• Published 6th Sep 2012
  • 3,439 Views, 30 Comments

Twilight, sister of Celestia - Winona

  • ...
14
 30
 3,439

Chapter 2: The statue

Twilight was surprised with herself for completing the spell, and was especially surprised that she completed it so well! She watched as the bunny began to do several tricks, obviously happy to hop again.

“Oh, Angel!” Fluttershy shouted, worried. “Be careful! You need to rest your leg!”

Twilight heard this, and smiled at how caring her friend was, “Oh, Fluttershy! Don’t worry! The spell fixed his leg like it's had a month of rest!”

“Oh… okay…” Fluttershy said quietly. She didn't like the idea of arguing, and even less so when she was against her friends.

Fluttershy began to hear hoofsteps. Someone is coming. she thought. It's walking here... no, running! It's running this way! Fluttershy's eyes widened. She turned to her friend.

"Twilight! Someone is-"

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE!!!” A voice yelled.

"AH!" At the sound of that voice Fluttershy jumped high in the air, and the moment she got down, she flew straight into the nearest bush.

Twilight saw a pony running towards them, but she couldn't tell who is was, yet. She thought about the voice. She recognized it as the traditional royal Canterlot voice. Who do I know that uses the royal Canterlot voice? she thought. Ah, I know. She turned to the pony running towards her. “Princess Luna? Are you okay?”

Luna ran up to them, panting. “Twilight Sparkle! Celestia… she needs you… inside…”

"But are you alright?" Twilight's face showed compassion for the princess of the night. Compassion that Luna greatly appreciated. Twilight was her first friend in Ponyville, and her closest friend, not including Celestia.

Luna tried to calm down, and she smiled at Twilight. “I… ran as fast… as I could…”

Twilight looked confused. “You ran? Luna, why didn’t you just teleport here?”

Luna’s eyes widened. Why didn't she? In the surprise of what Celestia had just showed her, she must have forgotten that she was able to use magic. I also could have used my wings... she thought. "Twilight Sparkle, next time I wish to travel far, please remind me that I am an alicorn.”

“Uh… sure.” Twilight said, still looking consfused.

“Now, come Twilight Sparkle and friends! Celestia needs you!” Luna started to run back to the Castle.

“Uh… Princess Luna?”

“Now time to loose, Twilight Sparkle!”

“But, Luna!”

Luna sighed and stopped herself with a skid. “What could be more important?!?!”

Twilight pointed a hoof to her own horn. “You don’t have to run, you know.”

Luna’s eyes widened. She allowed her forehoof to smack her in the face. How does one forget wht she has just said 10 seconds ago? Luna sighed. “Thank you Twilight Sparkle.”

Princess Luna’s long horn began to glow bright blue, but before her spell was completed, she was interuppted by a baby dragon.

“WAIT!!!” Spike yelled.

“What, Spike?” Twilight's eyes widened. She was of course, worried about her #1 assistant.

Spike took a deep breath, and spoke at last. “I don’t like teleporting.” He confessed.

Twilight also let her hoof hit her face. "Ugh."

"But..." Spike began. He didn't just dislike teleporting, he hated it. Mostly, it was because he never knew where he would end up. She felt better when Twilight teleported him, because she ussually told him where they were going. This time, it was Princess Luna who was teleporting him. The mare who was formerly Nightmare Moon. He believed that she had changed, but he was still uncomfortable around her. Also, he didn't know where in the Castle they would end up. Maybe they wouldn't end up in the castle at all!

Somewhere in the middle of his thoughts, Spike heard a small voice.

“Um… I don’t really like it either…” Fluttershy said, quietly. Spike smiled. He was glad he wasn't the only one who disliked teleporting.

It seemed that Twilight didn’t hear her, though.

“Go for it, Luna!” shouted Twilight.

Luna's horn began to glow bright blue, again. Spike and Fluttershy prepared to disappear and reappear in an entierly different area. Spike's eyes widened. He felt a pony hugging him. He turned around, and found himself being hugged by the yellow pegasus. Well, I'm not that scared of teleporting. he thought. Luna's horn grew brighter and brighter, and Spike blurted "Yes I am!" out loud. He dragged Fluttershy to Twilight and hugged her. Twilight turned around to see Fluttershy hugging Spike, and Spike hugging her. She rolled her eyes, but stood still for the baby dragon. There was a flash of light, and in the next moment, they were all in the dark room that Luna had been in before, all 12 lanterns still glowing.

