• Published 19th Jul 2021
  • 2,013 Views, 190 Comments

Piece by Piece - Eltirions



There's a lot wrong with the world. Rarity intends on making sure her small part of it is less wrong than the rest, one step at a time.

  • ...
2
 190
 2,013

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35: Awakening 7

13 December 1008

Once again, they were on board a train headed to a city in the Crystal Empire. This time, however, Lilac was already familiar with the city they were heading towards, thankfully.

She was writing a report on the state of Rainbow Falls; she'd gathered a good deal of information even though their stay had been cut short, and by the time they arrived she would be ready to present her work to Rarity.

Ocellus was sprawled over a couch, reading from a book that Lilac did not recognise. ‘’What do you have there?’’

‘’Imperial History, Volume One,’’ Ocellus replied. ‘’It’s required reading for my History class. The book’s as boring as it is dense.’’

‘’What chapter are you on now?’’ I might have to steal that book, truth be told.

‘’It’s talking about Emperor Amoriac the second. Apparently he fought off, and I quote ‘many brazen attacks on the settlements established in the west under the reign of his grandfather, Emperor Amoriac the first.’ This was in… 354 BLB.’’

‘’Ancient history, then.’’

Ocellus shrugged. ‘’Apparently. Doesn’t really interest me though, truth be told.’’

Lilac thought back to some of her own history courses, long ago. ‘’Perhaps this Amoriac fought Changelings too, then. I read once that our hives were further south and east once.’’

‘’Really? Huh, interesting…’’

There was a knock on the door. ‘’Come in!’’

Captain Darkheart.

‘’Good day, ma’am,’’ the stallion greeted. ‘’I would ask you some questions, if you’re not busy.’’

‘’Certainly not, Captain. Please, have a seat. Sugar, make room for the Captain.’’

Darkheart sat down on the couch as Ocellus retreated to one side of it, still immersed in her book. ‘’Ma’am, I’m here because I’ve a few questions I want to ask that I haven’t got around to yet.’’ The Thestral gave a very charming smile. ‘’Question one is the following; tell me about yourself. What brings two Changelings to the Crystal Empire.’’

Shit.

‘’Changelings? I don’t kno-’’

‘’The Governess informed me of your particular nature already,’’ Darkheart cut in, ‘’and I have already gotten the basics of your story from her, but I need details.’’

‘’Such as?’’

‘’Anything you wish to tell me, but I am particularly interested in any knowledge you have of military or industrial efforts.’’ Darkheart’s eyes gleamed in the light. ‘’I was stationed in Canterlot during Chrysalis’ invasion; I saw what Changelings can do.’’

For a moment, Lilac was intensely aware they were in a train filled with soldiers loyal to their Empress above anyone else, and that the Captain was probably skilled enough to kill both of them on his own.

‘’So, of course, you understand that I have professional and personal interest both in these matters,’’ Darkheart continued. ‘’Now, tell me everything.’’

Lilac didn’t immediately speak; instead she considered. Considered what to say, considered how to say it, and then said: ‘’Of course. Shall I start at the beginning?’’

|-x-X-x-|

13 December 1008

Flurry’s tired form was slumped against Rainbow’s side, and that was just about the only thing keeping her from shouting at Rarity.

She settled for a mighty scowl instead.

Rarity, for her part, was determinedly looking out of the window, avoiding Rainbow’s gaze as she had been doing ever since she’d announced they were leaving for Crystal City immediately.

‘’Are you going to keep staring out of that window?’’

No response.

‘’Rares.’’

No response.

‘’Rarity…’’

No. fucking. Response.

Rainbow bit back a swearing tirade that would have definitely woken up the child by her side. Instead, she reached out with her wings and flicked one of them at Rarity’s face.

That finally got a reaction from her. ‘’Don’t do that!’’ she hissed, without turning to face Rainbow.

‘’Then don’t ignore me.’’

‘’I’m not ignoring you.’’

‘’Well you are, unless you happen to have become sporadically deaf.’’

Rarity let out an aggravated sigh. ‘’What do you want me to say, Rainbow?’’

‘’Tell me what Nightmare Moon said!’’

‘’Not so loud, you’ll wake Flurry up,’’ Rarity snapped at her. ‘’And I already told you all of it. Thrice.’’

‘’Tell me again.’’

‘’Hearing it again will not change the message.’’

