• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 3,562 Views, 129 Comments

Freedom Through Harmony - Electricut



A mind**** of a crossover. MLP, Fire Emblem, Phantom Brave, Homestuck and some Zelda.

  • ...
20
 129
 3,562

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen
Town
Outer Field

Lugging the target off to the side, I finished moving the archery equipment out of the way, and took my place with the other two spectators. The two mages- one dressed casually and yet more properly for the occasion, and one in more formal attire completely unsuited for battle, took their places on opposite sides of the field.

Trixie planted her broomstick staff (Or ‘Boomstick’, as I had overheard her calling it) firmly into the ground. Twilight used no weapon, but had equipped a pair of fingerless gloves. Spike stepped forward. “The only rules I have should go without saying- aim to disable, not to seriously injure. We can heal small injuries, but let’s not drag this into the hospital. And since it’s fire and lightning, be careful not to hit any of the trees. Other than that, any light battle techniques are fair game.”

He stepped back, and gave a signal for them to ready themselves. Twilight’s right foot skidded back a foot or so, and she pulled one hand back and held one out, both with open palms. A small thunder spell began forming in each. Trixie spun her weapon and brandished it behind her, and a fire spell began collecting at its ends.

They charged at each other. Twilight threw her spells at her full force, and Trixie twirled her flaming staff expertly, deflecting both bolts into the dirt. She jumped into the air and brought down the staff like a spear, and Twilight spun out of the way, throwing another shot as she landed.

Twilight’s had some kind of training. I admitted. Most mages use tomes to cast spells, or at least do it from a distance. Twilight’s fighting style is almost like a blend of weaker magic and martial arts, but stationary when it’s a big spell, like at the castle. Twilight caught the weapon as it approached, and lunged at Trixie with another blast. Trixie spun quickly out of the way, wrenching the staff from Twilight’s grip and throwing a bullet of fire her way. Twilight backflipped out of the way.

The duel continued in this manner for some time, neither willing to accept defeat. Small wounds accumulated, and I could tell Spike was getting antsy. The two jumped back, both panting. Twilight’s arms barely lifted into their stance, and Trixie was relying more on the weight of her weapon now.

And just like that, it was over. The two both stepped forward and shook hands, calling it a draw. They separated and collapsed to the grass below. Spike was quick to react, and out of courtesy I picked myself up and walked over myself. The two had fallen from exhaustion, but were otherwise fine, laughing silently. Spike hefted them both off the ground, gave me a quick grin, and began the short trek back to the library.

I looked in the sky. It was getting later in the afternoon now. I felt I had taught Fluttershy most everything I could, and told her to just keep practicing what I’d already told her until we could find a proper tutor. I handed her the old bow and arrows, picked up the bulky foam target, and let her lead the way back to her home. I dragged the thing across town and to another smaller exit on another side.

A small dirt path led away from town aways, and near a small woodland area. Situated in the center of a large group of trees was a smallish house, somewhat typically furnished with a simple porch swing, but colorfully decorated with various flowers and plants. A few small animals were visible on the fringes of the wood, not seeming to mind Fluttershy, but eyeing me suspiciously.

She opened the front door, and let me into the decently sized den. Once again, aside from the plants and clear animal presence, the furnishings were very simple. A pair of old cushioned sofas were set across from each other, and a game board of some kind sat upon a table between them.

“Ah... Here, we can just move this out of the way...” She moved over to a small chest near the door, and I set down the target to help her. We both lifted an end of it, and carried it over to the other wall.

“So, it’s just you living here?” I asked. It seemed kind of a big place for one person.

“Me and Angel. But he’s out training in the forest right now. I’ve been taking care of him ever since I found him all alone in the forest, after his family was killed, poor thing... As soon as he could lift that scythe of his, he’s trained hard to protect me in return. He’s not too fond of other people, though, and mostly just stays by my side.”

This world is just swimming in orphans... At least this one wasn’t by Celestia’s hand, I don’t think. She would have taken him in that case. “Poor guy...” I said. “I... I kinda know how he feels, actually... I never knew my parents, and spent a lot of my life taken care of by Applejack’s family. It’s been tough, but... I couldn’t have asked for a better foster home, I guess.”

The words came out slow, reluctantly. Many people around town already knew what happened to me, so it wasn’t as though this was a huge secret I had been keeping- still, I found it a sore subject even now. But speaking with Fluttershy, everything seemed to be a bit easier to discuss, the atmosphere seemed generally more comfortable. Her very presence just lightened the mood wherever she was.

“Oh, I’m... I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hit a sore spot...” She said quickly.

“No, it’s alright. I’m the one who brought it up. I’m okay to talk about it, just kind of a little-touched subject. Ah... Anyway, I guess you want the archery stuff over by the door there?” I retrieved the foam target and set it next to the bow and quiver where they sat near the door. “So, yeah, keep practicing whenever you have time, and I’ll make sure to find someone who knows how to shoot. So, you wanna head back to town?”

“Actually, I have some things to take care of around here. Animals to look after, you know. But I’ll make sure to catch up later, okay?”

“Sure. Be seeing you then.” I waved backwards as I stepped outside, and set off down the path back to town.
__________________

The remainder of the day passed by without much to mention- I finally got around to swinging by the bulletin board, and headed over to the farm when I saw no job offers. I lent a hand in all the various odd jobs they had to take care of- they kept several animals on hand, and had vast fields of produce to look after, some of which were ready to harvest already, among most of the others who were getting close.

The largest building on the plot of land, the living quarters, was atop a hill near the entrance, grouped in with several smaller ones- tool sheds, stables, and other farm equipment- while all the actual farmland and fenced in animal-areas lay downhill from them. After pulling in the remainder of the crops in the area, I lifted into the air with the sack I had thrown them all in, and lugged it back to the group of structures. I dropped it off at one of the smaller buildings and entered the house.

As I often did, I accepted their offer of dinner, but didn’t accept any offer of cash payment. We went through this most of the time when I did work for them- unless I was really strapped for cash (in which case I would only accept begrudgingly), I would insist they keep the money. They were all family to me, and working there was just me helping to keep up the homestead.

I swung into the dining room casually, taking my usual place near the center of the long table, next to Applejack. Even before I had been taken in by the family, AJ and I had been close. She had been my companion for as long as I could remember, and probably longer. She had always been like a sister to me, and yet... In recent years, there had seemed to be something more to her. A certain quality I couldn’t quite place... This had been lingering at the back of my mind for some time now, but it never became any clearer.

A few of the family’s more distant members were still in town after the festival- only a week had passed since then, and since their hometowns were quite a trip from here, they usually stayed for some time. As such, the normally half-full table was nearly full. Granny Smith- the eldest member of the family and general wise-elder figure- sat at one end of the table, while Mac- stoic warrior, big brother to all, and for all intents and purposes head of the family- at the other.

Lastly, on my other side sat my other little adoptive sister person, young Applebloom. Although she didn’t like to admit it, I knew she had a profound respect and admiration for me, and I had even caught her swinging around a wooden sword at some animals once or twice, mimicking the techniques she had seen me use. She had long burgundy hair and bright bronze eyes, and was eleven years of age now- six younger than myself and the others I had been thrown in with lately.

Dinner had already been laid out a few minutes previously for the day’s workers (Myself, AJ, Mac and one of their cousins) so once I took my place we all dug in. I ate slightly more than was physically possible, as usual, collected my things, and prepared to depart. As I stepped outside into the darkened sky, I could see along the road two dull lights bouncing along frantically. They were both headed straight for the farm.

“Hey Applejack, you might want to get out here. I think we’re about to have company.”

PreviousChapters Next