• Published 14th Jul 2021
  • 250 Views, 0 Comments

A new era - Spiders Are Bae



This story is the second of a trilogy, describing the evolution of my oc, Queen Necifera, from when she first hatched, to when she evolved into a full queen and aquired her hive, and many more feats she managed to achieve.

  • ...
1
 0
 250

A blossoming hive

Her hive grew naturally in order to accommodate all the new changelings that came to live in it. It grew outwards, the petals forming it’s exterior became bigger, and the bulb at its center grew in height. Because of this change, the hive stood out more, and Necifera had to be extra vigilant of any scouts her mother may send.

The queen sighed and smiled, pleased as she observed the hive from the outside. She began making her way inside to better see all the recent changes, accompanied by some of her subjects. Two guards with dark red chitin greeted her as she passed, and she in turn, did the same, bowing her head slightly.

“My queen, if i may ask, why do you behave so differently from other queens?” A changeling with blue carapace that was accompanying her asked nervously.

“Hmm? What do you mean, little one?” Necifera asked without turning towards them.

“W-Well, you greeted those guards,” they explained.

“And?” The queen asked, slightly amused.

“Well....Normally, the queen’s subjects need to show their respect and their loyalty to her, but the queen doesn’t need to do the same...”

The queen stopped walking and turned towards the changeling, a smile on her face.

“Little one, I do this because I want to. You see, my mother wasn’t the best example, but I didn't let that change who I truly am. This isn’t my hive, this is our hive,” she gestured towards the hive with a fore hoof. “I merely lead and organize everything, I am not a tyrant,” she patted the changeling gently on the head. “I may be taller, but i’m not that different from you or your brothers and sisters,” she kept her smile, turned, and resumed her walk, leaving the little changeling to process what she said.

With a little tear of joy running down their face, they leapt up and flew to catch up with the queen as she entered the hive, their hive.

The corridors inside changed drastically. The hive became like a maze, very similar to her mother’s. Multiple corridors led to different rooms and areas of it. The paths leading to the different areas also had noticeable signs.

Sticky webs lined many of the corridors and tunnels leading to where the spiderlings lived, while a noticeable smell of honey travelled through the corridors and tunnels leading to the beeling’s area. The naga area was the most normal looking of the three, the tunnels connected to them being indistinguishable from the rest, although loud hissing could sometimes be heard echoing in them, as well as some slithering sounds.

The main hall was still easily accessible through a corridor in the center, with branching paths leading to the other storage areas and rooms. The queen and her group made their way through the main path and towards the center of the hive.

Small ambient lights were installed throughout the hive as well. Made and hung up by resin and a mix of other materials, they emited a dim, comforting light, directly controlled by the queen's magic. Changelings didn’t need any help to see in the dark, but the queen prepared in advance in case another race that couldn’t see well came to visit or even live in the hive.

As she arrived in the main hall, she noticed the entrance to the tunnels were finished and open. With them ready to be used, chambers and storage rooms were made inside to further expand the hive’s capacity and space. The queen passed by them and gave a quick glance towards the entrance, pleased at seeing the result and the good work her drones made.

Her group disbanded then, each changeling going about their day, all except one. The same changeling who asked her why she acted the way she did stayed by her side, silent. She noticed them and turned towards them.

“Something wrong, little one?” she asked calmly as she approached them.

“Well..i…My previous queen never treated me with such kindness, not like you do. I feel like I don't deserve su-” They are abruptly interrupted by the queen’s fore hoof under their chin, lifting their head gently to look at her.

“Don’t say such things. I love all my subjects, I chose you because I need you. You and your siblings helped me get to where I am. I will be eternally grateful for that. Never doubt yourself, little one, know your welcome here, and know that I love you with all my being. Always remember that.”

The little changeling started tearing up and hugged the queen. Necifera wrapped her hooves around them, closing her eyes and sending some positive emotions to make them feel better. After they calmed down, the little changeling thanked the queen and went on about their day, a smile on their face as they flew away. The queen smiled too, happy she could help her subjects in any way. It was her duty after all.

Necifera continued her inspection of the remodeled hive, seeing the different “decor” on the walls, rooms and all around the walls. With so much variety now in it, it’s decoration was composed of all kinds of accessories and trinkets made and brought by the different races, which brought immense joy to the queen. She enjoyed seeing so many different changeling races thriving and working together.

She made her way up the ramps on the spire, which were improved to allow all kinds of creatures easy access to the other floors. She passed by smaller floors that were also added, mostly to be used as sleeping areas for changelings.

Necifera decided to visit the nursery first, which remained the same, but was increased in size to make it easier for different types of changelings to move around and interact with the nymphs and larvae. She made sure to visit with frequency, the young ones needed to get used to her presence, and she wanted to make sure they were healthy as they grew.

As Necifera entered, the larvae immediately sought to crawl all over her, as is usual when she showed up. It seemed they already started to form a connection to her, even while still so young.

She played with them until they were tired enough to sleep. After helping the nursery drones tuck the little ones to sleep, Necifera left the nursery and made her way to another chamber, the pod chamber.

It was also expanded upon, the different changelings in the hive made cocoons with their resin, which ended up making for a colorful collection of pods of different colors. As she saw this, Necifera was quite amused by these transparent colors the pods acquired. As usual, most pods were being used by changelings to sleep in, their sleeping bodies clearly visible curled up inside the comfortable suspended bed. She still hoped they would continue to be used for this purpose only. If any prey were to be captured however, Necifera would make sure they wouldn't be mistreated. Not wanting to disturb any of her sleeping subjects, the queen quietly left the chamber.

She began making her way towards the top of the spire, towards her throne room. Due to the bulb's external growth, where the queen's chambers were located, it became quite spacious, but still relatively empty.

Necifera greeted her two throne guards who bowed out of respect, eliciting a smirk and a nod from her, before entering the throne room. She moved towards her throne, and placed a hoof on it.

"We've come so far, evolved so fast. Would you be proud of me mother, even after all I've done to you?" She asks herself, whispering. “Your lessons are what allowed me to survive and succeed. I will be eternally grateful for everything you've done for me, even if I let you down in the end," she softly affirms, wiping the few tears that started forming in her eyes.

After calming herself down, she decided to get some rest in her personal chambers, now composed of a fairly large bed and a lot of trinkets offered to her by her different subjects, who she cherished dearly.

She practically flopped on the bed half asleep, just about ready to drift into the realm of dreams, when she was abruptly startled awake by a message sent to her via the link. Her hive guards told her a changeling with a purple mane calling herself Nymph came to see her.

"N-Nymph? What are you doing here?" Necifera muttered to herself, wide eyed and disbelief in her voice.