‘’I don’t believe it,’’ Rainbow stated. ‘’I refuse to.’’ Twilight couldn’t, wouldn’t, do those things. It was impossible. Twilight Sparkle hurting anyone, let alone her own brother? Or Sweetie Belle? No, something had to have been misunderstood.

‘’And I,’’ Rarity snarled, ‘’do not care.’’ She finally - finally! - turned to face Rainbow, and she was crying. ‘’’How do you think I feel?

Fuck.

‘’Shit Rares, I’m sorry-’’

Rarity slip-stumbled into Rainbow’s grasp, and instinctively the pegasus wrapped her wings around the unicorn, joined seconds later by her legs. ‘’There there, Rares.’’

Rarity began to cry in earnest against her neck, and it was all Rainbow could do to hold her, whisper sweet nothings in her ear, and make sure that Flurry’s well-deserved rest wasn’t too disturbed.

Eventually, after some time - Rainbow had no way to tell how long - Rarity pulled away. ‘’Oh, I’m sorry darling, it’s just-’’

‘’Shh,’’ Rainbow shushed, before acting on instinct and pressing a quick kiss to Rarity’s forehead. ‘’It’s alright. I’m sorry for irritating you. I shouldn’t have done it.’’

Rarity stared at her, mouth slightly open, for a few seconds, before gently kissing Rainbow back. She minded far less than she might have thought she did.

|-x-X-x-|

The Sun - Her Sun, it would always be Her Sun - shone down harshly. There was no more calm, no more beauty, no more peace in it, only uncaring heat. Her Princess would have hated it, would have hated everything about this world.

‘’My Princess,’’ one of the Ponies assembled before her spoke up, ‘’we have come as you have commanded. What are your orders?’’

‘’There have been complications,’’ Twilight Sparkle said, and it was all she could do to contain her rage. She should never have been discovered. She wasn’t ready yet! ‘’We must accelerate our plans. Sunderer, come forward.’’

All of her followers had forsaken their old names when they had become hers; now they would lead the restoration of the true Equestria. Their actions now would topple the Nightmare regime, and bring back the Equestria lost to them by the actions of Lunarists and traitors.

Sunderer was a Unicorn mare, a tall one at that. She bowed her head deeply as she stood before Twilight. ‘’What is thy bidding, my Princess?’’

‘’You,’’ Twilight declared, casting her voice around the darkened room, ‘’shall lead our forces in their first glorious assault. Make for the Crystal City and await my signal. Your task will be to ensure that the defences around the Crystal Palace are lowered, and its guards drawn away. I do not care how you do it, or what damages you cause, as long as the Palace and those in it remain unharmed. My niece is also to not be harmed under any circumstances. Am I clear?’’

‘’I shall fulfil this task or perish trying, my Princess,’’ Sunderer said, head still bowed.

‘’Dismissed.’’

Sunderer retreated into the crowd.

‘’Shatterer, come forward.’’

Shatterer was a Pegasi stallion, average by any metric. He, too, bowed deeply. ‘’What is thy bidding, my Princess?’’

‘’You,’’ Twilight declared, ‘’shall lead an attack on Manehattan. I have heard that there was a prison break-out attempt there recently; make it look like you are part of a similar group. Cause as much damage as you can, and do not let yourself be captured. That goes for Sunderer too.’’

She gazed over the assembled group. ‘’You shall assist these two as best you can. The attacks are to take place in two days.’’

‘’As you will it, so shall it be, my Princess,’’ Shatterer said. ‘’Manehattan shall fear us.’’

‘’You do well, Shatterer. For the Sun!’’

‘’FOR THE SUN!’’ the assembly chanted back.

Twilight let go of the spell, and slipped out of the Dream World.

The forest clearing she was sitting in was fully under the Sun at this hour; sweat soaked through her coat and mane as a result of this.

Nightmare Moon would never notice her, of course. For someone who called herself the Mistress of Dreams, she was remarkably blind to the on-goings of her domain. But of course, that only served to aid Twilight’s actions, so she didn’t mind overly.

The alicorn turned her head up and glared into the Sun, ignoring the stinging feeling in her eyes. ‘’Do not fear, my Princess,’’ she said softly. ‘’You shall be rescued, and all shall be well. As long as you endure, Equestria endures. I know you are suffering, but know that I am coming to save you.’’

Author's Note:

New chapter!

Let me know what you think in the comments!

PreviousChapters Next