• Published 28th Jun 2021
  • 1,410 Views, 36 Comments

My Most Faithful Mortifer - hamishwarfare



Life can change at the drop of a hat. One bad day changes Twilight Sparkles life in ways she could not foresee; and now can’t remember who she is.

  • ...
1
 36
 1,410

Chapter. 24 – Bonding, Plots and Worries

Chapter 24. – Bonding, Plots and Worries



Time may have been marching, the New Year had come and gone, as well as all of January, but winter still refused to release its hold on ponykind. It was late afternoon and the small town of Ponyville was being attacked by swirling winds with rain drops that felt more like daggers than actual water.

The few ponies venturing out of their abodes had themselves covered in rain protection; even the hardy earth ponies of the town wanted nothing to do with this weather.

It would come as no surprise that the library was clear of all customers and patrons; but just because it was devoid of clients did not mean that it was quiet. Every pony who knew the librarian of the Golden Oak Library would be quite amazed to find she had a guest staying at the library. Doubly so due to the last time these two were together.

Up in the resident’s area of the library the cast iron log burner was happily churning out heat, with the pleasant warm glow of orange pouring forth from its viewing window. Sitting all around it on the couch as well as some moved wooden chairs was a group of seven mares and a baby dragon.

It has been a long several months since two of them had been back to the small town and even though they had only been here once before; it still felt good to be back amongst friends.

It was the youngest of all of them that was centre stage at this moment in time, regaling the time he spent with his family over the Hearth Warming period. It was just a shame his rendition was marred thanks to some sniffles and the odd cough; the poor dear was suffering for a mild cold.

Sniff, a-and then to try and act all cool he goes and takes a big drink from his eggnog. Well Cadance didn’t take this lying down, like at all. So she goes up and whispers something into Shining’s ear; the next thing I know his noes turns into a fountain and spews eggnog across the living room table before he starts hacking and sputtering, all the while Cadance has this smug look on her face. It was almost like she’s saying ‘who’s got the last laugh now?’ She even winked at me. Chuckle, ah Shining didn’t let it down the whole rest of the day. I never did find out what Cadance said to Shining, but my granny said it was something that was definitely deserved.

“But yeah it was a good day, one I really think all of us needed; especially my puppa and granny. I mea-” Spikes face quickly silenced itself and looked a little bashful, like he had said a little too much. Whatever the reason, his clawed hands were already in place as he started a small coughing fit.

Out of all seven of the mares in the room, only two held looks of understanding; the others, while curious, respected the young dragon’s privacy not to enquire. As much as it was painfully obvious that one or two of them were dying to know more of the story.

“Well Spike, it sounds like you really had a very enjoyable Hearths Warming.” Rarity pushed through – while offering the young dragon a fresh tissue – to prevent, at the very least Pinkie, from demanding to know more. “I have to admit my own was not nearly as, colourful, as yours sounded like; but oh my can Sweetie be a hoof full when she gets spoiled by our parents.” There was a distant, if happy, smile gracing the white unicorns face as she remembered her own Hearths Warming with her parents.

“Ya still looking after Sweetie Belle for your folks? Ain’t they done travelling yet?”

Rarity flinched slightly from the comment made by Applejack; it was a bit of a sore spot for the tanned earth pony. “Yes I am still looking after Sweetie Belle, Applejack. Our parents are still ‘finding themselves,’” the purpled maned pony emphasised this with actual hoof quotations marks.

“Do not get me wrong; they do love us dearly and both myself and Sweetie love them as well. But they’re getting on in years and denied their calling for as long as they could; so when I managed to establish a semblance of normality here in Ponyville, they saw their chance to fulfil themselves once more. Sigh, I can call them selfish, but even I know the power of a cutie mark and their call on a pony can be. Mine can, quite literally, drag me around the place if I’m not careful.” She finished with a small giggle.

“Now tell me Applejack,” Rarity asked with a knowing look, “How was your own Hearth Warming? Did it all go to plan, hmm?” Even with her mouth being covered by taking a sip of her drink, the smile was clear to hear on her face.

“Hehe, you were right Sugarcube; I believe Sunset was planning to read all day long. You didn’t even have anything special planned for a meal or anything, did you?” Applejack looked over to the mare in question, giving her a look that plainly said “Don’t lie, I already know the answer.” The smile adorning the farm pony’s face removed all sense of hostility the gaze and question may have had.

While all the mares from Ponyville knew these tales already – having all met up again quickly after the New Year – they were stated as news worthy for the friends that could not have come by sooner, namely Trixie and Spike.

