• Published 24th Apr 2021
  • 349 Views, 0 Comments

Rise of the Element Gang, Book 3: Heroes United - Power of Six



With the Spirit of Chaos now free from stone, the Element Gang now face one of their greatest challenges yet!

  • ...
 0
 349

Chapter 20: Return of Harmony

Chapter 20: Return of Harmony

Darkness had consumed me, an ironic end when I thought about the great shining light I had seen before my fatigue got the better of me and I strayed out of conscious thought and into the gentle embrace of unconsciousness. It was just like going to sleep after a long tiring day, a rest I felt that I truly deserved after working so hard.

Those last few minutes had been the strangest and most wonderful sensations I had ever felt. As soon as I had begun my spell as soon as I reached out through the chaos and disharmony to find the lights of friendship that shone within the girls, it had been like he had stopped being part of the earth I walked upon and became something else entirely. Something more than a Fire Dragon, something more than a unicorn, something more than even a pony, something more than little Dusk Noir. The emotions that flowed through my body like a river had become my very being, my very thought and essence and drive beyond my control and completely subject to their will.

So much had happened, only flashes, barely comprehensible…cries and yells, hisses and screeches, the sweet voice of Twilight Sparkle… I had heard her above everything else, even my emotions that were dulling everything. Something else had happened too, something that had made my heart spike and my emotions rage like a river… a spark…

That was ultimately the end result of my efforts. Gradually, with the others drawing close and my emotions growing stronger, so had my magic become stronger too, rising and growing to a point where I felt as if I could reshape the world. When it had reached its peak and I had to do something to let it out or else I might explode, only one thought had echoed through my mind, one desire above all others:

Protect my friends.

And that was what I had done. With a force like I had never experienced, as beautiful as a shooting star and as powerful as a bolt of lightning, I had struck out against the Paraserpents that had surrounded us. It didn’t matter how many of them there were, how powerful they might be or how weak I might have been. Suddenly, that didn’t matter. What did matter was the protection and safety of my friends, something that I wanted more than anything else. They’d all worked so hard to protect me, it was only right I should do something in return.

I already knew that, against all odds and doubts I had in myself, it had worked and they were safe for now. We would still need to get to the library and retrieve the Elements, but I had done what I could and helped as best as I could manage. That was why I was like this now: just lying here, at peace with myself in a way… or as much as one possessed by the influence of chaos could hope to be. I could choose to leave this place anytime I wanted, or that was what I felt I could do. The illusion of free choice, I mused silently for nopony else could hear.

I wasn’t actually sure where I was. At first, it looked like some empty white void with only me in it. It felt as warm as the sun in summer and as tranquil as a sparkling lake. It was silent yes, but not the kind of oppressive, heavy silence but something more peaceful and whole. Gradually, I started to recognize the surroundings and realized I was in my living room in my home, though I knew from the memories I had gained that Diablo had destroyed it. I saw my fireplace, my couch, blue carpet, wooden floor, shelf of books, even the picture of my family. It was my modest little home with just enough decoration to know it was my own. I didn’t need all the trappings and personal touches to know it was my home, to identify my place. I didn’t need it.

It was a good place, something that my friend Shield said about it. Modest yet still personal, that was how Rarity had described it once. That was one way of looking at it. Twilight had just said it was a lovely home, that time when she came for Hearth’s Warming. Somehow, I preferred that as I sat down on my couch and curled up. This was my place so it could be whatever I wanted to be. Right now, it was my safety and my refuge and I just wanted to rest here. Didn't I deserve that much?

“Just a few moments.” I murmured to myself. “I don’t need to go back yet. I need to rest…”

In truth, however, the more I thought about it, the more I realized one thing that was the reason for my state: I was scared. Why wouldn’t I be? Despite the power of my spell, I hadn’t actually killed the Paraserpents, rather knocked them out and put them out of the way for the time being. They would be back up on their feet, metaphorically speaking, soon enough and they’d be a danger once more. Add to that Discord still being in power, ready and waiting to create more, and I had every reason to simply remain like this until it was all over.

Still, I knew that I couldn’t stay here for long. I wasn’t an Element of Harmony, but it didn’t mean I wouldn’t play any other part in bringing down Discord. Sure, I certainly wouldn’t be able to muster up the strength to perform the spell again, I wasn't even really sure how I had done it the first time. I didn’t even know I was capable of performing such a feat. But my team needed me. My friends needed me. Even with all the fear I was feeling, I still had hope in Luna’s plan, that I held the very key to harmony’s victory over chaos. I knew that the stones I had around my neck served a purpose. Even if I didn’t know exactly what it was, I knew I would find out in the end. I was still El Dragon, the world’s symbol of peace and justice, and the leader of the Element Gang. As such, I would do my duty and restore balance to Equestria, even if it meant I might lose my own life in the process. There was also another reason for this…

I remembered something else, a promise I’d made to somepony I would do anything to help.

“I’m with you, Miss Sparkle, to the end. For them. For us. For Equestria!”

