• Published 24th Jan 2021
  • 773 Views, 9 Comments

Life's Storm - Snow Quill



Life is hard, messy, and one hell of a storm. No one knows this better than Lightning Dust.

  • ...
0
 9
 773

No Matter The Weather

The cloud is rough under my hooves, churning with energy and filled to the brim with water droplets. I push it towards the larger mass my weather team is putting together for tonight’s storm. Stellar Eclipse comes up beside me with his own bundle of rain cloud and pats it into place.

The wind picks up and I raise my voice so my team can hear me, “Alright listen up, this storm cloud is almost ready, just a few more.”

A series of ‘yes ma'ams!’ ring out and I fly above the cloud to supervise. I glance to my right, down at the little frontier town I called ‘home’. Ponies, mostly earth ponies, were getting ready for the rain, pulling tarps over wagons, gathering firewood, and shuttering windows. Near the back end of the town is my own home, where my marefriend is probably securing our own windows and getting some hot cider ready for when I get home.

It’s almost funny, I never thought I would live on the ground in an earth pony town - much less date one of them - but what’s that saying about life not always going how you expect?

Stellar flies up and salutes me, “The storm cloud is ready, captain.”

I nod at him. “Good.” I raise my voice again, “Let’s wrap it up and get this storm rolling, then we can all go home.”

There are whoops and cheers as I rejoin my team. In no time, we finish shaping the storm, and all that's left is to kick it off.

I turn, curl up my hind legs, and then strike them out in a firm buck. The clouds rumble before starting to move forward with the wind and the gentle pitter patter of rain begins.

I watch the storm for a minute before turning towards my team. “Good work today, now go home and be prepared for an early morning tomorrow, we got a tornado warning coming from the East.”

There are some concerned mumbles and sidelong glances between them and I frown. “Don’t give me that, I better see all you bright eyed and bushy tailed in the locker room ready to take on some rogue winds. It’s a tornado warning, meaning if we don’t get our flanks out there,” I point to the East before pointing behind me, “our town, our home will be flattened.”

More glances are had, but now there was a steely determination in their faces, the burning desire to protect home. I lift my head and smirk, “That’s more like it. Now go get some sleep.”

They salute me and disperse under the storm to the small weather outpost to gather their belongings before making their way home.

I hang back and watch them leave, a strange mixture of pride and...something else blooming in my chest. Pride for a job well done, obviously, but there’s something bitter about it too. This wasn’t supposed to be your life.

I grit my teeth.

You know this isn’t right.

Shut up.

You were supposed to be -

I said…

-captain of the-

SHUT UP.

I huff as I stuff the voice back down deep inside and race to the weather outpost.

~~

I am soaked by the time I open the door to my house, the gentle rainfall that had started earlier when I kicked off the cloud had given way to a steady downpour. I shake myself off on the porch, trying to dislodge as much of the water as I can. I know Fiddly will have towels ready for me, as well a hot cup of cider, like she always does when there’s a storm.

I take a moment to think about all she’s done for me. When I first moved here, she was playing her fiddle in the train station with her case open for bits. I only had a few bits left on me, but the way she was playing…

I was a broken mare, not even my hate could fuel me anymore but that song, her song, it gave me hope. I tossed in what I had left and she smiled, stopped playing, and tipped her hat. Somehow, I was able to strike up a conversation with her. She was kind and helpful in explaining the small town I had found myself in.

She had talked to me until nightfall, and when the station was closing, packed her fiddle away and asked me where I was going to stay…

...And then nearly hit me over the head with her case when she found out I had given her the last of my bits.

I grin at the memory. Even if she didn’t physically knock me over the head, the tongue lashing that came after was enough to shake something loose. She all but ordered me to crash on her couch - only to drag me off at dawn the next morning and practically throw me at the weather outpost.

And now, merely a year later, I found myself captain of the weather team. I had gone from nothing to everything; a stable job, a wonderful mare, and a cozy home. It seemed like the perfect life, the kind that everyone strives for.

My smile fades slightly as the voice tries to resurface. Perfect for others maybe, but you are the great Lightning Dust! You were destined for glory! You were going to be captain of the -

The door opens and a warm towel is thrown in my face. I chuckle and start to dry off, grinning slyly at the mare in the doorway. “Getting impatient were we?”

Her face twitches as she tries to hide her smile, “I was just hoping to bring you back is all.”

“Oh? Bring me back from where?”

She grins, “Space.”

I blink at her in confusion, “What? I know I’m on the weather team, but that doesn’t exactly make me an astronaut.”

She takes a step forward and nuzzles me, “No, but you had that look on your face again.”

“...Oh. Heh, sorry. Just...thinking about tomorrow’s assignment is all.”

I give her my signature smirk, “Not worried or anything of course. This is just a test, and you know how I ace every flying test thrown at me. I’m the best flier in Equestria after all.”

If she hears the crack in my voice, she doesn’t mention it. Instead, she comes to my side and, smiling, nudges me towards the door. “Come on Lightning, it’s getting late. Best flier in Equestria or not, you still need your sleep.”