• Published 7th Sep 2012
  • 2,606 Views, 34 Comments

Sins of the Past - Star Seeker



Equestria has a violent past. What happens when that past comes back to haunt them

  • ...
6
 34
 2,606

Chapter 3- Genesis Rebirth

//-------------------------------------------------
// Story: Sins of the Past
// Chapter 3: Genesis Rebirth
// Author: Star Seeker
//-------------------------------------------------

“Are we there yet?” moaned Dash, who had been restricted to walking as the canopy of the forest had grown too thick for her to fly above, so she could not see where they were from the air.

“Almost, the entrance should only be a couple more hours away”. Said Nightshade.

They had been traveling for almost a day and a half through the Everfree forest. Everyone was tired and slightly irritable, with the unusual exception of Fluttershy, who was whistling along with half a dozen bird that had perched themselves on her outstretch wings.

“So where are we going exactly?” asked Twilight, as she walked up to Nightshade.

“The Genesis Heart, being an artifact of extraordinary power, radiates a magical aura which would light up the sky like a second sun. In order to conceal it, we had to hide is underground and place it within 3 layers of magic concealing seals to protect it from those who would put it to misuse”. He paused, waiting for everyone to catch up. “Even with all these measures in place, it still radiated a faint aura, so we hid it in the center of the Everfree forest, since the forest’s strange energies helped to mask its presence”.

“I don’t mean to pry sugarcube, but why do you explain everything in so much detail?” asked Applejack.

He looked back at her. “Because that way, if anything goes wrong, I know that I told everyone as much as I could to try and keep them alive”. He looked to the ground. “I’ve lost too much from keeping my mouth shut”

“Huh?” said Pinkie, bounding towards them. Nightshade just kept walking.

“Anyway” said Twilight, hoping to break the tension. “How do we recreate the Elements when we get to the Genesis Heart?”

“That’s easy. You girls are the embodiments of Harmony, so all you have to do is place a gem into one of the slots on the Heart and it will become the Element that you represent” He looked up, it was beginning to get dark.

“But where shall we get some gems? I would have brought some from my store if you had told me” said Rarity, avoiding the patches of mud on the path.

“The tunnel that leads to the Heart is cut from an old gem mine, so there will be plenty of gems to choose from when we get there”. A dark cloud was closing in, threatening to rain. “We better pick up the pace if we want to reach the entrance before nightfall”.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The power felt good.

Very good.

He couldn’t deny the pleasure he was feeling as the power coursed through his veins. This would be part of the power he would need for his revenge.

The human rode on one of the dark, stormy clouds that were seeking out Twilight and the rest of her friends.

He looked to the sky; it had become darker as he progressed towards them.

He smiled.

Ever since he had drained Celestia and Luna of their magic, he had somehow taken control of their power over night and day. He was hoping that the ponies hadn’t noticed that it was becoming darker earlier and faster than usual, since he had not yet mastered these powers.

He waved his hand and the projection appeared before him. It showed 2 things. First, it showed a map of the Everfree forest, with a glowing line that showed Pinkie Pies’ progression through the forest. The second thing was the feed he was getting from her 4 senses and her mysterious 5th sense, which didn’t make a lick on sense to him.

Right now, it showed them hurrying towards what appeared to be a crevice. There was a natural walkway that cut into the top of it. The wind must of carved into the softer rock and the rain did the rest.

“Well, here we are” came a voice out of view. Pinkie didn’t look at it. She moved closer to the entrance.

“It doesn’t look that amazing. Where are the balloons? The fireworks?” she said as she stuck her head inside the entrance.

“Sorry. Nothing that spectacular.” The same voice said.

Pinkie finally looked at the owner of the voice. A black Alicorn filled the view.

The human went pale. “No, it can’t be. It can’t be him.”

Nightshade spoke again. “We’d best get moving, the entrance is pretty far down.”

The human slammed his fist down onto the cloud, sending a huge bolt of lightning out of it.

“IT IS HIM! THAT BASTARD!” He screamed out, as hot tears started to stream down his face, caused by painful memories from long ago. “I WILL GET YOU! I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH!”

The thunder got louder and the clouds darker as his anger grew. Tendrils of darkness grew from his body as his magic reacted to his emotional state. ”AZEROTH! NIGHTSHADE! WHATEVER YOU CALL YOURSELF NOW! I WILL MAKE YOU BURN FOR WHAT YOU DID!”