To run away now would leave me nothing but guilt along with my fear, and I would just wallow in it entirely like a pig would wallow in filth. How could I truly call myself her second assistant and her friend if I would be so cowardly as to back out now when she might still need me? How could I call myself a hero by doing such a selfish thing? As scared as I might be, I still had my duty as well made a promise and my work wasn’t done yet as long as the spirit of chaos was still on his throne and his minions were still snaking their way around the streets of the town I now called home. They needed me. Twilight needed me. There was no way I was ever gonna think of leaving them now.

I looked up at my fireplace and things were there that weren’t there before. Photos I didn’t recall having taken yet they were there, moments from my life: those from before meeting the girls, like my time with the family I was born in, my time with the guys in Canterlot, my time with the Black Bulls, growing up with Gold Star and Silver Blade; and those since meeting them, like sitting at a table and taking tea, at a trip to the spa, the night at the Gala. All such happy, wonderful times with those I was proud to call my family. Some were more recent and less happy, like the learning of the terrible news, succumbing to Black Blood instilled by Discord, fighting back against him, standing against him by my friends. The more recent one was of myself, lying unconscious on a hill, worried faces and tense looks from those around me.

“The here and now.” I whispered, brushing against it gently.

Seeing all these, they reminded me even more of the reason I had to go back. I was still a warrior, a fighter for justice, and I certainly wasn’t going to break a promise to my friends. Not when they still needed me. Before I left though…

“I see you found them.” Turning to the voice, I saw my ancestor Fore Sight standing behind me with a smile on his face.

“Fore Sight.” I said with surprise. “You said I found them. You mean these pictures?”

“Yes.” He told me as he walked over, the two of us looking at the pictures as he stood beside me. “Tell me, Dusk. Do any of these images mean anything to you?”

“Well… yeah.” I told him. “For the majority of them, they’re all memories from my past, the moments I’ve shared with my friends. The one with me lying on the ground while surrounded by worried ponies is one I can already guess is what had just happened since I used that spell. But why are they here, especially one of which I’m clearly blacked out.”

“They are here because this is part of your power.”

“My power?”

“Yes. You see, Dusk, as a prophet, my destiny was always to see the future. But there were times when I wished I could look to the past. While I lacked in it, it seems the inheritance of my power has allowed you to gain what I longed for.”

“You mean I have the ability to look into the past?”

“Exactly. Though right now, you only have the power to look into your own past, moments of which had already happened. But, give it time, I believe you’ll be able to look past your own past into that of others. That, one day, you can use your light from the present to illuminate the shadows of the past of any kind, even the past of Equestria itself.”

“Really? Whoa.” Though I was in awe, I looked to see, other unclear images and photos appeared on the wall and mantelpiece. These photos were more blurry and a little harder to make out the others and kept shifting and changing like watercolors on a canvas. “Fore Sight… these pictures that aren’t easy to make out… are they… the future?”

“I would say so.” He answered me. “As I said, you have much to discover with the power you were born with. The reason these images are not so easy to make out is because you have not yet opened the door to them. You can go ahead and try to take a peek. You will discover how to look into them eventually.”

With that, due to my curiosity, I went on to take a closer look at the images of the future. Surely a little look wouldn’t hurt, they weren’t even that clear…

I scanned over them, making them out as best I could. I saw a duke blue outline standing with over a dozen others, facing down a serpentine shape. Discord perhaps? The one after was of the same outline, this time leaning close to a purple one… no, lilac, like a certain avid studier I knew. Another showed again the same blue pony and he was being shown something by a taller figure with almost the same fur color… could that perhaps be Luna? I received rather warm feelings from looking at these, ones of happiness and fulfillment. Clearly, these were events that I would enjoy and look forward to.

The same couldn’t really be said for any of the others. The next one along was a red figure being held by a larger white shape with tints of black. I already had a guess what that image was and the event I knew would come. The one after it was of some kind of longer for, though the same size as a pony, colored black and blue with small dashes of red, with some kind of symbol like the letter A on his body… I could make out a long tail and a beak… What was that? A griffin? Why was he standing over the blue outline? And who exactly was that then? Was it myself or another like me? Then there was a black shape, magic whirling from his horn and four-legged forms around me. Even though I saw half of it was blue, I still felt dread from seeing it… if that was who I thought it was… more black shapes, whole swarms of them that looked to be attacking what seemed to be Canterlot, palaces of crystal surrounded by shadow and darkness, a pair of purple and blue shapes clashing with black and ice blue ones… what kind of futures were these?

There were two that particularly disturbed me towards the very end until I was scared to look any further beyond that one. The image of the first was of a tall pony, another unicorn, his fur a dark grey and his hair a blood red that seemed to be trapped in some kind of cavern, the outlines of three eyes watching him from the darkness and chains around his legs and neck. These chains however were worn and old and looked like they were about to break. Again was the same figure, with six violently colored lights surrounding him and shining into him as his horn glowed. The orange flickering of flames silhouetted them, I could almost feel the heat…

“I’ve seen enough.” I wrenched my eyes away from these snapshots of the future if that's what they truly were, rising up to leave.

“Are you sure?” my ancestor asked.

