• Published 6th Mar 2021
  • 786 Views, 20 Comments

Dragon Road Season 1 - FoolMeThrice



A story about a half-saiyan on a quest to discover his destiny, and help his new friends along the way.

  • ...
1
 20
 786

A Super Saiyan's Anguish


Kai was always a rather depressing character. His mother would show him just enough love to keep him around, but not quite enough to make him feel wanted. With her passing and message of hatred, he was truly alone. Years of hard life struggles awaited Kai, and he would brave them all by himself.

Indeed, for years, Kai had nopony, nobody. Until he was taken in by Rarity's parents. They sheltered him, but he never really bonded with them. Not immediately. His first real bond ended up being Rarity, and Kai loved her like they were true siblings. Then, he bonded with her parents, and oversaw Sweetie Belle growing up. By all means, this was his family. And he loved them dearly.

However, no matter what, Kai always felt that he could always count on Rarity. Their parents were busy, and Sweetie Belle was too young. Rarity was his partner—his soulmate, in a way. He loved her in a way that went beyond familial bond, but never as a lover. He held her to a higher light than even himself, and she felt the same.

Many times, Kai would think to himself, ‘If I hadn't met Rarity, I'd probably be dead somewhere.’ It wasn't just an exaggeration. He knew that he would have left their parents if not for Rarity, and that would end in Kai being on the streets again, starving, and eventually dying. He would think ‘If Rarity was gone, I'd have no real reason to care about Ponyville.’ Ponyville hated him, and the only reason he didn't treat them with extreme hostility was because he knew Rarity wanted to be famous. She had to start in Ponyville, so he couldn't wipe it out.

Shortly put, Rarity was Kai's reason. His reason to fight. His reason for not destroying. His reason to care.

So, rage can never even come close to the emotion Kai felt when the Demon King Cargo took Rarity's life right in front of his eyes.

Kai stood before the demon, hair spiked up and blonde, eyes teal and in a deathly scowl, and his muscles expanded larger than usual. In a chilling voice, Kai grounded out his obvious intentions.

“I'm going to kill you.”


Chapter 9

A Super Saiyan's Anguish


Fluttershy's jaw clenched tight as she flew from the impending battle. In her hooves was her closest friend for nearly two months. It distressed her, feeling the warmth leaving the unicorn's body, and knowing it would not return. But more than anything, because her worry about the dead would be wasted, she worried about Kai. Rarity had told her their relationship, and it was something she actually envied. Her own brother could take several pages from Kai's book.

But now that she was gone, Fluttershy worried about Kai. She feared to see what the expression on his face would be after the rage left it. It hurt her to think that a punished soul like Kai's would be subjected to even more punishment.

Fluttershy glanced back, able to see a large torrent of energy, even from this distance. A cold glare formed on the normally gentle caretaker's face.

“…Take him out, Kai.”


Demon King Cargo was beginning to feel fear. For the first time since he was sealed, he felt fear. But this time, rather than fear for his freedom, he feared for his life. This power before him was unlike any he had ever felt.

However, despite all of that, the Demon King refused to sit and allow himself to be killed. He grit his teeth and glared at the boy, curbing his fear for the moment.

“You think you can kill m—” He made the mistake of sticking his tongue out a little too far during his yell, so when his teeth were suddenly forced to meet, he lost a good portion of it.

Kai had never looked more serious as he uppercutted the demon's jaw, silencing him. As blood spurted from the detatched bit and his remaining tongue, Kai followed up with a mighty roundhouse kick.

Cargo was launched away, skidding into a slightly more populated section of Ponyville. The townsponies stared in shock as the demon struggled to his feet. He spat out the blood that had accumilated in his mouth, and dedicated a bit of energy to healing it fully.

Kai hovered down in front of him shortly, arms crossed, glare sharp. The look infuriated Cargo.

“Do you expect me to grovel!?”

“No. That would imply I had intentions of sparing you.” Cargo forced himself to be calm after hearing that. He could have tried to blast him away, but such an idea seemed foolish. He would need every advantage he could get.

Cargo glared to his side, and met the eye of a random pony, staring up in shock with her peers. He smirked.

“If you come any closer, these lovely ponies will—” Before he finished, Cargo saw Kai extend his hand towards the ponies he wanted to use as leverage. Never breaking his stare, Kai used his ki to blast every pony to nothingness. Cargo stared in complete bewilderment. “Y…you… You're a real monster!”

Kai scoffed.