He calmed himself, wiping the tears from his face. The tendrils withdrew back into his body. He checked the map on the projection. He was about 10 minutes away from the entrance to the crevice.

The feed from Pinkie showed them reaching the end of the tunnel, which turned into a bridge, which spanned the width of the crevice.

“Not long now. Soon, everyone will feel my pain” he whispered to himself as the clouds floated towards their destination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“That’s… that’s p, pr, pretty high above the ground” stammered Fluttershy as she looked over the side of the bridge.

“Oh come on Fluttershy!” exclaimed Dash. “You’re a Pegasus! Why do you have to worry about height?”

“Calm down Dashie. You know how scared Fluttershy can get.” Twilight walked up to Fluttershy and put her hoof on her shoulder, reassuring her.

“It’s only about 10 meters across Shy. You could walk it with your eyes closed see?” Applejack proceeded to walk the entire length with her eyes shut and without even breaking her stride. “See how easy that was?”

“Ok…okay” she gulped. “I’ll try”. She started crawling across the bridge. All was going well until the dark clouds that had been moving over reached the crevice and unleashed a torrent of thunder, causing Fluttershy to instantly freeze up and hug the bridge.

“Oh come now darling,” said Rarity as she walked up to Fluttershy. “It’s just a bit of thunder. I’ll walk with you if it makes you feel better”.

Fluttershy nodded and slowly got up. She didn’t leave Rarity’s side until they were well clear on the other side. Everyone else got across without any fuss.

Rarity’s eyes lit up when she noticed what lay inside the next tunnel.

“Oh my…” was all that she could say as the sparkle of hundreds of gemstones lit up her eyes. She went to step forward when suddenly her horn flared brightly. Twilight rushed forward when she saw that, and when she stopped next to Rarity, her horn did the same.

“Don’t worry, that’s just your horn reacting to the sudden increase of magic in the environment. We just passed through the second layer of magical seals that encompass the Genesis Heart”. Nightshade continued onwards.

“The second one?” asked Twilight. “When did we pass through the first one?”

“As we entered the tunnel at the start of the crevice. You may have noticed a slight tingling sensation and gotten Goosebumps”

She thought for a moment. “I did, but I must have thought it was just a natural reaction of fear from being so high up.”

“That’s why we put it there in the first place. No one would notice it there.” He turned to face the others. “Now that we are here, you can go and get a gem that you believe would make a good new Element. I have to proceed on and prepare the Heart for you” He turned away from the group. “When you have an appropriate gem, follow the tunnel and meet me at the main chamber”. He walked off.

Dash instantly bolted to the ceiling to prize a large blood-red ruby out of the stone. It dropped to the floor and she stood above it triumphantly.

“10 seconds flat!” she smirked. Applejack rolled her eyes and bucked the wall again, dislodging several gems and the topaz she had been eyeing. Fluttershy walked up and picked up a large piece of rose quartz that had also been dislodged. “That looks pretty”.

Pinkie Pie was standing next to Dash with a nice sapphire I her mouth. Nobody had heard her get it. Rarity was further down with Twilight, as they attempted to get an amethyst and pink diamond out of the wall.

“A little help here please Applejack” Rarity said as they struggled to pull them from the wall.

“Sure”. Applejack walked up and bucked the wall once more and the gems fell from the wall.

Once they all had their gems, they started to walk down the tunnel. They had been walking for about 10min when Twilights and Raritys horn flared once more, brighter than before.

“I guess we just passed through the 3rd seal”. They kept moving. The further they went, the more the tunnel began to look like a hallway.

After another minute of walking when they reached the main chamber. They reached the bottom and stopped. All was silent except for the slight humming and the sound of Raritys jaw hitting the floor.

In the center of the room was the largest fire ruby that they had ever seen, possibly the biggest in existence. It was at least 2m squared (to Twilights trained eye) and pulsed with a red glow.

Nightshade was behind it, examining a console that was projected from the Heart. “Have you found the appropriate gems yet?” He looked up. He started chuckling.

“What's to funny?” asked Pinkie. “Was there a joke that I just missed?”

“No, it’s just that you picked the same gems that were used to make the original Elements of Harmony”. He finished up what he was doing and walked towards them. “I guess some things never change”.

“So what do we do with these now?” asked Twilight.

Nightshade pointed towards the Heart. “You see those indents in the Heart? Place them gems there, and I will activate the charge which had been building up”. He walked back to the console. ”When they have been charged, simply touch the one that is yours and it will become the element you represent”.

