• Published 15th Dec 2021
  • 847 Views, 93 Comments

Friendship One - BRBrony9



In the last, desperate hours before doomsday, a final, fateful rocket prepares to leave the planet and carry the hopes, dreams, and future of all ponykind with it.

  • ...
3
 93
 847

There And Back Again

One year until G-Day.

That was what some were calling it. The G stood for Gamma, of course.

The past few years had been hard on Equestrian society. Though there had been no more riots, the functioning wheels of a nation were slowly breaking down and crumbling, just as King Grissom had predicted. Equestrians were weary, hollowed out by living in constant morbid fear of the future. Suicide rates had skyrocketed, an epidemic of hangings and brain matter smeared on bedroom ceilings by single gunshots. Suicide was, for the past year, the second most common cause of death, right behind heart disease. Many ponies had reached the end of their tether, sick of every waking moment being dominated by G-Day, listless and broken, jobless, worthless.

The economy had crashed, despite the best efforts of the central bank and treasury department. The closer G-Day came, the less desire ponies had to go out and work. Inflation caused by the Griffons slapping huge tariffs on every export meant nopony could afford to buy much anyway. Even essential services were affected by the shortage in workers, and big cities like Manehattan and Canterlot could suffer several rolling blackouts in a single day. It could take half an hour to summon a fire truck when your house was burning. Your post might arrive several weeks late, if it ever came. The only things truly functioning at full capacity were the military and Project Rebirth.

The interior of Friendship One was almost completed. The crew were undergoing intensive training, for first they had to become Equinauts. Everypony aboard would have to know exactly what they were doing, and be able to perform multiple roles to a decent degree of competence. A flight surgeon would have some rudimentary knowledge of operating the ships' controls, an engineer might learn how to work in the hydroponics bay, and so on.

The selection process had been rigorous. Likely candidates had been processed, selected, screened, re-screened, security checked, double-checked and triple-checked, and then requested to attend a training camp at the ESEA's Baltimare assembly facility. Some were obscure scientists- biologists, geneticists, agricultural engineers- but a few were well-known to the general public. Colonel- now promoted to General- Spitfire, the mission's commander, was chief among those names. An experienced Equinaut, Spitfire had been a combat pilot and commander of the Wonderbolts, the elite flight-demonstration jet squadron, before being selected to join the Equinaut Corps and flying two missions to the space stations and three to the moon. As a grizzled veteran of spaceflight and of leadership positions, Spitfire was an ideal candidate to be mission commander for Friendship One, as a joint military-ESEA project.

Once the mission-critical roles had been filled- commander, chief engineer, astronavigator and so on- thought turned to how to populate the rest of the ship, and thus, their new home, should the grand experiment go to plan. That was a more complex process. A national lottery of sorts was devised, with each citizen of Equestria being given a number. The allocation for each race- Unicorn, Earth and Pegasus- was identical, so that there would be a good spread of genetic diversity among the crew. Considerably smaller numbers were allocated to Zebras and Yaks, while an even smaller percentage of 'seats' were assigned to Griffons. This was simply because Kingdom of Griffonia wanted nothing to do with the process, and so the ESEA only had a small stock to choose from, those Griffons who were citizens of Equestria.

Their numbers were drawn and their records checked. If they possessed no obvious disqualifying features, such as a long criminal record, weak heart, or balance problems, they were sent an official, sealed letter by direct courier (the postal system being hardly trustworthy any longer). A medical examination, psychiatric screening, and other tests would then be administered once they arrived at the Baltimare camp, now something of a tent city beside the vast, curved hangars and assembly buildings. If they passed, and were willing to undergo the necessary training, they were in the programme.

There were naturally numerous rejections. Many ponies wanted to stay with their loved ones, or were scared of space travel, or thought the position should go to somepony more qualified. There were plenty of qualified ponies who had been specifically chosen, however- doctors, physicists, botanists, engineers, teachers, mining experts and the like, every specialty that you would need to create a self-sustaining colony. However, as one of the mission planners put it, you didn't want your colony to consist entirely of space-nerds because then you would 'end up with a colony, and thus a species, with more than its fair share of mental disorders and capable of being bullied by every alien who might want our lunch money.' That was where the ponies chosen at random from the lottery came in, bringing a wide range of talents, personalities, and traits to the table.

While all this had been going on, and the clock had been ticking down toward G-Day, there had been one more crucially important flight. A shuttle, with no modifications save its crew, had been launched. The seven unicorns aboard had been given a simple task, one familiar to test pilots down through the ages; see how fast you could make the damn thing go.

Scientists had theorised that, as well as pushing the ship forward, magic could, perhaps, be used both as a shield and as a kind of quantum bubble. This hope, vague though it had been, was what had given Celestia the impetus to start Project Rebirth in the first place, because it was the only way the ship could ever achieve a speed sufficient to outrun the gamma ray burst. The shielding effect would protect from micrometeorite impacts and interstellar cosmic radiation, and the bubble would- it was fervently hoped- act in a similar way to cavitation in water, a concept used by Equestrian submarines, whose torpedoes were designed to produce such bubbles by directing the flow of water around them in a certain way so as to change its pressure and cause bubbles to form, which in turn hugely reduced the friction and drag of water on the torpedo, allowing it to achieve speeds several times faster than any other form of underwater weapon. The idea was that the magic, surrounding the ship, might conceivably allow it to travel much faster than would be possible with ion drives, rockets or any other known form of technological propulsion. It was even theorised that it might be able to use magic as a kind of wormhole, and simply tunnel through space.

