• Published 24th Apr 2021
  • 349 Views, 0 Comments

Rise of the Element Gang, Book 3: Heroes United - Power of Six



With the Spirit of Chaos now free from stone, the Element Gang now face one of their greatest challenges yet!

  • ...
 0
 349

Chapter 5: Dusk to Nightfall, Part 1

Chapter 5: Dusk to Nightfall, Part 1

Discord’s view

Present day…

After biding my time for a while, I looked back to see how Dusk’s little stallion friends were doing with the little playmates I gave them. Using a hand mirror, I got to see some pretty entertaining stuff. Little spout Leon was blasting Doom Cobra to pieces constantly as my little bone boy did know how to pull himself together; the ice maker Dog tried to cool down both the flames and Blaze Mamba, but that flame really know how to heat things up; and muscle-head Shield did try to fight the whole time, but Grim Viper had him on the ropes. Of course, I didn’t expect them to win. This was just to give them a little taste of what’s about to come.

“Hmm… okay, that’s enough.” I said to myself, seeing how much time had passed since they began. “I think they’re pretty warmed up for the main event.” With one snap of my fingers, I then brought my little trio back to me, giving them all proud smiles. “Well done, boys. You did a great job keeping them busy.”

“Thank you, Master Discord.” The three of them said, bowing to me.

“Now head off to Ponyville.” I told them. “We got to get everything ready for the little heroes… and possibly our guest of honor.” With another snap, I then sent the three into Ponyville and put away the mirrors I had before going out to see the rest of Twilight’s friends. “Now that’s settled, I think it’s about time I finished this little game.”


No one’s view

After the three Paraserpents disappeared, the three stallions watched in confusion as the rooms they were in returned to normal. Walking over to their respect door, they all then opened them, the way they came in no longer locked. While all of them wondering on what was going on, they then remembered about their blue friend and had a feeling that he might be in trouble. Putting aside their questions of what they experienced, they all set off to find Dusk.


Dusk’s view

After readying the end of the stream and the white void disappeared, I snapped my eyes open as the whirling and tingling stopped and I felt my hooves and claws hit solid ground. I was no longer in the ruins of the castle, past or present, but looked to be at the edge of the Everfree Forest, on the very threshold of the trees. Quickly, I scurried away from the trees and breathed a sigh of relief.

“Well, that was wild.” I said to myself as I glanced down at my neck to see the stone fragment I had received from Darkrai hanging around my neck, the seventh along with others. “Hard to believe that, all this time, my destiny had been so intertwined with that of the girls. It’s… miraculous.”

“Dusk!” Looking up, I then watched as Shield and the others rushed over to me.

“Guys!” I said to them before noticing how injured they were (Shield with bruises, Dog with scorch marks, and Leon looking quite frazzled) as they came into view. “Whoa! What happened to you?”

“Just escaped Discord’s traps.” Leon told me. “A couple of Paraserpents lured us away and locked us in a room with them.”

“I see I’m not the only one who had a bad experience with something belonging to Discord.” I said, remembering how I became infected.

“Speakin’ of which, I’m guessin’ that black stuff all over ya has somethin’ to do with him?” Dog asked, now noticing the infected areas on my body.

“Yeah, and this is actually the worst of them all.” I said as I explained. “Discord infected me with Black Blood.”

“Black Blood?” Shield asked as he and the others looked at me with confusion.

“Black Blood is a very toxic substance.” I told them. “Those who are infected by it are inflicted with madness, similar to how Discord’s magic can induce insanity onto anypony. He decided to do this to me after he failed to use his own influence to turn me.”

“Wait, you resisted his magic?” Leon asked, surprised by this. “How?”

“I’m not exactly sure. Somehow, I was able to keep up my resilience.” I said before getting back to the task at hoof. “But that’s not important. What matters now is that we complete the task Luna set us to do.”

“Right.” Shield said, remembering why we were here. “Finding the thing that can help beat Discord!”

“So did ya find it?” Dog asked me.

“Sure did.” I said before using my claw to hold up my necklace, presenting the new stone. “Turns out it was this little guy.”

“A rock?” Leon was now giving me a nonchalant look. “That’s what she sent us here for? A rock?!”

“Hey, that one looks like the others around your neck.” Shield noticed how similar the newest addition to my necklace compared to the others. “And it’s got some of the same color as your fur! Where’d you get it?”