“Yes.” I answered, turning towards the door. “Whatever the future has in store for me, I will do what others have done and find out for myself, not just give myself any possible previews. I mean, why ruin it for a few bad moments when there might be so many good ones? Not really good to have such spoilers to a story that has still yet to be finished.”

“Okay then.” He said to me with a proud smile. “Then go and return to your friends. And remember to have faith. The future does not make the pony…”

“A pony makes his future.” I said, finishing his quote. “The past is the past and the future is the future.”

Ready to leave the peace and tranquility of my home, I went straight to the door to leave this place and return to the pain and fear of the world. I knew it wouldn’t be easy, but I also knew that it was better than just staying here and doing nothing while my friends were all out there fighting for me and our home.

Before I left, I looked to my ancestor with a gentle smile. “Goodbye, Fore Sight. I hope we get to meet again.”

“I hope so too, young Dusk.” He said to me before I then opened the door.

I didn’t have any doubts and knew this was the right thing to do. Though this might be further proof that I was perhaps more like my uncanny ancestor than I first thought, I had no wish to see the future. Let the future reveal itself. And what I just saw, I’m only taking as possibilities. Besides, keeping those as memories aren’t a bad thing for a Fire Dragon. One of my elemental powers let me see the future anyway.


The whiteness of the light was all I could see when I reawakened, somehow feeling as well-rested as if I had been asleep for days and yet also as exhausted as if I had run a marathon. My ears were like they had been stuffed with cotton for I could hear little beyond incomprehensible muffles. My extremities were numb and tingling and my head felt like it was in a vice.

Gradually, things became a little clearer and I could at least hear better, though my vision was little more than a blur and my head was still aching. I had never felt anything like this before. That spell must have taken more out of me than I first thought. I could just make out a few blobs near me, bending over me: two white, one orange, one blue, and one yellow. Other blurs also hurried by, shouting and yelling to each other.

I noticed too that there was a strong smell of some kind of incense in my nostrils, enough to make them burn a little bit from the stench and a deep voice chanting something in a different language. Zecora. I thought to myself, performing some kind of process to wake me up. It seemed that it was a good thing she came along in the end.

Soon, I was able to make out the voices more clearly, like I was fine-tuning a radio.

“…you see that?” came the excited voice of Pinkie Pie. “I mean, it was just growing bigger and bigger until it went BOOM!” The part she yelled was accompanied by the sound of a kazoo. “Then they all just went—wheeeee!—way up into the sky! It was just like fireworks! Except not like fireworks cause they weren't rockets, but sort of like fireworks because…”

“We get it!” Shield spoke out in annoyance, stopping her.

“Yes, Pinkie. We all saw it.” Twilight said exasperatedly. “We can talk about it later, now get back to watching the Paraserpents with Hearth Forest and Gold Star. We don’t know when they might start moving again.”

“Yeah, they might come back.” Leon added.

“Okey-dokey-lokie!”

“W-w-w-what do you mean c-c-c-come back?” asked a nervous Fluttershy. “I thought he’d beaten them all.”

“They might be down, but they aren’t out.” Shield put in.

“Shield is right. Look, they’re still breathing.” Twilight pointed out. “This is only a temporary victory, so I want us all on alert in case they wake up.”

“Oh… right…” The Pegasus certainly didn’t seem happy at the prospect of that.

“Don’t worry, Flutters.” Leon said to her in reassurance. “I’ll make sure none of them lay a single tendril or tail on you.”

“What in the hay was that anyway?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Yeah, I’ve seen Dusk’s magic do pretty cool stuff, but never anything so… well, awesome before.” Shield added.

“While I wouldn’t exactly call that ‘awesome’,” Rarity remarked, “I do agree with them there. It seems that his magic can be used for more than just light shows.”

“And how!” Applejack added.

“So, question is what exactly caused him to do that an' how come it ain't never happened before all this?” Dog put in. “Reckon he knew?”

“I don’t think so, at least he never mentioned anything to me.” Twilight said, more to herself than anypony else. “But we don’t exactly know the full extent of his powers and I don’t think he does either. He could only just be discovering them now.”

“Like a born calf still learning how to walk.” Strongheart mused. “Acts of magic truly are a strange business and I am sometimes thankful my people have no such abilities.”

“Well, you might have a point there.” Twilight agreed. “Even we unicorns don’t fully understand our magical abilities sometimes. But there's no doubt of the good it can do or the acts it can accomplish.”

“Indeed. Or the bad it can do.” she said quietly.

“Only in some cases…”

“Hey, I think he’s movin’!” came the excited voice of Apple Bloom.

“No, he’s not! You’re just seeing things.” Scootaloo dismissed.

“No, he is! Look!” Sweetie Belle pointed. “His eyes are opening!”

“What?” Scootaloo was silent for a moment. “Hey, yeah! You’re right! Heh, my bad.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Apple Bloom assured. “Hey, Zecora, ya can stop now! I think your potion worked!”

“Let me see.” I could hear the sound of approaching hooves and saw a grey blur pass into my field of vision. “Back from the land of dreams, Dusk Noir awakes, it seems.”

To speak felt like a great effort, but I tried regardless. “That’s… debatable really…”

“Then it would be great to end that debate.” Zecora countered calmly. “Can you stand?”

