• Published 31st Jul 2021
  • 472 Views, 20 Comments

The Adventure Continues - Dragon Shimmer



The heroes team welcome to new member in ... unsual way

  • ...
18
 20
 472

The Final Frontier(2)

Sunset groans as she slowly rolls over to her feet. After escaping the sphere, the dragon is still slightly out of breath but forces herself to move. Nearby, Nolegs is hissing, and that can only mean trouble. Sunset is amazed at the destruction caused by the last battle. Her teammates are still recovering, so the dragon places her mana renewal potion bag in Natalie’s hands. Together with Nolegs, they move to intercept the threat.

There is a lot of red-colored debris in the courtyard, so Sunset flaps her wings to clear the air. As a result, this worsens things, so she stops. A toxic mixture of powdery dust from crushed marble decorations and high-altitude fog makes the adventurer’s eyes water. Sunset’s bag contains eyewash but is currently in Natalie’s hands. “I think my friends need medicine more right now,” muses the dragon. Sunset’s eyes sting despite her protective goggles as she checks on Nolegs. To better scan for danger, Nolegs positions himself between Sunset’s horns. Sunset can feel the cat’s anxiety but steps calmly through the debris to avoid aggravating him. All seems strangely quiet.

A squishing sound catches their attention. The two grip their weapons as they move cautiously forward. An odd noise emanates from one of the larger pieces of the defeated golem. However, the noise stops abruptly before the crooked block of clay flops over with a lethargic splat. After a moment of eerie silence, another strange noise emanates from a different location. This time a small lump of clay starts to glow red before sluggishly floating upwards. It also occurs on several other chunks nearby.

Suddenly, one of the floating pieces hurtles through the air before colliding with a wall. Sunset, with Nolegs in tow, jumps to evade the projectile. Other pieces follow the first. However, they aim not at the heroes but at another part of the fallen golem. The lumps stick to the wall like unwelcome pimples before sliding down to create a growing puddle. Soon more clay lumps start to migrate into the area. The pair quickly realize what is happening and move away.

Nolegs jumps from Sunset’s head and attacks one of the larger monster pieces. The dragon does the same to a second piece to keep them from merging. A combination of ‘Wyvern Slashes’ and a ‘Cat’s Finale’ attack causes the larger chunks to explode. The feline quickly travels back to his dragon friend’s back before they both escape the blast. Using a delicate motion, Sunset glides over some debris and into another corner of the enormous courtyard.

Both of them congratulate one another for preventing the monster from reforming. The result of their attacks destroys the larger clay pieces. Nolegs meows in triumph from atop Sunset’s head. However, their victory was short-lived. A breeze starts to move across a section of the otherwise quiet area. Nolegs looks confused and glances around.

Several of the crimson clay pieces start levitating again. Sadly, the explosions only made the fragments smaller and more numerous. The elements begin to twirl in the air with increasing momentum. Other parts of the fallen golem also start to glow. Sunset and Nolegs look up in alarm at a growing column of noxious fog and other loose debris. Soon, a tsunami is roaring across the area.

Sunset does her best to dodge the debris lodged in the storm’s high winds. Nolegs hold onto her horns as they avoid the sharp projectiles that were once elegant artworks. Additionally, the current produces a haze of choking marble dust that thwarts any magic chants. Sunset and Nolegs struggle with the fine powder choking their throats and eyes. The feline ‘meows’ as he narrowly avoids a flying spear. A metal shaft brushes against his ear before burying itself in a nearby wall. After several minutes of close calls, the pair are tired. As a result of flying shrapnel and low visibility, Sunset cannot see where she can teleport or fly safely.

Sunset searches desperately for shelter in the whiteout. She crawls on the ground to avoid being blown away by the wind. Flying is out of the question as her last few attempts to open her wings result in painful collisions with pieces of the random bombardment encircling them. The dragon keeps her head down as much as possible to protect Nolegs. They both prepare for the unthinkable when the ground beneath them shakes.