“It’s a long story, one I don’t really have time to tell.” I said before using my magic to take off my necklace. “Listen to me very carefully, I want you to take the stones and keep them out of Discord’s hands.”

“Why are you giving us your necklace?” Shield asked in confusion.

“Yeah, you found the rock.” Leon added.

“That is true, but there has been a change of plans.” I told them. “You three will have to guard the stones without me.”

“What? Why?” Dog asked as they were all shocked.

“Look, I know this is sudden, but what Discord has done to me could end up complicating things.” I explained. “If I’m ever gonna be able to help you and the girls, I need to get rid of this Black Blood.” After Shield then takes the necklace in his hoof, I then began walking away. “You guys head back to the library with the stones, I’m going back to my house. I have a book there that might hold the answer as to stop all of this.”

“You’re gonna look for a cure by yourself?” At Shield’s words of surprise, I stopped. “Dusk, if what Discord did to you is that bad, then we should try to work together to…”

“Shield, you don’t understand.” I told him before unveiling what I discovered. “What is happening to me… it happened to Princess Luna.”

“What are you talking about?” Shield asked.

“Guys… Nightmare Moon wasn’t something that came from having a cruel heart or jealousy. Luna became that way… because she had been infected with Black Blood.” This news caused the guys to gasp. “As such, if I don’t find a way to stop this, the Black Blood will turn me into something just as bad as Nightmare Moon. Possibly, something even worse.” I sighed before I continued. “In the event that I don’t find a cure and I do suffer this fate… I want you all to promise me that, whatever I become, you’ll do everything in your power to ensure nopony gets hurt. Even if you must take drastic measures.”

“Dusk…” Shield started.

“Just promise me that nothing will happen to anypony once I turn. The thought that my own claws will be used to bring harm to others is too much to bear.”

It took a moment before Shield sighed in defeat and said “Okay, Dusk. We’ll make sure everypony’s safe.”

“Thank you.” I said, turning my head to give them a smile. “Now make sure the girls get that necklace.”

“How’s your good luck charm gonna help us?” Leon asked with a raised brow.

“Just trust me. The girls will know what to do. Good luck!” I said as I then ran out of the castle, moving as quickly as possible towards Ponyville.

I felt pretty terrible having to leave my friends like that, but it was for their own safety. With the corruption spreading, I was just too dangerous to be around anypony. Upon entering Ponyville, I went past everypony and ignored every greeting and words they were trying to say to me. Reaching my house, I swiftly entered, closed the door, and locked it. Trying to catch my breath from all that running, I then slid against it while feeling relief.

“Was that really a smart idea?” said a voice, this one distorted and chilling. “You know as much as I do you aren’t going to find anything. Especially since…”

“Shut up.” I said, knowing exactly what this voice was. “I am going to find a cure. There haves to be one.”

“We’ll see.” It said, sounding pretty smug.

From there, I headed off and searched my books, looking for the one I needed.


Shield’s view

After leaving the castle and getting back to the library, me and the boys were all pretty much feeling grim since Dusk wasn’t around with us. Sure, we got what we were looking for, but it just didn’t feel the same without the cap around. It especially didn’t feel right when I was wearing his necklace. Speaking of which, I was wondering why he wanted us to get this to the girls. Didn’t Twilight made this for him a gift? Why give it back? Hopefully, she might give us an answer to all this. By the time we got to the library, we were met by Spike who was happy to see us.

“Welcome back, guys!” Spike said as we got into the library. “How’d it go? Did you find what Luna wanted?”

“Ee-yup.” Dog told him as I took the necklace off and tossed it over to the table where that statue was. None of us were really happy.

“Hey, where’s Dusk?” Spike asked, now noticing Dusk wasn’t around.

“He’s not here.” Leon told him. “He went off to do his own thing.”

“What do you mean?”

“We don’t want to talk about it.” I told the little dragon. “Let’s just say that… he might not be coming back.”

“What?” Spike said before Dog spoke up.

“Uh… fellas?” We all then looked over and saw him holding Dusk’s necklace with his magic. “Look!” We all came over and were shocked to see two of the stones slowly turned completely black, that little bit of color gone.

“What the…?” I asked as another one started turning black.

“Dusk’s stones…” Leon said, just as shocked as I was.

“What’s happening to them?” Spike said, looking just as worried as the rest of us.

“I don’t know, Spike.” I told him. “I don’t know.”


