• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 3,562 Views, 129 Comments

Freedom Through Harmony - Electricut



A mind**** of a crossover. MLP, Fire Emblem, Phantom Brave, Homestuck and some Zelda.

  • ...
20
 129
 3,562

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Sixty-four

Chapter Sixty-four
That night; Dreamscape
Fluttershy

Where... is this? Fluttershy thought, shaking her head clear. She had awoken only a moment before, sprawled out on some kind of dusty plain. She couldn’t see more than five feet in front of her face, as a thick fog floated all around her field of sight. I was asleep in my bed only a minute ago... Am I dreaming?... If so, this is kind of a dull dream. I guess it’s lots better than a nightmare, but... I thought I had more imagination than this.

“There’s nothing here because you’re not in full command of this dream.” A voice echoed across the expanse, causing Fluttershy to jump and scramble to her feet. “We’re both in equal control, but neither of us can do anything without the other’s consent. Such is the nature of the Dreamscape.”

“Wh-Who’s there?” Fluttershy stuttered, looking around wildly to try and pinpoint the voice.

“Don’t be scared, kiddo.” The voice said, much more sympathetically than before. “There’s nothing here that could hurt you, even if I wanted to. It does take some time to get used to, but I promise we’re safe here. I was a little scared too when I first got here, but I know enough now that I can show you around myself.”

Fluttershy stopped turning, and stared in wonder out into the featureless expanse. She recognized the voice now, and as she gazed into the distance, the form of its bearer began to take shape. “Creiddylad?” She whispered. “Big sis?”

“Sorry I couldn’t get to you before now, and in a better way than this.” Said Creiddylad as she walked into plain view. “But I’m here now. We’ve... We’ve got a lot to catch up on.”

“Creiddylad, it is you!” Fluttershy said, running up to her sister and giving her a hug. “So... What is this? Are we sharing the same dream? And this place- what was it you said, Dreamscape- what is it?”

“Uh... sort of. We’re both in the same dream, and it’s our unconscious minds talking to each other, yes. Well, let’s just start from the beginning, alright? The Dreamscape is kind of a central launching point for all dreams, in each person. This dreary place we’re at now is what it looks like when there’s no active dream going in the person’s mind. No-one ever sees this place under normal circumstances, because it’s just a diving board for the real dream. But if the person is getting visited in their dreams to receive a message from beyond, then the dreamer and the entity sending them the message will meet up here. From there, they can explore all over the place to discuss things.”

Fluttershy nodded thoughtfully, taking in all the information given to her. “I think I get it...” She said. “So, I’m seeing you because you need to tell me something? But... how are you doing this? Can anyone go into another person’s dream? Could I visit someone’s dream like this?”

“Er... no...” Creiddylad started, unsure of what to say. “See... Oh, Fluttershy, I’m so sorry about this... But only spirits, blessed by the graces of the Goddess, can do this. People sometimes have dreams in which a relative who’s passed away visits them and gives them guidance in times of need- well, this is how that happens.”

“I see...” Fluttershy mumbled. “But then... how...”

“How am I here?” Creiddylad finished sadly. “...Yeah... Oh, dear, I... I’m so sorry... I am a spirit now. Fluttershy... She got me. I’m... I’m dead.”

Fluttershy gaped at her. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing, but also couldn’t think of any reason why her sister would lie. But... She had to be lying! “What... Creiddylad, you... you can’t mean that... Sis, what do you mean you’re dead?! You can’t be serious...”

Creiddylad closed her eyes with an expression of extreme sadness. “Oh, sweetie, I really am sorry... But it’s true... I was executed just this morning... I did everything I could to stop Celestia, but she got me...”

Both sisters were close to tears. “No...” Fluttershy whimpered softly, her head hung low. “Sis, you can’t... You can’t be gone...” As the first tear fell from her eyes, she stumbled forward and threw herself at the spirit of her older sister, and wrapped her arms around her as tightly as she could.