“Cute.” Cargo suddenly found himself on the ground from a particularly powerful backhand. “I'm beyond making you suffer. Die.” Decisively, Kai extended his hand to Cargo, and forced him to share a fate with the ponies from earlier.

“F…fool…! As if I haven't… covered my bases…!” Cargo managed to grit out as he was being destroyed. “You will… be killed… one… day…”

With that declaration, Cargo was no more.

The carnage around the area was painful to see, considering how long Ponyville had been around, and how long its founding took. Kai stared at the damage impassively, his eyes becoming emotionless. What reason was there to show emotion anymore? Kai did not know. His only reason was gone now.

Despite trying to keep emotionless, tears began falling down the saiyan's face. His hair fell, turning back to its usual black. His tear-filled eyes returned to onyx. His muscles receeded slightly.

All of this time, his quest was supposed to fill him with purpose. To make him feel alive. But at the very end of it, he felt more dead than even his deceased sister. His quest was for nothing.

…His quest…

His quest?

His quest! Of course!

Kai brainstormed and shot back to his home as fast as he possibly could. Being that he wasn't very far, he made it there in a split-second and quickly searched the inside. When he had given Rarity the Dragon Balls he found, she put them on her worktable. That, plus the balls in his satchel, he finally had all seven in his possession.

The saiyan went outside, emptying the satchel to have all seven Dragon Balls on the ground. Suddenly, he realised there was something wrong: he did not know the incantation to summon Shenron.

“Uh…um… Shenron, grant my wish!” Nothing happened. “A-appear before me, Shenron!” Nothing. “Please, Shenron!” He was begging, all for naught. Suddenly, he hatched one final idea.

Kirin. Kirin had been some kind of god, according to the kirins. Rain Shine told him the Dragon Ball made the kirins feel closer to their god. That meant that if anyone in the world knew about the Dragon Balls, it was Kirin.

Kai stuffed the Dragon Balls into his satchel, barely making them all fit to seal them inside. With the satchel around his waist, he took flight and made his way to the Peaks of Peril once again.


Fatigue finally hit Kai as he lowered to the village of the kirins. He slammed into the ground loudly, getting many surprised looks from the kirins. They all recognised him as Kai, their savior, and moved to assist him.

“My word, Kai! Are you alright?”

“Easy, buddy.”

“Up you go, big guy.”

The kirins helped him up to his feet, and he staggered to remain standing. Kai panted, his body taxed to its limits.

“Thanks…” Already, he could tell that he would never ascend the tower like this. He just needed a small bit of energy. Kai spotted the cured water source for the kirins, and tried to limp over to it. “Agh!” He fell, unable to walk properly.

“Woah, hey! Let us help you!” The eight or so kirins supported Kai's wavering body, helping him crawl to the water source.

“Here you go.” The set him down softly, allowing him to drink at his own pace. Drink, he did. The saiyan gulped substantial amounts of water, feeling his body immediately accepting the liquid to relieve his body slightly.

It was no senzu bean, but it would suffice for now. Kai stood up, getting help once again, but not needing it as much. His breathing was less strained, and he felt he would be able to scale the tower now. He gave the kirins a look.

“Thank you all for your help. Could you tell Rain Shine and Autumn Blaze I came by, but had to go to Kirin Tower?” As if they would deny such a simple request from their savior. They all chimed out their compliance, bringing a small smile to Kai's face. “Thanks. I'm off.”

With a short wave, Kai flew off toward Kirin Tower.


Kirin blinked at seeing Kai crash-land in front of him. Seeing how damaged the boy was, he quickly went through his robes to grab a senzu bean. Finding it, he approached Kai and knelt down.

“Here, Kai. It's a senzu bean.” Half-conscious, Kai slowly chewed the bean, before finally swallowing it. In an instant, his body was rid of any scratches and cuts, and he hopped to his feet.

Instead of giving thanks, he got straight to buisiness.

“Kirin, help me summon Shenron!” Kirin frowned.

“Unfortunately, I don't know how to do such a thing.” Kai's eyes widened.

“Wh-what? But you're connected to them, aren't you!? Rain Shine told me the Dragon Ball was given to her by their god—by you!”

The hermit's frown deepened.

“True, it was bestowed to her by a god… But I am not that god. In truth, watching over this tower was a duty bestowed unto me by my creator.” Kai's hopes finally died, and the look in his eyes darkened.

