• Published 15th May 2021
  • 255 Views, 0 Comments

Failure, Eternally Retold, Part Two: Nature's Blessings - Kiernan



As the group continues their quest, they come to know each other better.

  • ...
6
 0
 255

Chapter the Eighth: Three Brothers

The group managed to survive the night with only some minor jostling. Kai ended up sleeping on the floor next to Nik, and neither of them was really happy about that arrangement. What was nice for Kai was that Fluttershy had draped her hoof down off the bench, allowing him to hold it throughout the night. It wasn't the best scenario, but it was better than nothing.

They still had a fair amount of food from the night before, so they woke up to a bit of breakfast. While Kai was a little stiff, he secured himself to the yoke and began to pull. While Twilight wanted to hear more magic talk, Fluttershy rushed to walk alongside Kai today, and he was quick to decide that she would be the one to accompany him. The excuse he gave was to show her what the forest had to offer, but that was only part of his reason.

"So, what do you think of the forest in daylight?" he asked, an hour into their walk. "I bet it looks better than your view from the back door."

"It's beautiful," Fluttershy responded, though she didn't need to say anything. It was very clear by the expression on her face that she was enjoying herself. "Everything's so colourful and healthy, I can't believe nopony wants to live near here. This place is great!"

"Ponies have tried to move in around the forest before, but the forest as a whole has a mind of its own, and has removed the towns from existence. Usually, the ponies made it out okay, but the more belligerent ones that tried to push into the forest essentially destroyed themselves. Only if your house could exist in complete harmony with the forest can you live here. You may be one of the few ponies that could possibly do it."

Fluttershy blushed. "Do you really think I could?"

Kai shook his head. "Ponies are social creatures. You could live here, but you'd be pretty much alone. I don't think you're ready to leave all of your friends behind."

Fluttershy thought for a moment before nodding. "I suppose they can't really visit me out here. If there aren't any towns nearby, and no means of transport, I suppose it would be a real hassle for them to come and see me." She huffed and leaned over onto his shoulder. "But I wouldn't mind visiting again, given the chance."

Kai gently nuzzled her in response. "I hope you have the chance. You seem to really be in your element around here."

Around noon, they came to a clearing. It wasn't a large number of branches that blocked out the sun, rather that a very large tree in the center had a canopy so wide that the only plants that could thrive in the area were those that could rely entirely on nutrients brought in through the tree's root system. The trunk was wider than most ponies' houses, and there was a large hole in the middle that the bark had grown around, rather than sealing it up, more than large enough for a pony to come through. Nik and Twilight were glad that the jostling had stopped.

As Kai and Fluttershy untethered themselves from the cart, three beings exited through the hole in the tree and began walking their way down an elevated root. They weren't quite ponies, but they weren't not ponies, either. They had the bodies and heads of regular stallions, and the same went for their mane and tail. But their necks and legs were long, making their height rival that of Celestia herself. They wore flowers around their necks, draping long vines down their backs like cloaks. Their coats were thick and wiry, and shimmered in the light that filtered down through the leaves. Atop their heads were large, almost circular antlers, like velvet crowns. They walked in a line until they reached ground level, then side by side as they approached. When they stopped, they looked down at the group, as Nik was the only one taller than they were. There was something haunting about their eyes, all of them being bright blue orbs that seemed to glow. It was hard to tell where they were looking, as there was no sclera, and no pupil. The only indicator they had was the direction their noses pointed.

"Travellers," said the first.

"Welcome to our grove," said the second, the instant the first stopped talking.

"We hope the forest has been kind to you," said the third.

"What is it you hope to find here?" they all asked in unison.

Nik was impressed that they could speak in such perfect synchronicity. Either they rehearsed this over and over again, or they all shared one brain. He quickly convinced himself that the latter was true because he wanted to believe it, because he thought that would be a cool explanation.

"We're here because we need the blessing of Kroghmm," Kai answered. "We are prepared to do what must be done in order to earn it."

"Patience," said the third, raising his hoof.

"The earth moves slowly, gently, and deliberately," added the second.

"In order to earn its favour, you must do the same," finished the first.

"Calmly and softly," nodded Fluttershy. "I absolutely agree with that sentiment in most scenarios. After all, small animals are spooked by erratic movement, and plants take a long time to grow. If you do it right, it will take a lot of time, but the bonds will be strong."

"That is correct," nodded the first.

"I see we are in the presence of a well-learned mare," smiled the second.

"It is good to know that there are ponies still around who appreciate all of the beauty that nature brings," chuckled the third.

"However," added Fluttershy, "nature must sometimes be swift. While it takes time to expand a burrow, darting under brambles to escape a hawk is something that any bunny can do quickly. All predators must be fast enough to catch their prey, and all prey want to be fast enough to escape their predators. Patience is good, but it must be tempered, and we are currently being hunted. It is imperative that we complete your task quickly, or this whole forest will be one big target."