• Published 26th Dec 2020
  • 702 Views, 47 Comments

A Draconic Meeting - Mystic Sunrise



Pearl and Twilight do something very few ponies have ever done. Meet Tiamat face to face.

  • ...
39
 47
 702

An Uninvited Guest

Before them was a blue dragon of prodigious size. If he wasn't as huge as some of the skeletons they had passed, then he was close to it. His frilled ears were almost lost behind the single, massive horn atop his short, blunt head. Rows of hornlets lined his brow ridges and ran back from his nostrils, which lay close to his eye sockets. A cluster of bladelike scales hung from his chin, while his teeth protruded from his mouth even while it was closed. His scales glistened an iridescent azure in the light. Lightening played between his scales, and he had the faint smell of ozone to him.

Pearl tried to stop her body from shivering in fear, but it was a lost cause. "Why am I so damn scared?" She whispered to Twilight.

Twilight shook her head, unable to keep her own body from shaking in fear as well. "We're in his Frightful Presence aura. A creature with a strong enough will can fight it off. But anything else will be rooted to the spot in fear or just flat out run in the other direction. If we run though, we're dead."

The dragon laughed, a sound not unlike thunder as he came eye to eye with them. "A pony who knows something of dragonkind? Impressive, though your presence is of no consequence." He turned to look at Pearl, earning an annoyed look from Twilight. "Are you the one they call 'Pearl Rose'?"

Pear tried to put on a brave face, but it was easier said than done. "That's me. Who's asking?"

The dragon chuckled. "Such fire for one so young. I am Lothaenorixius, and I am of few who view the Chromatic Dragon not just as my queen. But as my love. Above any and all others."

Twilight's jaw dropped in shock, as her rump fell to the ground. "She sent one of her Consorts?"

Lothaenorixius turned to look at her, an unimpressed look in his eyes. "And what would a pony know of such things?" His eyes narrowed, the faint hum of magic in the air for a moment. "This is not your proper form. Nor do you have your magic."

Twilight bit her lip. She was still peeved about that. "It was taken from me. A friend told me that I should get everything back when I return to the Ghost Gate. If it doesn't, Discord won't have any place to hide."

Lothaenorixius frowned, a sight Pearl never thought she'd see on something so big. "That misbegotten thing is still free?" Twilight nodded. "Then the one you ponies call Princess Celestia is more stupid and far too trusting than I had believed. It will cost you all one day."

Twilight didn't respond. A part of her wanted to argue the treatment of Princess Celestia. But a part of her, to her dismay, agreed with him. And it was only growing stronger day by day. She remembered well what Discord had tried to do to Starlight when she hadn't made him Principal of the School of Friendship.

Lothaenorixius returned his gaze to Pearl after a moment. "We should leave this accursed place. No sane mind can stay here and remain whole for long. Mortal kind was never meant to come here."

Pearl frowned. "Then how come we had to meet here? How the hay did we never see you? You stick out like a sore hoof!"

Twilight facehooved, while he only chuckled. "This is one of the very places where I, or any of us, can enter this plane of existence. As for how?" He pointed to behind the mountains in the distance. "I came in from another way than you. Your fight with the daemon drew me to your location."

Pearl bit her lip. Part of her didn't want to know more, but her mouth moved faster than her brain. "What was that thing?"

He frowned, while Twilight looked curious as well. "A nightmare given flesh. One of the Neverborn. Pushed through into this world, given shape by your fears and anger."

Pearl's ears dropped. She didn't like the sound of that. "Why me? Why does Tiamat even want to see me? I'm nothing special. I almost lost two that I love to this damn place! Why me?"

Twilight's heart sank, as she pulled her young student into a hug, one that Pearl was happy to return, while Lothaenorixius stayed quiet for a moment. "I cannot say for sure. She has said nothing of why she has taken an interest in you. Not even to us. Only that she has, and that is all that we need to know," he finally replied.

Pearl harrumphed and crossed her hooves in a pout. "Great. Just great." She finally thought of something that she had almost forgotten about. "How are we even getting to... wherever it is you're taking me anyway?"

He smiled, a rare sight on any dragon they knew other than Spike. "I know magic that will take us right to her Inner Sanctum, bypassing all the traps and guards. She is expecting us to arrive this way."

That eased Pearl's worries a little, as Lothaenorixius turned his gaze back to Twilight. "Your services are no longer needed. Go back to wherever it is that you came from. She will be returned to you when her business with my queen is concluded."

Twilight scowled as he turned away, beckoning Pearl to follow him. She was not about to let some overgrown lizard tell her what to do. Especially not after all they had gone through. "No. You won't."