“Then you are useless to me.” Kirin flinched, the tone completely unfamiliar. Was this the boy's true nature being shown? In any case, Kirin had something else to say.

“Perhaps I am. However, I can direct you to my creator.” The hermit lifted a brow when he saw that dark look in Kai's eyes fade away. Shaking his head, Kirin elaborated. “Up above this tower is where my creator resides. The true god above this world. Kami.”

“Kami?” Repeated the saiyan. “He can show me how to use the Dragon Balls?” The hermit nodded. “Then I'm going up.”

“Wait.” Kai gave him an impatient glare. “After what you did, do you really believe you are worthy to meet God?” Kai spared a confused brow. “Killing those innocent ponies out of rage.”

Kirin had expected many things. A scoff. A shrug. An apology. An admission of guilt. A realisation of unworthyness. However, Kai's next action chilled Kirin to his bones.

Kai laughed. Loud. As if he had just heard the greatest joke in his entire life. Kirin only stared in shock. As Kai calmed himself, he glared at the hermit.

“Don't delude yourself, old fool. I care more for the dirt below Ponyville than its inhabitants. Living with a bunch of fools that would only fear me because I looked different, ostracising me and hating me. My own mother included. How much do you think someone can take?” Put like that, Kirin had a hard time arguing. “Anyway, I only killed them because I didn't remember the legend said ‘ANY one wish’.”

‘Truly, not pure of heart. This boy is the farthest from pure. If not for this chance of reviving his friend, he would be pure EVIL.’ For an instant, Kai's deepened scowl scared Kirin, the hermit thinking his thoughts were heard, and had displeased the saiyan in front of him. He knew it wasn't true, so he calmed himself.

“…Very well. I suppose it isn't my place to judge you, anyway. Kami will do that.” Kai shrugged, and took to the air. Weaving around the ceiling of the structure, he ended up above it, and looked up at the sky. Already far above the clouds, there seemed to be nothing else out there. However, he doubted the hermit would lie.

With a quick breath, Kai took off upwards.

Kirin looked after him, sighing tiredly.

“Unfortunately, it was the predudice of fools that could very well bring about their demise. I only hope the Dragon Balls are as powerful as Kami says they are…”


Eventually, a seemingly magically floating stucture came into view. Kai grunted, noting the size to be larger than the stucture atop Kirin Tower. In no time, he managed to make it to the top, and landed on the white tiles that made up the floor. The place was surprisingly vast, but Kai cared not for any of it.

The saiyan stepped forward, looking for any signs of life.

“Hey! Kami! Get out here!” He demanded, fists clenched. Kai sensed movement, and turned his gaze to the lone structure on this floating island. Out from the structure walked an individual that would have caused Kai great rage, had he been a bit more brash. He took a moment to look over the carbon copy of…

“Cargo.” The exact same. The only difference was his clothing, but even the color scheme was a match. He wore robes much like Kirin's, in a dark blue color, though he was without a cane. His calm stare met Kai's glare.

“Once. However, never again.” Kai recalled the legend, the part about the demons being one. So if this one wasn't Cargo, obviously, he was…

“…Kami.”

“Indeed. Welcome to my Lookout.” The half saiyan wasted no time in approaching Kami. He stared, and waited for him to speak. “I know what you need…and yet… I can't—”

“Cut the crap, god. Can you help me or not?” Kai interrupted impatiently.

“Very well. I can, but I need something in return. Rather, the world needs something in return.” Kami replied bluntly.

“Finally, something I can use.” Kai unzipped his satchel and pooled the Dragon Balls onto the floor. He gave them a hurried gesture. “Make them work and I'll do whatever you want.”

Kami frowned, but didn't protest. He walked towards the balls, and then gave Kai a questioning gaze.

“Just to check… You're having difficulties, even after stating ‘Rise, Shenron’?” Kai blinked.

“Wait, it's that easy?” Kami facefaulted. The saiyan may have a serious streak…but he was still an idiot. Kami slowly stood, giving a deadpanned stare to Kai. Kai ignored it, and threw his hands over the Dragon Balls. With a serious stare, he spoke the words given to him. “Rise, Shenron!”

Immediately, the sky darkened.


In Canterlot, Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia laughed without a care in the world. Twilight had never realised that her want for further knowledge had deprived her of a truly proper foalhood. Giving a push here had her realising how motherly Celestia could be. Conversely, Celestia had only known worry for so very long. Letting loose and having fun with her student gave her a feeling she hadn't genuinely felt in too long. Happiness.

