• Published 6th Mar 2021
  • 786 Views, 20 Comments

Dragon Road Season 1 - FoolMeThrice



A story about a half-saiyan on a quest to discover his destiny, and help his new friends along the way.

  • ...
1
 20
 786

Applejack and Kai


“What did you just say?”

“BUCKING. Apple-BUCKING.” Rarity stressed, already knowing exactly what her older brother heard. “Applejack spoke of it recently. Apparantly, Apple-bucking season starts tomorrow, and during it, there's almost a surplus of apples to be bucked.” Now, she shrugged. “All I'm saying is it might be in your interest to help out. After all, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie don't know you as well as myself, Fluttershy and Twilight. It would be a good opportunity to bond!”

Kai put a finger to his chin. True, he didn't know the others very well, and they didn't know him. In fact, he hadn't even personally gifted them the tickets last week—he gave them to Twilight so she could give it to them.

“Alright! So all I'd need to do is hit the trees and cart the apples to their barn?” Rarity hummed in affirmation. “Then, I'm off!”


Chapter 13

Applejack and Kai


Applejack didn't really know what she was watching. One minute, she was hearding a stampede away from town. The next, when she returned to buck apples, apples were falling from trees. Just… an entire tree's worth of apples, falling into the baskets set to catch them. Then, she realised what was happening upon seeing the cause slow down.

The farmpony recalled being told of him, somewhat, but what she got was vague. After all, the ponies who knew him best, she hadn't had the time to hang out with enough for him to come up as a topic.

“Hey, you!” Kai stopped, catching an apple and glancing back at the mare. “Stop buckin' them apples!”

“Excuse me!? I've done nothing of the sort!” Kai protested, stomping towards Applejack.

“Then how're these apples fallin', huh?”

“It's called ‘Apple-bucking’, ya hick. Thought that was your specialty.”

“That's what I SAID.”

“It is? Oh, I thought you said… nevermind.” Another misinterpretation from Kai. “Anyway, I thought I'd help you out since we barely know each other.”

“Well… uh…”

“Kai.”

“Kai. I don't need your help, and I don't need nopony else's help, ya hear? I'm gonna take care of this whole season by myself!” Kai put his hands on his hips, glancing back at the large amount of trees left to buck.

“…What makes apple-bucking season so special, anyway?”

“Them trees ya see are just hidin' the rest.” Lifting a brow, Kai ascended high enough to see past the initial rows of trees. He blinked before lowing back to the ground. “Ya see?”

“Oh, there's no way you'll do this without crashing at day three, tops.” Kai told her bluntly. Before she could protest, Applejack found herself catching an apple, seeing it was the one Kai had been holding. “I'll leave you to it, country girl. But I'll be back later to grab a few apples to eat.”

The mare watched briefly as the saiyan walked away, whistling a tune to himself. Her teeth grit.

“Hey, Kai!” He turned. “It ain't ‘country girl’, or ‘hick’. It's Applejack!”

At that, Kai smiled.

“See ya, Applejack.”


For the next few days, there was a schedule. Applejack would wake up, go about her morning rituals, go outside, and then yell at Kai for bucking the trees. The second day of this, he stuck around, and they talked, the saiyan subtly helping the mare.

“So, why ARE you doing this alone? You live alone on this huge farm?” Kai wondered, palm-striking a tree across from the one Applejack faced.

“Nah… I got my Granny Smith, my lil' sis Apple Bloom, and my big bro, Big Macintosh. Usually, me and Big Mac would do the harvest, but he done got himself hurt.” Applejack explained.

“And you think it's your responsibility to complete it all alone, now.” Although it wasn't a question, Applejack still nodded. “I can respect that. But you know you're not alone, right?”

“Forgive my sayin', but it ain't like I'll rely on somepony I just properly met yesterday.” Kai chuckled as he knocked another tree of its apples. Applejack watched him do this, but only sighed. “…But… I appreciate the sentiment.”

“Yeah.”


The next day was even better for them.

“So, wait. You're sayin' you can shoot lasers from them… hands, of yours?” The duo was taking a short break under a tree, each eating an apple.

“Yup. It's really only good for destruction, so I don't use 'em in town much.” Kai said, taking a bite of his apple.

“Now that I think about it, you'd think I'd notice somethin' like yourself in town…” Applejack trailed off, silently asking a question.

“Ah, yeah, I tend to avoid going into town. Less hassle, ya know?” While she didn't understand his true reasons for avoiding town, she could understand that sometimes, steering clear of others made life a bit easier.

“I hear that.”


The third day brought laughs around.

“Ahahaha!”

“So, yeah! I think I do a pretty good snob impression!” Boasted Applejack. Kai wiped away a tear, still laughing.

“I'll say!”


Then, on the fourth day…

“Hey, Kai!” Kai halted, knowing that this was usually followed with a demand to stop. Though, she must have been anticipating him, as she called a lot sooner. “C'mon in! Can't work on an empty stomach, can ya?”

Kai stared for a second, before a grin broke out across his face.

“Yeah! Be right there!”

And breakfast had been… interesting, to say the least.

“And you can feel each one?”

“Yup.” Kai answered Apple Bloom's question, wiggling his fingers to show each one was under his control.

“What about when it gets cold? Ya don't have fur!”

“I just wear more clothes.”

“Woah... But what about—”

“Now, Apple Bloom, quit playin' twenty questions with the poor guy!” Applejack scolded, the young filly settling down. Kai smiled, not quite minding answering the questions, but definitely prefering to take at least one bite of his breakfast.