Lothaenorixius stopped, his head turning back to look at her with a frown. "What did you say?"

Twilight walked right up to him, even as Pearl tried to stop her. "You heard me. You are not taking my student anywhere." She smirked. "Not without me at least."

Pearl facehooved, while Lothaenorixius' frown deepened. "And who are you, ant, to demand anything of me? You are not invited, and I suggest you turn tail and run back to whatever slimy hole you crawled out of. Before I decide I like the taste of pony and end your miserable existence."

Twilight's smirk grew as she marched right up to him. "Bring it on, lizard breath! I deal with Discord every single day. I think I can handle an overgrown gecko! Either let me go with you. Or kill me now, because I am not leaving without Pearl!"

Lothaenoirxious smile turned predatory. "Just for that. Your death will not be quick or painless!"

Pearl watched in mounting horror as Twilight stood her ground, while Lothaenorixius' smile only became worse and worse by the second. She had hoped that, after everything that had happened, that her teacher would return to Castle Black after seeing her to the drop-off. Apparently not. And without her magic, she didn't stand a chance. And to her shock and mounting horror, she realized that she didn't have the scroll Kohaku's mom gave her. It was still in back at the castle.

Running out of ideas, Pearl did the only thing she could think of. And threw herself between Twilight and Lothaenorixius. "No! I won't let you hurt her."

Twilight blinked in surprise, while Lothaenorixius was taken aback. "You would dare?"

Pearl nodded. "Damn right I would. I'm not going anywhere alone, and I don't give a buck who wants to see me! I nearly lost two I love because of this! I'm sick of it!" She flew up and landed so that she could look him in the eyes. "So here's the deal. Either Twilight comes with us. Or you go back alone. Because I am not going without her. Got it?!"

Twilight's jaw dropped farther and farther with each word her student said, while Lothaenorixius looked shocked. "You would dare turn down an invitation from the Dragon Queen herself?"

Pearl nodded. "If Tiamat doesn't like it, then she can get off her big, fat, scaley butt, and come here and tell me that herself. So what's it going to be, Lothaenorixius?"

Twilight's rump fell to the ground with a resounding thump, her brain unable to process what she was seeing and hearing from her Most Faithful Student. Lothaenorixius, meanwhile, was conflicted.

He had strict instructions to only bring the filly with him and no other. Why his mistress had such an interest in such a pony was beyond him. But the more he heard from her, the more he began to wonder. There was a fire in Pearl's soul, one that burned hotter than many ponies. That she would stand up to him like this spoke volumes to her courage and bravery. Was this was his queen had seen in her?

But more than that. It was the thought of returning in failure to Dragon Eyrie that made him hesitate. There was a constant battle between the Consorts for their queen's favor. Lothaenorixius was almost at the top of that ladder at the moment. Only the White Consort, Zinguthrac, stood higher in her confidence and intimacy at the moment. This would go a long way in knocking him off his perch.

In the end, though, his fear of failing his queen won out over his own thoughts, as he looked again at Twilight. "Very well then, pony. You may come with us as well. But do not think for a second that you are welcome. My queen will deal with you herself. And she is less forgiving than even I am for intruders. If you get lost, then you are on your own."

Twilight gulped, but nodded, as Pearl came to land beside her, as Lothaenorixius turned and seemed to rip open a tear in the fabric of reality. One that seemed to lead to a large cavern on the other side. Few other details could be made out about wherever it might be. "Follow me," he said gruffly, before stepping through.

Pearl and her teacher shared a look. "Are you sure about this? I don't know how that worked," Pearl said with a sheepish smile.

Twilight shook her head. "We don't have much choice. I would rather take my chances with Tiamat than try to find my way back to the Ghost Gate."

Pearl sighed as she flew through the portal. "Fine. Don't say I didn't warn you," she said before disappearing through it. Twilight rolled her eyes before following her through as well, the portal closing behind her a moment later. Leaving no sign at all that anyone had ever been there, to begin with.

Author's Note:

Just to fill in the gaps. Lothaenorixius' name is taken from the 3.5 Edition Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons and taken from the Sample Blue Dragons section of the book. As far as I know, the current Blue consort isn't named in Dungeons & Dragons. I could be wrong though.

And yes. I removed her home from Avernus in the Nine Hells of Baator, and I didn't use Tytherion, the Endless Night, from 4th Edition. So I moved her into Dragon Eyrie. Since this isn't set in the Forgotten Realms setting, it wasn't destroyed in the Spellplague.

The White Consort Zinguthrac's name came from the White dragon names section of the Fantasy Name Generators website here https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/dnd-white-dragon-names.php.