Celestia draped a wing over Twilight's form, the duo enjoying their weekly ice-cream treat.

“Huh?” Twilight's sudden confusion was shared by Celestia, both looking up and around. “Princess? Why did you make it night?”

“I… did not.” Celestia tried to ignite her sun through the darkness, but nothing happened. This darkness did not respond to her light. “Wait a moment… could this be…?”

Somehow, the two thought of the same conclusion at the same time.

“Kai…?”


For the most part, the dragons of the Dragon Lands did as dragons do. Practice fire, fight over possessions, sleep… There wasn't much to do around there, hence why most dragons found their own amusement through other means elsewhere.

Far from the norm, however, was the daughter of the all powerful Dragon Lord resting on her father's lap, the most content look on her face. Sure, she hadn't seen her savior since he saved her, but the event ended up making her father more protective and, dare she say, loving. It was about as loving as one could expect from a cold ruler, but it was more than enough for Ember.

The girl smiled an uncharacteristically bright smile, sparing her father a glance. She could swear his gaze flicked forward. Had he been looking at her?

Before she could muse on it, both dragons' brows twitched, and their eyes picked up on the sudden dimming of the sky. The sky fully dimmed, blotting out the sun, and causing every dragon in the area to look around in confusion.

“Daddy—er—father? What's happening?” Ember asked, feeling similar confusion. Her confusion grew when she saw her father grin widely.

“EVERYONE BOW!!” Still confused, the dragons heeded the order, bowing low to the ground. “You as well, my daughter.” Ember blinked, but found her eyes widening when she saw Torch hunch over slightly, eyes closed. Her father…was bowing. Ember hurriedly followed his lead. “The saiyan Kai has succeeded in his quest! Lord Shenron will grace our world with his presence! Be grateful!”

And everyone was. As much as they wished to cheer at the legend being fufilled, they simply remained bowing. The saiyan worthy of dragon blood had summoned the strongest dragon of them all. What more could be said except… ‘Amazing’?


“Is that suppose to happen?” Kai asked Kami, brow raised. Kami simply nodded. “Alright.” The look on the saiyan's face became completely determined. Then, suddenly, a bolt of yellow lightning emitted from the gathered Dragon Balls, rising high into the air. It crackled loudly, before finally reaching its peak. Abruptly, the lightning seemed to fade, and it shifted into the form of a grand dragon, its scales green and its eyes red. It was unlike anything Kai had seen before.

Then, the dragon spoke.

“You who has summoned me… You may ask for any one wish. State it now.” Kai stared in awe for several seconds.

“This is… Shenron…” The dragon gazed down at him with disinterested eyes. Kai's fists clenched. “Alright! Listen and listen good, Shenron! My wish is to revive Ra…” Kai trailed off, feeling an odd ping in his gut. Similar to the one trying to ward him away from helping the kirins. He ignored that one to do a good thing. This one… what was it trying to tell him?

If she knew, how would she look at you…?’ That voice… it felt familiar, somehow… yet, he never recalled hearing it. But, instead of paying attention to the voice, he deciphered the words.

Rarity.

Kai closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and looked back to the dragon.

“…is to revive everyone caught in the crossfire of the Demon Lord and my battle.” A few seconds passed as Shenron registered the wish, Kami behind the boy with a proud smile.

“Such is a simple wish.” Shenron glowed, as did the Dragon Balls. “Your wish has been granted. Farewell.” Just as awing as he appeared, the dragon faded into another bolt of lightning, seeming to carry the Dragon Balls into the air. The relics circled the lightning, increasing in speed until they appeared as a single orange circle. Then, they all were launched far away, each in different corners of the world.

Kai let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding. He looked over to Kami, who was standing with his hands behind his back, smiling at the boy.

“You had me believing you were nearly gone. I'm glad to see you still care.” Kai simply grunted, choosing not to explain his reasons for reviving everypony. Instead, he crossed his arms and gave a challenging look.

“I'm gonna go see my friend. Any protests?”

“As a matter of fact, yes.” Kai lifted an eyebrow. “I have news that may be distressing for you. My other half, Cargo, had made a stop before Ponyville.” Kami sighed, looking up. “He knew that time passing would mean stronger warriors. He acknowledged the fact that someone may defeat him. So, he sacrificed a rather decent portion of his power, and created a child in his image. So long as he persists, the world you know will be in danger.”

Kai's confusion also persisted.