Massive chunks of rock emerged from the ground in front of the trapped adventurers. The stones grow until they reach several meters in height. In addition to blocking projectiles, the impromptu wall protects the pair from severe wind gusts. A light grey figure stumbles out of the storm into the shelter. The man shakes some of the dust before kneeling next to the duo.

“Lance!” Beams Sunset before starting to cough again.

“Special delivery!” shouts the gunner over the din as he holds up a familiar pouch.

Sunset gratefully accepts her medicine bag and quickly locates a tonic for her beleaguered passenger. While Nolegs is drinking the potion, Sunset notices the stone barrier is getting cooler. Lance looks at both of them and grins.

As it gets colder, the wind dies down. Sunset soon figures out what is happening. Nolegs moves back on top of her horns and tries to get comfortable as the temperature around them drops. As the ice starts covering everything, he looks at the team questioningly.

Lance’s scanner beeps all clear, so the three of them leave the rocky enclave. Sunset smirks when she sees several other rocky outcroppings have appeared. The area has changed from a disorganized mess of rubble to a complete disaster. Several sharp-looking objects are now tacked to the wall by gummy arrows. Without the wind, the abrasive dust settles into piles. Lance moves around to stabilize the mounds with his ice gun after Anna hits them with water arrows.

A tall frozen tower of ice dominates the area. Sunset waves at the source of the winter wonderland. Natalie waves back. The mage’s staff is still casting enchantments. Standing behind her is the last member of the team, who waves enthusiastically despite also gripping an embedded sword.

“Hey, Sun-girl!” Calls Matt gleefully. “You didn’t invite us to the party, but that’s OK. We forgive you!”


A loud noise awoke Amelia. She grumbled, despite being awakened from her comfortable bed. Her absence from the desk made her unhappy. Separating her from her essential plans irritates the cat. Projects she had been working on for several days. She scratched her ears in annoyance at the interruption. Why did her sister have to treat her like such a kitten? After rolling out of bed, Amelia searches for the source of the interruption.

A soft glow comes from the room next door. Amelia carefully peeks around the corner and observes her sibling Diana in front of the all-seeing globe. Worried about getting caught spying, the black cat waits impatiently for the snowy cat to depart. Finally, her sister yawns and retires to her room. Observing Diana wrap a blanket around herself and climb back into bed, Amelia uses the opportunity to slip into the room.

Amelia is usually uninterested in the events playing out in the orb; however, her curiosity gets the better of her. Something had captured her sister’s attention—a rare thing. After first checking if her sister is asleep, the black cat carefully casts a silent spell before gliding to the sphere.

Only to perceive the human-lings, the traitor cat-ling, and the dragon-ling engaged in some musical activity. "Such frivolities are a waste of time," murmurs the black cat. “Soon, they are going to perish.” Amelia quietly checks if her sister is still asleep and gingerly closes the door to the room. “Better check on the invaders again just to be safe.” She reasons. The uncertainty in her eyes contrasts with the cat’s stoic face.

With flickering light and colors reflecting on her black velvet fur, Ameila returns to her observations. The trespassers into her domain are still singing, except that now the dragon-ling and the traitor cat-ling are dancing together. Their expressions of joy radiate a warmth that overcomes the chilly night air. In the midst of this happy scene, Ameila feels a stabbing sensation in her chest and cannot stop watching it. Despite the orb only projecting images, the feline can feel the melody, the enjoyment and the warm friendships. She doesn't realize she's back in her bedroom for a few minutes. She rubs her head in confusion, but stops when she sees an unfamiliar substance on her paws.

“HOW DARE THEY!” screams the black cat.

Before flopping back on her bed to pout, the enraged cat vaporizes an elegantly carved shelf stacked with trinkets and several wall hangings. She wipes away the remainder of her tears. After a while, she reaches under her bed for another catnip energy drink. Her sister always harps on her about drinking too many of them, but that is nonsense.