Dusk’s view

“Here you are!” I said, feeling great joy that I found the book I was looking for: the white book with the symbol of three eyes on the cover. The joy instantly disappeared when I felt something creeping along my body, looking over to see that corruption had progressed even more.

“Tick-tock, Dusk.” The voice said to me. “Time to test your luck.”

With that, I then got to my desk, using my magic to open the book and searched through the pages. After a brief moment, I managed to find the right section, the one about Black Blood.

“Finally!” I said, the joy I had returning to me. “Now let’s see if we can’t find a way to end all of this.” Scanning through the pages, I saw it talking much about Black Blood, like where it came from and how it affects those exposed to it. When I found a part about research towards a cure for Black Blood infections, I praised Heaven for giving me a chance to save both myself and all who I cared about. “Okay, here we go…” It was then that I read was written:

Due to creatures of all kinds becoming infected with Black Blood, either intentionally or by accident, many researchers and medical professionals began to work in finding a way to reverse the effects and undo the corruption that ensued the victims.

So far so good, I thought.

From undergoing procedures and experimentation, using all terms of modern medicine and developments of new medicine, those involved in the projects to cure Black Blood infections have come to a decisive conclusion.

While I was smiling in anticipation, from rereading that last part multiple times, my heart sunk like stone as I saw those very words: “As of far, there is no certain cure for the infection.”

“No…” I said as I closed the book with my claw in despair before tossing it aside in anger. “NO!” It was at that moment that I began to cry for I was now doomed, that there was no way to escape my fate.

“Oh, no cure. Too bad.” The voice said with sarcastic concern. “Guess you’re stuck with it then.” He then started sounding happy with himself. “Good. Means now I don’t have to wait until I get to play.”

Seeing now that I had no way to stop this, I knew what I had to do. From this point on, I now hoped that the guys can be able to stop me and they help the girls defeat Discord. I also hoped that they would keep their promise for, as I said, I couldn’t live with myself if I did anything that might hurt the ponies I loved. It was time to slip away from Ponyville again. This time, not back to Canterlot, but to where nopony will ever find me. I didn’t want anypony to see me once I go through the change. I remembered a series of rocky passages near Whitetail Wood. Perhaps there would be an empty cave there I could take refuge inside… and let the Black Blood do its work… a horrible thought, but a necessary one. It was for the best.

With a heavy heart, I set off towards the direction of the wood, passing the spot where Shield and I had once followed a certain cyan Pegasus pony… the memory flooded back to me, appearing as clearly as the day I had first been there…

“Here we are, boys.” Rainbow declared, descending to us again. “The edge of the Everfree Forest. Nopony ever comes near here. Unless you’re me, of course.”

“Of course.” I murmured, eyeing the forest warily.

“Yeah, what better place than a forest that nopony wants to go anywhere near?” Shield sarcastically said.

“Hey,” she said to us, raising an eyebrow, “you’re not scared, are you?”

“No way.” Shield said to her, making sure he kept his tough guy image.

“Um…well, er…” I hated looking so weak in front of her. “A little.”

“Don’t worry, there’s nothing to be scared of in…” She paused and, in a spooky voice, “the Everfree Forest!”

“Knock it off, Dash.” Shield said to her. “You’re freaking Dusk out.”

“Relax, Dusky, I’m only kidding.” She laughed at how ridiculous I no doubt looked. “I like you guys. You’re alright.”

Despite what had happened that day, I couldn’t help but smile fondly at it. Having just run away, thinking I’d made the stupidest mistake in my life, I’d met Rainbow Dash…and just ended up making another one. Even so, they had still forgiven me afterwards, though I went on to make another stupid mistake shortly afterwards.

That had been the first time I’d used my color puppetry for something useful, something that had helped somepony that needed. Even if it hadn’t quite gone as I had planned, I’d still done it rather than back down away from it. I’d always had headaches afterwards from the practice sessions that I did with her in future, especially after the Young Flyers Competition, but it had still been worth it…I was going to miss those days.

