• Published 26th Apr 2021
  • 343 Views, 8 Comments

Zero Point - GJT_Productions



Shining Armor's time as Captain of the Guard has arrived, but new challenges begin to emerge following Discord's defeat...

  • ...
1
 8
 343

Communications Breakdown

"There he is - over there, talking with the stallion in the booth."

"So I'm replacing him?"

"Yes, you are. Now get down before he sees us!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two Changeling drones had been stalking Lieutenant Crispin for the second part of his hoofpath journey to Ponyville, disguising themselves as birds typical of those that populated the area of Canterlot Valley. After Crispin had stopped at the second waypoint, the stalking drones took advantage of the distraction to sneak behind the building in an attempt to get ahead of their target and eventually ambush him.

"Nice to see you again, Trafalgar." Crispin was saying to the unicorn stallion manning the second waypoint.

"Yeah, and I'm glad to hear Dad is doing better." Trafalgar, ranked Guard Upper Class, replies. "I had hoped I would be able to get to see him more in retirement with the transfer here, but I'm not sure how that's going to work out."

"At least you won't have to be helping him with his broken legs much longer." Crispin explains.

"Dad says Shining Armor will make a good replacement for him. Do you really think so? I'd rather not be wrong, considering what it cost me to get this transfer..."

"Trafalgar, I've spoken with Applejack - she's a cousin with one remove, I think - and I know that she believes that Twilight Sparkle will be a great leader of some kind some day. And even though I'm not familiar with her brother, I refuse to believe anypony that is a blood relation to Twilight Sparkle won't be a great Captain of the Guard and Prince Consort. This is an apple tree covered hill I will die on."

"... Alright, sir. But both of us had better hope you are right."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The off-duty Lieutenant decides its best to leave the conversation at this point and continue his journey - after all, he couldn't blame former Captain Gibraltar's eldest colt from having the attitude he did. Gibraltar had long wanted to bring at least one of his colts in the service to the Canterlot Castle division, but Princess Celestia had never been accommodating to requests in that regard, and even when she did approve the request (after the ejection of Aten and his fellow rebels from E.U.P. Guard service) it came with the stipulation that Trafalgar be permanently assigned to the waypoints. One of the rumors going around Crispin had heard was that as soon as Shining Armor fully took over as Captain of the Guard Trafalgar would be transferred to castle service, but he would have no idea about the truth of the rumors until after the transfer ceremony was complete.

As he proceeded to the third checkpoint, Crispin's mind was distracted by the many thoughts about the Apple clan and the new connection they had with Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor, and as such was not paying full attention to the road around him. Crispin barely even saw his attackers, who had waited until he was out of sight and sound of the previous waypoint to make their strike - two bugbears diving upon him, both to pin him to the ground and to muffle any cries for help! While one of the disguised drones held him down, the other slowly squeezed the life out of the earth pony, holding a grip until Crispin went limp.

Once the attack had succeeded, one of the drones immediately switched into Crispin's double while the other, still in bugbear form, looked to see if anything else was watching them. When satisfied that they were unobserved, the drone imitating Crispin immediately took the saddlebag off the real Crispin's form and turned it upside down to empty it of contents.

The two drones quickly go through the contents for whatever information they can find, the scroll sealed by Princess Celestia drawing their attention in particular:

"Oooh, this looks like its going toward a 'Granny Smith' - she must be important."

"Probably is, we'll learn soon enough when we get to Ponyville."

"What should we do with the message?"

"Burn it. The disruption of it not getting to its destination will work to our favor."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was thus Princess Celestia's message ended up never reaching its intended destination, and the efforts it was intended to counter went unchecked. Instead, the scroll burned alongside the body of the pony intended to deliver it, the Changelings being careful to ensure the body could not be easily identified later. As the smoldering continued, the Changeling disguised as Crispin took up Crispin's saddlebag and continued south along the Canterlot-Ponyville road. Another "replacement" had occurred, and this one would provide Queen Chrysalis an opportunity to weaken the greatest defense Equestria had against her ambitions...