“I’m… I’m not sure…” I responded weakly.

I tried to push myself up, but I was suddenly aware of how heavy my body felt and how weak my legs had suddenly become. Every bit of me ached and burned like it was on fire, which was only made worse when I tried to put pressure on my legs. I would have fallen back to the floor, had Zecora not been there to offer support.

“I feel… awful.” I said simply.

“Is he gonna be okay?” Dog asked.

“How long this will last, I do not know. For now, Dusk, just take it slow.” she advised wisely.

“Duly noted.” I did my best to focus on her. “Thank you.”

“It is no trouble at all to help you up from your fall.”

If only she knew how much significance those words actually held. I thought to myself.

“Hey, everypony! Dusk’s awake!” Apple Bloom called.

“Well, look who decided to wake up.” Gold Star mused.

“And I thought I was lazy.” remarked a deep voice that sounded rather like Spike from his tones. Before I could ask however, I was interrupted.

“Dusk! Oh, thank goodness, you’re okay!” My vision was suddenly filled with purple and her sweet smell filling my nostrils, throwing her legs around me.

I did my best to weakly return it, but the force of her colliding with me caused me to wobble slightly. “Um… Twilight?”

“Huh? Oh, right. Sorry.” Though my vision was blurred, I could still make out the blush in her cheeks. “I’m just… relieved that you’re not hurt.”

“Yeah, Twilight was more than a lil’ concerned about ya, to say the least.” Applejack put in slyly. “You feelin’ okay?”

“Not really.” I admitted. “My legs ache… my head…hurts… and I can barely see a thing.”

“Oh, you poor dear." I soon felt the gentle hoof of Fluttershy stroking my mane. “Don’t worry, you’re gonna be just fine.”

Just that made me feel a little better, though I swore I could hear a low growl from Twilight along with Leon whispering for Twilight to take it easy and that Fluttershy was looking out for her big brother.

“Thank you, Little Sister, but I don’t know…”

“Eh, you’re tougher than you give yourself credit for, Dusk.” Shield bolstered, punching my arm lightly and making me stagger. “Oops! Sorry. But I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I certainly don’t feel fine.” I said, bleakly.

“If I might, Shield is quite right.” Zecora said. “From examination, I have learned that these effects are not long term. With my potion and a little time, you should soon return to your prime.”

“Until then, let us hope the ground truly does stay strong beneath your hooves.” Strongheart chuckled.

“Indeed.” I did my best to face her. “Good to see you again, Strongheart… in a sense at least.”

“Likewise, my friend.” she returned. We raised our necks to each other and butted heads in traditional greeting. “I’ve missed you.”

“And I you. A little bit out of your way from Appleloosa though.”

“That’s an understatement. I heard your friends might be able to stop the chaos and came to try and find you. Seeing you again was a nice bonus.”

“Never heard that said about me, thank you.” I did my best to smile in her direction before I spoke to Rarity. “So, Rare, I’m guessing you tried having a talk with Hearth?”

“Tried is certainly one word for it.” my cousin said to me. “Though I wouldn’t say we had not much of a talk. I had paid her my highest respects, yet she doesn’t seem to acknowledge me as much as family. Though I still say that she is much more tolerable than Prince Blueblood.”

“And don’t worry about that. Hearth’s always like that.” I explained to her. “Much like her elder siblings, Hearth has a sense of royal pride and doesn’t like to be seen less than her title. In other words, she actually is happy to meet you, but doesn’t really show that because of her pride. Infuriating, I know.”

“I heard that!” spoke out Hearth, no doubt from downstairs.

After getting an amused smile, I then returned to the matter at hoof. “Right… what’s the plan?”

“Well, those serpentine ruffians were blocking the way to the library,” Rarity nodded, “but I believe that problem has been rectified, thanks to your erstwhile good self.”

I felt my face burn, but they weren’t quite finished yet.

“Yes, that magic was incredible!” Twilight added. “I’ve never seen you pull off anything like that before.”

“Your psychic powers were at full peak and you must have done some kinda mind blast!” Nopony responded to Pinkie’s comment.

“I think it’s safe to say that was your Sonic Rainboom: powerful, spectacular, and awesome.” Rainbow gave me an approving nod. “How’d you manage to do it?”

“I’m… I’m not really sure myself.” I said, embarrassed from the praise. “I just… did it, I guess.”

Twilight had her thoughtful expression, looked down to my neck and her eyes widened. “I think that might be something to do with it.”

I looked and I mirrored Twilight's expression when I saw that one of the stones around my neck, the one that matched my fur color, shone the brightest out of all of them and I almost had to look away for fear that it would make my reduced eyesight even worse.

“That solves it then.” Twilight decided. “Those stones are definitely conduits of some strong magical energy and have obviously allowed you to tap into the power so that you can perform superior magical feats.”

I couldn’t help but smile. “You know… I always kind of liked it when you talk technical.”

Now it was Twilight's turn to blush. “Oh, um… thank you.” She cleared her throat and returned to the subject matter. “Anyway, that might be the case but I still don't know what exactly they are.”