Stopping at the hill, I happened to look back at the town, with its thatched straw rooves and wooden houses… Ponyville, the place that had felt more like my true home than Canterlot ever had. Everypony was so much happier, so much more open… and I had lived out the best days of my life here. I wanted nothing more than to run back home, to just stay there forever. But it was better for me to never see it again than to see it in the flames of chaos, especially if I was causing them…

Walking on a little further, I came across a lake, again a place that held significance for me. I paused for a moment, then crossed over to one specific part of the water’s edge. Recalling how I had been, I lay down by it and stared down into the water, almost wishing that she would be here again. Jumping up out of the depths, wearing a snorkel and flippers, ready to try and cheer me up with some helpful advice…

“Dusk, I doubt that they would be angry with you.” She said to me. “Sure, you ruined the life of one friend, putting him in a wheelchair and making him hate you for the rest of his life.” She no doubt saw she made me feel worse as she took on an apologetic tone. “Oh, I’m not making this better, aren’t I?” after a while, she then spoke again. “Anyway, the girls aren’t gonna be as mad as they are worried for you. They’ll forgive you.”

“Why?” I asked as I looked up at her, my look of shame not even going away.

“Because they were just accidents.” she said with a bright smile. “Besides, they already have.”

“What?” I said, shocked by what she said. Had I misheard her? They'd…forgiven me? “What are you talking about?”

“Well, when I met your friends yesterday, the girls were helping them look for you. Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack. Ooh, you know so many of my friends. Anyway, they asked me if they’d seen you, they were really worried. I hadn’t though and I wanted to help, but I was really busy, so I couldn’t. Sorry.”

“The girls were with the guys…looking for me?” Was that why Dog and Applejack had come to my house, Dog showed Applejack where I lived and come looking for me there? Had the girls really been worried about me? “Why? I understand why the guys were doing it, but why were Twilight and the others looking for me?”

“ʹCause they’re your friends, silly! Friends look out for each other.”

“Yeah, that’s what the guys tell me just about every day. Though I doubt the girls consider me as a friend.” I insisted. “They’re just being nice to me because I’m new. They’re probably gonna scold me for what I did.”

“Dusk, what did I tell you?” I looked back up at her. “They’re not gonna hate you.”

“But what if they will?”

“Won’t.”

“I’m just saying…”

“Shush.” Okay, now I didn’t know what she was doing.

“But what if…”

“No! Got anything else to say?”

“Uh…” I tried to say something, but I couldn’t think of anything to say. I had nothing to say.

“Mmhmm!” she hummed in satisfaction. “Right, I gotta go. Lots to do and little time. See ya later, Dusk, remember what I told you!”

“I did remember what you told me.” I murmured, reaching out and touching the water with my claw, making the clear surface ripple. “That was the start of it…”

I left it for a few moments, then drew it back, viewing my reflection in the water, feeling like I was looking at a mostly cracked mirror with how far the corruption has gotten. It was ironic that the place where the pony with the most hope and joy I know helped me is where I was now stuck looking at one filled with nothing but despair.

Just for a moment, I witnessed a brief flash on the water's edge of that dark rage-filled face and burning eyes that may or may not become my own, I gazed out to the opposite end of the lake. There, at that spot, was where I’d first tried my hoof at being useful…and it had worked without any hitches…

“We did it.” Fluttershy said proudly. “Thank you for your help, boys. You all did a wonderful job.”

“Was ain’t no problem, sugar cube.” Dog said to her.

“Yeah, what do you expect from the Element Squad?” Shield said, proudly.

“We were glad we could help.” I said to her.

“Thank you so much for taking the time to.” She said to us. “You’re all really nice ponies.”

“Well, thanks, Fluttershy. That means a lot to me.” I said, sincerely.

“You’re welcome.” she said. Just seeing that grateful smile on her face made me glow inside.

Fluttershy… that had been the first time I’d seen her gentle kindness with animals. I wondered where that little family of ducks was now, if they would remember me at all. I shut my eyes, the surface of the water now being broken by the tears that rolled down my cheeks. The surface rippled again and I saw that horrible face, the dark fur, that painful grimace.

“Dusk…” In that chilling voice, it sent a shiver up my spine. “You cannot run from me. I am you and nothing can change that.”

“I know.” I replied. “But my friends will stop you. Even if I’m lost to madness, I know in my heart that they will never let somepony like you prevail.”

“Why try to innate the inevitable? Nopony cannot stop me nor are your friends safe by you running. I’ll get out, Dusk. Just you wait.”

“You’re not real. You’re just the Black Blood making a voice in my head.”

"You mean our head? I’m a part of you and always will be.”

“No… never.”

“Let me out, Dusk… give in to hate.”

“No!”

Let me out NOW!”

“NO!” I slapped the water with my claw, my breathing heavy. Looking back, my reflection had returned to normal.

