• Published 6th May 2021
  • 371 Views, 4 Comments

The Fluff of Legends - TheLegendaryBillCipher



A pair of fluff pieces to brighten your day.

  • ...
2
 4
 371

The Quest for Fluff

Pinkie hummed to herself as she bounced around Rarity’s workspace, looking in assorted drawers and cabinets. As much as she admired the shiny knickknacks and the feel of the various fabrics, she always kept her hooves to herself.

After all, this was Rarity’s workspace, and she knew the value of keeping it organized. Why, if the flour wasn’t near the sprinkles or the fondant next to the frosting in her own workspace, what would she do?

But there was little else to do when Rarity was working on her important orders. She could’ve been home planning parties or baking something, but then she’d miss precious seconds with her marefriend in the time she had away from her sewing machines. And that just wouldn’t do.

As Pinkie finally plopped down next to the window to plan her next cake, Rarity strolled in, looking quite razzled. It wasn’t a full on frazzled – Rarity’s mane was as flawless as ever, so she hadn’t fretted much in the last couple of seconds. It certainly wasn’t a kerfrazzled; there was no hoof-nibbling or manic look in her eyes to be had.

“Hey, Rarity,” Pinkie chimed in a singsong voice. “Need any help?”

“Actually, I could use some help, my darling,” Rarity said as she began looking through her assorted drawers and cabinets.

Pinkie smiled proudly, knowing she wouldn’t find a rhinestone or thread out of place. “Whatcha looking for?” she asked as she sprung to her feet and bounded over.

“Well, I was working on this last dress, and I seem to have run out of fluff. And it just simply won’t do without some more for the finishing touches,” Rarity explained, opening up the storage closet.

Pinkie nodded in understanding, which quickly soured into a wrinkled snout of confusion. “Fluff?” she repeated.

“Yes, fluff. It’s quite a delightful material, I assure you.” Rarity rustled through her rolls of fabrics and peered into the storage bins.

Pinkie rubbed her chin in thought. Now that Rarity was looking for something, all bets were off. This workspace was getting the Pinkie Pie seal of good searchedness – no drawer would remain closed, no closet unchecked, no curtain unfurled until she got what her marefriend was looking for.

She bounded over to the nearest cabinet and rifled through its drawers like a filly unwrapping a Hearth’s Warming present. The pink pony buried her muzzle into the drawers just to make extra sure there was no fluff hiding in some corner.

When her muzzle reappeared, a neat pile of cotton rested upon it. “Is this it?” she asked Rarity.

Rarity peeked out of the storage closet briefly to check. “Close, my darling, but not quite.”

Pinkie hummed before replacing the neat pile of cotton and moving onto a workbench resting in one corner of the room. She checked one of the bins resting on it and produced two hooffuls of tiny pom-poms.

“Ooh! Ooh! Are these it?” she asked with an ecstatic grin. They felt like fluff, and they sure seemed the right color to be fluff.

Rarity peeked out again, a small smile across her muzzle. She shook her head. “Close, my darling, but not quite.”

As her marefriend ducked back in the closet, Pinkie huffed a sigh and replaced the tiny pom-poms. She rubbed her chin in thought, before a lightbulb went off over her head. Only it wasn’t a lightbulb of an idea. It was one of those curly lightbulbs of realization.

“Hey, Rarity? What does fluff look like?” she asked, walking over to the closet where she was at.

“Well, my darling,” came the perfect, dignified voice from within. “It’s sort of two-tone pink, white, and indigo in color.”

“Two-tone pink, white, and indigo?” Pinkie asked in awe. “That does sound like something delightful. Also, sorta familiar…”

Her ears perked up when she heard a tiny giggle from inside the closet. It was one of those unlady-like ones Rarity often tried to silence when Pinkie did something silly and endearing – in Rarity’s words, anyway.

“Did you find it?” Pinkie asked, peeking into the closet.

Suddenly, the unicorn pounced upon her, enveloping her in a very unlady-like—and consequently very Pinkie Pie-like—embrace. Of course, there was that nice perfume Rarity always wore that certainly made it smell lady-like.

“I was only playing, my darling – I was talking about us,” Rarity said with a sly wink after her giggling had subsided.

“Oh,” Pinkie sounded out. “So, does this mean you’re done?” Her face lit up like a sunrise.

“In a word, yes,” Rarity said simply, planting a kiss on the end of her snout.

“Hooray!” Pinkie cheered.

And so, the quest for fluff ended, almost as quickly as it had begun.

Author's Note:

Date of Creation (D.o.C.): 5/23/20

I wrote this not long after "All's Fair in Love and War Games." I believe this was for a contest where one of the prompts was literally "fluff," so ask and you shall receive.

I believe the song I listened to while writing this was "Bounce Man Stage" from the game Mega Man 11.

-yours truly,
The Legendary Bill Cipher, Equestria Enthusiast