“Neither do I.” I looked down at them again. “All I’ve found out was that my ancestor Fore Sight had been looking for them, I’ve only managed to find them, and they play some sort of role in beating Discord. Though I still have no idea what that role is. Furthermore, we have no idea why they piece together or why they are in pieces in the first place.”

“That’s another good point.” She rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “It could be that this is their natural state, but then why be scattered?”

“Well, I don’t think they were scattered. It seems more like each one appeared to me at a certain moment in my life in which I earned them. Luna obviously sent me to find the last one as they are obviously part of something when brought together.”

“That does seemed to be the idea, but they don’t seem to be reacting in anyway apart from glowing obviously.”

“Maybe something else needs to happen before they do come together, if they are pieces of something.”

“You mean like some kind of catalyst?”

“Exactly. And I have reason to believe that the Elements’ magic might be that catalyst. But then what would they be pieces of? What kind of object could it be?”

“I don’t know for sure, but perhaps…”

“Uh, not meanin’ to seem rude here,” Dog spoke up, “but can we save the discussin’ ‘till after Equestria’s not doomed to eternal chaos?”

The both of us blushed now, I especially so from the knowing look that I received from Rarity. Twilight and I had just become caught up in one of our hypothetical discussions, like the kind we used to have before all of this. The kind we could still have once Discord was frozen in stone again.

“Um, yes. Good idea.” Twilight mumbled. “Anyway, like Dog said, we should get back to the library while the going is good.”

“Then we can get the Elements of Harmony back.” Rarity added. “This time, we’ll be able to use them properly and…”

“…turn Discord into stone so hard that his grandfilles will be statues!” Rainbow finished.

“And we’ll do this together!” Leon put in. “Element Gang and Element Wielders!”

“Then what are we waiting for?” Shield said. “Come on, let’s go!”

“Right.” I tried to walk, but my legs still felt painfully numb and I stopped with a yell.

“Oh, dear!” Fluttershy hovered next to my legs. “You can’t walk, you poor thing. Don’t you worry, we’ll get some help for you, Big Brother.”

“I can carry him! I’m strong enough.” A large purple blur appeared next to me. “Hey, bro, check this out! Pretty good, huh?”

“I thought that was you, Spike.” I nodded approvingly. “Very impressive.”

“I know right? I feel so strong now, it’s unbelievable! Those Paraserpent jerks didn’t stand a chance against me!”

“Um, Spike?”

“I mean, they’d come at me and be all—sssssssss!—and I’d be all ‘oh, no, you didn’t!’ Then I’d show ‘em whose boss and POW!”

“Little brother?”

“I know this is only temporary, but I hope this lasts for a little longer. Maybe I should try this on Discord himself, that draconequus won't know what hit him until I say that it was…”

“Spike!” I didn’t have a loud shouting voice, but I still got the baby dragon’s attention this time. “Not meaning to rain on your parade, but you might want to reconsider your current position.”

“What? What do you… Oh, man!”

Spike looked down and let out a loud groan when he saw that he had returned to his normal, chubby state. The effects of whatever had turned him into a muscular warrior had begun to wear off while he was talking, gradually returning him to regular size while he basked in his own glory without him noticing.

While I was glad to have the baby dragon I called my brother back, I felt disappointed for him too. He had been more capable of great feats in that state previously than he had ever been as a normal baby dragon, had his chance at last to be the hero. Being a hero myself, I could understand his mood now that he was back, especially since we hadn’t even beaten Discord.

“No, no! Not now!” Spike glanced around in a panic. "I can’t be like this now!” He looked to Zecora. “I don’t suppose you got any more of that stuff?”

The zebra shook her head. “I am sorry, but no. And you can’t have another go. For you’re quite close to having an overdose.”

“What?! But you can’t… I mean why can’t… I just want to…” He trailed off, sighed, and sunk dejectedly. “But now how am I going to be a hero?”

I felt an overwhelming pity for my fellow assistant and was about to offer some comfort, but Rarity beat me to it. She stepped close to Spike and wrapped a leg around him.

“Spike, you don’t need some silly potion to be a hero. You’re quite gallant just as you are.”

“But, before, I was strong and big and it was so cool!” He moaned again. “I need to have strength like that if I’m gonna help beat these things.”

“Spike,” she began gently, “when you and I were collecting gems and those foul Diamond Dogs attacked us, who was it that did his best to bravely fight them off? Who was it that put his all into an attempted rescue? Who was it that was the first to gallantly ride in?”

Spike stared up at her and when he spoke, his voice was breaking and disbelieving. “Me…”

“Exactly, and you certainly didn’t need some potion in order to do it. Like I said, you are quite brave and strong just the way you are.”

Spike was silent for a few moments considering this, then he nodded. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Thanks, Rarity.”

“My pleasure, little Spikey-Wikey.” I heard the sound of her bestowing a kiss on the dragon’s cheek. “Besides, I quite prefer the way you are.”

“Yeah!” He puffed out his chest. “Yeah, those Paraserpents better think before they try and deal with Spike the Fierce!”

“Spike, get a grip!” Twilight said bluntly.