I stared at the spot where my darker self had appeared to me. This was now an even stronger reminder of why I had to leave. I couldn’t let that part of me take over, not now and not ever. For the ponies I loved… I had to do this. The pain now seeming even worse now, I stood up and walked away, back towards the wood.

I lifted my head up at the sound of flapping wings and felt a sudden jolt of joy when I saw my pet as she landed on my outstretched arm. “Hello, Ophelia.” She gave me a gentle hoot and an inquisitive tilt of her head. She wanted to know where I was going. “I’m leaving, Ophelia. I know it’s sad, but… it’s for the best.” I stroked her feathers with tender care. “You don’t have to come with me. You can just go, but… it’s what I need to do.” She stared at me for a few moments, then shook her head and nipped my cheek with her beak. “You… you’re coming with me?” She nodded, her amber eyes boring into me. Well, at least someone wanted me around. “Thank you… come on, let’s go.”

I let her take off and fly above me, watching after her. Though I was leaving to keep the girls safe and so they wouldn't have to put up with me, but there was no sense in leaving my pet behind. I just couldn’t stand the thought of it… I might as well keep a few memories of my once happy times.


Shield’s view

“This isn’t looking good.” Leon said, just as worried as I was.

Ever since we got back to the library we had been watching as the stones on Dusk’s necklace had been losing color. It had gotten to the point to where the only one left was the new he got today.

“I hope Dusk is okay.” Dog said, looking out the window.

“You and me both, Dog.” I said before looking back at the only stone that had color, wondering what was going on with the cap.


Dusk’s view

The two of us reached the trees of Whitetail Wood, its flowers still in bloom for summer, gracing me with a colorful beauty I didn't feel I deserved. I couldn’t help but remember the names of the ones I saw. Foxglove, snowdrop, lilies… and lilacs. Another memory flooded back to me, when I first contemplated romance…

“I thought so.” she said knowingly.

“W-w-what?”

“What you just said.” she clarified. “You and Twilight do have a lot in common, spend a lot of time together. I thought that, if anypony would have your affection, it would be her.” She smiled even more warmly.

"B-b-but…I’m not sure if I do…feel that way… about her.” I went on pathetically. “I mean… I don't know…”

“Well, let’s see then.” Rarity said. “Do you often find your thoughts drift to her?”

“Um…quite a bit, I guess…”

“Do you often pass glances at her, one might say, even stare?”

“Um…perhaps…”

“Do you enjoy her company, to the point that it's almost difficult to think of leaving her side?”

“…Yes…” I then stopped her and got to some important facts about my family. “But that doesn’t exactly prove as much of me having those kind of feelings for Twilight.”

“Really?” She asked, still smiling. “How so?”

“Well… Fire Dragons like me are kind of… complex.” I said before I got to explaining what I meant. “Looking to their experiences at finding love, I found out that there were some discrete signs that show a Fire Dragon is in love. Unless I was able to look at myself as it happens, there is no way to tell if I show those signs.”

“Well…” Rarity put her cup down as she looked at me with a knowing smile. “You might not, but it doesn’t mean somepony else sees it.”

“What do you mean?” I was confused by this. What did she mean by that?

“Actually, darling… I knew all about this situation you were having.”

“What?!” I was shocked. She actually knew that I was acting like this? How did she know? “How?”

“To tell you the truth, it was actually Spike who told me all that what was happening.” She then started to explain. “You see, you didn’t know it, but Spike had seen the way you’ve been acting with Twilight. Though he did not see what he saw, I knew what all this had meant.”

“Wait, are you saying that…” I was just shocked by this. I actually had all the signs? Then… I really did have feelings for Twilight.

“There is no doubt about it. You truly have feelings for her, Dusk.” she said confidently, still smiling. “Personally, I think that the two of you would make a very cute couple.”

“That’s, um…nice of you to say so. But…” I added sadly. “She thinks romance is a waste of time, that chasing after somepony who may not even return your feelings is nothing to get your hopes up. I don’t think I have much of a chance.”

“I don’t think so, dear. From what Twilight told us, she thought much the same of friendship once upon a time. Now look at her. I’m sure that, in time, she would start to look at romance in much the same light. It may take some time, but she will.”

“But…how will I know if she even feels the same way?”

“Most times, you can’t. But that’s the thrill of love, not quite knowing but that elation you feel when you realize they do feel the same…” She sighed again. “There's nothing else like it.”

I nodded at this. “So…you think I might…have a chance with her?”

