• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 1,176 Views, 38 Comments

Fall of the Alicorns - Rara



Have you ever wondered what happened to the alicorns?

  • ...
5
 38
 1,176

Prologue

Disclaimer: CC Cover art and all written material within is intellectual property of user Persianjuliet, and may not be used without consent of the author.

My Little Pony and all related characters are property of Hasbro and Lauren Faust.





Song: Dying Isn't Easy by Damon Albarn


You, and everypony else who reads this, will know me as the Oracle. Nopony has called me by my real name for years, and sometimes I whisper it to myself so I don’t forget it either. My parents named me Wide Eyes, and that is the name I wish to be remembered by. Yet I was named Oracle by Constallis; named Oracle and Dragon-Killer and, eventually, Traitor. You all believe me a legend, you short-lived ponies. Maybe you’re right. But I wasn’t always old and jaded. Once I was only a filly, a naïve alicorn named Wide Eyes. Once, I was just like you. I write this so other ponies may know the story of my life, and so I won’t be remembered only as a myth and a monster. I write this so all the alicorns who perished because of my folly will finally have a legacy. Before I die- and thanks to my magic, I know it will be soon- I want to record my life as I lived it, and perhaps some ponies will read this and understand who I was.

I am old now, and I have seen countless generations of the so-called “mortal” ponies pass before my eyes. It strikes me, as it has so often done before, that they lead richer and more fulfilling lives than any alicorns I knew. Perhaps the shortness and unpredictable nature of their lives is a blessing. It allows them to live with abandon. They spend their love more easily, with the knowledge that there is a finite time in which to spend it. Sometimes, I regret not having this freedom. I spend my days alone in my rooms, drowning in mouldering luxury. I live in the past, reliving my younger days as my weakened body plays itself out. Muscles that used to revel in movement and flight now torment me. The wide brown eyes that I was named for, once so clear and sharp, betray me. I see things that cannot be. Ponies that are long dead crowd my vision. This is the sign that I myself foresaw, the sign that I will soon die. I shall not fight it- there is nothing left for me here. Everypony I have known and loved is gone, and my purpose in life is long past. Low Tide, Pirouette, Sweet and Sour, Periwinkle, French Braid, Gap Tooth, Sky Dive, Persimmon, Conch Horn, Twinkle Star, Bronco, little Snack Attack, and all the others. Even my North Star passed away after what seems like such a tragically short time. Now my own cutie mark seems to mock me- for what is there left to prophesy? I shall record this, for my own selfish pride and a misbegotten sense of legacy, and then I shall die, alone in my rotting palace.