“I’m sorry...” Creiddylad repeated, laying her head down on her sister’s. “I didn’t want to go out like this... But I’m glad that the Goddess gave me this chance to see you one last time... Fluttershy, after this, I’m moving on. You might not see me again... I don’t think I’ll be able to come back again. This is a very special circumstance, and I probably can’t leave heaven once I get in... But, listen now- I’ve got something important to tell you. All your friends- the other Elements- are also meeting people from their past right now, because it’s time you all found your roots and embrace your true power.”
________________

Rainbow Dash

“Give it to me straight bro.” I said before Ultraviolet even came into view. “How screwed are we right now?”

“Fairly screwed.” He agreed, striding into sight. “But no more than you were before.”

“Hey, I was meaning to talk to you next time you dropped in.” I said, approaching him. “Our last meeting kinda got cut short.”

“Yeah, well, we’ll have to make time for that later. I’m not here to answer your questions this time. I got a very lucky break in being able to talk to you right now. Normally they would have sent someone already in heaven to talk to you, not a phantom lingering on the edge of existence, but I begged enough and got this chance.”

I coked my head curiously. “Begged who? Who could possibly send people in heaven to deliver messages to people?”

“The Goddess, bro. The same one The Order is all crazy about. Get this: they aren’t kidding. She’s real and out there. She’s playing a part in this war by sending a message to each of the Elements of Harmony, one that tells you what you need to do and where you need to go to get strong enough to take the Queen.”

“The other’s are having a dream like this now too?” I asked. I was somewhat surprised: I thought only I had dreams like this, in which Ultraviolet was able to contact me from wherever he was, half-dead. To hear the others were experiencing the same thing... it was both good and bad. On one hand, they would have a chance to see someone close to them again and share their experiences and what they never could while they were alive...

On the other hand, they would probably have to say goodbye all over again.

“Yeah.” Ultraviolet answered. “Someone close to each of them is coming back- when it’s possible that is- to deliver this message. AJ’s probably being met by her mom, and... Ah, man, being a phantom sucks. I’m not omnipotent like this, I forget who all is on your team. Rarity? She’s probably seeing her mom too. Twilight and Pinky... I don’t know. They might just hear a voice that says where they need to go, and not get anything else. I don’t think either of them have lost anyone close to them.”

“And Fluttershy?” I asked, concerned. Fluttershy was a fragile person, and I really didn’t want this to be painful for her. I hoped that whatever happened, she would be okay.

“Hard to say... Maybe that heron princess that she and her sister sheltered? Sounds like she and Fluttershy were pretty close. See, the Goddess didn’t really give me a lot of outside information for this... She just gave me what I needed to tell you, then sent me on my way.”
_______________

Twilight

“Travel deep within Eclipse, to the place long forsaken by the Queen.” The omnipresent voice echoed across Twilight’s Dreamscape. There hadn’t been much pretense about this meeting, if one could call it that. Twilight got her bearings in the empty dream world, a voice told her she would be receiving information, and then it began unloading on her. “In the swamps west of the capital city, there exists an ancient ruin. It is here that you will find the last testament of your ancestor, who fought valiantly in the civil war of Equestria. This remnant will lead you back here, where you will receive from this ancestor the skill you will need to move forward.”

Twilight’s mind was working fast, faster than it had been for so long. She had fallen so far down lately, and was so lonely... She didn’t expect to be approached with a way out in a dream, but she was ready to accept the word of this omnipresent voice and move forward. It had brought up another detail from before, something Xekora had told them. He had said they would one day be sent searching for their ancestors, who would give them something that would help them... fight the Queen.