“I don’t thinkyou will, I know you will.” she said confidently. “We’ll keep this between us, as I promised, but if there is any way I can help at all, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Okay. Thank you, Rarity.” There was one thing I felt he should ask. “Is there anything do you think I should do, you know…to show Twilight how I feel?”

“Dusk, quite frankly, you’ve been doing all of the right things so far.” she informed me. “You two are already close friends, you share much of the same interests. You seem to go out of your way for her, can make conversation easily—oh, and the flowers! That was a wonderful gesture. I’m sure she was grateful for those.”

“She was, yes…so, should I just…keep doing what I’m doing?”

“Yes, do. One thing that scares a girl off is moving too quickly. Take it nice and slowly, pay her the occasional compliment on her appearance or her work. You do that, I’m sure you’ll succeed. After all, you have me helping you.”

Feeling compelled to, I picked one of the lilacs and revolved it in the air before me. To think, I had been yearning all my endeavors would work, that I could ever hope to win the heart of Twilight Sparkle. To think that, at the end of it all, the two of us would possibly never see each other again.

“I didn’t even get to tell her how I truly feel.” I sighed, letting the flower fall onto the earth and trudging on. Was it some kind of torture, that I was being forced to be stripped of all that brought me happiness? Times I could wish to live again, now more than ever?

“What need have you of love? What purpose does it serve, but for pain? Pain that you can embrace to become stronger than you ever believed. Give in…” Ignoring my darker self, I shook my head and carried on my path.

It happened again when I reached a clearing, in a meadow filled with flowers with a shaded tree growing nearby. Wondering over, I soon found it. A little shoot, spouting from the ground. Certainly bigger than when I’d first planted it…

“Wait a sec…” Applejack picked up one of the cores, extracted the seeds with care and delicately planted them in a spacious patch of the meadow. I helped her dig a hole, covering it up a few seconds later. “There. Now there’ll soon be a nice new apple tree in this here spot.”

“New life in spring, a wonderful thing." I mused to myself, making Applejack smile. “Thanks for today, AJ. It was…memorable.”

“I sure hope so.” she chuckled. “No problem, Dusk. I had fun with y’all.”

“I suppose…it was rather fun." Allowing myself a smile, I gently nudged the shoot. “Keep growing, little one. You’ll certainly accomplish more than I ever could…”

“But you can, if you only let me out, my friend.” my darker self put in. I could picture him grinning. "Come on, try it…”

“Be quiet.” I ordered harshly.

“Am I getting to you? Good!” He laughed again and fell silent, but he was still there…I could feel him.

Setting back on the path, I reached the sign-posted spot that led up into the rocky caverns. Ophelia had landed on top of it and was patiently waiting for me, as I stopped at the fork. This was it. The last threshold to my life in exile.

Just before I ventured up, I stopped and turned my head around. I could still trace my hooves and claws over the path I had taken, when I had been conserving my energy to run part of a race, with the most wonderful pony I’d ever met…

“Oh, my! Dusk,” she sighed, bringing me out of my thoughts, “isn’t Whitetail Wood lovely?”

“Yes, it is.” I agreed, gazing around at the bare trees and feeling the leaves crunching beneath my claws and hooves. “The beauty of nature is truly one of the greatest things about the world, there can be no doubt.”

“Yeah.” she sighed again. “See, I told you this would be a great experience.”

“That you did.” I smiled my best smile. “Thanks for convincing me to come along, I’m really having a good time.”

“Me too.” she agreed.

“I truly wish I had more time with you… but I can’t share any more with you, Twilight.” I whispered, the tears starting afresh. Feeling a twinge of pain, I could feel it as the corruption reach the final step before it consumed me whole, my whole body now covered in darkened cracks, spare my cutie mark and my tail. When the pain subsided, I heard a cackle in that deep voice and was reminded again of why I was doing this.

“End of the line, Dusk.” that chilling voice spoke. “You know what happens next.”

“Yes…” I bowed my head. “Time to face my fate.”

“Good boy. Then let’s go.” Another sinister chuckle and there was silence once more. It was time to go.

“Goodbye, Twilight Sparkle… Goodbye, everypony… I’ll miss you.” My tears splashing on the dirt below, I hung my head and walked this path, alone.

I didn't know what was worse: the fact that I would never again feel as happy as I had in all of those memories I’d experienced. I had still enjoyed myself at every moment I had spent with the girls. They had shown me so much. They showed me that I could do good things if I tried by just being myself, that I could be more than I had ever thought I would be. Looking back, I know they enjoyed it and I still had the memories of what they had done, along with whatever pride and accomplishments came with them. Those feelings certainly weren’t false and they were not something nopony could take away.

