• Published 1st Jun 2021
  • 161 Views, 0 Comments

The Staff of Sir Gallop the Wo/anderer - BoredAuthor817



Gallus accompanies Sunset Shimmer on a quest to locate ancient Equestrian artifacts.

  • ...
 0
 161

Chapter 7

Gallus's Journal : Entry #44

I'm not sure how long I wondered around the hotel (at this point I should clarify that it's really a motel—though I struggle to understand the difference).

Despite happy to be out the desert, one thing I quickly missed was looking up to see the starts. No such thing here in town. Light pollution, Professor Shimmer had called it.

I'd done probably my third or fourth lap around the place and was on my way back to my room when I was jumped by three dark figures who were lurking in the shadow of the stairs...


Gallus yelled, kicked and punched his assailants. He managed to knock one down and break free of the other two before making a run for it.

He wasn't sure which way he was going, only that it was probably best if he ran to the main office instead of his room.

Unfortunately, he didn't make it far before someone grabbed his shirt and yanked him backward. Gallus fell down with a yelp.

“Don't worry, little brother,” said a gently voice, “We're not going to hurt you.”

Gallus stopped struggling. “Dr. Diggs?”

“You don't sound surprised.”

“No,” Gallus shrugged, “Professor Sunset is expecting you.” It gave him satisfaction to see Diggs surprised.

---

Gallus lead the doctor to Sunset's room and knocked on the door. It opened to reveal Sunset with a smirk on her face. “That didn't take very long,” she said.

“Can we talk?” asked Dr. Diggs. Gallus noticed that all the confidence in his voice was gone.

Sunset nodded, “But your goons stay outside.”

Diggs seemed a bit hesitant.

“Look,” said Sunset, forcefully, “you need my help and the only way you're gonna get it is if do things on my terms.”

The doctor reluctantly acquiesced. He grabbed the chest and followed Gallus and Sunset into the room.

Sunset winced when she saw the chest. “Tell me what you didn't do to it.”

Gallus finally saw what she was talking about. It was covered with dents and scorch marks—none of which were there when they pulled it out of the ground one day earlier.

“Well,” Dr. Diggs teetered, “we didn't try nuking it from orbit...”

“Must be a really strong spell on that thing,” said Galllus, rather impressed.

Digg's eyes grew wide, “You knew?”

“Since I first read the inscription,” Sunset said, folding her arms.

“And you didn't say anything?”

“Well, let's see,” Sunset counted off on her fingers, “You ambushed us, tied is up, threw us in a pit, slashed my tires, and didn't say 'please'. Am I leaving anything out?”

“You forgot: Subjected us to a boring, long lecture,” said Gallus.

“I'm being nice.”

Whatever dignity was left in Dr. Diggs left and he quickly deflated. He pointed to Gallus. “Does he know?”

“Yeah,” Gallus said, “we've deduced you want to use the want to defeat Arimaspi.”

“Arimaspi is the least of our worries," said Diggs, "The Abysmal Abyss is our biggest obstacle. For centuries, griffons have ventured in, looking to retrieve the idol. None have ever returned.”

“I understand I'm only an outsider,” said Sunset, “But is the idol really worth retrieving after all this time? From what I understand, Griffonstone is making a comeback.”

“Yes, but having the idol back would greatly accelerate the process. Look, at this point, I don't care about the throne. My main concern is Griffonstone.”

“How very un-griffon of you,” remarked Gallus.

Diggs shrugged, “I guess my time here has changed me a bit.”

“You're buddies outside,” said Sunset, “they're giffons, too?”

Diggs nodded, “Each of them wanting to see Griffonstone returned to its former glory. Please, will you please us?”

Sunset raised an eyebrow.

“Look,” sighed Diggs, “the idol is my quest. In order to do it, I must do it alone—as much as possible, anyway. That's why I stranded you in the desert, I couldn't get anymore creatures involved—much less a pony... no offense.”

“Sounds like you're doing a little friendship quest on the side,” smirked Gallus.

Diggs looked at Gallus, perplexed. “What is a griffon doing running around with a pony anyway?”

“You must have been in this world quite a long time,” Gallus smiled, “Quite a few things have changed on Equus.”

“Speaking of which,” said Sunset, “The only way I can help you is if we are on Equus, and my only way to get there is currently under reconstruction.”

“Oh, I can take care of that,” said Diggs, “Just so happens that there's a portal near here, well sorta, it's out in the desert. If we start now, we can be there by morning.”

“You know where it leads?”

“Not exactly. Like you, the portal that brought me here from Griffonstone is also closed. We stumbled upon this one quite by accident.”

“... though very conveniently,” said Gallus.

“Well,” said Sunset, grabbing her jacket, “let's get going, then.”