Trixie had left for Manehattan to spend time with her family; regaling stories to her folks and wowing her younger sibling with a few new tricks she had learnt. While Spike stayed in Canterlot with his family; apparently even Prince Shining Armour and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza had stayed with Spike and their family rather than the castle.

Everypony else had already taken a turn to tell their Hearth Warming story, with Pinkie being the first. But now it was time for the pony that had brought this group together to share her tale.

“Well, no I hadn’t; and yes I was planning to read all day. What’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing, nothing at all sugarcube.” Applejack hastily said, waving her front hooves defensively. “Just, I bet you do that nearly every day. Hearth Warming’s about being with friends and family. You can’t deny you had a better time with ma family than just on your own?”

Sunset’s response was one that surprised the two friends from Canterlot; she smiled. It was small, simple, and far too insignificant of a smile for such a precious gift as Sunset had received that day.

But this was Sunset Shimmer, the stoic mare who was impossible to read; as Rainbow Dash and a few other ponies in town can certainly attest to with their games of poker. When Sunset smiled, it just never seemed to reach her eyes.

But the smile that was on the mares face was honest, it was felt; it reached her eyes.

“No Applejack. Being with your family on Hearths Warming was so much better than what I had planned. Thank you for inviting me.”

“It ain’t no problem at all; you’ve got an open invite to come back every year, ya hear. Besides,” the soft smile on Applejacks face was wiped away by a smirk. “Having you there meant the dishes were done in seconds; when you come over next time, that’s your designated chore.” The group laughed and Sunset certainly agreed to the terms.

The stories continued to flow from each person in the room without a care. The group of friends had no adventure to go on, nothing to rescue or defeat. It was a simple get together, and it was what everyone needed.


Princess Celestia was walking through the castles gardens; the weather was not the best and had kept the nobles inside, exactly the reason why Celestia was now out in this cold, wet slush like rain.

With every New Year came the exact same problems as the previous one, only with different flowery words to dress them up. The nobles of the court had a knack of re-phrasing the exact same problem in a wardrobe of colourful words to try and make it different. But she had been the sole ruling princess for almost a thousand years now; she has heard every single way one could dress up the same problem over and over again. Regardless of the changes in culture or the renaissance in language Equestria had gone through over the centuries.

But this year would be very different; her sister was due to come back this summer, no doubt still corrupted by the Nightmare persona when she had last seen her. The thought was both a blessing and a curse; she missed her sister dearly and needed to set things right with her. But she could not bear to see the war visage the nightmare had brought to the forefront.

But then her hopes and dreams where all but lost when young Twilight Sparkle disappeared. A tragedy only made worse when it was all but apparent that she was destined to become the next bearer of Magic; the artefact that had sent Luna to the moon, that has the power to remove the heinous corruption within her soul. The artefacts that she had lost command over due to her own hubris, by wielding them all against a fellow bearer.

But harmony works in mysterious ways it seems; for another potential candidate to bear Magic became known to her as she was out on an evening flight over the countryside of the Mainhattan province.

Young Trixie Lulamoon was certainly a diamond in the rough; but the passion for magic could almost be felt coming off of the young filly. Trixie had nothing more than the standard curriculum for magic, but what she lacked in theory was easily overcome by simple practical understanding of magic. Such love and dedication to magic could not go unnoticed and so Celestia had found yet another student to mentor.

Celestia managed a small smile as her mind took her over some of the more interesting times teaching Trixie. But then the smile left almost as quickly as it came; for her mind brought her to the here and now, and the most recent development.

Sunset Shimmer, the latest pride of Predator; trained in all three of the tribal innate magic’s, with an almost unimaginable wellspring to back up her clearly vast knowledge of magical theory. She’s able, been physically trained to the standards of the elite within the Honour guard…and who is, without doubt, one of the biggest wild cards Celestia has ever come across.

And now the year of her sister’s return has come about; and due to a single pony entering her life, Celestia was at a loss.

But regardless of all the doubt and uncertainty, the flame of hope was burning brighter than ever within her chest.

Yes her plans have changed numerous times in recent years; yes she is worried over how much damage the Nightmare could do to her sister’s reputation before she is freed. She is even fearful of how much collateral damage will be done and is still silently pleading to Harmony not to let her little ponies die.

But now Trixie has friends, good friends whose bonds just seem to keep getting stronger and stronger. From the stories Trixie had told her, it gave her hope that all of the bearers have been located and already friends with each other.

Celestia was almost tempted to see if they could awaken the elements ahead of her sister’s arrival.