Feeling a little less badly, I came across a small section in the rocky paths, large enough for me to fit in. Well, it was as good a spot as any. Far enough where nopony would get hurt and see what will happen.

“Hm… yes. An excellent piece of cave real estate.” I jumped when I heard Discord’s manipulative voice and whipped around to see him grinning. “Look, it’s even up for sale!” He snapped his fingers and a “for sale” sign appeared in front of it, though the sign was upside down.

“What are you here for?” I asked bitterly.

“I’m just here looking for you. You just seemed to vanish and I was so worried about you.” he said in a mock concerned tone. “Tell me, where did you go off to?”

Knowing deep down that I shouldn’t tell him, I looked away. “What does it matter to you?”

“It does matter, especially with how I see you now.” He whipped his face in front of me, his eyes making contact with mine. “Tell me, where did you go?” I stared into those blood-red depths, glaring with nothing but pure hate.

“That's none of your business, my lord.” I gave a mock bow and turned away from Discord, determined not to let him have further satisfaction.

“Oh, really? You think you can just walk away?” I felt a pain in my skull as Discord grabbed my head, all composure and charisma gone. “Tell me, now!”

I could feel him, working his way into my mind. Yet he had still had trouble doing so. He was supposed to be powerful enough to where I could do nothing to stop him. That once Discord did this, there was no chance at resistance. Yet, every time Discord tried to access my memories, I could fend off his jabbing probe. I was strong, but something else was giving me strength, something that was keeping him out… but what exactly, I had no idea.

That trick won’t work on me, Discord. I mentally told him. I’m not gonna tell you anything! So… get… out of… my… HEAD! I pressed on a kind of weak offensive, nothing substantial, but it was enough to keep him out.

Eventually, I felt Discord's presence withdraw and I opened my eyes, feeling drained. The draconequus was staring at me with a curious expression and perhaps a hint of…fear?

“How are you doing that?” he asked in a low, dangerous voice.

“I… don’t know and… I don’t care.” I pulled myself up to my hooves and claws and turned away from him again. “Haven’t you tormented me enough?”

A moment of silence, then his mocking tone was back. “Tormented? A while ago, I had simply only tried to show you the truth and gave you something to show you things the way I do. Now I’m here to make sure you’re settling in nicely enough. Do you need anything? Pillows? A book perhaps? How about a hug?” Finally having enough of the spirit of chaos toying with me, I then decided to make him leave. It was a good thing Ophelia was here to help.

“Ophelia, use Peck.” Right there and then, my little Hoothoot then went over and started pecking Discord, surprising the draconequus as I turned away from him and returned to the cave. “Okay, Ophelia, that’s enough.” With that, Ophelia stopped her attack and went over to me. “Take a hint. What I need is for you to leave, Discord. Leave me alone. I don’t want the last face I see before I turn to be your ugly mug.”

There was a moment of silence, like Discord was contemplating what I said. I thought I heard him mumble something, but he then spoke louder.

“Oh, well that’s gratitude for you.” He said to me. “Don’t worry, if all goes well, I’ll never have to come looking for you again. Au revoir, little Dusk!” With that, he vanished again.

Yet, even while he was gone, I was starting to feel a bit suspicious. Why was he so determined to know where I had been? Did he know something that I didn’t? What further tricks did the spirit of chaos have in store for me? I didn’t have time to dwell on those questions for long as a surge of pain rushed through my body, causing me to collapse on the cold, hard earth as I wringed in complete agony. This was it, I was reaching the final stage. Now the Black Blood was going to consume me whole. As of now… the life of Dusk Noir had come to a close. I tried my best to make myself comfortable, calming my mind with the feelings of happiness I’d felt with the girls. Feeling my strength being zapped away, I remembered something I’d read that was rather appropriate for this: Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.

No one’s view

Nestling on a rock nearby, Ophelia watched in concern as her master groveled in pain, his tail revealing its true form before—from the base to the tip—slowly turning from bright red to the darkest black. She had no idea what was happening and was horrified by what she was witnessing.

