no turning back.

Fletcher stumbled a bit in surprise as the warmth of the empire crept through his body, quickly removing his winter coat to avoid overheating, then moved into a nearby alleyway to remain hidden.

Due to his experience, it was easy to move from alley to alley, cover to cover to stay unseen yet noticed that the citizen did not look particularly fearful. While their coats and manes were not as bright as he remembered from his visits to the Crystal Empire in his world - a sign that something was amiss and the light and love that powered the Crystal Heart was not as strong - the citizens were happy chatting and going about their daily lives as if nothing was wrong. Odd, he thought to himself.

There were some crystal guards patrolling, Their silver armor made them easy to spot and avoid.

However, Fletcher stopped briefly at the sight of a guard dressed from head to tail in black armor, with spikes along the back and on the shoulders. Its head was covered entirely by the helmet, glowing green slits where the eyes were supposed to be.

It took only a second for Fletcher to realize what this glow meant. Mind control.

He was once told by his relative Wagensroll, that when Starlight Glimmer attempted to change the past, one alt-universe was that Sombra forced his Crystal Pony subjects to launch an all-out war on Equestria, with the soldiers using that exact armor.

“H-hey, anything to report?” The regular guard asked with unease in his voice, trembling slightly.

“Nothing to report.” The black-armored guard replied, his voice emotionless.

“Those mind-controlled guards are probably more skilled than the regular due to the dark magic controlling them. Proceed with caution, Fletcher.” Ifrit warned him.

The archer knew his target location, the king and his ally would undoubtedly be located at the castle.

Finding a dark alleyway with a good view of it, his eyes went up to see a pony who he assumed was King Sombra and what mare on a balcony, but the distance made it impossible to make out any details. They seemed to overlook the empire.

An easy shot, yet it could be a trap. But again, this might be my only chance.

Fletcher took a deep breath, taking aim, there was no turning back as he took aim with an arrow.

Exhaling, he fired, watching as his arrow flow towards the heads of his target.

It would be quick and painless, and the war he had been dragged into would finish, and he’d be able to go home.

The arrow hit its intended mark, causing Fletcher’s eyes to go wide.

It flew right through them.

“What the?” Before he could proceed it, both ponies vanished in a purple flash and several hoof steps greeted his ears.

“Move in!” Several guards surrounded him, all armed with spears that had a blue tip, many of them wearing the black armor with spikes, some others stood on rooftops, armed with bow and arrow like him.

“Lay down your weapon and surrender, there is no need for violence.” One of the regular guards yelled at him. “The King will be merciful.”

Fletcher carefully looked around, considering his options.

Quick as lighting, he shot several arrows on the nearest guards, they screamed in pain before falling twitching to the ground, the spiked armored once struggled a bit before collapsing. The arrows broke in two upon impact.

They were non-lethal arrows, easily noticeable as the tips were colored in dark blue, working like a stun gun. The guards were only doing their job and he wouldn’t kill them for it, while the masked ones not in control of their actions.

Ducking to dodge an arrow fired at him, he returned it, taking three archers out in quick succession, then switched to his spear to block a strike from a regular guard, clashing spears, both pushed for dominance.

His opponent was way stronger, slowly managing to push him down. Yet the knight reacted quickly, his horn glowed and fired a stun spell, making the guard stumble. With a cry of pain, he got pushed to the ground by Fray.

Fletcher did his best to dodge and counter but he knew the guards outnumbered him and he was not sure how long he could last.

Suddenly, the guards stopped their attacks, yet kept him surrounded and he tensed himself for what would come next.

“Above you!” Ifrit warned and out of the corner of his eye, the green stallion noticed a batpony in the same black spiked armor- except for the helmet - diving towards him. Having only seconds to spare, he rolled out of the way before blocking her strike, her sword and his spear clashing.

“I’m impressed, Fletcher Fray, but I’m not going to let you fight. You can still surrender, you know.” The mare spoke softly. He noticed for the first time the deep contrast between her dull green fur and her bright purple eyes. She smiled sincerely, although he suspected that it was just an act to earn his trust. “You’ll be treated fairly, you have my word.”

Yet, before Fletcher could form any reply, Ifrit appeared behind him, firing a garish spell. As expected, the mare cried out in pain, allowing Fray to push her back.

But she recovered quickly, attempting to strike back, which he blocked with effort. Again, they clashed and the mare, to his surprise, spoke up.

“I’m so, so sorry about this.”

His brain had no time to process this sudden response, as suddenly, he felt a great searing pain in his head. He clutched it and screamed. Somehow, despite the pain, he managed to look up, his eyes becoming small. He found himself in a burning forest. “No…this can’t be…”

“Fletcher!” A young voice cried out in panic. “Help!”

In fear and surprise, he looked around, trying to locate the voice as the fire seemed to come closer, circling him, the heat coming closer and closer, he could feel it.

A deafening roar made him twitch. Fletcher screamed at a fireball flying towards him trying to cover himself from the imminent impact, as he faintly noticed a green/purple glow around it.

With a very loud and painful scream, he fell to the ground, panting, his body aching as his vision became blurry and slowly faded.

The last thing he saw was the mare standing over him. He heard her voice again, soft and sweet and, for some reason, apologetic.

“Listen, Fletcher, I know you’re still there. I know you’re exhausted and confused and in pain and probably panicking as well, but I’ll explain everything for you later. Just relax for now. You’re tired, and you need to sleep for a while. I promise, this will all make sense once you’ve had some time to rest.”

He tried to argue, but consciousness slipped from him and he embraced the welcoming feeling of sleep.

Moonlight looked down at the unconscious stallion and sighed. Finally, it was over. It had taken a spear enchanted to stun opponents as well as two doses of the mind control spell to subdue him - definitely a first. But now he was here, away from Celestia’s filthy hooves, and she could relax a little.

“Take him to one of the guest rooms, and keep an eye on his vitals, ” she ordered. “This stun spear could have affected his heart. The last thing anypony needs is for him to lose his life at the last hurdle.”

She looked at him one last time, then turned away. Now she had to figure out what she was going to say when he was awake.