Then there was the wild card; Sunset Shimmer. Actually it was thanks to her that Trixie found her friends; if not for her lack of emotions then she could very well also be a candidate to bear the Element of Magic.

‘That would be a political nightmare. An unknown unicorn appearing out of nowhere becoming the Element of Magic; it would be impossible for Predator to remain a secret. And with Predator being revealed to the world Equestria’s reputation will be torn to shreds.' Celestia sighs as she shakes her head in slow lethargic waves in an effort to try and clear it, her mane wet and clinging onto her body more than waving about in the air. Her aimless wandering has brought her to the entrance of the hedge maze; a place filled with twists and turns and lots of unknown paths. She couldn’t help but think it was fitting.

‘I have to intervene, but in doing so am I dooming Equestria and the world to eternal night? Will I lose my sister forever because the elements cannot settle on a single bearer for Magic? “What am I to do?” The words left her mouth with all the gentleness of a floating down feather.

The rain had lightened since she started her walk, but there was still no other pony to hear the question on the wind. Nor was there anything around to give the grieving alicorn an answer.

“Excuse me, Princess?” The minutes of silence burst in a blink of an eye and by the sound of a voice; Celestia turned to see one of her golden clad, white furred royal guards standing a few paces behind her. They were an earth pony but anything more than that was almost impossible to tell, thanks to the glamor they are bound to wear while on duty.

“I’m afraid the number of nobles looking for you has exceeded what you requested we keep at bay. Would you like us to continue preventing them from seeing you, or…?” the question was not said but it was clear to hear “Or are you going to go back to work?”

Celestia turned towards the nearest set of doors into the castle; not to check if the guard was lying or not, but to see just how many nobles wanted her attention. Even from the distance between where she stood and the closest access point to the castle, she could clearly see at least a dozen highly dignified and supremely dressed ponies hovering about the inside of the door.

“No, I believe my break has come to an end. Please inform them I shall be there in a moment.” The guard bowed before about turning and walked back to the doors with military precision.

Duty calls, her little ponies needed her. Her heart was filled with worries and fears, her mind filled with doubts and second guesses; but her soft motherly smile still stayed on her face. Exactly what her ponies expected to see.

She set aside the worries and fears of tomorrow as Princess Celestia walk back into the castle, the small gentle smile unwavering on her face.


For it still being light outside, the long wooden corridor with white panelling was surprisingly quiet; then again it is not very often that a pony wanted to see the three masters in their private study.

Tempest Shadow walked down the simple, yet elegant, corridor; and before knocking on the door at the end of it, she was invited in by the masters of Predator.

“Ah, Tempest. How is your hunt for your next pupil fairing? Or shall you be returning to your role as a field operative?” Bright Lance was the one to speak first, being the master of Unicorns it was only appropriate that she speak to one of her former pupils. All three masters were sitting together around a simple wooden table, paperwork, cups and saucers scattered all over it.

“Slowly I’m afraid, Master Bright Lance. My normal sources for new recruits appear to have gone quiet while I was training Sunset.”

It was Crane Wing who spoke up, offering the purple unicorn a warm smile. “It is not a surprise. You are still revelling off of such a successful student. Allow yourself some time to reflect and I would not be surprised to find you have already found your next student. After all, you have brought to our attention many successful candidates from all tribes. Have you considered becoming a recruiter? Or have you finally seen what I told you years ago; that you are a capable teacher.”

Tempest Shadow fidgeted slightly and she refused to look at the master of Pegasi, “I admit teaching Sunset was more enjoyable than I was expecting; the challenges to keep her interested especially so.”

“Such a bright and curious mind such as hers is as unique as she herself is. Sunset Shimmer is most assuredly a difficult student, but for almost the complete opposite reasons of a more typical cadet. Crane Wing is right however, Sunset Shimmer was such a success it surprised us all. I remember discovering especially talented recruits in the military; it does affect how you see others in comparison.” Thunder Stomp apparently was listening even though he hadn’t looked up once from the papers he was studying.

“Indeed. Speaking of the mare in question, her latest report came in; it speaks of nothing of significance to report. However, it is how she has written it that has sparked my interest, and I suspect it will do the same to you as well.” Crane Wing said as he used his wing to lift a non-descriptive scroll to her.

“It appears the town she has been sent to, this Ponyville, has been doing Sunset quite some good. Nothing explicit is stated, but it is the way she is writing, and even the word choice. It looks like some of her emotions may be returning to her.” Crane Wing’s face held the air of a grandfather hearing good news.

