• Published 1st Jun 2021
  • 161 Views, 0 Comments

The Staff of Sir Gallop the Wo/anderer - BoredAuthor817



Gallus accompanies Sunset Shimmer on a quest to locate ancient Equestrian artifacts.

  • ...
 0
 161

Chapter 6

Gallus's Journal : Entry #43

I can't say I was ever so excited to take a bath!

I laid in the water up to my chin until tit turned from hot to cold.

Reluctantly, I emerged from my watery paradise.

After over a month in a small RV, it is great to be in a hotel.

… and the fact that I got a room all to myself makes the deal all the sweeter!


Gallus rapped on the connecting door between his room and Sunset's.

“It's unlocked,” Sunset called out, “You can leave it open, if you want.”

Sunset was sitting at the desk, investigating the coin they took from the children. By the looks of it, she'd also enjoyed a bath.

Gallus took a seat on the end one of the double beds. “So, what do you make of it?”

“It's of Discord's work, no doubt. Must have just thrown it here a long time ago and forgotten about it.”

“Well, nothing like a surprise find.”

Sunset sighed, “I've got too many of those...” She put the coin away and made a note in her journal. “Which is why I've started looking for these artifacts, rather than just stumble upon them.”

“By the way, when are you gonna tell me what Dr. Diggs wanted with the staff?”

“Oh, that,” Sunset closed her books, “Well, how much did you hear?”

“Not much. The way he rambled, by the time he got the point, I'd already zoned out.”

“I was pretty much did the same,” laughed Sunset “It was a long lecture, wasn't it?”,

“Understatement... But, now I know where you got your teaching style.” He laughed at the glare Sunset gave him. “He went on an on about Gallagher,” continued Gallus, “What did that have anything to do with Sir Gallop's staff?”

“You missed the part where he said he was a mage?”

“Oh, yeah...” it was starting to return to him, “he was of the wise council that ruled the griffons before Grover the Great.”

“Then that's it!”

“What's it?”

Sunset fumbled through some notes. “How well do you know old Griffich?”

“Uhm... not at all...”

Sunset seemed disappointed by the answer. “Okay,” she said, “Well, let me walk you through the Old Ponish. And, this may answer your question on why the chest is so small.

“Early documents say that Gallop carried a stick. Later writers translated it as 'staff'. But, what if it really was a small stick—more like a wand?”

Gallus leaned forward. “A wand would make sense for a griffon—and is considerably smaller than a staff. So then, Gallagher is really Gallop?”

“More like Gallop is really Gallagher. Old sources state that he was from a distant land. Most scholars just assumed he was a pony who lived far outside Equestria. It wasn't uncommon for the time.”

“But why no mention that he wasn't a pony?”

Sunset shrugged. “He was a mage. Probably used some sort of cloaking spell so he could move freely among the ponies.”

“Well, if Gallop is really Gallagher, and a griffon, then his staff, or wand, is a griffon artifact and should be returned to Griffonstone.”

Sunset held up her hands, “Hey, I'm more than happy to give it back to you guys. I just want it found and out of this world.”

Gallus frowned, “So, Dr. Diggs was just being overly dramatic for something both of us agree on?”

Sunset teetered, “It's a little more than that. I suppose you missed the part where he claimed to be the rightful heir of Grover the Great.”

“Well, that doesn't mean very much!” laughed Gallus. He quickly noted Sunset's confusion. “Every griffon from Griffonstone is an heir of Grover the Great. In the thousand years since he reigned, we're all descendants of him, in one sort or another. Now, if he claims to be of the line of King Guto, that may be another thing. But, since he abolished the monarchy, the throne is pretty up for grabs by anyone at this point.”

“So, what?” said Sunset, “he just marches in, sits on the throne and declares himself king?”

“It's a bit more complicated than that. I suppose he didn't reveal his whole plan.”

“No, only that with the staff he would restore the griffon throne. I just assumed he'd use it as a scepter.”

Gallus shook his head. “King Grover united the griffons and established Griffonstone through the Idol of Boreas. It was King Guto who lost the idol to the monster Amiraspi and, in his shame, abolished the monarchy.

“Only by recovering the idol, can it be restored.” He tilted his head, “By the look you're giving, the pieces are beginning to fall into place.”

Sunset took in a deep breath, still in deep thought. “If the writings about Gallagher are true, and there is magic in his wand, then whoever would posses it would hold have the magical abilities on par with a unicorn. That would certainly be capable of defeating, or fending against, Amiraspi, if he still exists.”

Gallus sighed, “Well, that would certainly be something... And now he has the chest with the wand.”

“... that he can't open.”

He chuckled at the thought. “So close, and yet so far... Well,” he said getting up, “I think I'll go for a little walk before bed.”