The ponies slowly took in their surroundings. Twilight recognized several ancient tools that she had read about in her studies. This must be where Celestia keeps things from her past. Maybe she wanted to teach us about ancient times.

Celestia noticed the flash of light from behind her when the teleported in. She looked away from the statue and turned around to see the ponies. “Hello, again my little ponies.”

“Hello again, Princess!” Twilight smiled.

A moment after those words were said, Twilight saw the expression on Celestia’s face. Disappointment. Sadness. Fear. Why? Twilight thought. And her smile dropped a spilt-second after it appeared.

“What’s wrong, Princess?” Twilight became worried.

“As much as I love coming to Canterlot,” Rarity added, “I do not understand why it was so urgent.”

“I don’t mind really…” Flutttershy muttered.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes at Fluttershy and sighed. “So, what is it, Princess… es?”

Luna smiled at Rainbow recognizing her, but then a thought came to her mind. Someone was missing. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza! She needs to hear this! Luna spoke before Celestia could. “Before that, I must find Cadance. She should know about this, too.”

Then Luna teleported away, leaving Twilight and the others to stare at Celestia. Her head hung low, tears all over her face.

Twilight’s full attention immediately went to Celestia after Luna left. “Princess…” she began. “you didn’t answer my question. What's wrong? Are you sad? Is it personal? If you’re uncomfortable with answering, I-”

Celestia cut her off.

“No, Twilight. In truth, I am sad, but I shall explain soon enough.”

A tear fell from Celestia’s cheek as she said so; and as that tear fell, Twilight’s worries for her teacher grew stronger. Celestia... why are you so sad? She had never seen Celestia like this, and she never thought she would. She couldn't believe her eyes. Her friends had begun to admire the ancient tools, but not Twilight. She was facinated by them, yes... but she knew Celestia needed her. She stared at the Princess while they waited for Luna. Complete silence fell throughout the room, and it stayed that way until Luna returned with Cadance AND Shinning Armor.

Celestia looked up to see them. She was quite surprised to see Shinning Armor, and her expression showed it clearly. Luna knew her sister well. Before she could even ask, an answer came.

“Cadance did not wish to come without him, if it was so important.” Luna said to her sister.

A smile came upon Celestia’s face, and she nodded at Cadance and Shinning Armor aprovingly. “Very good, Cadance.”

The pink alicorn proudly smiled back to her aunt. “Thank you, Auntie Celestia.”

After a few moments, Celestia’s smile disappeared yet again. “Well, I’m sure you all have been wondering what this is all about.”

“Well, duh!” Pinkie Pie said excitedly.

“Pinkie!” Twilight yelled. “That’s no way to speak to the Princess!”

“Oh, it’s quite alright Twilight.” Celestia said, her smile nearly coming back.

“So, what’s this all ‘bout, Princess?” Applejack seemed as worried as Twilight.

Celestia sighed again, then turned to Cadence. “Do you remember Twilight?”

Cadance giggled. “She’s… over there…” she pointed a hoof at the lavender mare, who giggled, too.

“No, not that Twilight.” Celestia frowned. Remember, Cadance... remember.

“Two Twilights?!?!” Pinkie shouted.

“Indeed.” Celestia looked calm, and so did Luna. Luna had heard it before.

Celestia turned back to Cadance. “Do you remember… ancient times?”

“Barely…” Cadance admitted.

“Cadance…” Celestia’s voice was full of sadness. “Do you remember the first time… Discord took over?”

Cadance’s eyes widened. “I was just a filly… but, yes. I remember some of it. Chaos.”

Celestia could barely speak anymore. Her words were between several tears. Oh... please remember... “And Cadance… do you remember… your mother?”

Celestia’s face was covered with tears, meanwhile Cadance’s was full of shock and confusion.

“My… mother?” Cadance stared into Celestia’s water-filled eyes.

Celestia nodded, and Cadance stared into space. It all clicked in that one moment. Discord, her mother, the second Twilight, it all fit together. She fell to the ground, crying.

“NO!” Cadance screamed on the floor.

Cadance continued to cry, and of course, Shinning Armor comforted her. Twilight Sparkle also came to help her sister-in-law. Cadance wouldn’t stop, though.

Only the 3 Princesses understood, now. Twilight turned to her teacher, still confused.

“Celestia, what’s wrong with Cadance?” Twilight tilted her head in confusion.