“Ophelia…” Dusk said to her, weakly raising a claw to her while trying is best to look at her. “R… ru… run!” After he said that one word, Dusk’s golden tail spike began to become sickly pale as they swelled like liquid sacks as something black filled them. From reaching the size of beach balls, the spikes then suddenly popped, turning into a black liquid that continued to spew from where the spikes were. Ophelia gave out a great hoot of concern as she flew into the air above the unicorn and the substance began to cover Dusk, its actions resembling something similar to a snake consuming its prey. “Don’t worry about me. Just get out of here! Fly away, save yourself!” With him losing his hat, Dusk’s whole body had been swallowed into a large, black blob, only his face remaining as his gaze was focused on the little Hoothoot. “Goodbye, Ophelia.” With one last smile give to her, Ophelia watched as Dusk’s face disappeared, the black substance now consumed her master completely.

Though her heavy heart was forcing her to stay, Ophelia did as her master told her and began flying away, tears flowing from her eyes as she left the cave and headed her way back towards the library.


Shield’s view

With all the stones now turned completely black, me and the guys all looked at each other while feeling the same thing: the worry, not what happened to Dusk’s necklace, but what exactly was now happening to our pal Dusk.

Dusk, wherever you are, I really hope you’re okay.


Discord’s view

Watching from outside and letting the little Pokémon fly past me, I allowed myself a victorious smile as I saw the black blob that the little stallion was trapped in lying on the cave floor. How could he have been what Fore Sight had once foretold? Sure, he was a Fire Dragon. But, other than that, he was nothing. Take away what makes him so special, he’s just as tiny and powerless as the rest of his little friends.

He may have resisted my power, but there is no way he can be able to break from the madness of Black Blood. Soon, Dusk’s mind will become dormant and the little black seed I planted in him will finally bear its fruit. Who knows? Maybe once he’s corrupted fully, the little fire-breather might make a good servant. The chaos he could wreak when he unlocks his full potential.

“Soon, Dusk, you’ll see things my way… once you give in to your dark side.” I gave a little spin in the air and with a flash, returned to the maze. Just one last thing to do…


Twilight’s view

Despite how heavy this stone was on my back, Rarity having long since abandoned me to carry it by myself and the strange behavior of her friends caused by Discord, I was still determined. The thought that we could find the Elements, stop Discord… save Dusk, all that was what kept me going, kept me fighting. We could still find Rainbow, brave and loyal Rainbow Dash.

“Must… find… Rainbow Dash.” I stopped to rest a moment. “As a team… we’re unstoppable. Rainbow Dash won’t let us down.”

Applejack’s voice, which hadn’t been as honest as before, made my head snap up. “Well, lookie there. Rainbow Dash is flyin’ away. She’s abandonin’ us.”

“Now I know that’s a lie.” I cast the stone aside and looked up…to see a Pegasus streak away up into the sky, feeling her heart sink. “How can it be?”

At that moment, the sky was darkened by grim clouds and thunder boomed in my ears. The walls of the maze fell away around us, sinking into the ground, leaving nothing but a dirt crater. Through the smoke, I could see one serpentine figure, his opposite wings flapping to clear away the smoke. When he spoke, his voice was dripping with gloating triumph.

“Well, well, well. Somepony broke the ‘no wings, no magic’ rule.” He snapped his fingers and with a flash, Fluttershy’s wings and mine and Rarity’s horns returned. That could mean only one thing… “Game’s over, my little ponies. You didn’t find your precious Elements.” He conjured up a pink umbrella, which he unfolded backwards and I felt a sense of loss and despair. “Looks like we might be due for a big old storm of chaos!”

As he laughed in triumph, I could only watch in horror. How could we ever hope to win this time? Now he was in power, what hope did we have to stop Discord from reigning chaos…forever?

Author's Note:

Unable to find a way to undo the corruption, Dusk has now been consumed by Black Blood. To make matters worse, Twilight was too late to save her friends as they have now been corrupted by Discord. With our heroes reaching their darkest hour, is there still a chance they can defeat Discord? What will become of Dusk and can he be saved? See how our heroes come to face the dark day of Equestria next time!

Hey, guys! What did you think of the chapter? To be honest, I actually let loose some tears while writing in this chapter, mostly with the Dusk scenes. Looks like Dusk is in real trouble now that he fell into the pit of despair made by the Black Blood. Hopefully, Dusk can be able to find his way out. You know what a wise man once said about falling, right? In the next chapter, Dusk comes face to face with his dark self as a battle between them begins within Dusk’s mind. Who will win? Wait to find out. Well, that’s all I got for this chapter! Don’t forget to comment and rate the story to tell me what you think!