It was informative enough to the secretly similarly curious Granny Smith and Big Macintosh. The stallion was a bit more curious about something else, though…

“Finally acceptin' some help, Applejack?” To his question, Applejack rolled her eyes.

“He's the kind o' city folk that won't listen. No matter how many times I tell him not to help, he just does.” Kai chuckled, shrugging.

“I believe the word for that is ‘Friend’.”

“More like ‘Annoying’.”

It was interesting to watch them… Though Big Macintosh was curious once again.

“How did y'all meet, anyhow?”

“Romantically.” Kai grunted as Applejack punched him for that one. “I fought this evil dude who was about to fight her and her friends, right after their harmony stuff.”

“But, we didn't actually talk 'till a couple days ago.”

“Now, we're… uh… hit me with some of that southern twang.” Applejack gave him a deadpanned stare, before being unable to help a smirk from her face.

“Closer n' two pees in a pod.”

“Yeah!”

Granny Smith and Big Macintosh looked to each other, and mutually decided that, as long as Applejack wasn't pushing herself too hard, Kai was okay in their book.


“Geez, how long does this season last?” Kai wondered, striking his twenty-sixth tree of the day.

“It's not that it lasts long or nothin'. Everything grows all at once, so it all depends on how fast ya buck.” Applejack replied, bucking her tenth tree.

“And you were gonna do this alone?” Applejack chuckled.

“I would be now, if a certain somepony decided to listen.”

“Who would that be?” Kai laughed off innocently. The mare rolled her eyes, and simply continued working.

Kai could respect her stubborness, in a way. But, he still had his tendancies to butt his head in where he probably shouldn't, so he was in this for the long run.


“So, Applejack. I heard you're gonna get a trophy for being reliable or something.” Kai brought up, smiling at Applejack.

“Yeah, I guess everypony appreciates my help so much, they wanna give back. I don't really want nothin', but it's mighty nice of them.” Applejack replied with a scratch of her head.

“Aw, is somepony embarrassed?”

“I'll buck you.”

“E-excuse me?”

“Now, you know exactly I said!”

“I know. I just like to mess with ya.”

The mare shook her head, carting apples away from him.

“More trouble than help, I swear.” But her small smirk could not be denied.


And, true to their conversation, a vast majority of Ponyville was gathered up in front of a spiced up Carasoul Boutique. Apple-themed banners, a stand for speaking, and a curtain for the grand reveal of their hero.

“And so, with no further ado, it is my privilege to give the prize, Pony of Ponyville Award, to our beloved guest of honor, a pony of the utmost trustworthiness, reliability, and integrity. Ponyville's most capable and dependable friend: Applejack!” Mayor Mare exclaimed from behind the podium, gesturing to the large trophy first, then to the slowly opening green curtain.

To everypony's momentary surprise, Applejack wasn't there. The cheers died down, but only for a second.

“Yee-haw!” From above, Applejack was falling towards the stand, finally rolling to a stop just in front of her trophy. She turned to the mayor and smiled. “Well howdy there, Miss Mare! Thank ya kindly for this here trophy!” The Mayor smiled back, stepping away to allow Applejack to speak to the crowd. “Thank y'all for comin' to see me! Mighty flatterin'!”

“Thank YOU for saving us from that scary stampede, Applejack.” It seemed Twilight Sparkle still didn't quite understand how crowd energy worked, but it worked out, as everypony cheered in agreement.

“I just like to help, nothin' special.”

“Three cheers for Applejack!” Pinkie Pie screamed abruptly. “Hip hip—”

“Hooray!”

As they cheered thrice for Applejack, the mare covered her face with her hat.

“Aw, shucks… Y'all are makin' me blush.” ‘Guess I really am embarrassed… Oh!’ Applejack smiled out at the crowd. “If I can take a minute to be honest. For the last week, y'all have probably wondered where I've been.” A few ponies made noises of curiousity, having wondered that very thing. “I've been takin' care of the apple harvest, which I planned to tackle alone. But a certain somepony helped out, even though I told them not to. If I can be honest, though, without him, I'd be burnt out by now.” Everypony but one questioned who this mystery helper was, and why he wasn't here. “I asked him to join me here, but I guess he's a bit shy. Can't blame him, with a reception like this.”

After a little while of cheering and thanking, the crowd slowly dispersed, leaving the group of six friends. Rainbow Dash was the first to question the mare.

“Who helped you out, Aj?”

“Y'all remember Kai? Tall guy, black mane, stands on two legs?”

“THAT guy!?” The pegasus' face instantly soured.

“Yeah. He helped me out a ton—I reckon he's over there workin' right now.” Trading glances with each other, it was Twilight to speak up next.

“Do you need any more help?”

“The more the merrier.”


“Wooooo!” Was what the group heard upon approaching. Well, it was more like “Woo—oo—oo—oo!” Rarity, naturally, was the first to spot Kai moving at mach speeds, shooting off ki balls at the apple trees.

“Good morning, Kai!” Kai slowed a bit, able to be seen by everypony.

“Yo!”

“Ah! Hey! I thought ya said that was destructive!” Applejack protested immediately.

“Usually, yeah! But I just learned how to give it impact, instead of destructive force. You got, like, ten more trees, then this season's over~!” Kai landed to the ground, grinning.

“Then take five! We got the rest!”

As Kai chuckled and took a seat midair, the girls started on the last of the trees and carting the apples to the barn.

“Thanks for helpin' me all this time, Kai. I really appreciate it.” Applejack spoke sincerely.

“If you wanna go out, just say so.” Kai was suddenly subjected to an apple to his face. He caught it before it could hit the ground and chuckled. “Guess not.”

The group started to laugh together. Glad everything turned out alright.