Celestia motioned to the figure she had been standing in front of the whole time. All the ponies (and dragon and bunny) moved forward to look. All expect Luna, Celestia, and Cadance. Shinning Armor also stayed by Cadence. He wanted to see too, but Cadance wouldn’t move.

“I DON’T WANT TO SEE! I DON’T WANT TO SEE HER!” She screamed in between cries.

Celestia stared at the ground, as the ponies stared at the staue of an alicorn mare.

“Read the ingraving, Twilight Sparkle.” Celestia said quietly.

Twilight read aloud what Luna did minutes ago:

“Dedicated to Princess Midnight, daughter of Queen Galaxia and King Chronos.

Her bravery and quick thinking saved us all from a terrible villan. We all owe her our thanks.”

For a while, everypony was silent. Most of them waiting for Celestia to speak. But Celestia couldn't build the courage to say anything.

"I don't get it." Fluttershy's quiet voice broke the silence.

Celestia sighed, realizing she would have to further explain. "Queen Galaxia and King Chronos... are my parents."

The whole group gasped. Twilight was shocked. She turned back to her teacher. “Celestia, are you implying that Luna isn't your only sister?!?!” she screamed. Twilight turned to Luna. "You have another sister?!?!"

"Princess Midnight was my mother." said a voice from across the room.

Twilight knew who it was. It was the alicorn that was hiding from the statue. The alicorn that was hiding from the truth. "Cadance... this is your mother?" Twilight nodded to the statue Cadance had been cowering from.

Cadance nodded slowly. "I barely remembered her... until now."

Cadance walked up to the statue. She read the ingraving for herself, to be sure. She looked into the carved eyes of it, and circled it twice. This is her. The statue was made so that it would look down on the ponies that would look at her. Cadence stood in front, so that her mother looked directly at her.

"Princess Midnight was her real name... but they called her Princess Twilght." Cadance said with a frown.

"Wait... she has two names?" Twilight said, confused.

Cadance turned to her sister. "Everyone is the royal family has two names. King Chronos' real name was King Nocturne, and Queen Galaxia's real name was Queen Faust. Only the royal family knows that, though. That's why their real names aren't on the ingraving. My real name, as you know, is Princess Mi Amore Cadenza."

"My real name is Princess Selena." Luna said with a smile.

Twilight turned to her teacher. "What's your real name?"

Celestia sighed, and muttered somthing to quiet to understand.

Oh no, is Fluttershy's shyness contagious or something? Well, that's highly unlikey. "I didn't hear you, Princess..." Twilight trotted closer to her.

"Well, I have 3 names, actually." Celestia admitted.

"Three?" Cadance looked shocked.

"Yes, I have my original name, my real name, and what I am called." Celestia said, quietly.

"But... I was told that your real name was Empyria, based on empyrean!" Cadance stared at Celestia.

"Yes, but my original name was Molestia."

"Why?"

"Your mother was too young to know the meaning of the base of that word. It was her idea, but not her fault. She was just a filly."

"Oh..." Cadance turned back to the statue, staring at it.

Cadance's memories haunted her. Or at least, what she could remember. She remembered her mother, cradling her in her arms. She remembered her mother singing a song to her, like all good mothers. She didn't realize it, but she began to sing the song out loud.

Sun gowns down, and we are here together.
Fireflies, glow like 1,000 charms.
Stay with me, and you can dream forever,
Right here in my arms.

Celestia walked up to her neice and sang the second verse.

It's magic, when you are here beside me,
Close your eyes, and let me hold you tight.
Everything, that I could ever need,
Is right here in my arms...
Tonight.

Luna joined in as well, singing the third verse.

Sounds of day,
Fade away,
Stars begin to climb.
Melodies,
Fill the breeze,
Sweeter all the time.

They all sang the last verse... Luna singing the harmony in parenthesis

Sun gowns down, and you are here beside me. (My love)
Fireflies, glow like 1,000 charms. (is always with you weather near or far)
Stay with me, and you can dream forever, (how sweet, to hold you)

Right here in my arms.

Tonight.

Cadance hugged the statue as if it were real. She couldn't help it. She never realized how much she missed her mother until now.

"Aww..." Fluttershy smiled after Cadance was finished.

Celestia smiled. She loved the song her sister would sing. Cadance remembered. Luna remembered. They all remembered.

Rainbow Dash stared at Celestia. "Wait a minute, I still don't get it! What happened to this 'Princess Twilight' "

Celestia sighed once more. “Sit down, all of you. Luna, Cadence, and I have a story to tell.”