• Published 1st Aug 2021
  • 2,851 Views, 18 Comments

Redemption chance for Cozy Glow - NoOneKnown



Twilight and her friends visit Cozy Glow in Tartarus to give her a chance to redeem herself

  • ...
5
 18
 2,851

Getting started

It's been two days since Cozy Glow was freed from Tartarus and given a chance to become a better pony. As soon as it was done, princesses and Twilight announced it to everyone in Equestria. This news had mixed reactions - while some ponies were happy with it and glad that they showed her mercy and some ponies, who highly disapproved of their idea and were sure Cozy is beyond saving and should rot in Tartarus, the majority of Equestria's citizens didn't care about it and were completely indifferent to this news.

As for Cozy Glow, she was temporarily given a room in Twilight's Castle. Leaving the castle without any supervision was strictly forbidden for her - both for Cozy's and Equestria's safety. At Princess Luna's request, Twilight and Starlight also cast a special spell on Cutie Map, which shows the current location of Cozy's Cutie Mark - if she escaped, it would be easy for them to track her down. Twilight was skeptical of this idea, but since Princess Luna had more authority than her, she had no other choice but to obey the night ruler and inform Cozy that she will be tracked by the map.


The same day - evening

Twilight and her friends' work at School of Friendship was over and everypony went their own way.

Meanwhile Twilight was getting ready for one important task for this day - talk with Cozy Glow, find out her motive, and try to talk sense to her. Therefore she was getting ready for this conversation, thoroughly thinking about necessary questions, and preparing for Cozy to be manipulative once again.

When Twilight was ready, she flew to Cozy's room and knocked on the door.

"Come in" - Cozy's voice echoed and Twilight went in.

"Hi Cozy! How are you doing today?" - she asked

"Fine. But the weather is even better, may I go outside for a while, please?" - Cozy said with a pleading tone of voice and with the cutest smile she could make

"Listen, I know that you want to go and fly without caring about anything, but for now you mustn't until I know you won't cause any trouble. For now, however, I want you to come with me"

The filly asked "Where?"

"To my office in this castle. We need to talk."

Cozy shivered at Twilight's statement. She thought the alicorn is going to scold her or do something even worse than that.

After 5 minutes, they both entered Twilight's office. Purple alicorn sat on her chair, while Cozy was given a seat right in front of her.

"Cozy, the very first thing to do in reforming a villain is knowing their motives. We only know that you think of friendship as power and about that whole "Empress-of-Friendship" thing. Could you explain that?"

"I just wanted power - that's it" - Cozy reluctantly answered

"Are you sure? Cozy, I know it's not just about the power. You can tell me"

She didn't want to do it, but she also knew that lying would only make it worse, so she decided to tell Twilight the truth.

"As I said - I wanted power. I saw what magic wielders are capable of, like Starlight with removing Cutie Marks or by traveling in time - I wanted that, I desired that. Using magic makes unicorns' lives easier because they don't have to grab things with their hooves. But I'm just a pegasus - all that my useless form can do is flying. That made me jealous and I thought to myself - if I can't have magic, then no one will! That's why I contacted Tirek" - Cozy's eyes got watery after finishing her outburst.

Twilight was completely shocked by what Cozy has just said.

"No Cozy, you don't understand. Everyone has their tasks in their life, no matter if that's a unicorn, earth pony, pegasus, or non-pony creature. But what also matters, mostly for you, is that you also have your very own magic"

"I don't! I can't cast spells, except that for stealing magic, but actually, it doesn't count, because it was a scroll enchanted by Tirek."

"Magic isn't only about casting spells. Controlling weather - the main pegasi task - also requires magic. Even tending land is earth ponies' magic. It's impossible to grow crops using spells - it makes food inedible." - Twilight explained

"Wait! You're saying that flapping my wings, moving clouds, and making rain and snow is thanks to magic?"

"Yes. You see - your pegasus magic lets you fly up in the air, but also lets your wings swing correctly and balance your flight. When it comes to controlling the weather...well - some unicorns also can do it, but results, compared to pegasi work, are far from good"

Cozy was speechless for a while, but then she asked

"So, if my scheme was successful and all the magic disappeared from Equestria, would there be no magic at all?"

"Exactly. Not only rendering unicorns useless, but also pegasi wouldn't be able to control the weather, and earth ponies won't be able to grow crops. Magic was predicted to vanish after the sunset. So, if you managed to destroy all the magic, Equestria would be covered in eternal night, with extreme weather anomalies like a thunderstorm with golfball-sized hail rain and everything combined with widespread famine - it wouldn't be the best place to live in or rule, would it?

Cozy Glow was once again speechless. She didn't know about the other consequences of her action. Tirek only wrote that unicorns and alicorns won't have their magic, but what she didn't realize was removing other ponies' magic. The feeling of nearly crushing guilt appeared in her mind.

