• Published 13th Jun 2021
  • 3,713 Views, 25 Comments

Anon-a-Miss: Change Your Mind - King_Again



“You should just leave me alone. I don’t deserve this; not even happiness.” … “Of course you do. You deserve happiness— you deserve a life worth living.”

  • ...
3
 25
 3,713

Chapter 2

Immediately as they arrived, Sunset wanted to turn back. She didn’t want to risk ruining the Cakes’ day anymore than she already did but Sugarcoat refused to let go of her hand, which meant she couldn’t escape from sight. Normally this would’ve been okay but it only brought worry and fear.

What if the Rainbooms were here? What would happen then?

Sugarcoat still wouldn’t let go as she ordered them hot chocolate to warm them up, paying for them both. She tasked Sunset with finding a place to sit, and of course the girl immediately chose the safest looking table— the one farest away from everyone’s sight. But who knew how long the safety would last.

Jackets had been abandoned in favor of the cafe’s warmth, the tension was little as it was mostly adults at this time. The teenagers would be arriving soon though, Sunset knew it by heart since she mostly came here with… them after school was done for the day. This was the one day she had chosen to stay home from that hell. She didn’t know CPA’s time schedule but she knew CHS’ by heart. Hopefully they would be done here before long.

She really didn’t want to have a confrontation.

Five minutes passed by without any indentation of the former friends and Sunset was just starting to relax as Sugarcoat talked about the plans for Christmas when the door opened up again. Sunset’s eyes widened as her nerves started up again, her stomach forming nots as she itched to leave the café.

But one look from Sugarcoat told her that wasn’t happening. The Shadowbolt wanted her to show that she didn’t care what they thought anymore. That she was over the accusations being made because she had someone on her side.

Because she had a real friend and many more on the way.

“Do you really have to be everywhere?” growled Rainbow, eyes dangerously flashing. “I thought it was clear we had enough of seeing you.”

Sugarcoat gave her a look. “Here I thought this was a public space. Everyone’s welcome here, like it or not.”

“A Shadowbolt?” Rainbow’s eyes widened along with the others. They clearly didn’t expect that. Sunset just stared into the cup, not wanting to make eye-contact with any of them. “Are you trying to make a fool of yourself even more?”

“Funny,” Sugarcoat said, “the only fools I can see are you five and I’m not very amused.”

The Wondercolt could feel the anger burning in Sugarcoat and found herself torn on what to do next. Either she could stop this right now or she could allow this to continue on. On the one hand, it’d be nice to see the Rainbooms get exactly what was coming for them but that could also get Sugarcoat banned from Sugarcube Corner if things got physical.

Why was it so hard to make up her mind?

“Yer wastin’ yer time,” Applejack stated calmly, though Sunset could see the hate burning those green eyes. “She ain’t nothin’ but a troublemaker. Even if yer are a Shadowbolt— yer better than that.”

“She’s only a ‘troublemaker,’ because you labeled her that without any source of proof.”

Rarity huffed, folding her arms across her chest. “We’re trying to save you, darling!”

Sugarcoat frowned. “From what? A pointless argument you’re not going to win?”

“This is bullshit,” Rainbow mumbled under her breath before slamming her hands down onto the table, trying her best to ignore the looks being shot from all around— especially the owners. “If you keep hanging around this bitch— then you’re going to get betrayed. Do you really want that fucking happening?”

“Oh, you mean like how you betrayed her? You turned your backs to her the second you thought she was behind this… anon-a-miss thing, and you refuse to allow her to tell you her side of the story. You don’t trust her. You never did. That’s why you were so quick to abandon her the second you thought it was her because you thought she pretended to be your friend to learn secrets about you just so she could go back being alone?” Sugarcoat replied, trying to get her breathing under control. “You almost made her—”

“Sugarcoat, don’t,” Sunset whispered, closing her eyes. Sugarcoat nodded, mouthing a ‘sorry,’ to her.

The whole café went quiet afterwards.

Sunset wished she wasn’t shocked as she thought about her newfound friend’s words. She knew Sugarcoat could be blunt. Like, extremely blunt; she said things how she saw them. In fact, her name probably shouldn’t even be Sugarcoat because she didn’t sugarcoat things at all. But how she said every little thing… Sunset could feel her numb heart letting down some barriers; was she starting to trust Sugarcoat a little bit just because she defended her?

But that also meant she couldn’t go spilling about her attempted suicide.

It took her a full moment to realize the Rainbooms were shocked into silence. Guilty expressions littering their faces before they shook them away.

… almost like they didn’t want to feel the guilt.

“Wha…” Rainbow swallowed thickly, trying to make some sort of sense of things. She nearly jumped when she felt Fluttershy placing a hand on her shoulder. “What the fuck…” was all she could get out.

“Let’s go,” Fluttershy whispered to the others. She turned back to the two, looking embarrassed. At least she still had the dignity to. “Um, sorry to bother you.”

Sugarcoat just shrugged. “Whatever.”

“But, what the fuck—?” Rainbow still struggled to find the right words, even as she left the cafe with her friends, still trying to make sense of what she was told.

The last thing Sunset saw of them when she looked up, was the unsure eyes of Rarity— almost like she was pleading for some sort of forgiveness.

But Sunset didn’t have any forgiveness left within her. Not anymore.

They still couldn’t wrap their minds around what they had just heard, even after they exited the shop and headed down to another café. Rainbow couldn’t stop spluttering about what nonsense it was while the rest shared different views on the matter. Eventually Rainbow’s gaze turned the soft pinkette and immediately Fluttershy hid behind her hair, trying to vanish from sight but it didn’t work as her eyes narrowed slightly as if Rainbow was trying to figure out her reasoning behind the matter.

“Why did you drag us out of there?”