“Right, sorry.” he replied sheepishly. “So, um… what about Dusk? He still needs help getting to the library.”

Before anypony could suggest anything else, I felt myself being lifted up off the ground into the air, hovering just a few feet above and looked to see my body being supported by the arms by Rainbow and Fluttershy.

“You’re fine carrying me?” I asked.

“We were last time, weren't we?” Rainbow responded. “Right! Let’s go, everypony!”

“Don’t worry, we won’t lift you too high.” Fluttershy added, taking into account my fear of heights when not being able to fly, especially in the state I’m in.

Smiling gratefully at her in response, I allowed myself to be carried to the library with everypony else galloping below, hoping that the Paraserpents wouldn’t be waking up anytime soon. I had no desire to be fighting them again.

Fighting… because I didn’t like to participate in violence and would rather resolve things peacefully. Seemed so long ago that I also had preferred to stay safely on the sidelines, not put myself into any kind of risks that might make me look foolish or stupid if I failed. I’d just stay out of the way and unnoticed. Now though…

I had done all of these things and more since I had discovered friendship. Like they had been listed off to me many times before, they were things I would never have imagined doing normally but now had just become one of the things I’d do. Sometimes, I wondered if stepping outside of my comfort zone and embracing things I’d steered clear of was one of the bad things that came with having friends, that it might be better if I’d just stayed as I was and not taken these risks. Sometimes I thought that, but in the end, I always came to the same conclusion.

I wouldn’t have changed it for the world and I certainly didn't have any regrets.

Though my vision was blurred and unclear, even I could make out the shape of the library when I saw it and let the relief and security I always had in that place flood through me. We went through one of the holes that had been made as a result of Twilight using Rarity’s “diamond”. Once we were inside and I was back on solid ground, it was suggested that we take a little time to rest and get our strength back. Nopony argued with this idea.

A few minutes later, I felt a little better than before. I had at least regained enough energy to walk again and had taken to resting near to a desk by the window. My eyesight however was still unfocused and everything looked to be a blur. I supposed that, for now at least, I would have to put up with it, for there were more pressing issues. Everypony seemed to get the impression that I wanted to be alone with his thoughts, which was certainly true.

Right now, I was thinking about the princess and the guardian who had saved me from my darker self and again from the Paraserpents and flew off in an act of self-sacrifice, not just for me, but for all they held dear and cared for.

“Dragonis, Luna,” I murmured, picturing their warm smiles and compassionate eyes. “I hope you’re okay.”

Though I perfectly knew what they were capable of as Princess of the Night and Guardian of Equestria, I also knew enough about Discord to know that—even with their forces combined with Celestia’s—the three of them didn’t stand a chance against the spirit of chaos. While I did believe in the impossible, there were limits to this and this was certainly pushing it. The Elements of Harmony were the only things powerful enough to defeat Discord. How could they even hope to stand a chance against him without them?

I wished they were here. I still had so many questions and they were just as much my friends as the guys and any of the girls, especially Luna. What would Discord do to them if and when he beat them? Was there anything that we could have done?

“Rough time, huh?” I looked to see that Spike had joined me at the desk. “How are you feeling?”

“Better, but I still can’t see very well.” I reported. “It’s all just a blur really.”

“Oh, yeah? How many claws am I holding up?” he asked.

“Spike, please. I really can’t see a thing…”

“Come on. Don’t quit out on me, bro.”

“Spike, I…”

“Come on! I know you can see okay, just try!”

I sighed at his insistence, but still felt a smile tugging at my lips. “Alright… Four?”

“Got it!” I saw him distinctly put down one claw as he waved them in my face. “See? It’s not so bad.”

“I suppose so.” I chuckled appreciatively with my fellow assistant. “Thanks for that, Spike.”

“Hey, what are friends for? Somepony’s gotta keep your spirits up when Pinkie’s not around. Even if that somepony is a somedragon.” I rectified.

“True enough.” I agreed. “How are you about the loss of strength?”

“Eh, I’m okay about it. I guess I’ll just do my best to be gallant without it, which I apparently do just fine.” He sighed and looked off at most likely Rarity for a few moments. “So, what did you and the guys end up finding in the Everfree Forest anyway?”

“You wouldn't believe me if I told you.” I replied.

“I didn't believe I could eat a whole tub of ice cream without getting brain freeze, still tried it though.” I felt Spike nudge my leg. “Come on, try me.”

I was going to deflect the question again, for I certainly knew that Spike would never believe me if I actually told him the truth, but I remembered that he had worried for me by going into the Forest by myself. I deserved at least some kind of truth in that respect, perhaps not the whole recounting of events, but something at least.

“Let’s just say that I found the solution for the end at the beginning, by means of this.” I said cryptically, pointing to the stones around my neck.

“O…kay. Geez, going all mystic on me then.” he muttered. “So you really think those little rocks are gonna help beat Discord?”

“Size is not a guarantee of power, you ought to know that better than most.” I pointed out. “Even the most insignificant of aspects can be important when all brought together, for that’s what’s gives them their power.”