“Let's just destroy him, then. Simple.” It was simple to Kai.

“That simply will not work.” Kami denied. “His ki cannot be sensed in the state he is in. Even when that state has passed, he can surpress his ki. Preemptively striking is out of the question.”

“…Then why can't I leave? Shouldn't I be closer to Ponyville, in case he strikes anytime soon?” The saiyan reasoned.

“Ah, but that's just it. I know exactly when he will strike.” Kai's fists clenched in preparation. “Being linked to Cargo, I could hear his final telepathic communication to his child. He plans to have the child strike on the day of Nightmare Moon's supposed arrival. To instill fear in as many as possible on a grand scale.” Kami held up two fingers, giving Kai a look of complete seriousness. “That will be in two years. Everyday of which, this child of Cargo's will be training hard. You must respond in kind. No distractions, no detours.”

Kai stared at the god for several seconds, registering what was just told to him. He would have to undergo nonstop training to counter another's nonstop training? Technically nothing new, except whenever he trained in the past, he always had his family supporting him.

“…Two years of training, then I'm free to go?”

“Actually, you'll be training for three years.” Kai refused to show confusion here. Clearly Kami had some method to cram another year in, otherwise, he'd be suggesting leaving Ponyville unattended for the year Cargo's child would invade.

“Fine. I accept. You'd better be ready, 'cause I've still got some steam to blow off.”

Kami smiled a calm kind of smile, and turned to walk toward the structure. Without needing to be told, Kai began following.

“These will be your hardest years, Kai. Physically, at least. I guarantee you, everyday will end with you being dead-tired.” Kai snorted. “You'll even learn to properly sense what you cannot see. For instance, you just raised your eyebrow, and put your hands in your pockets.” The boy's eyes widened because what Kami said was true. He had raised his eyebrow when told of sensing, and put his hands in his pants pockets idly.

“H-how…!?” Kami smiled at him.

“You must learn to see with your body. It will be a process. Come now.” Kai couldn't shake his sudden excitement. He almost couldn't wait to learn these kinds of things.

The two walked into the structure, silent and determined.

‘Just wait for me… Rarity.’


Blue eyes flickered open suddenly. The light of the sun blinded them momentarily, but they could shrug the brightness off quickly with a squint.

“…Where…” Her voice croaked out. She tried to say more, but she could not muster up the energy. However, her single word yielded a gasp, but not from her. She shifted her gaze to the one who gasped, and locked onto a familiar form.

“R…Rarity…?” It was Fluttershy, her forehooves in front of her mouth and her eyes wide. Her jaw was quivering ever so slightly.

“Flutter…shy…?” Her mind was still piecing things together. Abruptly, she found herself in a gentle but heartfelt embrace.

“RARITY!!” Rarity winced. Fluttershy was never that loud, so that was rather unexpected. Out of reflex, she hugged the caretaker back, appreciating her warmth. “I-I-I thought you were…! Were…!” The pegasus sobbed, unable to say the word.

It all came back to Rarity, and she took a breath. Her body felt just fine. How? She had been killed by the Demon Lord.

“Collect all seven and you get a wish—any one wish!” Rarity's mind played back Kai's enthusiastic explaination of the Dragon Balls two months ago.

The unicorn found herself smiling, as she sunk into her best friend's hooves.

“It's okay, Fluttershy. It's okay.” She assured, only for the mare to sob harder, hugging even tighter. Something important occured to Rarity. “Where's Kai?”

“…He… He's fighting that monster. I can't feel anymore tremors… so I think he won.”

‘That would make sense. Nopony else would revive me.’ Rarity looked to Fluttershy, who was looking up at her like a filly would their parent. Rarity smiled and nuzzled against the pegasus to ease her worries. Fluttershy calmed notably, her sobs ending as she hugged her friend. The unicorn looked to the sky thoughtfully. ‘Kai… Why do I have the feeling… we won't see each other for a long time…?’

Her intuition never failed her… and that was what saddened her. Still, glad to be alive, Rarity took it in stride. She knew she'd see him one day. So with a smile, she sent out thought to her brother.

‘I'll be waiting for you… Kai.’

Author's Note:

Kai appears to have found an end to this journey of his, finding all of the Dragon Balls and bringing his dear sister back with them. However, with danger lurking, two years seems like no time at all. The spawn of Cargo is not the only danger, however...

The next chapter will officially start the story from the canonical first episode. But surely the changes a certain saiyan made won't simply be forgotten over the years, now will they?