“I didn’t want a fight,” Fluttershy squeaked out.

Rarity huffed. “We could have still stayed with no fights,” she stole a look at Rainbow who turned her gaze to the window, “— besides, we’re lucky the Cakes didn’t intervene. They most certainly would have.”

“Ah reckon it’s because of that Shadowbolt,” Applejack sighed. “She follows the rules.”

“Also she’s bluntly honest,” Pinkie chirped in as she stuffed her mouth with a cupcake. No one questioned where she got it.

Rainbow grumbled. “But why is she defending Shimmer anyways?”

Applejack frowned, arching a brow. “Why do ya care? Ya hate the Shadowbolts, especially Indigo Zap.”

“I don’t care!” Rainbow huffed angrily, eyes flashing as she leaned back in her seat. “I’m just curious as to why she’s defending her. Our schools are rivals, so there’s no reason for her to take Shimmer’s side. Hell, she shouldn’t even be sticking her nose in our business.”

“There must be some reason,” Rarity stressed.

Fluttershy nervously played with her hair, biting her lip. “What about that unfinished sentence Sugarcoat was saying?”

The group fell silent as they thought about it. What could they have almost made Sunset do? Why did that even matter? It was their lives being ruined, not Sunset’s. Their secrets were being spilled, not Sunset’s.

“Who cares?” Rainbow said. “What does matter is why Sugarcoat is defending Shimmer.”

“Give it a rest…” sighed Applejack. “Shy might have a point. Ah am kinda curious to know what the rest of the sentence would have been.”

Pinkie took a moment to think. “Aha!” she clicked her fingers and everyone turned to her before watching her go right back to her drink like nothing happened. “What?” she asked, mouth full when she realized they were staring at her.

Rarity sighed. “What did you realize?”

“Oh, I dunno. I just felt like saying it.”

“Of course.”

The table fell silent again for a few moments before their phones went off in union. When they glanced down, their stomachs plummeted. Anon-A-Miss was at it again. They didn’t want to look, why would they? But again, they were curious to see who was being targeted this time around. They shared a look; should they? It would only serve their anger further— they could just ignore it.

But… could they ignore Sunset’s next target?

“Fuck it,” Rainbow sighed, grabbing her phone. “I’ll take one for the team.”

Rarity sighed with relief. “Thank you, darling.”

After a minute with no response, Pinkie gave her friend a look. “Well? Who is it?”

Rainbow blinked, looking up. “Shy, your brother’s gay?”

“What?” Fluttershy asked, eyes wide as she looked at the post. Everyone’s eyes followed suit as they looked at Rainbow’s phone. “Zephyr?”

“He’s certainly kissing Sandalwood,” noted Pinkie.

Applejack hummed. “It’s not a bad secret… ah mean, ah like who ya like.”

“I’ll have to ask him when I get home,” Fluttershy said, making a metal note in her mind.

Silently, they all wondered why Zephyr’s secret wasn’t as bad as everyone else’s. Surely Sunset wasn’t homophobic, was she? That would raise new problems for her if she was, that was for sure.

“Here you go,” Sugarcoat said as she handed Sunset back her phone. “Text me.” She took out her phone, awaiting for the text.

“Okay,” Sunset breathed in shakily as she sent a simple text.

Hi.

Sugarcoat rolled her eyes at the usual first text and quickly saved Sunset’s number to her phone, making a mental note to create a new group chat with her friends to include Sunset or simply just add her to the current one. Of course she would make sure Sunset was okay with that before doing anything, and then she’d make sure her friends were down with the idea of adding Sunset.

This was also done to make sure Sunset had Sugarcoat’s number so she could easily get a hold of her when things got too tough to handle and Sugarcoat could easily check in on Sunset.

“Now, if they insult you, or do anything, you text me,” Sugarcoat demanded. “I’ll text back, regardless which class I have. Of course I might not when I have gym, but you understand, I can’t really text back during that class.”

Sunset nodded. “Thanks. For everything, I mean.”

“I’m not about to let you be pressured into suicide again,” Sugarcoat stated, downing the last of her drink. “Text or call me whenever you need to vent. Just… don’t cut yourself or try to commit suicide again.”

“That… might take some time— for the cutting, I mean,” Sunset sadly admitted.

Sugarcoat’s worry shot up again. For Sunset to easily admit that; it scared her. It was desperately clear that Canterlot High was no longer a safe haven. She didn’t feel happy to know Sunset was there. There was an easy way out of that hellhole, but would Sunset want to even consider the idea?

After all, it wouldn’t be easy switching schools since Winter Break was next week. No staff member right in their mind would want to think about doing school work during the break.

“Did you ever think about switching schools?” Sugarcoat asked slowly and gently.

Sunset rubbed the back of her neck. “A little bit, yeah. I just never went through with it considering Winter Break is coming up and… no staff would want to do paperwork during the break. Plus, I kinda thought this whole thing would have been done by now. They’d find the culprit by now and everything would be back to normal.”

“You should have gone through with it.”

“Probably, yeah.”

Sugarcoat gave her a look. “We both know it’s not safe for you there. It’s not.”

“I know,” Sunset sighed heavily, shrugging carelessly. “What can I do? It’s not like they’ll let me transfer now.”

Deep down they both knew Sunset wasn’t going to do anything about it. They knew it would be pointless but Sugarcoat had a plan. Surely they couldn’t say no if they had Principal Cinch’s agreement to the matter, could they? It would be easy to get Cinch to agree; Sugarcoat would say she knew a perfect student to join the Crystal Prep family, and the best part was; they’d be stealing them away from Canterlot High.

Sunset would be able to tell them Canterlot’s weakness they had yet to discover, and would be able to give them insight on how to humiliate them even further. Principal Cinch wouldn’t be able to say no.

Yes, that sounded like a plan.