"Oh! I mean - wow. I didn't want to. I thought the only magic that I tried to get rid of would be this for casting spells. Tirek swore it will only do that, not wipe out all the magic." - She looked at her former headmare with a really sad expression - "Twilight, I'm so sorry!"

At this point, Cozy Glow couldn't hold it anymore - she jumped onto the floor and laid on her belly while covering her face with her forelegs and wept. Now she realized just how wrong she was. Vision with her almost destroying all the Equestria - her home, her motherland, dooming her friends, teachers, and herself for some wicked desires were going round and round in Cozy's head.
Twilight was surprised by her sudden change of demeanor, but she was glad that Cozy realized her mistakes. Or it seemed like that.

She walked to still-bawling filly to check whether she's not acting - just in case - but she wasn't. These were real sobs of pure sadness and regret. As for Cozy, except for crying her heart out, she was also tearfully mumbling for forgiveness.

Cozy didn't have time to react before Twilight reached for her, picked her up, and wrapped her forelegs around this filly in a loving embrace. Cozy was still babbling unintelligible sentences. After a while, she calmed down enough to speak.

"I-I'm so...so sor-ry, I-I...I re-really ah-eh-h-m!..."

"Shhh...I've got you, Cozy." - Twilight soothed stroking her mane

Eventually, Cozy stopped wailing but was still held close by Twilight

"I know you hate me for what I've done, but I'm really sorry"

"Cozy, I don't hate you. If I did, would I hug you like that? I have never hated you - when I found out your scheme, I was disappointed and felt betrayed, but hate is a very strong word, don't you think?" - Twilight said and released Cozy from the embrace

"Maybe you're right. Once again - I'm sorry. I really didn't know it would doom Equestria"

"I see you are. But apologizing isn't enough to make up for your deeds. You also have to work for forgiveness. Luckily, we won't do that today. I just want you to explain one more thing before we finish"

"I'm listening"

"Just how it was possible for you to contact Tirek. I mean Equestrian Postal Service doesn't send letters to Tartarus, mainly because there's magic that blocks access for delivery ponies - so how did you do that?"

Cozy was more than eager to tell her - mostly because she was mad at Tirek for fooling her and nearly making her destroy Equestria.

"I got a letter from him, just after Hearth's Warming. He explained that there's some lack of security in Tartarus which allows to send letters from there. He didn't explain how did he get paper or quills to write them though. I still have every letter he sent to me - you can read them if you want."

"I can't do that - these are your private messages, if I did, I would basically violate the secrecy of your correspondence" - Twilight said

"You have my permission to check them. It might help prevent magic from disappearing and maybe even improve security in Tartarus, so he won't try to contact anyone again." - Cozy reassured

"If you want that, then I will check them. Where do you have these letters?"

"In my dormitory at the school. Can we go there now?"

"Sure. Just let me take the keys."

With that being said, Twilight and Cozy Glow headed towards the School of Friendship. When they arrived, Twilight used the key to open Cozy's dormitory - it was mostly clean, with several books lying on the floor and thin layer of dust on the floor, bed and desk. It wasn't any surprise for Twilight and Cozy, because this room was locked for over a month.

"Here are these letters" - Cozy said while giving small box to Twilight - "I promise they aren't forged"

Twilight grabbed the box with her magic and opened it, revealing some parchments.

"Look - that's very least I can do for you. I know I won't be going back to your school" - Cozy said

"I never said that" - Twilight replied, confusing Cozy - "actually, you're still a student"

"B-but how? Wasn't I expelled?"

"You were only thrown into Tartarus. Why do you think I was visiting you every 3 days and giving you exercises and taking your already finished tasks?"

"To prevent me from being bored?" - she tried to guess

"Well yes, but actually to prevent you from having backlogs in your studies. And honestly you were doing great!"

"Really?" - Cozy asked. Twilight didn't respond, only nodded and glanced at the watch.

"Okay Cozy. I think it's time to go back to the castle. It's getting quite late and you need some sleep"

"What am I going to do tomorrow?" - Cozy asked

"You will see..." - Twilight relied with soft smile, but quickly reassured her - "don't worry - nothing bad is going to happen to you."

After a while, they both returned to Twilight's castle and were getting ready to sleep.

When Cozy Glow laid on the bed, she was thinking about the recent events.

"Golly, Twilight is very nice to me after everything I've done - she gave me a room in her castle, comforted me when I bursted into tears at her office" - she smiled - "she really believes I can change and I will show her she's right about that!"

Within 5 minutes Cozy Glow was already asleep.

Author's Note:

Well, that was tough to write, but I somehow managed to write it.

UPDATE - spelling/interpunction fixes