“That makes sense I suppose.” His head seemed to glance around me and when he spoke again, there was a knowing tone in his voice. “You know, she hasn’t stopped looking at you since we got back.”

I glanced and saw a lilac blob turn her head away when I looked around and I felt the blush return to my cheeks. “She… hasn’t?”

“Nope.” From that tone in his voice, it was like he knew something I didn’t. I felt the dragon nudge me again. Go on, go talk to her.”

“You… really think I should?”

“Yeah, go on. What have you got to lose?” He pushed me all the harder. “Go on, go! Mush, Dusk!”

“Okay, okay… I’ll go.” I took in a deep breath to calm my nerves and did my best to navigate my way towards Twilight, who stood on her own by one of the bookshelves.

I heard Spike whisper me luck before I was out of earshot and reached her much quicker than I had intended. Though I could no longer make out the details of her beautiful features, I could still hear her sweet voice and be close to her. It wasn’t all I wanted, but it was enough.

She was looking at me and me at her (to the best of my current ability), but the two of us just didn’t know what to say first. I felt like saying something clever, something witty or inspiring, but my mind was a complete blank. When I thought of something to say, I opened my mouth but closed it again when I thought that it sounded too common or mediocre. Twilight seemed the same, unsure what exactly to say to me first.

Finally, I said something. “Hey, Twi.” I slapped myself mentally for such a stupid thing to do.

“Hey, Dusk.” If she had any thoughts on what I said, she kept it to herself. “How are you feeling?”

“Not brilliant, but I’m recovering.”

“That’s good.” she said, sounding genuinely relieved.

“I still can’t see very well though.” I admitted. “It’s a shame because now I can’t see your beautiful…” I stopped speaking by cover my mouth with my claw when I suddenly realized what I almost said.

“My beautiful… what?”

“Your, um… your beautiful, um… victory!” I supplied quickly. “Yes, your victory over Discord! You know when you, uh… beat him.”

“Oh… right.” She made no attempt to cover up her disappointment and I once again chastised myself for letting my heart almost run away with my mouth. “You really think we can beat him then?”

“Of course you will.” I said brightly. “You’re all back together now, you have the Elements back and we fought back the Paraserpents. He doesn’t stand a chance."

“Still a firm believer in the impossible.” she remarked. “This time though, I think you’re right. We can stop now that he’s no longer blinded us to friendship’s power.”

“You took the words right out of my mouth. I'll be glad I'll be around to watch this time, even though I sort of was last time too.”

I was sure she frowned. “I still can’t believe it.”

“Believe what?"

“What you actually did, how you were there from the start or you saw it at the beginning.” When she said that, I knew she was talking about how I traveled to the past and help her and the girls defeat Nightmare Moon. “Traveling through time? How is that even possible?”

“Twilight, I told you before. It was because of Dialga.” I explained to her. “It’s powers are over time itself. It can send anyone to any point in time, whether it is to or from the past or the future.”

“Yes and I get that it sent you to that very day to help us and find that stone. What I don’t understand is why you agreed to it.”

“Twilight, I know it doesn’t make sense, but I had reason to believe Dialga had good intentions from sending through time like that. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have done it.”

“But still…”

“Twi, please. I know that something like this had great risks, ones of which nopony should take, and make Dialga questionable to trust, but it wasn’t just about trust. It was about faith. Throughout my life, I had put my faith in others time and time again with hopes that there will always be a better tomorrow. It’s what got me through my time while leading the Element Squad, what helped me survive. And it’s the same faith of which I gave Dialga and the same I have now, in my team, our friends, and you. Never once had I ever lost faith in you and never will.”

As I expected, she couldn't find a response to that, other than “You’re right. I’m sorry about doubting you.”

“It’s okay.” I said to her. “I understand.”

An uncomfortable silence fell between us again before she said “Dusk?”

“Yes, Miss Sparkle?”

“When you were doing your spell to fight the Paraserpents…” She paused for a few seconds. “You were sort of in a… catatonic trance.”

“I suppose I was. I needed all my concentration to perform my magic.” I was starting to suspect where this was going.

“It’s just that… well… when I tried talking to you… you responded.” she finished quietly.

“Well… that was because I could hear you.” I tried to make it sound as heartfelt as I could manage. “Above all the noise, the chaos and destruction, I could still hear the inspiring oath of the darkling thrush.”

“Darkling thrush?”

“An oath of encouragement my ancestors would give during their darkest hour, all I had read from the tales of their adventures.” I said in a quiet voice. “About how even at the end, at the darkest and most desolate of times, as long as heroes big and small work together and help those in need, there will always be a chance to live another day and protect those we love.”

Twilight was silent again, though I could swear I could see her eyes shining. “Dusk… that’s the most wonderful thing I’ve ever heard.”

“Well… I try…” My voice was barely above a mutter now, my cheeks burning red. “It comes from a saying we have in the Element Gang: no sacrifice, no victory. Because, without sacrifice, there can be no victory.” I then recomposed myself as I told her about some certain details of what I said back there. “Though that first and last bits I said weren’t actually from the oath.”

“What do you mean?” She asked, confused.