Amelia doesn’t bother to levitate herself and stomps on an empty can. It is comforting to feel the cool floor on her paws. Yet, the light from the nearby room beckons her with a call that she cannot ignore. When she leaves the room, she kicks the now-discarded item. It slides along the tiled floor to join the others hidden under the bed.

Onyx cat is taunted by the flickering light emanating from the orb as she approaches. This powerful charm can reveal any event. Images of migrating birds, a vast plain filled with beautiful flowers, and schools of colored fish fill the room. However, Amelia can only think of one occasion she wants to witness. The cat ignores the trembling in her paws. In an instant, a scene filled with eccentric musicians appears. Despite the orb’s fullness of exultant creatures, the black cat could see only two. Her anger grew at the sight of their happiness. They are dancing; how dare they? Her rage grows as Amelia watches the dragon-ling and the traitor cat-ling blissfully twirling in the majestic hall. Her silent wish is for them to stop.

Only when she sees her sister’s door does she calm down a bit. However, an unnoticed shadow slithers along the floor. It moves out of the room, down the hallway, and finally out of the tower. Unaffected by the bitter cold, the shadow merges with other shadows to carry out its mission and stop the dragon’s joy.





A fire warms the shivering team members. They have moved to a more sheltered area to escape the ice. Unfortunately, no one noticed a black form escaping from the ice tower. Nolegs is contently wrapped in Anna’s cloak. While others focus on making a hot drink, Sunset rummages through her potion inventory. Many of her healing tonics have been used, and her energy mixtures are running low. The dragon is feeling weary as the only one without a good night's rest. “I can wait a little longer to drink one...” Consider Sunset.

The friends' blissful break with a hot drink that is miraculously undoctored by Matt is cut short by the sound of tumbling rocks. All else is forgotten except the approaching danger.

The sound of heavy footsteps approaches the team. With each step, the ground shakes more violently. Weapons are hurriedly gathered in anticipation of the upcoming fight behind a large divider. Abruptly, the shaking stops, and there is a long silent pause. Suddenly, a pair of stone hands burst through the barrier, and a monstrous blood red golem with glowing eyes sticks its head through the crack.

“Ah! What gives?” Yells Anna. “We already fought this guy.”

“You’re right! Plus, it’s powered up!” Replies Natalie.

Projectiles fly haphazardly from the monster’s huge fists as it slams into the floor. Matt and Sunset hastily erect an earthen barrier to block the attacks. In response, the golem picks up a fallen metal statue and melts the materal in it’s hands. The golem roars at the team before charging at the shelter with a fire hammer. The make-shift shelter holds up long enough for the remaining team members to ready themselves.

As the earthen fortress falls, the golem is attacked with missles and a water cannon. The enraged monster blocks the attack with it’s weapon. Stream blasts from the fire hammer, filling the chamber with fog as it breaks apart. The red golem picks up the metal pieces to heat them up in his hands once more. After the metal is heated up again the monster steps backwards and throws the shards into the air.

“INCOMING!” shouts Lance.

Fiery metal shafts rain down on the team, causing them to scatter. Anna and Nolegs are the first to retaliate. The archer quickly shoots at the remaining metal pieces. Glue arrows make them stick to the floor, so the monster has trouble picking them up to use. Nolegs runs up the golem's arm to distract it, but the cat's sword does not affect the monster's rocky hide. The monster completely ignores the cats antics and rummages for the rest of the team.

Another rocket shot from Lance and a blast from Matt get the golem’s attention. While they continue to fire and dash to the next cover, Natalie is given a chance to create a new spell. The attacks are only minor damage, so Sunset teleports to its head to implement “Wyvern Slash.” Noticing the dragon, the overpowered golem’s eyes suddenly flash red. Before Sunset’s sword can reach the monster’s neck, the red golem changes into brown and blocks the attack with its arm. With its faster speed, the brown golem tries to punch the dragon. Sunset quickly swings her sword to counterattack, but the enchanted blade gets stuck in the monster’s arm. Though it has an edge embedded in its arm, the mud-like monster turns its other arm into a cannon.