Despite what it implied, Twilight was ready. She wanted to find herself, and part of that could well be finding who she was descended from. That, and... This ancestor fought in the civil war. So did Jonathan the Arcmage. Could there be a connection? Could Jonathan possibly be her ancestor? There was only one way to find out, and Twilight was ready to take it. She was finally ready to burst forth from her depression and forge her own destiny again.
___________________

Rarity

“The Castle of Dawn?” Rarity asked, confused. Her mother walked with her through the nothing, arm around her daughter. “But that’s neck-deep in the EverFree forest... Here I thought I’d never have to set foot in that horrid part of the forest ever again. This person I’m looking for, my- well, our, I suppose- ancestor- How could we be descended from them if they spent their time in that place?”

Cybel laughed warmly. “I thought that too at first, believe me. But let me say this: five hundred years ago, Equestria was a different place. The EverFree forest was barely more than a little backwoods-y area, and the kingdom of Dawn was such a grand place... Ah, if only I could show you. Regrettably, I do not have that much influence here... Our ancestor does, however, and I have no doubt she will use the power of the Dreamscape to show you the land she knew.”

“She? So it was a woman...” Rarity stated.

“There were three of each on the team of six that aided Nightmare Moon in the original rebellion against Celestia, yes.” Cybel explained. “One of each came from each old country. I imagine you’ll be traveling two to a team towards your destinations, as the six fighters were quite close by the time they died, and likely were laid to rest near each other.”

“Only teams of two?” Rarity asked. “Is this something we can’t bring others along with us to?”

“Well... there’s nothing that says you can’t bring backup. But I wouldn’t advise bringing the whole standing force of Icarus, that would only slow you down.”

“No, I didn’t mean that. Just Opal, and maybe someone else depending on which other Element comes with me.”
________________

Fluttershy

“The last will of our ancestor...” Fluttershy repeated, wiping her eyes dry. Creiddylad kept a sympathetic hand on her sister’s shoulder as she spoke, getting her head around all the new information. “He left it at the ruins of the capital city of Dusk, so that’s where I need to go?”

“That’s right.” Creiddylad confirmed. “I know a fair amount about him, but I’ve been asked not to say much to you now... He probably wants to tell you all about it himself when you meet his spirit, and he teaches you his skill. But I will say this: it’s because of him that we were raised with knowledge of the Goddess, the same that The Order worships. Our ancestor always claimed he met her in person during the war, and that story was passed all the way down to us.”

Fluttershy nodded. Creiddylad continued, her voice dropping a level. “But back to the topic... The ruin of Dusk isn’t exactly an inviting place. I’d just as soon not have you set foot in that forsaken place, but we don’t have much option... So I want you to be ready. There are some creatures there- mindless, bloodthirsty beasts- and they unfortunately won’t be placated by your song. I know you’ve been training with a bow and arrows, so I want you to bring all of that and any armor you have; and since there are no rules against it, try and find some extra backup to come with you. Another of the Elements will make the trip with you, but I’d feel better if you had a party of three rather than one of two.”

“A-Alright...” Fluttershy stuttered, nodding. “Sis, I... I just don’t know about this... I know I’ve been training and getting better, but... I still hate fighting. I don’t know if I could actually use the bow if it came to a serious fight, and I never want to use it to take a life... Oh, Creiddylad, I just wish you could be there with me...”

“I know, kiddo.” Her sister whispered, giving her a final hug. “But you’ll do fine out there. Those creatures aren’t human, or even technically alive- they’re apparitions of darkness and live only to fight, so there isn’t any moral problem in destroying them. And don’t worry- I’m sure whoever comes with you will be able to watch your back and do most of the fighting.

