• Published 26th Apr 2021
  • 343 Views, 8 Comments

Zero Point - GJT_Productions



Shining Armor's time as Captain of the Guard has arrived, but new challenges begin to emerge following Discord's defeat...

  • ...
1
 8
 343

Quills and Sofas

"Twilight, be honest with me... did ya think there was somethin'... 'off' 'bout Crispin?"

"Whaddya mean, Applejack?"

"Well, OK, let me explain a little bit more 'bout him..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm listening." Twilight Sparkle says as she turns back to talk to Applejack behind her in line at the Quills and Sofas shop in Ponyville. With Twilight is her assistant Spike the Dragon, who is currently holding the small bundle of quillpens she is in the process of purchasing at this point.

"Well, even though Crispin isn't one of Granny Smith's foals," Applejack begins explaining, "he's still an Apple through and through. An earth pony foaled and raised in Ponyville, ya know."

"Yeah, sure, but if he's part of the Apple clan what is he doing in Royal Guard service? Why isn't he helping you on the farm?" Twilight naturally asks.

"Back when my parents were still alive as well as my grandpa to help with work, Granny Smith gave approval for Crispin to go join the castle guard instead of being forced to stay on the farm. I'm sure I told you Granny's family is the whole reason Ponyville's even here, right?"

"I... think so..."

"So since there's so many of us, even if you don't count those that have wedded in, Granny had OKed a few members to be in that service in Canterlot instead of having to stay here in Ponyville. Thought it was a proper way to show appreciation to Princess Celestia. 'Sides, there ain't 'nough earth ponies in that service..."

"Very true, the proportions of earth pony to pegasi to unicorn ratio in the E.U.P. Guard service have never followed the proportions in the general Equestrian population very closely. Princess Celestia is painfully aware of this, but has never had much success when it comes to recruiting earth ponies outside of Ponyville..."

"Yeah, what I was sayin', except in much fancier words." Applejack comments, which prompts Spike to start snickering as he stands at Twilight's hooves.

"Spike, will you focus please? I still need to find parchment for next week's friendship letter!" Twilight warns as she glares down at her young dragon assistant.

"Why not go to Rich's Barnyard Bargains? They have parchment there." Applejack comments.

"Not of the quality that I should be sending to the Princess!" Twilight indignantly replies. "Besides, I like to support the independent business. And while I mean no disrespect to Mr. Davenport or his business acumen, it still puzzles me why he doesn't sell parchment with his quills..."

"The higher-quality parchment is only legally available for purchase by stationary shops." Davenport explains as he gives the change for the quills being purchased. "And Rich's can sell the lower-quality stuff at a better price than I could. I've considering branching out into bedding and futons instead of just sticking with sofas, but even then that won't change the fact I'm hemmed in by the rules..."

"Hmmm, maybe I could do something about that with Princess Celestia... I don't think I'll be needing sofas anytime soon, though. Rarity always seems to leave a fainting couch behind wherever she goes during a dramatic spell, and I have no idea why..." Twilight comments in reply.

"It's like a lot of stuff Pinkie Pie does. Trust me, Twilight, it's the truth." Applejack adds on.

"Let's not bring her into this conversation, please." Twilight warns with an unamused look as both she and Spike turn to leave the shop. "Now, what was it you were saying about Crispin?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, ya see Twilight, Crispin's never really been interested in finding a partner, even though he's not much older than my brother." Applejack starts explaining again. "When not in Canterlot, he stays in a small apartment near Carousel Boutique. Don't even think it has a separate bedroom. Keeps to himself, it's only other Apple family members that generally pay a visit."

"So you're saying him coming here asking where he could buy a bed for two is something you wouldn't be expecting him to do?" Twilight asks.

"Yep, very strange. Especially since he just got off a duty shift in Canterlot - usually just heads straight to his apartment. What in tarnation would he be needin' a bed for two there? It's like Apple Bloom tellin' me she likes bananas!"

"Hmm, I see. Write that down, Spike!" Twilight exclaims, mostly out of habit.

"With what and on what? I don't have any ink on me right now..." Spike sarcastically replies.

"What? Sorry, never mind..." Twilight mutters, her face flushing a shade of red.

"And Twilight, you make sure you tell me if Apple Bloom ever does tell you she likes a fruit other than apples. Ya got it?" Applejack emphasizes.

"Yeah, sure... I'll do that..."