Sticky balls of mud shoot out of the golem’s gun. The area is now covered with indiscriminate piles of debris that hinder the team’s movements. Nolegs gets stuck in the tacky mud, but Anna quickly pulls him out. Matt covers Lance after several of his weapons are plugged up. Taking out her staff, Sunset flies to the side of the golem pinned down by her sword and plugs it into the monster’s shoulder. She quickly chants an attraction spell that adheres onto the beast.

The crackle of power signals the team that Natalie has completed the spell. A phoenix springs out of the ground in the wake of her staff. The bird is directed to the monster by a second thump of the mage’s wand and Sunset’s attraction enchantment. Once again the golem’s eyes flash before it changes color. This time from mud brown to blue.

With its free limb, the blue golem slaps the Phoenix away. Its brown form was equipped with a cannon, but it changed into an arm when it took on its new form. Overhead the energy bird has exploded; however, Sunset is ready for this. The spell on the monster’s shoulder is quickly strengthened. Any magic discharged by the mage is now redirected. Showers of bolts turn themselves to strike the golem. In spite of its other arm being damaged by the hovering dragon, the monster remains focused.

Sunset wastes no time teleporting to the golem’s second arm and planting a second magic circle. This circle prevents the monster’s arm from regenerating. Anna supports her by plugging her bow into the ground. Numerous vines surge toward the golem, which returns to its red form.

Flames burn away the archer’s plant attack, but she summons another to replace it. Heat eminating from the golem to repels the plants and keeps most the team from getting very close. Also despite the damage to the monster’s arm, it can still shoot fireballs. Matt creates another earthen wall to protect everyone from the heat.

Sunset flies closer to the dangerous creature to distract it. Scorching bolts repeatedly hit the dragon as she orbits the golem. Her smile seems to irritate the monster further. The red golem is so focused on shooting down the dragon that it does not notice the additional layers of magic circles appearing underneath.

The dual mages silently signal each other before activating their perspective spells. Natalie’s enchantment begins on the ground and merges with the vines entangling the monster. As soon as the spell is cast, the fortified plants spring up and crush the beast's legs. Simultaneously Sunset’s embedded runes pull the top part of the golem apart. By this twisting action, the foe is reduced to a pile of rocks. The largest piece topples over and strikes the back wall. Then all becomes silent.

A triumphant cheer erupts from the team. In an auspicious move, Matt pulls his sword from the ground and collapses the temporary shelter. With his blade on his shoulders, the swordsman confidently struts through the crumbling wall. The rest of the team gathers together to celebrate their victory.

“Wow, Sunset! Great job." Calls out Anna. Nolegs ‘Mews’ from her shoulder.

“This was certainly a team effort!” Sunset motioned to Natalie as she embraced Anna and Nolegs.

“This was certainly a team effort!” Sunset remarks. She motions to Natalie as she embraces Anna and Nolegs.

“Yes, but let's stay alert!" said Natalie. The others nodded in agreement.

Lance is upset that his favorite gun is clogged with mud. His friend Matt tries to console him by showing him his 17th favorite pirate hat that is now covered in grime. The gunner is used to his friend's antics and seems slightly amused as he replaces the weapon with a backup from storage.

Matt waves his hand at the rest of the group, “Meh, see everyone! This was too easy! We can handle anything those cats throw at us!” The defiant swordsman cries. His voice echoes around the area until it is interrupted by a sound from a nearby wall. It is the same wall the last defeated golem crashed into. The crack in the wall suddenly widens, revealing two more monsters on either side -- one brown golem and one blue golem.

Just then, a group of shadows emerges from the fallen red golem. Other shades emerged from other locations carrying rocks and smashed artworks. The shadows merged into a single central form – an enormous blood-red golem. The trio of monsters bellows threateningly at the team.

“Oops.” Retorts Matt sheepishly. Natalie hits him over the head with her staff.