“Well, those parts were actually something from me.” I explained. “The first part was actually inspired from something somepony wise had told me: ‘through fearful day and raging night, keep your strong heart full for hope burns bright.' The last part… I guess that came from me, my own oath to Equestria.”

“Well, I say that you already follow that oath.” There was a good few moments of silence before Twilight spoke again, this time sounding a little disappointed. "And?"

Now it was my turn to be confused. “And what?”

“Is that it? You don’t remember anything else?”

“Not a whole lot, no. Apart from the odd scream or screech, but that’s hardly pleasant.” I cocked my head at her. “Why?”

“You really don’t remember anything else? Nothing at all?” It sounded like she was on the verge of tears. “Not even when I… I…”

“When you what?” I felt awful now for not obviously knowing something so important. “Twilight, what is it? What did you do?”

“It’s just… when I… I… I ki…”

“All right!” We both jumped as Rainbow Dash cut us off. “I am psyched, rested, and ready to kick some chaos flank!”

“Whoo-whee! Same here!” Applejack added. “I’d say that Discord has sat on his rump long enough.”

“Indeed. It’s time to dethrone that vile deceiver once and for all!” Rarity declared. “Where are the Elements?”

I looked to Twilight and I managed to make out her nod, which I returned disappointedly, but with understanding. We would have time to talk about this later, but right now we needed to focus on something far more important and that lay in the book on the shelf just above our heads.

“I’ll get them, hold on.” I stood back as she levitated it down and opened it to reveal the precious contents.

“Wow!” came the simultaneous reaction from all three Crusaders with an added “Cool” from Scootaloo.

Gold Star whistled as he came over. “So those are them, huh?”

“The Elements…” I could hear Strongheart’s awed whisper. “I’ve never seen them before. They’re so… beautiful.”

“In this whole wide world we know, nothing can truly compare to friendship’s glow.” Nopony made any attempt to dismiss Zecora's statement.

Twilight was about to levitate them out, but stopped and turned her head to me. “Why don’t you do the honors, Dusk?”

Even though I considered myself their friend, I was still shocked by her offer. “M… me?”

“I can’t think of anypony else better.”

I still had a hard time believing it. Me. Out of all the ponies in the entire world, even among her friends, she was choosing me. I looked around and they were all looking right back at me, even the guys, saying and doing nothing to countermand this suggestion. Just a silent, loving acceptance from all of them. I allowed myself a rare moment of pride to flow through me before bowing my head in compliance and lifting them out.

“It’s my honor… thank you.” The first I took out was an orange zircon in the shape of an apple. “Applejack, with your great faith and always being true to yourself and others, you wield the Element of Honesty.”

“Thank ya kindly.” Applejack said when I placed it around her neck.

The next was a balloon-shaped sapphire. “Pinkie Pie, with your ability to banish fear by laughing in the face of danger and never losing hope, you wield the Element of Laughter.”

“Oh, boy, oh, boy!” Pinkie tingled when I slipped it on. “You read my mind.”

I smiled at her, levitating a butterfly spinel. “Fluttershy, with your compassion that can tame and calm the most savage of beasts, you wield the Element of Kindness.”

“Oh, my! Thank you so much, Big Brother.” Fluttershy whispered, like she didn't deserve the privilege.

“My pleasure, Little Sister.” Amethyst in diamond form was next. “Rarity, with your passion to help others and rid away great sorrow with your beautiful heart, you, milady, wield the Element of Generosity.”

“Much appreciated, good sir.” Rarity said in approval of my manners.

“Rainbow Dash, with your trust in others and never abandoning others for your own heart’s desires, you wield the Element of Loyalty.” I said to the lightning-shaped ruby.

“Best Element for the best flyer!” Rainbow boasted.

The final one, I did myself with much care and delicacy. "And Twilight Sparkle—last, but by no means least—with your bonds of friendship with these five ponies and give strength to the other Elements and their wielders, you wield the Element of Magic.”

“Dusk…” She placed her hoof on my claw as it lingered on her diadem. “Thank you.”

“My pleasure.” I gently squeezed hers in return, trying to convey all I felt in that single action. “Right then. Everypony, I know this seems tough. This might possibly the toughest challenge we’ll ever face. But I know, in my heart, we’ll be able to overcome it as long as we stick together. With all that said, I am proud to stand by all the ponies I have come to call my friends.” I raised my head, looked around at them all, and let a hard look set into my features, my voice becoming profound. “Let’s go and take down Discord!”

With a cheer from everypony, we were all ready for the battle ahead. Get ready, Discord, we’re coming for you!

Author's Note:

Now with the Elements of Harmony in their possession and all of them at full strength, our heroes and their friends are now ready to face Discord and save all of Equestria from his evil reign! The final confrontation with the Lord of Chaos begins next time!

Hey, guys! What did you think of the chapter? It’s finally happening, Dusk and the gang are finally gonna put the last nail in Discord’s coffin! Hopefully Dusk is right and the Elements will finally show us what the stones of his little good luck charm can really do. In the next chapter, the heroes had their final clash with Discord, one battle you don’t want to miss. Well, that’s all I got for this chapter! Don’t forget to comment and rate the story to tell me what you think!