The test flight proved the theory beyond any doubt.

Starting from orbital velocity, the crew of the shuttle used their magic to power away from the planet, not stopping once they reached a certain speed, as the first magic-powered tests had done. They kept going, and going, and going, tracked all the way by the ground stations and mission command, out beyond the moon's orbit in a matter of hours instead of days. In doing so they became the most distant ponies from Equis, the greatest travellers in all of history- though the distance they had covered was a minuscule pinprick compared to how far Friendship One would be required to go.

Once they were clear of the moon, they accelerated again, and the next portion of the mission was to test the shielding theory. All on board were fully prepared to die in pursuit of the goal, making sure Friendship One could achieve its great and noble aim, but death did not find the Equinauts on their flight. They passed through the asteroid belt- not the densely clustered labyrinth of popular myth as depicted in sci-fi movies, but still dangerous enough- and accelerated again, constant streams of magic, never ceasing, pushing them forward faster and faster until the orbital telescopes viewing them noticed the craft appearing to slowly turn red, a product of the rapidity at which it was now pulling away from them, red-shifting the light it reflected toward earth in much the same way as distant, receding galaxies did.

Not only the visible light was stretched in such a fashion; so were the radio waves from the shuttle's communications system. This was an issue that had been considered, but sidelined because the ship would have to be travelling far faster than was imagined possible for it to be a serious problem. As it was, they began to rapidly lose contact with the shuttle. Communications were already impeded by the fact that there was a delay, due to the distance between Equis and the shuttle, meaning a message sent would not be received for almost ten minutes, but now the frequency of the transmissions sent from the shuttle was changing too, thanks to its speed, meaning they were not being picked up by radios on the ground which were tuned to the frequency that had been in use since the start of the flight. Some frantic scrambling followed as mission control tried to adjust to a broader-band transmission to re-establish contact.

Deep-space radar lost track of the shuttle entirely at one point, and the fears of mission control began to grow. Another failure. It didn't work, couldn't work. Foolish, a waste of brave lives.

Then, a radio transmission, delayed, according to the timestamp given, by at least four hours.

"Hoofston, this is the Valiant. Canterlot time 12:34 and eighteen seconds. We are commencing deceleration procedures. Current distance from Equis...twenty-nine point six-five-one Celestial Units. Speed unknown, we've maxed out our recorders. Damn things are just spinning around like they're altimeters and we're in a nosedive. I hope you've been keeping a good record."

There would have been great cheers at the arrival of this signal, had the Valiant not already arrived back at Equis, outpacing its own message and, in doing so, smashing the science of physics into a thousand pieces, for the Valiant had been outrunning light itself.

In a little over two hours, the shuttle had travelled almost thirty Celestial Units into the void, and then back home again. One Celestial Unit was the distance between Equis and Celestia's sun, so this put the craft far out in the edges of the solar system, in the vast darkness where comets like to lurk. This kind of speed was astronomically higher than anything ever achieved by any other Equestrian ship or deep-space probe. It had been considered an impossibility; the speed of light in a vacuum was the ultimate, the one barrier that could never be broken by science.

That was why it had taken magic to break it, a force that still, even to modern scientists, was baffling and all but incomprehensible. After all, the sun weighed trillions of tons, yet Celestia could control it and move it, a physical impossibility according to physics. Magic, it seemed, could bypass reality in many ways, an ability not just limited to Alicorns. The Unicorn crew of the Valiant had been able to drive the shuttle an almost infinite distance beyond its design parameters, out into deep space where it was never meant to go, at speeds considered impossible, fanciful, the preserve of science-fiction stories with imaginary propulsion systems like wormhole drives and hyperspace generators.

This success led to some commentators questioning why Equestria was only building one colony ship, and not dozens, to transport the entire population, or at least a much larger chunk of it, to their new and distant home. The answer was simple- they did not have the resources to build more than one. The number of rocket launches required to transport things to orbit was already stretching the system to capacity, with far more launches per month than had ever been attempted before. Industry, now fully under government control, was at the limits of production capacity trying to churn out more boosters and shuttles to get the constituent parts of Friendship One into orbit. What little spare capacity existed was being funnelled into the construction of underground bunkers which comprised the second part of the hopeful rescue plan for ponykind. Nor were there enough trained Equinauts to build a second ship, let alone an entire fleet of them., even with the rapid step-up in training and the invitations sent through the lottery scheme.

No time, no resources, no crew for anything more than a single ship. Everything would ride upon her, for they would only get one shot at success. But with the Valiant's success, for the first time since Celestia's fateful speech, the world could allow itself to feel a little sliver of something they had almost forgotten ever existed.

Hope.