Tempest remained impassive as she looked over the scroll handed to her. The master of Pegasi was right. While it reported of nothing new this month, it was the additional flicks and curls, the extra descriptive wording. It was subtle and to most of no consequence at all; to Tempest Shadow it was something she had not been expecting. At all.

“I hope that is the case, Master Crane Wing; if there is anypony who deserves the return of her emotions, it is Sunset Shimmer.”

“We are all hoping she can recover completely; if she does it might be interesting to see if she would be capable of subterfuge?”

“An interesting prospect that is certainly worth discussing, if her emotions fully return Thunder Stomp. Until then there is little point in speculating about what if’s.” Bright Lance was quick to retort. The quill Thunder Stomp was using in his hoof was forcibly placed on the table, while his body turned to face the Master of Unicorns.

In a move that defied his ancient grandfatherly look, the sole pegasis in the room launched himself over the round table and landed directly in between the standing unicorn and where his fellow masters were staring intensely at each other.

He spread his wings around him and they began emitting a golden hue. Whatever was happening behind the only standing master could not be heard at all. “I am afraid this meeting has come to an end. If you are planning to leave us again, then I ask you wait until morning and inform us. If not then, as you know, you are free to do as you wish.” With that he waved a hoof clearly indicating that she leaves.

Tempest Shadow returned the scroll to Crane Wing before following his orders and left with a bow; politely ignoring the silent shouting match happening behind him and the wall of manipulated air cancelling out noise.


As the afternoon marched on the Golden Oak Library was still just as filled as it was before. Sunset had all of her friends with her and library itself was still without a customer; though this was actually planned.

Sunset locked eyes with the purpled maned unicorn sitting nearby and nodded her head so minutely that only the detailed eyes of the fashionista picked it up.

It was time.

“Well girls, and Spike of course.” Rarity let out a slight giggle at the put off face of the young drake in their party. What frown was on his face was quickly replaced by a goofy grin at hearing her giggle. “I feel I must ask all of you to stand and bring yourselves closer in please.”

Confusion was first on nearly everyone’s face, but they trusted Rarity and at least got up and stood by her.

“That’s right, if we could all get a little closer together. Pinkie, if you’d please stop grinning like a Cheshire cat, it would make me feel a little better about this at least. And Spike, could you bring your tail in just a little bit more? Oh, yes holding it is a great idea.” The group was almost shoulder to shoulder and stood facing each other in a tight circle. Only Sunset’s face was out of character, as she had her eyes closed.

“Ok Rare, what’s the big idea? Why have you got us all together like this?”

“Well Rainbow I was just getting to that. You see Sunset came to visit me not long after I got back from my parents’ house asking if there was something special she could do for us all. When I asked what for, she responded that it was for her Hearth’s Warming gift to us all. Well when I heard what it was for and the reason why, I couldn’t help but get myself involved with the planning.”

“Yeah? And what’s that got to do with you asking us to be all close like?”

“I’m getting there Applejack, please just be a little patient. Anyway, we went back and forth a bit with ideas before settling on one that all of us could do as a group. It was also Sunsets idea that we wait until all of our friends could be here to enjoy it. As for why we are so close together right now; well it’s because some of us can be a bit stubborn about this.”

“Ah, so the two of you were waiting for myself and Spike to be here as well.” At Rarity’s nod Trixie continued, “so what have the two of you planned? And why doe-” Trixie stopped and looked over to the flaming hared unicorn amongst them, eyes beginning to widen.

Sunset’s brow was in deep concentration and the gathered power within her horn could no longer be concealed with what little she knew of silent casting; regardless if this was a spell she knew particularly well.

Before anyone could comment on what she was doing; static covered them all and a bright flash of light blocked their sight for a long moment.

“Welcome.” Was the first thing the group heard from a pair of similar voices. All the ponies from ponyville knew the voices, but only three of them knew them well enough to identify them. Well, the three regulars and Pinkie Pie.

“At first I was a little hesitant, I must admit; but this is something we all could do together and something Sunset really does think would be especially beneficial for Applejack especially.”

The group were finally able to see the two earth ponies standing next to a small reception area and close to a set of plane double doors. The room was large with arched wings leading to other areas. The walls were painted in pale light lavender colours, with said scent lightly drifting in the air.

There were several relaxing tables and chairs covered in white towels; but the big attraction of the room, sitting in front of a large wall sized window, was a large wooden hot tub, steaming away and bubbling slightly.

By now Sunset had got her breathing back under control and smiled at all of her friends. “Thank you everyone for being my friend. Happy belated Hearths Warming.”