“Seems simple enough.” said Twilight.

The girls all placed the gems into the slots. Each one sparked as it came in contact with the heart.

“Can I get you all to stand back please, the discharge can cause some crazy things to happen.” Nightshade pushed a button on the console. The glowing in the Heart grew brighter and brighter, and the gems in the slots started to float around it.

The glowing intensified and the gems started to spin around it faster and faster until…

The glowing stopped and the gems hit the floor.

“Odd, that wasn’t suppose to happen…” He was about to go and inspect the gems when a beam of light shot out of the hallway and sent Nightshade slamming into the opposite wall.

“You can’t fix what isn’t broken.” Came a voice from the hallway.

Twilight instantly spun to the hallway, horn glowing at the ready. But there was nothing there.

“Behind you” said the voice again as a wall of shadow slammed into her, sending her spinning into Rarity.

She stood back up. The human was standing over Nightshades body, his foot pressed against his neck.

“It’s been a while, hasn’t it, Azeroth?” he said, grinding his foot.

“Azeroth?” asked Applejack. Twilight was already on the move, sending a bolt of purple magic into the humans back. He was unprepared for it and staggered as the magic almost lifted him off his feet.

Nightshade gasped for breath as Twilight teleported him back to their group.

The human regained his composure. “That was strong. If I wasn’t in possession of Celestias' and Lunas’ magic, that would have torn me a new one.” He dusted himself off. “But now that I do, there is nothing you can do to me.” He looked up and received the full force of Twilights’, Raritys’ and Nightshades’ magic and got buried in the opposite wall.

While they were preparing their next attack, the human stuck his hand out and yelled “IMPRISON!”. A bolt of lightning struck the ground in front of them and columns of lightning shot out of the ground, surrounding them and the others.
They fired and the lightning absorbed it.

He coughed up some blood and wiped it away. “I really DID underestimate you.” He placed his hand on his chest. A green glow spread across his body as it healed his wounds. After he had done this, he pointed at the cage and made a fist.

A bolt of lightning redirected straight into Nightshades’ body, causing him to collapse and cry out in pain.

“Why are you doing this to me?” he asked, coughing and struggling to stand up.

“You know exactly why I’m doing this” he said, the anger causing his voice to grumble. “You were the reason why all this started.”

Nightshade looked down, ashamed. “I remember. There are no words to say how sorry I am.”

The human laughed. “You’re sorry?” He sent another bolt of lightning into Nightshade. “YOU’RE SORRY! YOU REALLY THINK THAT SORRY WILL MAKE ME FORGIVE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID?”

The angrier he got, the stronger the lightning got. Nightshade writhed in pain. “EVEN IF IT WERE POSSIBLE FOR ME TO FORGIVE YOU, YOU ARE A THOUSAND YEARS TOO LATE!” He turned away and the lighting stopped.

As Twilight attempted to heal the burns with her magic, the human walked up to the Genesis Heart and prepared to do something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He placed his hand on the Genesis Heart, feeling the unbelievable magic power pulse underneath his palms.

He was almost done. He was mere seconds away from resurrecting the human race. He was about to configure it when he heard a rasping voice behind him.

“How do you plan on using the Genesis Heart? Even if you bring them back, they will only have the intelligence of a newborn child.” He turned to the voice.

Thanks to Twilight, Nightshade had recovered from most of his burns and was leaning on her for support. “How will that help you wage war?”

“Before all this started, I did extensive research on the Genesis Heart. It was written that when someone from the dying species activates the Heart, he can bring the people back with the memories from a certain era, so that they can thrive on the knowledge they have and not die out again.”

“I didn’t know that,” said Twilight. “I thought you told us everything?”

The human smiled. “Still keeping things from people? I thought that you would have learnt by now, after what happened”.

He walked back to the Heart and placed his hand upon it. Now all he needed was a memory, a memory that could only exist in that time.

He thought of all the possible things that could have happened, when a memory burst up from his mind.

HELP ME DADDY!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight watched as the Genesis Heart suddenly started glowing and the human was sent flying backwards. Whatever he did, it had disrupted his magic, as the lightning cage dissipated around them.

The human stood up and grinned. “It worked! Soon, my army shall rise from the grave and bring this world back to the way it should be. A would ruled by us!”

He turned towards the girls. “This is where your usefulness has come to an end.” He pointed his open palm towards them, his hand glowing bright.

“Now perish”.

Twilight closed here eyes and waited for the end…