“And... I wanted to say this before I leave... I’m really proud of you, sis. You’ve been so strong since you moved from home, and I’m glad I let you. That poor Scrabbit kid from Ivoire, Angel- you’ve done so much for him since you found him in the woods, and you’ve almost been like a mother to him when you’re so young yourself... I’m so proud to call him my weird brother-nephew... thing. And you’ve been so helpful to your friends even when not fighting, and got the rest of the heron music to help heal the people Celestia corrupted with that awful drug, and... I’m just really proud of everything you’ve done, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy felt herself begin to tear up again involuntarily, but Creiddylad gave her a gentle shake. “No more tears, okay? You’ve got a job to do, kiddo. I’m going to go ahead and take off and let you get some sleep, but listen- you may not see me again, but I’ll always be with you. Okay? As long as you keep me in your memory, I’ll always be there with you in spirit.”
______________

Rainbow Dash

“Well, that was pretty much what I was going to ask you about anyway...” I said after Vi had finished. “Xekora had mentioned that we’d hear about our ancestors, and I wanted to ask you if you knew anything. Slipped my mind last time, since we were rushed, and now you’ve answered it already.”

“Funny how that happens, isn’t it?” He confirmed. “Anyway, now that we’re done with that, I wanted to say one other thing. I tried last time, but you woke up too soon. It’s about that Scootaloo kid you’ve grown so fond of. It’s... It’s really a great thing that you’re doing for him. The poor kid’s had a rough life so far, and I think it’s great that you’ve taken him under your wing- so to speak, perhaps literally in the future, but anyway- You’ve been like a real big-brother to him when he really needed it.”

I rubbed the back of my head awkwardly. “Uh, yeah, thanks... I learned from the best, I guess. Uh, where are you going with this?”

He closed his eyes and chuckled in spite of himself. “Man, I’m bad at this. Point is, I just wanted to say I’m proud of you for taking care of him when no-one else would and... I dunno, just keep up the good work... Heh. Later bro!”
______________

Fluttershy

Fluttershy awoke back in her darkened room, almost in a cold sweat, and immediately noticed the dried tears that had fallen in reality during her dream. For a tiny fleeting moment, she wanted to believe that it had been only that- a horrible dream- but knew it wasn’t. It was too real even now. She had to go to Dusk to find the remaining will of her ancestor. The whole team of Elements was to do the same.

Creiddylad was gone. Dead. She would never see her again.

Just as she felt herself begin to tear up once more, she let her gaze travel over to the window, where a thin ray of pale moonlight filtered in, illuminating the room in a ghostly glow. Crouching before the light at the foot of her bed, tall ears perked up curiously, was Angel. Squinting through her watery eyes, she could see his large yellow eyes looking at her with concern, and he seemed generally tired and worried.

“Fluttershy, are you okay?” He asked in a whisper. “You were rolling all around and crying in your sleep. I thought you were having a nightmare. I tried waking you, but you wouldn’t wake up, so I just stayed here until you woke. Are you okay?”

Fluttershy shook her head, both in shrugging off the issue, and saying no I am not okay. “I... I had kind of a vision in my dream.” She explained quietly. She decided she’d try to tell Angel what had happened so he knew what she had to do tomorrow, but break the news gently. “I saw... I saw Aunt Creiddylad there. She told me that I have to go to the old capital of Dusk, to find something left behind by our great-great... some big number of great’s grandfather. But... She said that she... She’s gone... Celestia...”

Fluttershy’s tiny voice was cracking as she spoke, and Angel stared in concerned wonder as she spoke, then pulled himself to his knees and crawled further up the bed. Her eyes were closed, so she only felt it as he pulled himself under the sheets and snuggled up comfortingly next to her. She started slightly at the sudden action, but soon realized what Angel was doing. He might have been surprised by this haunting news, but he was putting on a brave face for Fluttershy and giving her a shoulder to cry on.

She beamed at him, amazed at how compassionate the tiny rabbit-boy was being, and wrapped her arms around his fluffy form thankfully. She realized that Angel probably knew exactly what she was going through, since he had lost his whole family all at once as well. Fluttershy may have only lost one person, but other than Angel, Creiddylad was the only family she had ever known. Both were alone, but together, and she felt somewhat stronger for it. She was still wracked with sadness over the truth of her sister’s death, but she was at least able to finish the night’s sleep with another kindhearted spirit there with her.

PreviousChapters Next